Books you finished and just thought: "Well...that was shit"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Under the Dome by Stephen King. 880 pages, and for what? A lame ass ending... Don't know how to hide the spoiler so I'm not even gonna bother.

And come on people, The Catcher in the Rye is great! :D A adolescent kid who thinks everything is shit; pretty good when I read it for the first time (I was 18 or so)

Terry Goodkind. Nuff said.

Half of Karen Traviss's stuff. Yay sanctimonious hypocrites who always win.

Anything by Brad Thor and Vince Flynn. How such amateur writers can be national bestsellers is beyond me. I love how they take turns blatantly ripping off both other writers and themselves by writing the same plot over and over.

Tom Clancey's The Bear and the Dragon. America rocks. Conservatives rock. Reader interest at rock bottom.

Lots and lots of game tie-in novels. I loved them when I was a kid. Now I look back and "well, that was sh*t" sums it up nicely.

Darth Bane-the Rule of two. Not the whole book, must two particular sequences that are so full of plot holes I had to put the book down.

DustyDrB:
I might make some enemies saying this, but I had pretty much the "Well that was shit" reaction when I finished A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

(glares)

Nah, i'm just kidding around.

(sharpens sword)

OT: Revan. What a fucking monstrosity. The whole thing was just Drew Karpshyn shoving his version of the character down our throat and telling us how awesome his blandness is, rather than focusing on the vastly superior Obsisian version. Oh, and they turned the Exile into a Revan fangirl, and did not comment on her

at all.

I'm normally a huge fan of Conn Iggulden, but Empire of Silver (a book I hugely anticipated after his first three Genghis Khan novels) was DULL.

At least I have the Sharpe books to keep myself occupied.

God Emperor of Dune was, well I'm not sure whether it was one of the smartest thing I've read or the stupidest. The book was filled with the ramblings of Leto, the God Emperor. It was complete nonsense, but I'm not sure if that was the point. Either Frank Herbert had set out to write some epic philosophy and missed his mark by a mile or the book was supposed to show us the twisted logic of an insane, inhuman, megalomanica who had lost all touch with the universe yet whose words actually created universal truth regardless.

Romblen:
Maximum Ride: The Final Warning. It's the fourth in the Maximum Ride series which were for the most part pretty good, although the science was a bit strange at times.

I won't go into detail, but the book is about the main characters having nothing to do, so they go to Antarctica, play with penguins, defeat a brain in a jar(yes, really.) by accident via hurricane, then they talk to Congress about global warming.

Oh, and a talking dog grew wings for absolutely no reason.

Maximum Ride fell so fast in my esteem after Book 1.

OT: Mockingjay, the third book in the Hunger Games series. Terribly paced - it felt like the author had wanted to make a quadrilogy but had been edited down to a third short but horribly rushed book.

Twilight. I was practically forced to read this book by my friends just to know what all the fuss was about. So I did. It's one of the most mind-numbingly boring, annoyingly angsty piles of poorly-paced shit I've ever laid my eyes upon, and it was only towards the end that anything remotely interesting actually happened.

Eragon. For a 17-year-old's first try at a book, it's good. But it was a pain to the read, to the heavy inspiration (and I use that word lightly) from similar fantasy novels, such as The Lord of the Rings (although that was shit too; could never get into it due to, again, the pacing and it's probably too dated for my liking).

Romeo & Juliet. It's not a classic, it's not a template for love stories. Maybe it was good at the time, but definitely not now. It's just pretentious bullshit about two stupid teenagers who'd deluded themselves into thinking that they'd fallen in "love at first sight", got married on impulse, and later both committed suicide after a stupid plan with clear holes from the beginning fucked up. And at the end, what was the lesson that we were supposed to come away with? I'll tell you: nothing, or at least one that wasn't common sense or something we hadn't heard before.

Davey Woo:

Korten12:

Davey Woo:
The ending to the second Guild Wars book, the Edge of Destiny.

I don't read books all that much, but I was just really stumped by this ending.

If it's any consolation, one of the big parts of GW2 is to bring them back together.

I did guess that was going to happen, but I just still felt that a bit more effort could have been put into the book's ending than just "They don't like each other now, the end."

Side note: Is it bad that I'm sitting here with the beta login screen minimised, just to hear the music?

Nope, the menu music is awesome. :)

the darknees abyss:

Tony:
The Hunger Games and the Twilight series. I did not understand the love and hype for these books at all.

you baster you did not understand for these books they are awesome well maybe not the not the frist twlight book but apart from that there awesome and your the baster for not geting it

Oh hail thee, almighty troll/7th grader!

"A Darkness at Sethanon" by Raymond E. Feist.
I didn't exactly think "DAMN THAT WAS SHITTY." but I felt nonplussed. After reading the two preceding novels and it, I was done with him. Decent writer, but his stuff is a little too nicey-nicey for me. Blame it on starting with fantasy by the likes of Gemmell and Moorcock at a young age.

BNguyen:

sabercrusader:
I know you said no books your school made you read, but I'm going to put one anyways.

Goddamn was "To Kill a Mockingbird" horrible. It sucked balls, and while it was only what? 250 pages? It took me a couple days of straight reading to get through it(it was for a CP English summer project). I could not stand it.

Also, I read the first "Twilight", so yes, I can make an informed opinion about it. It was shit. Really, the ending was the only part that I actually liked remotely.

What about the ending? Because it was finally over?

Well, yes and no. No because the ending was kinda actually remotely interesting. Barely.

woodaba:

DustyDrB:
I might make some enemies saying this, but I had pretty much the "Well that was shit" reaction when I finished A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

(glares)

Nah, i'm just kidding around.

(sharpens sword)

OT: Revan. What a fucking monstrosity. The whole thing was just Drew Karpshyn shoving his version of the character down our throat and telling us how awesome his blandness is, rather than focusing on the vastly superior Obsisian version. Oh, and they turned the Exile into a Revan fangirl, and did not comment on her

at all.

Hey, that's a pretty cool sword you have there. Mind if I hold it? Ahhh! Why are you trying to hand it to me blade first in a stabbing motion?

I had that reaction to the Revan novel as well, though I didn't finish it. I got too disgusted with it about 2/3s the way through and deleted it off my Kindle. That's one downside of e-books. You can't burn them, hurl them into a lake, encourage my dog to pee on them, etc.

the Dept of Science:

tensorproduct:
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Just awful on every conceivable level. Condescending, preachy, mystical mumbo-jumbo horseshit. Damn, fifteen years later and I'm still angry that I read this fucking worthless crap.

So happy someone else said this. The thing that annoyed me even more was how many people got taken in by it. I would have ignored it except for the fact that some friends who's tastes I trusted put it on their favourite book lists (one had it up there with Anna Karrenin, another with East of Eden).
There was just a massive entitlement philosophy running through the whole thing. To achieve your dreams, you don't need a mix of hard work, natural talent and a good dose of luck. No, all you need is to REALLY want it. Then "the Universe will conspire to help you". That might be a great message for Oprah, but how about the millions of starving people who REALLY want food? Is their fault they just don't WANT it enough?
Disagreeing with the philosophy is one thing, there are plenty of books which I enjoyed even though I didn't share the authors views. That's because you at least had a good plot or characters or writing style to enjoy. The Alchemist had none of those.

Bah. Grrr.

I think that it's safe to say I wouldn't hate this anywhere near as much if there weren't so many people eager to push it as a great spiritual work.

The "spirituality" of it is utterly moronic as well. On the plus side, all those so willing to identify with this book makes it slightly easier to avoid selfish, gullible idiots.

Renegade-pizza:

Freechoice:

Renegade-pizza:

Mass Effect: Deception.

Oh, I remember reading something about that on TV Tropes.

I'd love to see a link for that tropes page. Also, his colon had also be an adrenaline ajunkie for whats coming next. :P

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/YMMV/MassEffectDeception

There ya go. Cannot be arsed to bb it, but there ya go.

Hunger Games:Mockingjay.
HOLY FUCK do I hate this book, Catpiss Jellybean just whines & bitches mostly, and has SO many character deaths that are blown way out of proportion, its passed Call of Duty levels.
Hunger games books are...meh,well written(The first two only), with well developed characters, but now its becoming...Twilight.
Now I heard Battle Royal was a hell of a book...
Still have to get through Inheritance and Game of Thrones.

Relish in Chaos:

Romeo & Juliet. It's not a classic, it's not a template for love stories. Maybe it was good at the time, but definitely not now. It's just pretentious bullshit about two stupid teenagers who'd deluded themselves into thinking that they'd fallen in "love at first sight", got married on impulse, and later both committed suicide after a stupid plan with clear holes from the beginning fucked up. And at the end, what was the lesson that we were supposed to come away with? I'll tell you: nothing, or at least one that wasn't common sense or something we hadn't heard before.

Ooo yes, this. So, so much. I actually love a lot of Shakespeare, including some of his romances, but Romeo and Juliet just plain pisses me off.

Greatest love story of all time my arse...

Relish in Chaos:

I don't much like it either, but the basic lesson is supposed to be "Puppy Love is stupid".

I've never finished a book I thought was shit. If I thought it was shit, I wouldn't bother finishing it.

I guess the closest I ever came to that though would be the first DOOM novel. I finished it and thought "meh."

I'd have to say when I was a younger teenager and I read the final book in a trilogy I had been rather fond of. The name of the first book in the series was Dragon Fire and it was about a woman and her daughter who make pottery dragons that come to life who meet a tenet who wishes to stay at their home. The second book was named Ice Fire and was also very good, delving more into the past of the women and the tenets own character. The final book Star Fire was...horrible.

It butchered the story, created an incredibly stupid plot twist involving extra dimensional body posessing aliens where the adults were evil and hated dragons for some reason, killed off the main character, and generally was a horrible ending to a (more or less) good series

The7Sins:
I read the entire Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. The first 4 books were great. The next 7 went on and on filled to the brim with obvious preaching about Mr Goodkind's political views being very thinly veiled by books and ending with an ass pull victory vs Jagang in the last book almost like he realized he wrote an unbeatable enemy and had to resort to bullshit to vanquish him (similar to the ass pull in Bleach vs Aizen in terms of stupidity).
The last 7 of those books were so horrendous I think they combined to take away 7 years from my life expectancy.

same. I read them thinking they were cool. Now years latter I feel them eating at my brain. But I would go one further then you. The whole thing was crap. The first book had 200 pages of S&M. 200 pages of Mr. Goodkind's sex fantasy. For some reason I read the whole thing. I still regret it. I cannot believe I thought they were good.

Personally, I love Ice and Fire. I'd agree that Crows (book 4) was the weakest of them (it doesn't get going for a long time), they're still very well-written, and if you're like me and really got into the characters, it's still an enjoyable series. I just think Martin needs to trim the hedge a bit. Too many characters compeating for space. Dragons was a promising return to form, though.

Worst book? The new Legend of Drizzt books are pretty shite.

land under englend, i must admit i did not finish it. it is a really same because it started off so good, it had a dark and intrestiong world but when the main character find the tribes under the ground it get so boring and reopetaive. my option is life is to short for bad books.

Mayhaps:
I don't remember what it's called but there is a book that's the unoffical sequel to "catcher in the rye", it was complete and utter shit.

Captcha: well read

its "the catcher in the rye"

and i think the sequel was call "coming through the rye".

"Wide Sargasso Sea" by Jean Rhys. God, what a shit ending.

Zoe's Tale by John Scalzi. The other books in the Old Man's War series were great. The first one (Old Man's War) was amazing, the second (The Ghost Brigades) very good, the third (The Last Colony) still a good read, although there were some plot-holes you could park an aircraft carrier in. Now, the fourth book, Zoe's Tale, just seems to exist to explain all these plotholes, but does that from the perspective of a young girl so smug and glib and arrogant, you'll want to peel off her face with a toothpick.

Catcher in the Rye. My english teacher built up so much fucking hype about it; saying the language was strong, it was a rebel's book and stuff like that. Holden says "fuck" like twice and he came across as prissy rich cunt.
Romeo and Juliet. Just shit. Be ashamed Shakespeare.
And a few people have mentioned Maximum Ride: The Final Warning. Yeah that was pretty terrible.

Renegade-pizza:
The first three were written by Drew Karpyshyn (the lead writer of Mass Effect), but this one was the first book of a newbie.

This should have been your first clue. The first three books were good specifically BECAUSE of Drew's work.

To actually answer the question:

-Eragon (Technically Eldest, because I thought the first was okay).
-Book 1 of the Hungering Saga. So bad I forgot its name.
-The Da Vinci Code
-Guilty Pleasures (Laurell K Hamilton). Horrible.

The third Narnia book The Horse and His Boy. After the utterly kick-ass Lion Witch and the Wardrobe, the Horse and His Boy left me broken inside. Horrible book.

HAHAHAHA finished? I can barely get into great/good books. If it's shit I won't get to the end of that page when I decide it's bad.

The Serpent Club and Catcher in the Rye spring to mind. I realize Catcher is supposed to be an all-time classic but both of these suffer from protagonists so cynical and bitter at an admittedly crappy world around them that their first-person narration poisons any interesting developments in character or theme. Seriously, I'd rather have Yahtzee narrating his own life than these guys.

I've read some good movie novelizations like Dragonheart and Jurassic Park, but The Dark Knight was awful. Around the 150 page mark it was like the author had a page limit and realized he was up against it, so everything past the Joker's arrest is incredibly rushed and sloppy, about 95% dialogue without any creative additions or descriptors of anything or anyone.

Revan. I waited about 6 years for a book about Revan, then Revan is not only written badly and dully, but isn't even the main character (the books actually about some generic sith lord), then Revan walks into an obvious trap (hmm theirs a ship outside an ABANDONED PLANET, I'm sure I should just proceed) and spends 100 pages capture, then ends the book in Stasis. This is totally what we should expect from a book that we have been waiting several years for, named Revan. I'm not even going to touch what they did to Bastilia and Exile (surface to say, if your a fan of KOTOR2 do not read this book. Seriously).
Of course some people could dispute just how bad the other stuff is, but the villain is quite possibly the worst villian I have seen in anything EVER. Hes SUPER Darth Nihilus, except of course Darth Nihilus and anything interesting that happened in the second game is never mentioned. He isn't very intelligent, but hes as powerful as a dragonball Z villian and everyone follows him because hes insane and dbz powerful, and as a kid he managed to eat a planet and drain 60 sith lords (no, I'm not joking.... I really, really wish I was).... Yeah. How the **** did this **** get published?

Feast for Crows (Game of thrones series). Storm of Swords was freaking amazing so I was so psyched. Oh boy Brianne and Cersi get viewpoint chapters... oh wait theirs a good reason why they were never given viewpoint chapters, their boring as hell and 1 dimensonal, which isn't so bad when someone else is in the driving seat, but pretty dam boring when your looking into their thoughts. Oh and nameless dull characters viewpoint chapters to... awesome... and nothing of much significance happens... mostly. The author has pretty much admitted this was a filler book, and that their should have been a time skip here, but he didn't want an awkard info dump at the start of Dance With Dragons. Or maybe he just wanted more money and figured a filler book would extend his franchise. Yeah.. reading this kind of destroyed my enthusiasm for the series, I ended up just reading the game of thrones wiki summary and moving on to Dance of Dragons... which I can't motivate myself to read. If you like dull anime like filler arcs, this book is for you!

Twilight: I'm sure its fashionable to bash this... but then again theirs a good reason for it.
Mentally retarded (looking at her thoughts, actions, and taste in boyfriends I strongly suspect she is) Mary Sue moves to a new town, treats everyone like jerks and becomes super popular with no effort, falls for 400 year old virgin (Not... bloody....likely) Mary sue abusive stalker "perfect" boyfriend. Yeah... its a bad book and it gives teenagers an unhealthy picture of romance. If you find yourself dating a man like Edward, get out of the relationship before he cuts you off from everyone you know and might be capable of helping you.

Other than I haven't read any ****ty books in a long time. Was doing well till I found Twilight

ImSkeletor:
The House On Mango Street is one of the biggest pieces of garbage I have ever read.

Oh my god yes this piece of putrid shit, I still have no idea what it was even supposed to be, I mean, an entire chapter dedicated to someone tying their shoes for no reason, or buying a dress, I don't even think there was a story in there (and when I say "entire chapter" I mean a single, solitary, paragraph with a void of white space underneath it afterwards) Hell, our teacher actively thrashed this book, and when the entire class got together and filmed a group burning of our books the teacher gave us all extra credit

Eragon, full-stop. Read it as a kid and even then I thought it was awful. Tried to read the second book once, on the off-chance the author had improved between volumes. Couldn't make it past page 5.

Two books spring to mind: Here Lies Arthur by Phillip Reeve, and Shade's Children by Garth Nix. Recently, i haven't bothered finishing books if i think they're shit, but these two are stuck with me because the authors are responsible for some of my favourite series of all time (Mortal Engines and the Abhorsen trilogy). My god were these two bad, not only because i expected better, but because i have no idea what the point of them was.

varulfic:
So Long, and Thanks For All the Fish, the fourth book in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series.

This is point where the series jumped the shark in a huge way. The fifth book sucked aswell, but the fourth was especially infuriating due to the sudden and egregious shift in tone. Instead of surreal intergalactic adventures with humorous sci-fi concepts, the book takes place entirely on Earth and focuses on a dull love story. The romance is pretty much the entire book, with only the last chapters touching on anything remotely Hitchhiker-like. And the worst part is that the entire plot is essentially meaningless since the love interest introduced in the book isn't even in the next one!

Y'know, now that I think of it, the fifth book (Mostly Harmless) might be even worse. "Thanks for all the Fish" might have been boring read, but Mostly Harmless is like a straight up fuck you to fans of the series, and ends things off at a terribly. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy really should have stayed a trilogy.

With great sadness, this.
When I finished the last book I almost wondered when I accidentally changed series.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked