Good short animes?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Raven's Nest:
I just marathoned all 12 episodes of Puella magi madoka magical. That was pretty darn good blast from the makers of bakemongatari.
Toradora! Because it is also fan fucking tastic. Again around 25 episodes.

UncleUlty:

Usagi Drop(11 episodes), what slice of life should strive to be.

These are also good.

I'd also recommend Infinite Stratos, if for nothing more than Laura Bodewig.

Your Mileage may Vary, but here are a few that I've enjoyed over the years.

Record of Lodos War is 13 hour long episodes. It sequel series, Chronicles of the Heroic Knight is 27 episodes.

The Vision of Escaflowne is 26 episodes long.

Petshop of Horrors is 4 episodes.

Witch Hunter Robin is 26 episodes.

The Witchblade Anime series is 24 episodes.

The 4 Marvel Anime projects, Iron Man, Wolverine, X-men and Blade, are 12 episodes each.

Gunslinger girl is 13 episodes plus 2 Ovas

El Cazador de la Bruja is 25 episodes.

High School of the Dead was a good start. You should also check out shows like .hack//SIGN, Devil May Cry, Angel Beats and (one that's not all that short) Fullmetal Alchemist.

Go watch "Now and then, here and there.", if you dare...

No. 6. It's... I think 12... episodes of a great dystopian future (and two gay guys, obviously) with an absolutely beautiful story and the second most WTF ending in anime history (Paranoia Agent, this one goes out to you). Also, a cute gay couple :D And of course there are only a couple scenes where they show any affection but AWWWWWWWW, THEY'RE JUST SO ADORABLE TOGETHER!!!

Recently watched mirai nikki which was brilliant take a look at that. Also a film that was pretty good was king of thorn

The vast majority of these suggestions are far too suited for particular tastes, rather than series that are neutral and generally accepted as good by a wide audience.

The only "must-watch" anime for new (or relatively new) fans is Cowboy Bebop (26 episodes).

Another great series for anyone early in their anime-viewing career is Hellsing (13 episodes). Flawed, but stylish and fun.

OP, if watching Gurren Lagann made you realize you like the concept of large robots, Full Metal Panic! (26 episodes, plus two optional sequel series) is another good step towards that direction. If you like to think a little more while watching a mecha series, RahXephon (26 episodes) is good, and not too overpowering in its concepts. Neon Genesis Evangelion (26 episodes + 2 movies) is important, but is also more challenging, so work your way towards that.

There are many great comedy series worth watching, but a large portion of those rely upon a decent knowledge of Japanese culture, which anime fans usually gain over time. For a good comedy series that is immediately accessible, try Great Teacher Onizuka (43 episodes). It's longer than what you're requesting, but it's episodic enough that you don't need to watch it all the way through at once. If you'd prefer a shorter comedy, Cromartie High School (26 15-minute episodes) or School Rumble (26 episodes) are also good, though slightly less accessible.

FLCL (6 episodes) is unabashedly crazy fun, and I agree with the recommendation of Outlaw Star (26 episodes). Overall, though, take a look around. Recommendations can be helpful, but only you know your own tastes, so the best thing you can do is just to watch whatever sounds good to you. The worst that can happen is that you'll drop it after an episode or two.

Kizo:

The only "must-watch" anime for new (or relatively new) fans is Cowboy Bebop (26 episodes).

And yet, I don't get what all the fuss is about. I think I only finished the series because people kept telling me how good it was.
The only part I really liked was that fella on the horse.

I would recommend the first season of Soul Eater. Although the season ends in a kind of cliffhangger, the second season is not that great and the first is really great on its own.

Although this next anime is about 50 episodes long, it's still shorter than most animes: Eureka Seven. Yes, there will be a little more to comprehend in this anime, but it is really great, the art style is very appealing and there are a lot of funny/awesome moments in this anime if you see it through to the end. Also, both English and Japanese dubs sound great.

Going to throw my vote in for Outlaw Star and Cowboy Beebop, both were excellent. Also going to say Rurouni Kenshin, the main character is like Vash from Trigun but instead of it being a western in space it's set in feudal japan. I will also say don't watch past season 1, season 2 was pretty good but the ending was shit, so much so that I didn't bother watching season 3

CrimsonBlaze:
Although this next anime is about 50 episodes long, it's still shorter than most animes: Eureka Seven. Yes, there will be a little more to comprehend in this anime, but it is really great, the art style is very appealing and there are a lot of funny/awesome moments in this anime if you see it through to the end. Also, both English and Japanese dubs sound great.

Needed more Anemone and TheEND, in my opinion. But yeah, 'twas pretty cool.
Not too sure I like the idea of rock and metal becoming so marginalised, mind you.

S-CRY-ED is an excellent anime, one season long from what I can remember.

"Eden of the East"
12 episodes and two movies. It's like the "Bourne" movies done well.

Let's see.

A lot of people have said Death Note, and I will say it again. Death Note. Seriously.

Also, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is only 74 or 75 episodes isn't it? It's fairly short compared to a lot of anime. Though it may be a little too long for you. You didn't really specify how short is "short" to you.

Jonluw:

Elfen lied is good. 13 episodes.
Serial experiments lain, but it's mindfucky and might strike you as pretentious. 13 episodes.
Baccano. Great and a really different anime. 13 episodes.

Those two mentioned here are great. Just know with baccano you won't understand a thing until you get to the end.

Also Fair warning about Furi Kuri/FLCL the plot revolved around what I like to call Penis Head Robots. If thats your thing you might like it. Not my thing.

cnaltman62:
"Eden of the East"
12 episodes and two movies. It's like the "Bourne" movies done well.

except for the mindfuck halfway through and the utterly anti climactic ending.

Asura Cryin: Paranormal Mecha anime (yes; ghosts, demons, magic, and MECHA! It works.). Short, odd, and slightly perverted at times. Still pretty good. Final episode is epic as hell.

Tower of Druaga: A pretty good series that heavily parodies both video games and anime. Some of the best characters I have ever seen in an anime. Actually the first anime where the death of a character made me tear up.

FLCL: Audiovisual nonsense that somehow tells you the best story that ever existed.

Kurokami: Follows every single trope of action anime. Attacks are named, there are powerups out of nowhere, and every character has some form of tragic backstory. Yet instead of being just a mindless shonen genre cash in it manages to come alive and draw the viewer in. Story is great, action scenes (especially the first one) are fluid and awesome, and the soundtrack is one of my favorites.

Jonluw:
FLCL is great, sort of mindfucky, and only 7 episodes long!
Highly recommended.

Wait, seven?!
There's another episode?!
Where do I find this?!

OT: I support FLCL and something unmentioned so far (for whatever reason) Elfen Lied. Both are fantastic, nineish hours to watch both and it'll be the best nine hours you've spent in front of a screen.

Jonluw:

sky14kemea:
Sora No Woto is good. :0 It's an all female cast though, some people might not like that.

No, it's not that kind of all female.

You mean it's not the kind of silly everyday life/fooling around stuff that K-ON and Lucky star represent?

Then there's only one other kind of all female I can think of.
I never knew you were into that kind of stuff... (Why have I been imagining you as a girl all this time?)
Does one of these female characters happen to be in possession of tentacles?

Thanks you mentioned tentacles, now all I can think of is this fucked up tentacle scene. I don't know where I saw it but it's in my mind

FLCL (Yes it's spelled exactly like that) is definitely a must-see if you enjoyed Gurren Lagann.

Only 6 episodes, made by the same people, some of the zaniest humor you will ever see.

Obviously, this will have already be ninja'd by the 3rd page, but I must recommend it nonetheless for emphasis, and simply because it fits your criteria and anime resume best of anything I can think of at the moment.

sky14kemea:
There's no tentacles,

An anime with an all-female cast having no Tentacles? How revolutionary!

Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop
Michiko & Hatchin

All 3 are a MUST.

Other awesome anime: Katanagatari, Wolf's Rain, Ergo Proxy, Tiger & Bunny (cannot recommend this one enough), Black Lagoon, Mouryou no Hako, Seirei no Moribito

All under 30 episodes (Katanagatari not even 20).

If you don't mind watching currently airing anime, Zetman, Kids on the Slope (if you're into jazz), Tsuritama, and Lupin III are fantastic.

Matthew94:

DarkRyter:

Matthew94:
I'm in the mood to watch another anime but don't want to slog through multiple seasons to see the whole plot.

I've only watched:

High school of the Dead
Trigun
Gurren Lagann

From the sound of it, Boku no Pico is right up your alley. There's only three episodes, and I'm sure it'll appeal to your interests.

Wat...

Boku no Pico

"is a Japanese series of adult shotacon anime OVAs"

Shotacon...

"describes an attraction to young boys"

Wat...

How did...

Wha...

How did you come to such a conclusion?

It's a really, really old troll joke.
Typically always given to those asking for anime (usually newcomers to the medium), regardless of what they're looking for.
Most people never fall for it though, considering how overdone it is.

You have my condolences.

I see it as my duty to mention: Berserk, my alltime favourite. It's a medieval swordfight anime with bits of horror and has 25 episodes. But be warned, the Manga it's based on is still ongoing.

Another one would be: Needless, funny (almost, if not, parody), over-the-top supernatural action anime, 24 episodes.

If you want something completely random, watch: Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan (Club-to-death Angel Dokuro-chan), two seasons with a total of 6 OVA.

Dominion Tank Police
Gundam 0080,0083,08th MS team
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Panty and Storcking with Garterbelt
Akira (movie)
Ghost In The Shell (movie)
Aim For the top! Gunbuster
Cowboy Bebop

Baccano!
It's so very, very excellent. It's told non-linearly, in thirteen episodes, with time cuts within each episode, following a bunch of different characters as they interact. It takes place in 1929-1932, in Chicago, New York, and aboard The Flying Pussyfoot (yeah, that really is the name of the train). It's about bootleggers and thieves and immortal beings. It's rather violent, but hilarious and heartwarming moments outweigh the near-senslessly violent ones. Funimation (I think?) has the whole thing free on Youtube, watch the dubbed one, it's glorious.

Found the link!
First episode (sub-ed):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dCqwmto7X0&feature=relmfu
It's unfortunate they only have the first episode with subtitles, the english voice actors are great, and Oh Man, gangster accents. Trust me, watch the rest dubbed. The fun never ends.

Second episode (dubbed):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhttPUouBsE&feature=relmfu

All the rest you can click to from the side list bit on youtube.

Haha, I was going to say Gurren Lagann.

I really enjoyed Darker than Black, granted I've only seen the first season, but be warned, it's fairly grim (as the title may suggest). Some parts of how the first season was resolved are a bit eh, but other than that it had excellent characterization, solid atmosphere, intriguing story. All in all felt very well done.
It revolves around "Contractors", people who have powers ala Infamous conduits, but who have to pay a price every time they use their power, which can range from breaking their fingers to singing a song. Contractors are typically used as tools by organizations to further their own ends. Story deals primarily with intrigue, political secrecy.
Might be worth mentioning that I typically don't follow anime.

Look up Hetalia Axis Powers. The individual episodes are only about five minutes long. Short enough for ya?

One Piece is a nice and short anime, if you set aside about 1 week to watch it back to back you could cover the entire series with only moderate to severe risk of death.

I second anyone who mentioned Baccano. I haven't had that much fun watching show in a long time.

Matthew94:
SNIP

As always when people ask for recommendations of anime I will direct you towards this photo:

Open the image in a new tab if you can't read it.

It lists 66 extremely good anime series/films, shows which are the best of them, tells you how many episodes long they are and gives a nice short summary.

Anything I recommend you would already be on this list. Well, except for one. Sora no Otoshimono, But that's only if you're a hormone fuelled adolescent male.

Kizo:
Another great series for anyone early in their anime-viewing career is Hellsing (13 episodes). Flawed, but stylish and fun.

Really now?
You're going to recommend Hellsing, the tv series, over Hellsing Ultimate, the OVAs?
Sorry, but if that was your intention, you are wrong. Simply wrong.

soes757:

Wait, seven?!
There's another episode?!
Where do I find this?!

It appears I'm shit at counting. FLCL has 6 episodes.

217not237:
No. 6. It's... I think 12... episodes of a great dystopian future (and two gay guys, obviously) with an absolutely beautiful story and the second most WTF ending in anime history (Paranoia Agent, this one goes out to you). Also, a cute gay couple :D And of course there are only a couple scenes where they show any affection but AWWWWWWWW, THEY'RE JUST SO ADORABLE TOGETHER!!!

This is one of the few anime that I'd strongly recommend to stay away from.
It's not that the series contains a homosexual relationship, but it is a shonen ai series.
This means that around episode 3 or so, the series pretty much drops the plot in favour of focusing on the sexual tension between the two main characters.
After six more episodes or so of nothing happening other than one of the leads rescuing the other from a prostitue by sacrificing himself, i.e. giving her a kiss, and the two getting slightly closer I stopped watching.

Take the series for what it is: Aimed at a very specific audience, namely the yaoi fanbase.
I'm not saying the presence of a male on male relationship will turn you off of it, but this caters to people who have a thing for male on male.
It's not worth your time if you aren't in the target audience.

MPerce:
I second anyone who mentioned Baccano. I haven't had that much fun watching show in a long time.

"The only way to steal, is to steal from the mafia!"
Isaac and Miria are endlessly quotable.

I just re-watched the whole thing yesterday, and I can confirm that MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF FUN WERE HAD.

Matthew94:
I'm in the mood to watch another anime but don't w

Samurai Champloo (26 ep I think)
Soul Eater (51 ep)
Full metal Alchemist (51ep)
Full Metal Panic (20 something eps but one ep is about 35 min long)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked