Crushed by your own dreams

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Whats up escapists, bit of a story for you, then a question. So i won't go into great detail, but i have been quite severly depressed lately to the point of shutting myself in and avoiding speaking to friends (even online) anyways, last night i had a particularly pleasant dream of a beautiful girl, more specifically me talking to her, i suppose its worth noting that nothing overtly sexual or pervy was going on, and i dont even remember what she specifically looked like beyond that she was attractive, however what i DO remember very clearly were the (seemingly) genuine feelings of love and happiness, something as you can imagine i'm not very used to in real life. Now anyone i know will tell you that im very much not the sappy romantic type, but i am prone to having emotional responses to things i see in games, movies, music etc. Anyways here i am staring into the eyes of my literal dream girl, with a feeling of happiness, the strength of which i've never experienced, only to come crashing back to my bleak, unsatisfying reality, and just like that i've gone from my absolute best to feeling lower than i ever have. Thats it, i guess i just thought such strong feelings were worth sharing, and i suppose this being a gamig forum its kind of an appropriate place to ask, have you ever felt such strong real emotions, in reaction to fake emotions? Well i guess they weren't fake but you get what i mean

I don't sleep long enough to dream anymore. I get about 2 per year at most so no, I haven't been crushed by them.

I once had a dream where I was web slinging around a huge abandoned city that was standing tall from a shallow tropical ocean. so shallow that I could see the golden sand on the sea bed.

It was awesome :D

Then I woke up D:

Carrots_macduff:
Whats up escapists, bit of a story for you, then a question. So i won't go into great detail, but i have been quite severly depressed lately to the point of shutting myself in and avoiding speaking to friends (even online) anyways, last night i had a particularly pleasant dream of a beautiful girl, more specifically me talking to her, i suppose its worth noting that nothing overtly sexual or pervy was going on, and i dont even remember what she specifically looked like beyond that she was attractive, however what i DO remember very clearly were the (seemingly) genuine feelings of love and happiness, something as you can imagine i'm not very used to in real life. Now anyone i know will tell you that im very much not the sappy romantic type, but i am prone to having emotional responses to things i see in games, movies, music etc. Anyways here i am staring into the eyes of my literal dream girl, with a feeling of happiness, the strength of which i've never experienced, only to come crashing back to my bleak, unsatisfying reality, and just like that i've gone from my absolute best to feeling lower than i ever have. Thats it, i guess i just thought such strong feelings were worth sharing, and i suppose this being a gamig forum its kind of an appropriate place to ask, have you ever felt such strong real emotions, in reaction to fake emotions? Well i guess they weren't fake but you get what i mean

I dream of paragraphs.

No, anyway. To answer your question, yes. My dreams are many and varied, but the good ones tend to resonate with me right up until I remember they cannot be real and my life can't be that good, at which point I just feel rather pissed off at my life in general.

I once had a dream i'd been eating the most amazing hotdog .... then I woke up with a mouth full of pillow.

It didn't taste all that great.

Rawne1980:
I once had a dream i'd been eating the most amazing hotdog .... then I woke up with a mouth full of pillow.

Yeah...

Hotdog.

I'm such a child.

Daystar Clarion:

Rawne1980:

Yeah...

Hotdog.

I'm such a child.

And you were berating me for innuendo. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Loop Stricken:

Daystar Clarion:

Rawne1980:

Yeah...

Hotdog.

I'm such a child.

And you were berating me for innuendo. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Silence!

Being a hypocrite means I get to do that.

I had a really nice romantic dream about a girl I used to work with that I took on a date once (but things didn't really work out). I hadn't spoken to her in a long time. So upon waking up I thought I'd message her on facebook to see how she was doing... Then I found out she had un-friended me...

Two nights ago, I had a Dream where I was watching this Youtube Music Video for this odd song. I can't remember the song itself, although I remember the Title being "It's Too Late" (Not the one everyone knows), I can only remember the video. From what I can recall, the song comes from some Concept Album about a Cannibalistic Serial Killer. The showed some pictures; The Killer staring in a mirror and you see his reflection, a pair of humongous white tennis shoes with the feet still in them, blood encrusted on the shoe hole and one shoe being sawed at the toe region, and the killers little apartment, complete with a dead, half eaten body (It looked sort of real, sort of fake). What I really remember is the end of the Music Video, which appeared to be home footage of the Killer. Apparently, the Killer had this ugly dog with gray fur, off-kilter eyes, and a deranged look to it. The Killer says to the camera off screen "It's too Late for me. Come here you!" as he sits on the Couch where the dog is laying. The man puts his hand in the dogs mouth, and even though the dog is biting the heck out of his hand, the man pulls out one of the dogs teeth, which doesn't seem to affect the dog. Then, he grabs the dogs neck and snaps it (Please note, that the Dog Killing Bit looked, to me, as if it were staged and faked, especially with the odd looking dog). The video ended that way, and while I know I had more Dream, it didn't focus on the Serial Killer of the Music Video anymore, and I can't remember it.

Odd Dream...

When I have dreams like that, it occasionally upsets me I don't have that connection in real life any more, but on another degree spurs me to create one :D

I like to think of my glass as half full ;)

Yeah, I can't remember the details but I remember being so content in my dream and then when I woke up everything was just... meh. Thankfully I move on past my dreams fast even when I try to think about them.

I've also had horrible dreams that worried me and kept me worried once I woke up. Going into a lab in your dream to space out and find you have 10 minutes to finish and you have nothing completed doesn't give you good feelings for the labs you have coming up D=

Yeah, OP has pretty much happened to me. Not quite, but almost the same.
It also preceded the worst day I had in months.

Thank you everyone for your positivity, i was sort of questioning if posting this was a good idea while writing it, but now im glad i did. Also sorry for the unpolished wall of text, im not a very frequent poster so i guess i didn't really think about seperating the paragraphs, but ill keep that in mind for my next rant
:P

Never I am the master of my dreams.

I know how the OP feels. I've had recurring friends, love interests, and even a delightful daughter who looks similar to me and similar personalities (though in real life I can't give birth thanks to issues related with my birth).

What saddens me is that I know my brain is capable of producing wonderful feelings of being loved, perfect contentment, and euphoric happiness. Yet, when I wake up I am miserable and depressed. I have been suicidally depressed since I was little so I truly don't know what it is like to be happy. I've never had a carefree childhood or a feeling to contrast my depression with, thus I feel unable to truly let go of depression because it is all I know.

It feels like my brain taunts me, because it can produce those sensations of warmth and happiness, but it chooses not to when I'm awake.

I should note that I'm a very lucid dreamer that can manipulate my dreams like a director. Randomness doesn't occur. Perhaps that is due to being an extremely light sleeper so maybe a part of my consciousness is at work. I remember dreams very well most likely linked to fact that I wake up many times in the night and many more times that I don't remember. Thus, I'm always tired. (I don't snore, but I stop breathing at times)

I've had some dreams that made me feel pretty awful afterwards. For example, i had a dream once about a girl in my astronomy class who I considered WAY out of my league (more mature, intelligent, and attractive than me), but in this dream, i was in a very crowded urban setting with very muted colors (all dark blue and greyscale) and i kept getting glimpses of her walking away, and I could never catch up. Of course, this was after i had graduated high school and went to a different college, so I kind of just had to deal with regret of missed opportunities. (so ronery...)

HOWEVER!

i have also had pretty awesome dreams. One of the most memorable was about this strange, sentient blue gel. It must have been made of nanobots or something like that, because it would integrate with people, granting them more physical ability and linking them to a kind of hive-mind - not the kind that controls you, but the kind that allows mental communication between members. S*** almost made me start a religion.

Every career-based dream I've ever had has been crushed. I will never get to have a job I actually love.

likalaruku:
Every career-based dream I've ever had has been crushed. I will never get to have a job I actually love.

Out of curiosity, what is your dream job?

On Topic:
I've had those dreams before, the ones where you don't know who it is. There's this one that I've never forgotten.

It was in black and white. I was outside in a park. It was nighttime. I was talking to this girl who had pink hair while we were siting in a gazebo. She was mentioning how some of her friends were going to prom that night and she didn't have anyone to go with. I asked her and we went there wearing the clothes we had on our back. We had a crap ton of fun and I fell in love.

This is why I've always had a thing for hair dyed pink.

Nope, maybe as a child if I've had a really scary dream or so but never in this way you're describing.

Yes, many times actually. They were really nice dreams and in the wise words of Daft Punk..."we'll make this dream come true :3."

It's a common dream, mate. I used to have them frequently between the ages of 16 and 24. They go away after a while.

It's probably just hormones or something messing with you.

I had a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed : "We hold these truths to be self-evident : that all men are created equal."
I had a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood.
I had a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.
I had a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I had a dream today!
I had a dream that one day down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification; one day right down in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.
I had a dream today, that one day...
I had a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain and the crooked places will be made straight and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together.

Considering most of my dreams are rather interesting I usually have a sense of regret or loss upon waking up but beyond that I generally accept that the dream is gone and get on with my day without being too affected by them. If I find one particularly interesting I take a record of it though. As for actually conversing with people in my dreams, the last meaningful conversation I can remember was a brief with one Death so generally no pleasant chats in my dreams.

Carrots_macduff:
a feeling of happiness, the strength of which i've never experienced, only to come crashing back to my bleak, unsatisfying reality, and just like that i've gone from my absolute best to feeling lower than i ever have.

I'd like to welcome you to my world. Or I dunno, there may be others here, I don't care. Don't worry, once you get to have these dreams a lot, you'll get desensitized to reality. That place sucks anyway.

I'm not completely joking, either. I like sleeping for the peace it brings me. Unless I'm dreaming of something stressful or just plain strange. Like that time I went to visit my ex job to find that my boss was a head that rolled on the floor and he started shouting at me for being crap while I worked there. That I even costed him money and he was going to sue me. yeah, not a pleasant feeling. But hey, on the other hand, the morning felt a little better.

My dreams tend to be much more interesting than reality, so in that sense of reminding me, yes they crush me. I watched Inception again recently and found the part where people prefer to dream than live in reality quite interesting. :/

I had a lucid dream once. For a few minutes I felt like a god, changing the landscapes and such.
Then I woke up :L

Carrots_macduff:

2 years ago.

(Wow, it was 2 years ago. Just realised that. Strange feeling)

I was asleep next to my girlfriend.

That night I dreampt about the girl I was with before her. I dreampt I was still with her. I wont go into the details of the situation. Just that I wished I was still with her.

Realising your ex is literally your dream girl is pretty fail.

In honesty?

There is no such thing as a "Fake" emotion. If you are feeling it, it is a real emotion. Your question seems to be "Have you ever had a dream that made you feel a real, possibly painful, emotion" and to that I answer with a resounding yes.

Dreams do that. Dreams are a weird part of psychology, a lot of psychologists/psychiatrists just ignore them because they are almost impossible to study (They are not observable in a real sense) and they seem to have a tendancy to mess with people.

Judging from you assumption that gamers do not feel emotions as much as normal people, plus the general structure of your post, I assume you are young. So... Shit gets better. Well, Better for a given value of better.

Keoul:
I had a lucid dream once. For a few minutes I felt like a god, changing the landscapes and such.
Then I woke up :L

I had one of those as well. It was awesome for... a duration. I don't know how long I was aware of my dreaming and capable of altering the universe till I woke up, but I did create and do some pretty cool stuff. Then it was over and I was stuck in the universe which answers to its own laws, not mine.

I never really had another one which had that effect on me. I had some in reverse: where the dream was terrible, and very realistic. I often had to check to see if it hadn't actually happened.

Yup so far two of my dreams I have experience were "pure hayyiness" (yes both were me with a girl". I do find it sad when I look up the psychological view of said happy dream, it means the happy dream is created to compensate when we are feeling depress. I guess that only happen twise so I not exactly depress all the time!

I have experience other strong emotions which is sadness as one of my dreams I was crying my eyes out when my brother had died only to find myself waking up and still feeling the crying emotion. It so annoying that I know my brother is alive and well so why am I still crying?

I have a lot of dreams that are like a combintions of silent hill and tribes.

it's weird.

My dreams taunt me with semi-realistic possibilities that would make me much happier, but would require a significant change that I have no control over for them to occur.

I have really, really wierd dreams, so I generally don't feel too bad about waking from them. However, in many of my dreams I'm some sort of adventurer or soldier or something (for e.g. in a dream I had recently I dreamed that I was Commander Shepard, and in another recent one I was a survivor of the Siege of Cawnpore), so I do have some mornings where I feel kind of depressed.

I once had this dream as a teen that I was in this abandoned house in this huge open field (think of the house in Courage the Cowardly Dog). Well, I enter the house and time just felt like it stopped. I explore the house for a bit, with warm yet cold light coming in through the windows, reflecting off every dust particle in the air.

As I finish exploring the bottom floor I head up the stairs and all of the sudden I get a feeling like something is chasing me. My adrenaline rushes and I run as fast as I can. The hallways keep turning, left, right, left and then right again, until I come to a dead end and look above me to see the entrance to the attic. I thought it was the perfect place to run for some reason.. well anyways, once in the attic I find some old furniture and throw it towards the entrance in an attempt to block the way of whatever it was that was chasing me.

Once I felt that it was secured, I noticed the only piece of furniture that wasn't a part of my barricade was a mirror. It was one of those tall, oval mirrors. I approached it slowly, feeling that it was a bad idea. Slowly I inch my way in front of the mirror, expecting something bad to happen. It took forever but I can finally see my entire body. And as I stare in to it I feel my persuer once again, as if he's right behind me but I see nothing. As I strain my eyes to find him, I feel a hand grab my shoulder and I swing around in an attempt to punch whatever it was.

As I punched I woke up to my fist flying through the air and just missing my mothers face by a few inches. I panicked and was so out of it and didn't understand at all. My mother calms me down and apparently was just waking me up to get ready for school.

tl;dr: I was being chased by a vampire and when I tried to punch it I woke up and was trying to punch my mother.

Probably the weirdest, most real dream i've ever had.

I had a dream about the girl I love. In it it was early morning, the sunlight streaming through the gaps in the blinds. We were lying together in bed, arms around each other and it was beautiful. Her hair messy, her warm cheek pressed gently against my chest...

Then I woke up and remembered she's broken up with me the week before.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked