Detroit fire department lets city burn

Pages PREV 1 2 3

LoathsomePete:

Ultratwinkie:

Nouw:
I think Paul Verhoeven predicted correctly again.

Paul Verhoeven predicted something else other than Detroit following Robocop?

He predicted the Iraq War/ War on Terror in 1997 when he made Starship Troopers

I actually think that guy is a real life prophet.

This...actually isn't a bad idea. I live near Detroit, and let me say...holyyyyy shiiatttt is it bad in some parts.

Letting parts of it burn naturally would solve plenty of problems and wouldn't cause many. The neighborhoods have houses that are spread well-enough apart that it wouldn't be an issue, and we have TONS of abandoned buildings and no money with which to tear them down.

Between this and trying to sell off those abandoned properties, I'd say we're on our way to somewhat solving this housing crisis.

Ultratwinkie:
I expected a bigger reaction. The Escapist seems indifferent to Detroit's issues, even if they are unthinkable to most.

They're so unthinkable that I don't know how to react. If my island in Tropico reached this point, I'd hit the "Restart" button. Same for SimCity. If Edmonton reached this point, I'd take a permanent vacation.

My only thought is "It looks like it's time to make Detroit a ghost town", which I'm sure isn't a popular stance.

Quakester:
This is what happens when a major industry is removed from the area. Without a booming auto industry to support the city, it's collapsing inwards. Unless some other major industry makes a home there or the city hits an equilibrium point the situation is likely going to get worse.

It's the inevitable result of a city basing its entire economy on a single industry.

In the long run, finding a replacement for their auto industry will do nothing to reverse Detroit's decades-long slide into oblivion. At best, the city might start recovering sometime in the 22nd century (it took Manchester over a century to recover from the failure of their textile industry), assuming it doesn't pull a Rome (spending over a millennium as a nearly empty shell of its former glory) or just fade away altogether.

Kind of reminds me of this story:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/tennessee-family-home-burns-while-firefighters-watch-191241763.html

Pretty sickening that firefighters could actively stand by and watch somebody's house burn down when they could possibly save it. All because they didn't pay a 75 dollar insurance fee. I doubt people had a lot of respect for Tennessee firefighters after that.

Private Custard:

snave:
Wall off entire abandoned quarters, stick a camera shop, hostel and internet cafe out the front and charge admission for a day pass.

Urbex heaven! Now I've been to some pretty nasty places when exploring and have discovered some horrid stuff (a chair surrounded with rope on the floor, and blood!), but damn, an entire city!

Your idea is solid apart from one thing, the urbexers would do what they do best and find another way in, so they wouldn't have to pay!

Generally, this is not the case, although the results of an upcoming urbexer survey may shed a little more light on that.

Usually when a legit and a backdoor route exist, the backdoor route is chosen not for cost benefits but for freedom from tour groups and access restrictions (Hashima comes to mind, where the tour organisers loot anything of photographic value before opening new sections). Make all daypass holders sign a legal waiver and you're right. Consider the cost of DSLR rigs, specific gear (PPE, light-painting stuff, cosplay apparel), escalating transport costs over time (because urbexers keep having to travel further afield to find new sites), hotels, Adobe licenses: most urbexers are willing to spend their earnings. An extra $50 to cover the local fire department who in turn will protect the site in addition to local interests? Cheap and justifiable. They'd save that much daily just from having a cheap hostel option handy.

Other quarters of town could be bought up by paintballing operators.

Syzygy23:

Ultratwinkie:
I expected a bigger reaction. The Escapist seems indifferent to Detroit's issues, even if they are unthinkable to most.

It's DETROIT. Have you ever been to Detroit? If America had to have a proverbial asshole, that city would be it. You're apt to get shot even in the NICE parts.

My Animal Physiology professor labels the anus Detroit every time he goes over the digestive system in every course he teaches. No one ever needs it explained why he does this, everyone gets it, even our international students. I haven't been and don't want to go there. My friend had a gun in her face within an hour of getting there, and she was just working on a school project.

Kendarik:

If you are only seeing an average price of $68K you aren't in a bad buying environment with a housing shortage. I just sold my 1100sq foot single story house where I live for $631K.

This is not where you live. This is Detroit. If you brought your house here, it would be worth less than 100,000. That's all relative. It's a bad buying environment because while prices have dropped or remained flat for the rest of the nation, Detroit has jumped 20% in one month. There is a shortage here because one of the poorest areas in the country is right next door to one of the richest counties in the nation, and half of all home sales here are cash.

It's uniquely fucked up.

xDarc:

Kendarik:

If you are only seeing an average price of $68K you aren't in a bad buying environment with a housing shortage. I just sold my 1100sq foot single story house where I live for $631K.

This is not where you live. This is Detroit. If you brought your house here, it would be worth less than 100,000. That's all relative. It's a bad buying environment because while prices have dropped or remained flat for the rest of the nation, Detroit has jumped 20% in one month. There is a shortage here because one of the poorest areas in the country is right next door to one of the richest counties in the nation, and half of all home sales here are cash.

It's uniquely fucked up.

My point is if you can get a house for the dirt cheap price of $100,000 your housing market is still cheap and affordable. That puts the land value at near $0 as it would probably cost you $100,000 just to build something decent.

If you want prices less than that there is a reason why the city is in decay.

Also why do you keep bringing up "cash". Why does it make any difference if people pay cash or get a mortgage? Personally I can see why they would pay cash, with such cheap prices the entire house costs what a down payment would be worth somewhere else.

BTW, a rich area next to a poor area isn't uncommon. You should be glad new people and money are moving in, its the only thing that might save your city from total decay.

Kendarik:

xDarc:

Kendarik:

It's uniquely fucked up.

My point is if you can get a house for the dirt cheap price of $100,000 your housing market is still cheap and affordable.

It would seem that way wouldn't it? But consider the unemployment rate and average income in the area and then suddenly you understand why real estate prices are relative to the location.

xDarc:

Kendarik:

xDarc:

It's uniquely fucked up.

My point is if you can get a house for the dirt cheap price of $100,000 your housing market is still cheap and affordable.

It would seem that way wouldn't it? But consider the unemployment rate and average income in the area and then suddenly you understand why real estate prices are relative to the location.

If they were worth less, they would sell for less.

People don't just toss away money, they pay the least they can get away with. Thus, in your dirt cheap market the prices are becoming a little less depressed as more people see reasons to move there. That's a good thing.

As for the unemployment, $1 houses won't fix that, it could actually make it worse.

xDarc:
It's uniquely fucked up.

I can second that, wielding quite a bit of knowledge of urban geography and city observation, visiting along with several other students studying the same.

Now we already went 'oh America...' seeing 1 metre high sand dykes next to big rivers, 'highways' where 50 kp/h would be unsafe due to poor maintainance, people whose weight could only be measured on the richter scale as they walk anymore and houses with re-used plastic for roofs, but I have to say what we saw around Detroit... Not seen anything quite comparable with that since. Even the worst hit parts of the German former DDR looked a lot more... powerfull, economically as a region.

The only way to fix it I think would be to literally knock everything down and rebuild it from the ground up with much higher European-like housing density so services can be guaranteed and maintained and neighbourhoods don't pauperize further.

Then again, I know wanting a big sum of tax money for a large scale public works operation for the benefit of other people is about the last thing that would work in the US with all the 'but taxes for the rich need to be low as possible cuz this will magically fix everything' stuff going on.

You know, at this point.....nothing really surprises me about Detroit. It's not that I'm indifferent, it's just...well, what can you do? The city is beyond fucked.

It's looking more and more like it would be better for them to just start over.

Edible Avatar:

Syzygy23:

Ultratwinkie:

It's DETROIT. Have you ever been to Detroit? If America had to have a proverbial asshole, that city would be it. You're apt to get shot even in the NICE parts.

You've obviously never been to Grosse Point XD.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grosse_Pointe,_Michigan

Pretty much everywhere near where I live (southeastern Michigan) is a shithole. There is a big weed problem in my town and pretty much everywhere in this region is going to hell.

Isn't Detroit permanently on fire anyway?

lacktheknack:

Ultratwinkie:

They're so unthinkable that I don't know how to react. If my island in Tropico reached this point, I'd hit the "Restart" button. Same for SimCity. If Edmonton reached this point, I'd take a permanent vacation.

My only thought is "It looks like it's time to make Detroit a ghost town", which I'm sure isn't a popular stance.

Another Edmontonian? Kewl.

I've never been to Detroit (in fact, the only foreign city I've ever been to was Seattle), and while I knew that the place was the butt of a large number of jokes, I didn't actually take them seriously until I saw this thread and decided to look it up for myself.

...This is the kind of place I'd expect to find in the shittier parts of Africa. That it exists in a developed nation completely blows my mind.

I guess there's only three options left:
1) Reverse engineer Megatrons head to create a world of advanced robots
2) Make Detroit the home of human augmentation
3) Build the damn Robocop already.

Otherwise it could be advertised as the ultimate post-apocalyptic experience!

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked