Books you finished and just thought: "Well...that was shit"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Cycle of Hatred by Keith DeCandido

A Warcraft novelization far worse than almost anything Richard Knaak has ever written, except for Day of the Dragon, which was a steaming pile of shit from the first few pages and didn't get better from there.

Those two books caused me pain.

Speaking as a big Chuck Palahniuk fan, I can safely say that Pygmy was kinda crap. The protagonist was impossible to relate to and the ending was totally inconsistent with the rest of the book. It was so bad I went and read Choke again to make myself feel better.

If I think a book is shit I generally don't finish it... then again I've forced myself to read some stuff that I've found odious just so I can be informed about it; for example the Twilight series, it's a disgusting misogynistic piece of crap, and being actually able to say I've read it leaves 90% of it's fans unable to argue with you :D

Mockingjay, of the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.
The first two book were alright at worst, but Mockingjay completely shifted the tone and feel of the series. The ending felt rushed, hollow, predictable and pandered to people like my sister, who aren't happy without a good love story.

I don't remember the title but aliens were attacking earth. A warring civilization that some how never thought to do much with weaponry (despite having been taking over planets for some time). They kick our asses but only by a small margin. Theres a whole universe of other aliens watching this and going "eh just let these uncivilized cretins duke it out". So it seems pretty interesting.

A resistance is formed, we fight back. Then when all is almost lost...fucking dracula goes aboard the aliens ship and kills them...

My first thought was "How the fuck did this get published?!?!"

I don't read bad books. I can tell pretty easily if I won't like it by the first chapter or two.

All of the recent Star Wars books:
they are they paint by numbers of the literature world

Captcha: That Bad? yes captcha they really are!

The first Twilight book. Read through it on a friend's recommendation and at the end deciding I would never trust that friend for recommendations again.

Maximum Ride book 4, such a monumental let down after all the stories that had come before. I enjoyed the first three, and then along comes book 4 and just blindsides me.

Most recently, The Hunger Games. I read all three, and at the end of each one put it aside and said 'that was not a very good book' then I went and banged my head against a wall until all the stupid was gone.

Gravity's rainbow - because it didn't make a lick of sense. And I know it wasn't supposed to, but still, I felt it was a waste of my time. It was strangeness for the sake of strangeness.

Also, Dice man. Because the characters are psychopaths.

superbatranger:
Atlas Shrugged. It took me months to finish that tedious load of crap. I thought it would be interesting, but damn, you could use it to put an insomniac to bed.

I'm surprised anyone would read that book for more than a hundred pages or so if they didn't like it, let alone finish it. It is one of the longest novels ever published, after all, why punish yourself? :P Personally, I... got something out of it, at least. It was as nothing compared to her earlier book, The Fountainhead.

For me, hmm... The Beach. I knew it had been made into a film by Danny Boyle and I thought he'd have good taste in source material. I was wrong.

Walter Moers - Labyrinth der träumenden Bücher
Seriously, the first one was imaginative and exciting, but the second one was just the protagonist getting drunk and watching a puppet movie of the first book. A real slap in the face.

Orson Scott Card's
Ender's Game Series
When it was released I worked at a bookstore and everyone I knew was raving about it.
I have even seen it in top 100 Sci-fi books of all time.
Beating out such amazing classics such as Douglas Adams.
And it is Total Shit!
I wish I could get back the time I spent reading it.
And there is No way it beats Hitchhiker's series!

At OP: Hey, not all required reading's were that bad. I remember that in the 4th grade our teacher had us read both "Animal Farm" and "Fahrenheit 415". I learned more about literature in Elementary school than in Middle or High school, that's for sure... Although in my final year of literature we did read the fascinating story "The Cold Equation".

On topic: While I'm usually a big murder mystery fan, and thus a big Agatha Christie fan, I was very disappointed with all of her Miss Marple stories. "A Murder is Announced", "A Pocket Full of Rye" and "Nemesis" were all underwhelming and a bit underdeveloped. I suppose I just don't like Miss Marple too much as a detective...

Luckily Agatha Christie also made the fantastic Hercule Poirot stories to balance them out.

I thought the Dreamcatcher by Stephen King was a bit disappointing. When I finished it I felt like if it had ended a few chapters before it would have been a better book overall. The movie of it was also terrible in my opinion.

the darknees abyss:

Tony:
The Hunger Games and the Twilight series. I did not understand the love and hype for these books at all.

you baster you did not understand for these books they are awesome well maybe not the not the frist twlight book but apart from that there awesome and your the baster for not geting it

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Game of Thrones. I managed to finish it after about half a year. I hate the way the story is told and I hate most characters, but stuck around because the setting itself is very interesting. But it just never rises about soap level storytelling for me.

krazykidd:
Twilight tome 4 .

Yeah that was shit .

I read the four books and yeah...I freaking hated the fourth book so much. Not only that spoiled bit you mentioned but...hm...

---

The Lord of the Rings. I liked Fellowship and Return of the King was alright too but Two Towers just seemed really unnecessarily long to me...make that completely unnecessary. It took me three or four attempts to get through that freaking book and I couldn't make it through the movie either. It just seemed to drag on and, on. I loved The Hobbit though.

putowtin:

Captcha: That Bad? yes captcha they really are!

So...Darth Plagius is a no go then? I was looking forward to that one...

tensorproduct:
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Just awful on every conceivable level. Condescending, preachy, mystical mumbo-jumbo horseshit. Damn, fifteen years later and I'm still angry that I read this fucking worthless crap.

So happy someone else said this. The thing that annoyed me even more was how many people got taken in by it. I would have ignored it except for the fact that some friends who's tastes I trusted put it on their favourite book lists (one had it up there with Anna Karrenin, another with East of Eden).
There was just a massive entitlement philosophy running through the whole thing. To achieve your dreams, you don't need a mix of hard work, natural talent and a good dose of luck. No, all you need is to REALLY want it. Then "the Universe will conspire to help you". That might be a great message for Oprah, but how about the millions of starving people who REALLY want food? Is their fault they just don't WANT it enough?
Disagreeing with the philosophy is one thing, there are plenty of books which I enjoyed even though I didn't share the authors views. That's because you at least had a good plot or characters or writing style to enjoy. The Alchemist had none of those.

Bah. Grrr.

Korten12:

Davey Woo:
The ending to the second Guild Wars book, the Edge of Destiny.

I don't read books all that much, but I was just really stumped by this ending.

If it's any consolation, one of the big parts of GW2 is to bring them back together.

I did guess that was going to happen, but I just still felt that a bit more effort could have been put into the book's ending than just "They don't like each other now, the end."

Side note: Is it bad that I'm sitting here with the beta login screen minimised, just to hear the music?

Sober Thal:
-'Books you finished and just thought: "Well...that was shit"'-

The last two books from R.R.Martin.

He's really fucking up his Song of Fire and Ice. I'd explain why, but I don't want to spoil the horrible writing for anyone. Experience the lame cop-outs for yourself.

That's interesting, I have my own thoughts on that. Wanna put your reasoning in spoiler tags, and I'll see if they match up?

I got it! After a day of soul searching, I think I have the book in mind.

The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander. So here's this book, which is completely like Lord of the Rings but only if LoTR was incredible drivel. It was painful for me to read it. :'D

And I suppose Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens and the Mill on the Floss. These were so so very boring. ;~;

ForgottenPr0digy:
was it "the davinci code" or "angels and demons" by Dan Brown??

What?! Why did you have to remind me of the title?! I was so proud of not remembering it!! -_-

putowtin:

S'why I only get the ones written before 2000 (or thereabouts... hell I've only read the Thrawn trilogy... which was fucking awesome... so I'd rather keep my memories of SW novels good...)

Shoggoth2588:
I read the four books and yeah...I freaking hated the fourth book so much. Not only that spoiled bit you mentioned but...hm...

And how are you not suicidal?!

The Lord of the Rings. I liked Fellowship and Return of the King was alright too but Two Towers just seemed really unnecessarily long to me...make that completely unnecessary. It took me three or four attempts to get through that freaking book and I couldn't make it through the movie either. It just seemed to drag on and, on. I loved The Hobbit though.

See, most people I know IRL didn't like Fellowship because of a lot of needless 'poetry'... though there does seem to be a split between LotR=yay/Hobbit=boo or vice versa... odd...

There were two "recent" Halo Novels, Halo:Cryptum and it's sequel (can't remember the names), but they were so god-awful, I am ashamed of what they did to the series. The writing style was horrendous, characterisation was almost non-existent and the settings were rarely ever described in enough detail for me to figure out what the fuck was going on.

I read a few reviews and it seems to be highly praised, but I ask myself what the hell were they reading? It butchers the lore, which I will admit I am fairly well read up on, and is non-sensical at the best of times. I would NOT recommend it to ANYONE.

erttheking:
I can't help but feel that the ending to Lord Sunday came right the hell out of nowhere.

but then, most of Garth Nix's endings come out of nowhere. Nix creates some fantastic worlds, but he just can't seem to put a great story in it.

mParadox:
I got it! After a day of soul searching, I think I have the book in mind.

The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander. So here's this book, which is completely like Lord of the Rings but only if LoTR was incredible drivel. It was painful for me to read it. :'D

And I suppose Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens and the Mill on the Floss. These were so so very boring. ;~;

YES. Tale of Two Cites was a book I borrowed, as it was apparently a highly recommended piece of literature. Whoever told me that needs to be shot. I don't think I ever actually finished it, not because it was hard, just fucking boring.

Korolev:
Gravity's rainbow - because it didn't make a lick of sense. And I know it wasn't supposed to, but still, I felt it was a waste of my time. It was strangeness for the sake of strangeness.

Also, Dice man. Because the characters are psychopaths.

How could you make it past the part with General Pudding or whatever his name was. *shudders* That book was filled with weird and gross. I like odd post modern stuff but yeah... a lot of it was gross.

I usually do my best to forget the names of books I didn't like or finish until I find them during spring cleaning.

One I can remember was the first twilight book. I thought I had something because my friend hyped it up and how it was so great to be getting its own manga...

Boring as fuck. Kept reading believing that SOMETHING interesting just had to occur sometime before the end. I kept thinking, "I'm almost done and nothing is happening. What the shit?"

Then a baseball game comes, the villain comes, the main character ignores all intelligent thought, she gets rescued, they kill the villain and then they go to prom.

My friend lied to me.

Quala:

Hero in a half shell:

On topic there was one book I read to the end, set down and on reflection realised was a pile of crap: Mostly Harmless, by Douglas Adams. His 'trilogy of four' was a comedic literary masterpiece, ending brilliantly as Arthur finally found a bit of purpose in the galaxy. Mostly Harmless ruins all this, as an excuse to get him travelling around the universe again. Trillian is shoehorned back into it, there's some boring forced drama when Arthur gets magically given a daughter, an uncharacteristically dark storyline about a new guide, giving it a huge downer ending. It just lacked that comedic charm of the previous installments, and the overaching plot was cumbersome and confusing even in-universe, and just so dark compared to the happy-go-lucky style of previous books.

I can agree to this. I don't read too often, usually only when I find a book or series I really like, and Hitchhiker's and its sequels were one of those series that I found myself constantly reading, even when I could be doing something else, which is rare. Then, I got to Mostly Harmless and just couldn't stay interested. It just plain wasn't as good.

OT: Halo: Cryptum, personally. I like Halo and quite enjoyed most of the books, but I could not finish Cryptum. I lost interest fairly early on and just stopped reading. It could just be me not enjoying it due to the fact it wasn't actually all that relevant to the Halo universe featured in the games and books I read before that, maybe it's a good book for people who are more into sci-fi than I am, but it didn't feel enough like Halo for my tastes.

Hooray! I went and read through four pages just to see if there was anyone else that hated Cryptum as much as me :-) Bearing in mind, I finished it, and even read the sequel. It doesn't get better -_-

Twilight. I even read all of them HOPING it just might get good. Terribly disappointed. Waste of my freaking time.

Moby Dick is the most recent one I can think of. Also Paul Coelho's The Alchemist. It strives to be deep but just comes across as pretentious and new age spiritualist bullshit.

dalek sec:

rayen020:

The warhammer 40K book Conquest of Armageddon. wasn't the book i thought it was to begin with. Had a downer ending, but in a way that made the whole thing seem pointless. Yeah just finished and thought "wait, what? that's it? well that's shit..."

Hmmm... I've never heard of that one 40K book before, is that one of those "Print on Demand" deals they have there? Or is that some kind of codex type thing?

it's one of their novels. i think it's suppose to be about the first war for armageddon. It has a sequel called crusade for armageddon which is the second war for armageddon and therefore yarrick v ghazghkull. it wasn't print on demand or anything, it was just a 40K novel i picked up at B&N one day.

Karen Miller's Innocent Mage/Awakened Mage... The first book... was one huge frigging setup for the second. It seemed to promise the second book would be the real meat, blood and action of the story... and then NOTHING happened. I was... angry.

I just recently finished a book called Zombie Apocalypse. The idea of it is that it's a collection of diary entries, video transcripts, blog posts, chat logs etc. supposedly written by people in the middle of a zombie apocalypse (sort of like a real time World War Z). As an added bonus, each part is actually written by a different writer.

In theory, this sounds pretty good and actually two thirds of it are decent. However, there seems to have been little communication between each writer, which results in ideas never really being expanded on and slight contradictions.

The last third, however, is god-awful. Full of contradictions and awkward tonal shifts (comedy - horror - comedy etc.) and the actual ending was so terrible that I literally threw the book at the wall when I finished (one corner of the cover is still a bit screwed up, and this was about a month ago).

Shoggoth2588:

---

You're not alone on that one, The Two Towers is a very dry book. Fellowship is easier because the narrative is largely focused on (as the title implies) the Fellowship of the Ring. The Two Towers is effectively telling two large stories and one small one: Frodo and Sam (and later Gollum) towards Mordor, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli with Rohan and Merry and Pippin with the Ents. I found the Ents easy enough to read, the stuff with Rohan was great fun....but Frodo and the trip to Mordor was very bloody dull.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked