Reviews and why some of them should not do them.

*NOTE* This is NOT me trying to start anything with reviewers or any specific review but just the topic of reviews in general.

I love to look around Amazon for many different things, games and boos for example, and I happen to always come across some reviewer who is not actually reviewing the product but "reviewing" how the book will not download on his Ipad or whatever. So he is not 1 staring the book because it is poorly structured or has typos in the book; he is instead gripping and complaining about how it will not download on his Ipad.

Has anyone else come across these sort of situations?

Gametrailers
IGN
Gamespot
Most user reviews on this site, the list is long.

I know it is stupid to complain about the idiocy of some people but I don't think I could facepalm any harder when people do not grasp the concept of reviewing a product.

I personally think all games should be judged by my standards, therefore I would be providing you all with a great service.

If I like the game, you will.

Guaranteed.

Or else...

Daystar Clarion:
I personally think all games should be judged by my standards, therefore I would be providing you all with a great service.

If I like the game, you will.

Guaranteed.

Or else...

Seems legit and I tip my hat to you as you provide us with A+ quality reviews. The llamas are poised and ready to trample.

Killer 7 got negative reviews by some critics....UNACCEPTABLE?!

How well the product works is important though. If someone has trouble using the thing they bought they should be able point it out somewhere. Should that be lumped into the main review? Probably not, especially for something like books and movies.For video games it gets a little bit less clear where the line is. If there was a "does it work" score as well as an "is it good" score, but there isn't and people make do.

It's interesting that you use the term product though. Because a "product review" of not-entertainment is all about how well it works.

I've seen reviews like that all the time.

Generally, if you buy a product, but it is not assembled by the manufacturers or company correctly, or if it fails to function properly, then that is fair game.

But too often I see people giving 1 star to a product because AMAZON or the DELIVERY service stuffed up. That's not the products fault! If the delivery service is bad.... the DELIVERY SERVICE IS BAD. Not the product.

If a computer program advertises on the box that it is compatible with your system, and it turns out it isn't, that's fair game to mention in the review. But if the problem lies with the Game store or the computer store selling you a scratched disk, or for not giving you the proper instructions, then that's the fault of the STORE or the DELIVERY service or the RETAILER.... not the product!

If Amazon fails to ship something to you, give Amazon the one star rating, not the product they failed to deliver.

Some people just lash out at everything.

LoveFilm is awful when it comes to user reviews, most of them spoil the entire plot within the first sentence.

burningdragoon:

It's interesting that you use the term product though. Because a "product review" of not-entertainment is all about how well it works.

To be honest I am not sure what else I can call it, product was the first word that came to my mind, hope that doesn't confuse a lot of people :S
I guess e book or game(s) would work better.

Xannidel:

burningdragoon:

To be honest I am not sure what else I can call it, product was the first word that came to my mind, hope that doesn't confuse a lot of people :S
I guess e book or game(s) would work better.

Oh product is a fine term really. It's just "does it work" is an important factor to any product, including ones for entertainment/artistic purposes. Knowing about potential technical issues is important when deciding to buy something.

Uh... yeah, basically what @Koroley said.

Then theres the people you see on lovefilm (and probably netflix/hulu) that post a review for the actual film on DVD months before it is released to say 'The trailer looks awesome' and then other people post a 1 star review to say 'OMG don't review a trailer'.

Or people on Amazon that give PC games bad reviews cos it gets bad performance on their system and there are loads of comments saying 'how about don't play it on a wooden chair? ' then 'yer dude, are you putting the disk in your toaster?'

Anyone that is not willing to receive hate mail for a review. Also boring people that just say I enjoyed that game since it is always better to you descriptive language like "I would rather be forced never to listen to jazz again than finish this game, which had bigger plot holes than the Grand Canyon." Also did I mess up that sentence that I just wrote?

my personal favourite was a review for cavestory+ on metacritic. Guy gave it the lowest rating because he didn't like the updated graphics, which you actually have to turn on in the options. so he was complaining about an optional feature "ruining the feel of the game" for him.

because NO ONE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO PLAY ANY WAY BUT HIS WAY :p

Some people should not be reviewers of things

I think nearly 90% of people who review things on the internet really shouldn't, TBH.

Game Informer.

They gave Paper Mario TTYD a review like it was gonna be GOTY, then they scored it a 6.5. Why? "Because no one buys Mario games".

Their Tales of Graces F review was just as bad. It got a 7.5, people agreed with that. What people didn't agree with? The writing of the review. The wording made it sound like it was gonna be scored a 5. Then again, GI is owned by Gamestop and Gamestop had an exclusive DLC if you pre ordered it through their store.

For games I normally look at the gameplay footage of the game instead of the reviewers themselves because everyones' opinion is different.

90% of the MW3 reviews.

They all said the same thing and anyone who had read the back of the cover could write the same review. Yeah, I think anyone remotely interested in the game already knew that there would be new killstreaks and packages, and that the campaign is a short roller-coaster.

Even the numbers at the end were the same, it was all a mess of 10/10 and 9.5/10, like if everyone waited for the first review and re-wrote it with his own words.

And let's not mention the ME3 reviews that completely omitted the "ending issue".

imahobbit4062:
Gametrailers
IGN
Gamespot
Most user reviews on this site, the list is long.

Truthfully, I'd say that the USER reviews are far superior to the paid reviews on those sites, which end up being pretty freaking clearly paid off by the big publishers.

Plus, users actually paid for their games and understand the value of a dollar. Paid reviewers didn't pay $60+ for their game and don't at all understand how much gameplay $60 is actually worth.

Edit: Would just like to include this. I agree with this:

ElPatron:
90% of the MW3 reviews.

(snip)

Even the numbers at the end were the same, it was all a mess of 10/10 and 9.5/10, like if everyone waited for the first review and re-wrote it with his own words.

And let's not mention the ME3 reviews that completely omitted the "ending issue".

Yeah I never understood how a game like MW3 gets such a high score, but I suppose that just supports that big companies do pay them off to say nice things.
/shrug

I have problems with Yahtzee. He should seriously put a disclaimer at the start of his videos where he says that he likes to exaggerated and that his reviews shouldn't be taken too serious.

I thought everyone knows that he exaggerates as much as possible, but lately I see more and more comments that say they won't but a game thanks to Yahtzee. Even tho Yahtzee piratically ignored 90% of the game. And mind you, if Yahtzee ignores a part of the game, that means that part is good.

User reviews are inherently flawed because users are morons. It's that simple. if it's a 1 to 10 scale, you'll have lots of people going for 1 or 10 just because they liked it or they didn't. When those scores indicate something completely different.

Now as somebody suggested, whether it works or not is actually important and can net you a 1. If a book has a few typos it's not a big deal, if a book has so many typos that it detracts from enjoying it, then a score of 1 is perfectly acceptable. And there is this:

The bug report was marked 'could not reproduce'.

If it doesn't work, then it needs 1 star.

Xannidel:
*NOTE* This is NOT me trying to start anything with reviewers or any specific review but just the topic of reviews in general.

I love to look around Amazon for many different things, games and boos for example, and I happen to always come across some reviewer who is not actually reviewing the product but "reviewing" how the book will not download on his Ipad or whatever. So he is not 1 staring the book because it is poorly structured or has typos in the book; he is instead gripping and complaining about how it will not download on his Ipad.

Has anyone else come across these sort of situations?

Nope, I still stand by my opinion that reviews are the reviewers opinion. I know someone will refute this, but I will still stand by opinion.

Anyways, each person is biased towards a certain thing. Mac users for example will insult PCs (generally speaking) and only love Apple products, the opposite can be said for PC users. Some Tolkien fans will stand by him till the end of time and insult Martin fans, while vice versa can also happen. In games, some reviewers love a certain type of game, whether it be Shooter, Action, Horror and grade them far higher than they would grade others. That is why, when given the chance, I will go to Metacritic, read both sides of the reviews (Good/Bad) and then formulate if I should rent or not. Some games I will buy instantly (for Example: Diablo III and StarCraft: HoTS) as I have (thankfully) played the Beta/Original game (Example OG would be SC2, the expansion won't differ too much from the basic gameplay so I will obtain it).

I hope that makes sense :(

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked