Good short animes?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Carbonyl:
"The only way to steal, is to steal from the mafia!"
Isaac and Miria are endlessly quotable.

I just re-watched the whole thing yesterday, and I can confirm that MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF FUN WERE HAD.

See, much as I liked Baccano!, it was too short for me to connect with any of the characters... so I much prefer Durarara!!, which had the same feel and mode of storytelling, but character development felt a lot better for its length.

Jonluw:
Take the series for what it is: Aimed at a very specific audience, namely the yaoi fanbase.
I'm not saying the presence of a male on male relationship will turn you off of it, but this caters to people who have a thing for male on male.
It's not worth your time if you aren't in the target audience.

I'd say that his/her avatar sort of indicates his/her tastes... -_-

OT:

Matthew94:
High school of the Dead
Trigun
Gurren Lagann

Hmmm... based off of that, I'd recommend Desert Punk, GunXSword (silent 'X'), Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi, and a whole load of titles that have already been spewed by preceding posters.

For lighter stuff, and one I haven't seen recommended, I'd go for Aria... which is as light and fluffy as you can get, and definitely one to alleviate the average Escapist's cynicism.

For kookier stuff, Moyashimon, with caricatured microorganisms, and a good lesson in Microbiology 101.

Jonluw:

Kizo:
Another great series for anyone early in their anime-viewing career is Hellsing (13 episodes). Flawed, but stylish and fun.

Really now?
You're going to recommend Hellsing, the tv series, over Hellsing Ultimate, the OVAs?
Sorry, but if that was your intention, you are wrong. Simply wrong.

The original series has a far superior soundtrack, which contributes to the sense of style that makes it so accessible. I'm not saying Ultimate is bad, but my recommendations were entirely focused on what works for new anime viewers, not veterans. From the standpoint of recommending series to new viewers, there's nothing "wrong" about my opinion, so please direct your idiotic derogatory tone elsewhere.

In general, this thread has reminded me how much I wish anime fans would remember that a recommendation request does not mean "list all of your favorite series." For example, I love One Piece, Beck, Infinite Ryvius, and Planetes, but I wouldn't recommend any of them to new viewers without very particular circumstances (showing Beck specifically to rock musicians, for example). Similarly, I like many of the series in this thread, but series like Welcome to the NHK or The World God Only Knows (again, both of which I like) are hardly good recommendations for a relative newcomer. Ultimately, the best recommendation is not a specific title, but instead just "watch many things, find what you like, and watch more things like that," but since the OP requested specific titles: Cowboy Bebop, no contest.

S-cry-ed is one season long. Awesome characters, wraps itself up neatly.
Straight Cougar is the coolest anything you will ever see.
It's a sweet Sci-Fi anime. Picture X-men meets Full-Metal Alchemist. In Japan.

Kizo:

Jonluw:
Really now?
You're going to recommend Hellsing, the tv series, over Hellsing Ultimate, the OVAs?
Sorry, but if that was your intention, you are wrong. Simply wrong.

The original series has a far superior soundtrack, which contributes to the sense of style that makes it so accessible. I'm not saying Ultimate is bad, but my recommendations were entirely focused on what works for new anime viewers, not veterans. From the standpoint of recommending series to new viewers, there's nothing "wrong" about my opinion, so please direct your idiotic derogatory tone elsewhere.

The soundtrack might be better, I guess?
I dunno, I haven't been paying attention to the soundtrack much. I don't think most people let that infulence their decision much, but that might just be me. Both the plot and the visual aesthetic of Ultimate are far better than that of the TV series though (I mean, seriously, everything went to shit with the Dr. Manhattan vampire, and was mediocre before that). I certainly don't think Ultimate is less accessible than the TV series. To the contrary, I think the superior visual design and cinematography would serve to draw in a relatively green viewer.

As for the patronizing tone; it was not meant as such. More than anything, it was meant as jokingly saying "your opinion is wrong and stupid because I say so".

In general, this thread has reminded me how much I wish anime fans would remember that a recommendation request does not mean "list all of your favorite series." For example, I love One Piece, Beck, Infinite Ryvius, and Planetes, but I wouldn't recommend any of them to new viewers without very particular circumstances (showing Beck specifically to rock musicians, for example). Similarly, I like many of the series in this thread, but series like Welcome to the NHK or The World God Only Knows (again, both of which I like) are hardly good recommendations for a relative newcomer. Ultimately, the best recommendation is not a specific title, but instead just "watch many things, find what you like, and watch more things like that," but since the OP requested specific titles: Cowboy Bebop, no contest.

I figure Welcome to the NHK is fairly accesible. And it's a very good work which explores interesting subjects. I have a friend who read it as one of her first manga I think, and it has become pretty much her favourite.
The topics in NHK that might alienate a new viewer are the references to the Hikikomori phenomenon, NEETs, Dating games, and the occasional Mahou shoujo pointer.
If you're watching a version that includes translator's notes, this isn't a problem. I certainly didn't know what a NEET, a Hikikomori and NHK were before I watched this series. And I barely knew what dating games were.
In either case, knowing what dating games and Mahou shoujo anime are is unimportant to understanding the plot, and the artstyle is fairly accesible (although considering he's watched TTGL and HOTD, I don't think that would be a problem anyways) so there is no reason a newcomer to anime shouldn't watch Welcome to the NHK.

I stand by every inclusion on my list of recommended anime.
Although perhaps Nichijou and Cromartie high school are best saved for later, as they do play on certain tropes.

For the record, I know a guy who until recently barely knew what anime was. He had, however, watched every episode of One Piece. Likewise, the first anime I ever watched was Naruto (*shiver*). I introduced him to Death note, and a year or two later he's now keeping up with new releases, loves moeblob, and has a drawing of Kurisu and Okabe from Steins; gate on the back of his Russ-coat.
i.e. I would say shonen-junk is very accesible to newcomers. The reason I don't recommend it is that it's almost always endless.
I would have included Death note in my list as I've never met a person who wasn't drawn in by the first episodes, but in my mind it's a long series.

217not237:

Jonluw:

217not237:
No. 6. It's... I think 12... episodes of a great dystopian future (and two gay guys, obviously) with an absolutely beautiful story and the second most WTF ending in anime history (Paranoia Agent, this one goes out to you). Also, a cute gay couple :D And of course there are only a couple scenes where they show any affection but AWWWWWWWW, THEY'RE JUST SO ADORABLE TOGETHER!!!

This is one of the few anime that I'd strongly recommend to stay away from.
It's not that the series contains a homosexual relationship, but it is a shonen ai series.
This means that around episode 3 or so, the series pretty much drops the plot in favour of focusing on the sexual tension between the two main characters.
After six more episodes or so of nothing happening other than one of the leads rescuing the other from a prostitue by sacrificing himself, i.e. giving her a kiss, and the two getting slightly closer I stopped watching.

Take the series for what it is: Aimed at a very specific audience, namely the yaoi fanbase.
I'm not saying the presence of a male on male relationship will turn you off of it, but this caters to people who have a thing for male on male.
It's not worth your time if you aren't in the target audience.

I didn't even notice it until I think episode 7, when they danced together, and that was already more than half of the series. Whatever.

Really?
Maybe I have some specially developed ability to sense sexual tension between boys, because I noticed that in the very first episode and all of the following.
I was hoping that it'd just keep it as a sub-plot or something, but I quickly started to notice that the original plot wasn't going anywhere.
It's a shame, because the setting was interesting. I wish they'd explored the whole dystopia/utopia dichotomy and used it for what it was worth, rather than just using it as a setting for a generic love story.

Jonluw:
The soundtrack might be better, I guess?
I dunno, I haven't been paying attention to the soundtrack much. I don't think most people let that infulence their decision much, but that might just be me. Both the plot and the visual aesthetic of Ultimate are far better than that of the TV series though (I mean, seriously, everything went to shit with the Dr. Manhattan vampire, and was mediocre before that). I certainly don't think Ultimate is less accessible than the TV series. To the contrary, I think the superior visual design and cinematography would serve to draw in a relatively green viewer.

As for the patronizing tone; it was not meant as such. More than anything, it was meant as jokingly saying "your opinion is wrong and stupid because I say so".

Thanks for clarifying! I appreciate it. As far as Hellsing vs. Hellsing Ultimate, I think either one is a reasonable suggestion. Also, I completely agree with the direction the original series ultimately took, which is why I put "flawed" in my original post... because damn, Incognito was awful.

I figure Welcome to the NHK is fairly accesible. And it's a very good work which explores interesting subjects. I have a friend who read is as one of her first manga I think, and it has become pretty much her favourite.
The topics in NHK that might alienate a new viewer are the references to the Hikikomori phenomenon, NEETs, Dating games, and the occasional Mahou shoujo pointer.
If you're watching a version that includes translator's notes, this isn't a problem. I certainly didn't know what a NEET, a Hikikomori and NHK were before I watched this series. And I barely knew what dating games were.
In either case, knowing what dating games and Mahou shoujo anime are is unimportant to understanding the plot, and the artstyle is fairly accesible (although considering he's watched TTGL and HOTD, I don't think that would be a problem anyways) so there is no reason a newcomer to anime shouldn't watch Welcome to the NHK.

I just think that the inherent concept of the series is so innately Japanese that it's alienating to new anime fans. I do know people for whom that was their first (or near-first) anime experience, and while they found it fairly enjoyable, they also expressed great confusion over much of what was going on. (That is, they were confused by those terms like "hikikomori" and "NEET," not just that they were confused with the singing household appliances.) When I referred to accessibility, I was in no way implying that the OP or any newer anime fan is somehow incapable of comprehending concepts in any anime, but some series are so culturally different from what new viewers are used to that I've found it can turn them away. That said, I do like Welcome to the NHK, so I don't fault you (or anyone) for recommending it on the basis of quality, and if you feel they're worth recommending based on the experiences of people you know, I respect that. It seems we just know different types of people!

Kizo:
Thanks for clarifying! I appreciate it. As far as Hellsing vs. Hellsing Ultimate, I think either one is a reasonable suggestion. Also, I completely agree with the direction the original series ultimately took, which is why I put "flawed" in my original post... because damn, Incognito was awful.

Have you seen all of the Ultimate episodes by the way?
The first few are a bit stale compared to the later episodes. It takes a few episodes for the fighting, proper plot, and not least Character development to kick in.
Oh, and in case you haven't seen it yet: Hellsing Ultimate abridged. Funny.

I just think that the inherent concept of the series is so innately Japanese that it's alienating to new anime fans. I do know people for whom that was their first (or near-first) anime experience, and while they found it fairly enjoyable, they also expressed great confusion over much of what was going on. (That is, they were confused by those terms like "hikikomori" and "NEET," not just that they were confused with the singing household appliances.)

Ah, yes the whole singing household appliance thing. The manga explains that by noting that Satoko buys some kind of weird "legal" drugs by mail order.
I wouldn't think the NEET and Hikikomori concepts would be so strange if they were just briefly explained to the people watching the series though. It's not like people who isolate themselves in their homes is an exclusively Japanese phenomenon.

When I referred to accessibility, I was in no way implying that the OP or any newer anime fan is somehow incapable of comprehending concepts in any anime, but some series are so culturally different from what new viewers are used to that I've found it can turn them away. That said, I do like Welcome to the NHK, so I don't fault you (or anyone) for recommending it on the basis of quality, and if you feel they're worth recommending based on the experiences of people you know, I respect that. It seems we just know different types of people!

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica: Its like watchmen, but instead of deconstructing the superhero genre, it deconstructs the magical girl genre, amazing and complex plot (12 episodes)

Baccano: Almost everyone here said this, so I'll be quick: awesome characters, pretty good non-linear story (13 episodes, 3 ovas)

Cowboy bebop: insannely cool and very stylish, some of the best characters I seen, perfect dubbing and soundtrack, very good plot, my favorite anime ever.(26 episodes, check the movie also)

Steins Gate: Mind-blowing complex plot, some very interestting character, amazing humor, and there is even a bit of romance(24 episodes)

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo: A science fiction adaptation of the novel, it has a insannely good story and pacing, some very complex and likeble characters, and beautiful unique visuals (edit: forgot to put the episodes number, its 24)

I would also recommend Higurashi, Death Note, FMA, Hunter x Hunter, but these aren't short animes.

This is one of the nicest threads I've seen in awhile.
On topic I can't think of anything that hasn't been said before, but I'm gonna get behind everyone who said Baccano! it is a truly awesome anime and it's only 16 episodes long.

A bit long for your tastes at fifty one episodes, but Soul Eater is really good.

Only i can really suggest is Hetalia.

No one has even mentioned Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 yet.

A short 11 episode Anime, featuring one of the most emotional stories ever told in Anime to date.

It's incredibly good, and is well worth watching, be sure to have some tissues at the ready though.

I remember Boogie-Pop Phantom being short and good. I also remember a lot of episodes being re-treads of previous episodes from another character's point of view though which is something some people dislike.

Another short one that I love that many people may not like at all is Puni-Puni Poemi which is about...80% fan service I think.

Matthew94:
I'm in the mood to watch another anime but don't want to slog through multiple seasons to see the whole plot.

I've only watched:

High school of the Dead
Trigun
Gurren Lagann

I suggest searching for "OVAs"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OVA

These are typified by being divided into self-contained half-hour episodes sold on video (DVD/VHS) often amounting to less than several hours for a whole series. Hellsing is a good example of an OVA and really as long as they get:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hellsing_episodes

There is no long procrastination, it gets right in, the second episode feels like a climax but it only ups the ante from there.

At 26 episodes, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is also a good one, but note that it has quite a different style and pace from the anime feature film, so don't go in with certain expectations. Try to movie first though, simply titled "Ghost In The Shell".

-Full Metal Panic Fumoffu is great fun (I think so at least)
-Cromartie High is also good insane fun

Big O is a pretty good short anime if you like animes that are confusing but feature massive robots that blow shit up all the time.
which I do XD

Just to second some others that people have said;

DeathNote
Cowboy Bebop
Ouran High School Host Club
5cm per second.

Those are the 4 I came here to say and theyve been said so... huzzah =)

Oh, wait - Wolf's Rain as well. 25 episodes, I found it interesting but can see why others wouldnt like it. Macross Frontier is great if you're into giant robots?

MSfire012:

Cowboy bebop: insannely cool and very stylish, some of the best characters I seen, perfect dubbing and soundtrack, very good plot, my favorite anime ever.(26 episodes, check the movie also)

THERE'S A MOVIE!?!? =D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy_Bebop:_The_Movie

Holy crap, I want it. Thank you for pointing out the existence of this! XD

Matthew94:
I'm in the mood to watch another anime but don't want to slog through multiple seasons to see the whole plot.

I've only watched:

High school of the Dead
Trigun
Gurren Lagann

There's an anime, 26 episodes of normal length.
I strongly recommend you watch "Future Diary", but only do so if you can stomach some really nasty things, including intense gore (Realistic one at that. Not fairy tales, you learn how devastating knives are), rape, child abuse and... wow. It has some heavy topics, but it is an emotional roller-coaster.
Go watch it. I watched it in one sitting.
Go.
NOW.
I'm waiting.

Jazoni89:
No one has even mentioned Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 yet.

a short 11 episode Anime, featuring one of the most emotional stories ever told in Anime to date.

It's incredibly good, and is well worth watching, be sure to have some tissues at the ready though.

It's s strong story but it's very realistic. Meaning you see REAL people in a REAL situation reacting to it.
As much as hate to admit it, he watched zombies trying to chase after busty half naked high-school girls and an otaku with guns. Not sure if he will approve of that anime.

Auron225:

MSfire012:

THERE'S A MOVIE!?!? =D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy_Bebop:_The_Movie

Holy crap, I want it. Thank you for pointing out the existence of this! XD

Don't mention it, glad I was helpfull xD.

Also Im currentily watching durarara, you guys should watch it, it's like the spiritual succesor to baccano.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked