How good is this alienware x51 computer spec?

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7-2600 3.4GHz (8MB Cache) with Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost Technology 2.0

MEMORY 8GB (2x4GB) Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz

VIDEO CARD 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 555

HARD DRIVE 1TB SATA 6Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB Cache

How good is this computer spec?
Can i run the best looking games out right with max settings and no lag?

Is it a lot better than the computer i have right now? my pc spec are below

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz

Memory 6GB DDR3

Video Card Nvidia geforce gtx 260

Hard drive 500 GB

Thanks in advance

Everything is better in the X51 but a GTX555 GPU is pretty average. Rather than getting a new system you should just upgrade your GTX260. Its outdated even for your current system. A replacement GPU in your current system will have it running games better than an X51.

Awful. For the money you would spend on that thing you could build your own desktop TWICE as powerful. TWICE. No hyperbole either, I'm being quite literal. Alienwares are HORRIBLE value for money and I hope to god people wise up and stop throwing money away on these things.

Also, you don't need to replace your system. You don't even need to do much to it, I'd change the 260 out for a more modern card and add in a 1TB hard drive....maybe. The drive definitely. To be perfectly honest though, your rig as it sits is more than enough for any game on the market right now, seeing as my 8800GS 384MB can manage just fine at 1600x1200.

TestECull:
snip

Most Alienware machines are overpriced but in the case of the X51 the extra price pretty much covers the premium of having such a compact system that can play games at a decent rate. I would happily call it the only well priced Alienware.

I'm very curious to what games you play at 1600x1200 with only an 8800GS? With all my experience with examples of that card and general knowledge of computer hardware I wouldn't think you could do much with a 384MB card at that res.

TestECull:
Awful. For the money you would spend on that thing you could build your own desktop TWICE as powerful. TWICE. No hyperbole either, I'm being quite literal. Alienwares are HORRIBLE value for money and I hope to god people wise up and stop throwing money away on these things.

I came in to say this. All you're paying for is a fancy DELL case, in the end.

SpAc3man:

TestECull:
snip

Most Alienware machines are overpriced but in the case of the X51 the extra price pretty much covers the premium of having such a compact system that can play games at a decent rate. I would happily call it the only well priced Alienware.

All alienwares are horribly overpriced and underpowered for the money. I could build a rig just as powerful and just as small for half the cost, and it'd be considerably more reliable with 100% less Dell bloatware on the OS!

Fuck Alienware.

I'm very curious to what games you play at 1600x1200 with only an 8800GS? With all my experience with examples of that card and general knowledge of computer hardware I wouldn't think you could do much with a 384MB card at that res.

Ummm....All of them? The only games I have problems with are ones with horrid engines. Saint's Row 2 and 3, for example, I have to run at 1280x1024. But for the most part they all run just fine at 1600x1200. GTA IV, Crysis, Source, Gamebryo, EvE, WoW(That actually runs at 2048x1536, my monitor's native, without issue)....pretty much everything on my Steam list that isn't Saint's Row runs like a dream. Perfectly playable, looks fine, runs good, I'm happy. And I only spent $55 on the card!

You don't need a damn supercomputer with Tri-Sli to run modern games. Games are designed around the equivalent of an X1900XTX anyway, due to all of them being aimed at consoles first and ported to PC these days. The 360 and PS3 have a GPU roughly that powerful, with I believe the PS3's actually directly derived from an X1900XTX. I know one of them has one, the other has a 7900GS core under the hood. Don't remember which exactly.

If you spend more than $250 on a graphics card to game at 1080P you overspent.

Loop Stricken:

TestECull:

I came in to say this. All you're paying for is a fancy DELL case, in the end.

Don't forget several gigs worth of Dell bloatware!

Thanks for the help guys, i guess i won't be getting the alienware.

Mhm, best choice. Get a brand new GPU in the $250-$350 price bracket, plonk it into your current rig, and you're set for a couple of years yet. Won't need to touch your rig until the PS4 and next xBox debut.

TestECull:
All alienwares are horribly overpriced and underpowered for the money. I could build a rig just as powerful and just as small for half the cost, and it'd be considerably more reliable with 100% less Dell bloatware on the OS!

I'm not saying it isn't expensive for the specs. I'm saying its good pricing for the specs combined with the formfactor. An X51 is a very compact machine for what it can do.

SpAc3man:

TestECull:

I'm not saying it isn't expensive for the specs. I'm saying its good pricing for the specs combined with the formfactor. An X51 is a very compact machine for what it can do.

And I'm saying it's a waste of money no matter how you look at it. I'm by no means the best at speccing out computers, yet I could still do better for half the cost. Alienwares are overpriced as hell and you're doing yourself a HUGE disservice by even thinking about buying one.

Not only do you pay a fortune for meh hardware, but you also get an OS so loaded up with bloatware that your brand new rig is barely faster than your old one. You have to reformat and reinstall from a retail disc if you want it to perform near what it's capable of anyway, and if you're going to do that you might as well just build from scratch in the first place. For half the cost.

TestECull:
my 8800GS 384MB can manage just fine at 1600x1200.

Lol an 8800GS at 1600x1200? Which games, which quality settings and how many FPS?

I'm going to go ahead and call BS on that claim.

ResonanceSD:
Which games

All of them. The only games I can't get running at that res are in the Saint's Row series, for some reason.

which quality settings

Whatever settings work. The only mandatory setting is resolution, beyond that I play at whatever works. My processor is the limiter anyway, most of my games hit a point where turning the graphics settings down further has 0 net gain in FPS. That GS is bottlenecked.

Seeing as I don't play for pointless e-peen bragging rights I don't need locked 75FPS@2048x1536(Refresh rate at that res is 75hz, got a CRT monitor) at max AA/AF/texture res/blablafuckingbla. That does not make my games any more fun. I honestly can't tell the difference beyond 4x AA and about 2x AF anyway, even if I had the horsepower to turn them above there I wouldn't turn them up, and while the higher res is nice, 1600x1200 is high enough to see what I'm doing.

and how many FPS?

Playable. I don't have a set number, as long as I can play the game and have fun I don't care what the number is.

I'm going to go ahead and call BS on that claim.

Go on and call BS on it. Doesn't mean it is BS. I know my rig, I've been gaming on this thing for three or four years now.

With current hardware, games and standard resolutions; resolution has little effect on FPS.

TestECull:

SpAc3man:

TestECull:
snip

Fuck Alienware.

Ummm....All of them? The only games I have problems with are ones with horrid engines. Saint's Row 2 and 3, for example, I have to run at 1280x1024. But for the most part they all run just fine at 1600x1200. GTA IV, Crysis, Source, Gamebryo, EvE, WoW(That actually runs at 2048x1536, my monitor's native, without issue)....pretty much everything on my Steam list that isn't Saint's Row runs like a dream. Perfectly playable, looks fine, runs good, I'm happy. And I only spent $55 on the card!

You don't need a damn supercomputer with Tri-Sli to run modern games. Games are designed around the equivalent of an X1900XTX anyway, due to all of them being aimed at consoles first and ported to PC these days. The 360 and PS3 have a GPU roughly that powerful, with I believe the PS3's actually directly derived from an X1900XTX. I know one of them has one, the other has a 7900GS core under the hood. Don't remember which exactly.

If you spend more than $250 on a graphics card to game at 1080P you overspent.

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but doesnt the 8800 not support DX11? In that case you are not running modern games on anything approaching high settings. Having DX11 is a must for that.

You can probably run just about everything on DX10 in that resolution though. (Why am I saying this, you already know that since you do :P)

I hear that Alienware's value is almost as bad as apple, and they have serious hardware issues in under two years!

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but doesnt the 8800 not support DX11?

Most games I play don't even support DX10, so DX11 support is not a concern. Remember that the GPUs in the 360 and PS3 are DX9 holdouts, and most games are made for them and ported to PC, so most games barely support DX10.

If Fallout 4 supports DX11 natively I'll consider upgrading. Until then I'm not in any hurry to swap out GPUs...and since FO4 is going to run on Skyrim's 360-derived Gamebryo clone, I highly doubt it will support DX11 at all.

In that case you are not running modern games on anything approaching high settings. Having DX11 is a must for that.

And why should I care? I play for fun. I don't play for bragging rights. I don't care if the settings are maxed out, I just want big explosions everywhere. So I don't really care about the latest-and-greatest direct X. I set the res to 1600x1200, I set the settings where the FPS is playable, and that's the end of my concern regarding video settings.

You can probably run just about everything on DX10 in that resolution though. (Why am I saying this, you already know that since you do :P)

DX9. Most of my games don't support DX10 at all. I can use it in a few games though. Crysis, for example, ran in DX10.

TestECull:

In that case you are not running modern games on anything approaching high settings. Having DX11 is a must for that.

And why should I care? I play for fun. I don't play for bragging rights. I don't care if the settings are maxed out, I just want big explosions everywhere. So I don't really care about the latest-and-greatest direct X. I set the res to 1600x1200, I set the settings where the FPS is playable, and that's the end of my concern regarding video settings.

Well thats fine and dandy for you, but seeing as the OP is willing to upgrade, its fair to assume he wants to take full advantage of DX11 features when they are available.

TestECull:

DX9. Most of my games don't support DX10 at all. I can use it in a few games though. Crysis, for example, ran in DX10.

Severely underestimating the number of games that use DX10/DX11.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Well thats fine and dandy for you, but seeing as the OP is willing to upgrade, its fair to assume he wants to take full advantage of DX11 features when they are available.

And his current card can do that. He still would be ripping himself off by buying an alienware.

TestECull:

Learn to read, then come back. But just in case you're too lazy, lemme demonstrate just why I don't care about DX11:

Source engine: Powers a good 50% of my library, doesn't support DX10 or DX11.
Gamebryo: Powers New Vegas, Fallout 3 and Oblivion. Doesn't support DX10 or DX11.
GTA IV: Doesn't support DX11, DX10 crashes. DX9 runs fine.
EvE Online: Doesn't support DX10 or DX11.
World of Warcraft: Doesn't support DX10 or DX11.
Rigs of Rods: doesn't even use DirectX if you want it to. Has Dx9 and OpenGL renders.
Starcraft 2: Doesn't support DX11.
Need for Speed: Underground 2: Was made before DX10 came out, so needless to say it doesn't use DX10 or DX11.
Bioshock 1: Doesn't support DX11.
Bioshock 2: Crashes halfway into the game on all render modes. No idea why, gave up on it.
Stalker: SoC: Doesn't support DX11.
Crysis 1: Came out before DX11, so it doesn't support it. Ran like butter in DX10.
Saint's Row the Third: Doesn't support DX11, DX10 mode crashes on launch. DX9 mode runs fine.

...and that sums up the games I play. The only game I owned that supports DX11 is Crysis 2, and that game was so boring I sold it on eBay after getting halfway in.

TestECull:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

And his current card can do that. He still would be ripping himself off by buying an alienware.

TestECull:

Learn to read, then come back. But just in case you're too lazy, lemme demonstrate just why I don't care about DX11:

Gamebryo: Powers New Vegas, Fallout 3 and Oblivion. Doesn't support DX10 or DX11.
Rigs of Rods: doesn't even use DirectX if you want it to. Has Dx9 and OpenGL renders.
Need for Speed: Underground 2: Was made before DX10 came out, so needless to say it doesn't use DX10 or DX11.
Bioshock 2: Crashes halfway into the game on all render modes. No idea why, gave up on it.
Crysis 1: Came out before DX11, so it doesn't support it. Ran like butter in DX10.
Saint's Row the Third: Doesn't support DX11, DX10 mode crashes on launch. DX9 mode runs fine.

...and that sums up the games I play. The only game I owned that supports DX11 is Crysis 2, and that game was so boring I sold it on eBay after getting halfway in.

Well, since we are posting lists...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_11_support

No need to be so aggressive.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

A list that has exactly zero bearing on my posts.

READ WHAT I TYPED! Go on. Read it. Don't just skim it and post some random shit tangentially related. READ IT! I don't type it out because I enjoy typing, I type it out to inform you of something, that something being that the games I play do not support DX11 at all, DX10 rarely, and even when DX10 is supported it doesn't always work.

If you read it you'll note that I'm referring to my personal game library! My personal game library DOES NOT SUPPORT DX10/DX11 anywhere near as often as the market as a whole. My personal game library consists mostly of game engines that don't support these APIs at all.

I can't possibly make this any fucking clearer. Maybe if I put that phrase into a giant, neon, flashing GIF? If you can't figure it out by this point you're a hopeless cause and I'm not going to waste another second on you.

I'll be as aggressive as I damn well please....and if you think this is aggressive you've led a very sheltered life. This is anything but aggressive.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Yeah, but his list was of his games, not ALL games.

Yeah it's a top-notch PC, better than your current.

You could play the latest games max'ed out with half that. You worry about "lag" but that's something you get with an insufficient network connection. What you mean is a "smooth frame rate" of 60+FPS and I reckon that new PC could do BF3 full graphics at 60-90 frames easy whereas your current PC would do maybe 30 (that of an Xbox).

Dunno why you'd get a new PC now though, I'd be happy with the specs of the current PC you've got and make do for another year or so until the new Intel Ivy bridge range to come out in full force.

Oh, and give a custom-build website a shot. Alienware are renowned for their builds being extortionately priced.

TestECull:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

A list that has exactly zero bearing on my posts.

READ WHAT I TYPED! Go on. Read it. Don't just skim it and post some random shit tangentially related. READ IT! I don't type it out because I enjoy typing, I type it out to inform you of something.

If you read it you'll note that I'm referring to my personal game library! My personal game library DOES NOT SUPPORT DX10/DX11 anywhere near as often as the market as a whole. My personal game library consists mostly of game engines that don't support these APIs at all.

I can't possibly make this any fucking clearer. Maybe if I put that phrase into a giant, neon, flashing GIF? If you can't figure it out by this point you're a hopeless cause and I'm not going to waste another second on you.

I'll be as aggressive as I damn well please....and if you think this is aggressive you've led a very sheltered life. This is anything but aggressive.

Let it out Test! Let it all out! GRRRRR! SO AGGRESSIVE AND EDGY!

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Shut the fuck up. I'm not being edgy. I'm genuinely annoyed that you can't comprehend simple language and insist on misreading every post I make. If you had taken five seconds to read my post you wouldn't have had to reply at all, you would have known that I was referring to my own library of games and not the market as a whole, and we wouldn't be in this position.

Not really my problem anymore, though. I won't see your posts after this edit. Good day, sir!

TestECull:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Shut the fuck up. I'm not being edgy. I'm genuinely annoyed that you can't comprehend simple language and insist on misreading every post I make. If you had taken five seconds to read my post you wouldn't have had to reply at all, you would have known that I was referring to my own library of games and not the market as a whole, and we wouldn't be in this position.

Not really my problem anymore, though. I won't see your posts after this edit. Good day, sir!

How fitting. Your 6000th post will probably net you a suspension.

Just to make this clear, I was not actively trying to troll you, but since you insist on flipping the fuck out... *Shrugs shoulders*

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Just to make this clear, I was not actively trying to troll you, but since you insist on flipping the fuck out... *Shrugs shoulders*

Having just been raged out at by this guy for daring to suggest that feeds can be useful, after he jumped on a comment I'd made to someone else about why PubClub can be handy, I understand where you're coming from.
*solidarity fistbump*

TheBobmus:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Having just been raged out at by this guy for daring to suggest that feeds can be useful, after he jumped on a comment I'd made to someone else about why PubClub can be handy, I understand where you're coming from.
*solidarity fistbump*

I can kinda relate, some people get out of the wrong side of bed more often than others. I am one of those people.

I do not, however, prance around these forums telling random kind people to shut the fuck up over minor things. So yeah. *Returns fistbump*

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

I can kinda relate, some people get out of the wrong side of bed more often than others. I am one of those people.

I do not, however, prance around these forums telling random kind people to shut the fuck up over minor things. So yeah. *Returns fistbump*

He has a valid point though; he specifically stated that all of his own games were for DX9.

Loop Stricken:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

He has a valid point though; he specifically stated that all of his own games were for DX9.

I know. And I am truly sorry for not reading his post properly.

Just kidding, I am not. I lose motivation to read properly when I am met with such unnecessary aggression.

TestECull:

So you play a whole bunch of old games at 1600x1200? on an 8800?

Just let me ask, what kind of framerates are you getting at that resolution in Crysis, Bioshock and GTA4?

I'd make it clear in the first few posts that when you say "umm, all of them?", you meant the above, and not what anyone else thought, which was "new releases".

Alienware desktops are really over priced.
They make good laptops, but that's where I draw the line with them.

I'd reccomend building your own, or finding another compribable dealer.

CAPTCHA: Meet your waterloo- Well, that's not depressing at all... and quite coincidental...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here