Private School-girl Suing Over a Sporting Accident... Really???

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Stories likes this makes me wonder about the intelligence of the average human.

A 13-year-old from an exclusive Queensland private school is being sued by a classmate who allegedly suffered a bruised eye in a tennis mishap.

Gold Coast cardiologist Guy Wright-Smith said he was "gobsmacked" after receiving the damages claim against his 13-year-old daughter Julia on Friday, the Courier Mail reports.

The claim, which also names Somerset College and its Jay Deacon's Tennis School as defendants, alleges Julia hit her classmate Finley Enright-Burns in the eye with a tennis ball during a lesson at Mudgeeraba last October. Finley is alleged to have required medical treatment.

"I couldn't believe it when I opened this legal letter addressed to my 13-year-old daughter,'' Dr Wright-Smith told the Courier-Mail yesterday.

"It's bizarre ... beyond belief."

Dr Wright-Smith said the two girls were friends.

The claim alleges the school breached its duty of care, failed to provide adequate supervision or protective eyewear and allowed the students to stand too close together, and that Julia to hit two balls at once.

Lawyer Bill Potts, who is not involved in the case, told the Courier Mail cases such as this threatened school sport by pushing up insurance costs.

"While the girl's injuries are regrettable, there is also a sense with claims like this that we've gone too far and are becoming a litigious-crazy society like the US,'' he said.

"We can't wrap our kids in cotton wool. Are they going to start stopping kids from climbing trees and kicking balls?

"These great Australian pastimes are under threat if claims like this are successful.''

From: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8455655/private-school-girl-suing-classmate-over-tennis-injury

I read about this a few hours ago and I was just...what. The. Fuck.

You know some times crazy law suits are actually understandable when you actually look at the case, like they can't get medical insurance to pay with a suit or something like that.

This doesn't sound like one of those.

..Wow.

Just.. wow.

So are they planning to sue the tennis ball as well for actually inflicting the damage, or just the friend for hitting it back..?

Oh I did giggle.

If that was the UK it would be laughed out of court .... and laughed down the street .... and laughed at some more for being silly.

trust me Australian Private school girls all nutters...you ever meet one run away really fast

I hear they all join allumini cults

I should know I-

oh wait...never mind, igore that

The crap people (try to) sue over these days is incredible. I hope it's thrown out AND the poor, injured girl's parents get to pay a metric shit-ton of associated legal fees. Stupidity should be expensive if it can't be painful.

it,s America what did you expect? they sue people over hot coffee (the drink not the infamous mod)
PS
I got it,s in Australia I assumed it was America because they pretty much sue everything there

henritje:
it,s America what did you expect? they sue people over hot coffee (the drink not the infamous mod)

It says in the article that it isn't America, but Australia.....

OT: This is completely ridiculous, if you don't want your children to ever get hurt, take them out of P.E., accidents happen, deal with it. I took a baseball bat to the face in PE once, and didn't cry about it. :P

henritje:

Queensland is a state of Australia.

I know Night Angel has already clarified, but I really wanted to say that.

OT: It's a private school, what do you expect?

henritje:

Actully it's in Australia. I also assumed America untill someone said "This is stupid, if we keep this up then we will become as retarded as the US". Or at least that's how I read it.

Should I be embarassed that I live in the same area as this school... And happen to be friends with some of the students there? Gotta love how retarded some people can get. And if this girl and her parents are suing because she agreed to play tennis and got hit in the eye, what does that say about me, who has had a solid hockey ball slammed into his face, ankle and groin more times than I can readily count? I see the money already.

Ridiculous - there is no case for damages here at all unless she is a career model. If this even gets close to being successful in court it's a huge facepalm for the world.

Rawne1980:
Oh I did giggle.

If that was the UK it would be laughed out of court .... and laughed down the street .... and laughed at some more for being silly.

Funny thing that, I recall something similar happening when they said the paras were useful... :3

OT:This is...I'm not sure. I do wonder how these people manage to breath though? Next thing you know we'll be getting sued for sneezing and putting the world at risk of a dreadful case of the sniffles...

Completely and utterly ridiculous. Nothing more needs to be said.

Sigh... What ever happened to the stereotype that Australians were tough and nothing phased us...? Didn't offer protective eyewear? Are you fucking kidding me? Who the fuck wears "protective eyewear" when playing tennis? This is a joke. Fuck people.

Sooner or later we'll be sendings kids to school wrapped head to toe in bubble wrap with straws to breath through. Hell, we'll all be working the same way as adults. Can't take any risks, can't be unsafe!

(Facepalm) Of for the love of...! Are we really this sue-happy as a people?!?!

Whilst in school I was:

-Hit with a baseball bat so hard it permanently affected my eye sight
-Broke my ankle once
-Chipped a tooth and had a nasty cut in my tongue from an elbow blow in rugby
-Broke an arm

And that's just off the top of my head, i'm sure I got better injuries that I repressed.

Can I sue anyone? I know that kid with the baseball owes me $ big time.

It's news like this that inspires me to sue my boxing instructor for hitting me during a sparring session...

"While the girl's injuries are regrettable, there is also a sense with claims like this that we've gone too far and are becoming a litigious-crazy society like the US,'' he said.

It's sad cause it's true...

I think that was a sufficient amount of facepalming...

She should be removed and replaced by someone who has more hope of becoming useful to society.

Also, "protective eyewear"? It's fucking tennis...

henritje:

I like how you already got three quotes stating its Australia not America. I laugh when people fail to read articles and OP.

OT: what...the ever living hell...are they thinking? Ruining a friendship and potentially that girls life..over an accidental black eye in school....

If she was better at tennis then she would have hit it. lol. What is the world coming to, soon all kids will be incased in a bubble so they never have to face anything ever again. Accidents happen, she didnt smack it at her on purpose.

An these are the adults of tomorrow. sigh.

henritje:

Pretty sure someone tried to sue someone else because of the mod too. Its America, they sue everything.

Btw guys, protective eye wear? You are playing some fucking tennis, not spraypainting a car or cutting metal sheets. Its TENNIS. Who the hell would even think of wearing eye protection while playing tennis?

Yes, on water 24/7 as well. Otherwise they could role over a stone and the bubble could burst.

Wow. This just won my award for 'most stupid law suit' from the woman who sued the family of a dead guy whose body parts hit her after being disassembled by a train.

I think the next time I get ill after a friend has had a cold (And passed it around, as colds tend to do) I will sue them for being a Biological Hazard to my health and the health of others, I will then sue the government for not properly Quarantining all sick people.

I feel like I might have a legitimate case.

Take her out, put her in a poorly funded public school. See if she still wants to bitch about sucking at Tennis then.

Private schoolers lol. Spoiled rich kids in uniforms at schools where the administration invariably thinks it's a top-tier college :P

did the few people here who said 'america' actually read the article? key words like Queensland and Australia would tell me this was an australian article.

also the .au address would be a pretty big clue as well.

OT:

Not even the professionals wear protective eyewear. ive never seen anyone even wearing sunglasses on a tennis court...

i really cant see how this suit could be upheld in a court of law.

yes I know that what im about to say is an anachronism in a sense but as Judge Judy has said a few times, "Sometimes you have to pay for being stupid." In this case I hope its the plaintiffs parents who are slapped with legal costs if for nothing else than wasting the courts time.

I've been hit in the eye by a tennis ball moving a lot faster than anything a 13 year old girl can do, you didn't need medical treatment. However, with the current state of the legal system, you will probably win an amount many many times more than your medical bills and legal expenses combined. Gotta love it.

Dectomax:

Funny thing that, I recall something similar happening when they said the paras were useful... :3

First thing I thought when I heard someone had been beaten by a tennis ball was "I wonder if Decto's alright".

I hope the accuser gets expelled for involving the school in a frivolous lawsuit.

Pointlessly-litigious rich people are the scum of the Earth. They occupy precious court time for compensation that they neither need nor deserve. I wish only the worst upon the accuser and her family.

Rawne1980:

But not before all children were made to wear goggles in PE lessons first.

I still hate that this can happen, it's her own fault for not learning that you put the racket(racquet?) IN-BETWEEN your face and the ball.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked