92 year old WWII vet bootlegs 300,000 DVDs and sends them to American soldiers in Afghanastan

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

manaman:
Being a former member of the US military I have to ask:

What the heck are they doing over there now? Maybe it was different being on an Air Force base, but there where hundreds of hours of movies, music, and games available on the networks while I was deployed and that was years ago. Maybe they started cracking down on the rampant piracy going on, but I really doubt that.

You answered your own question. You were on an Air Force Base, not an Army Camp where you need to watch a movie on a small laptop sharing with half a dozen people.

Mortai Gravesend:
I don't see why people think soldiers deserve such special treatment. They get paid over there, they aren't saints or something. And being a WWII veteran doesn't really give him leave to break the law.

Note: I am not attacking you, just hoping to give some perspective as you don't seem to have a very decent opinion of soldiers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I joined the Marines straight out of high school, got medically discharged, and still have contact with all of the guys still in. The military is hard. These are people that knowingly are putting their life at risk in a hostile environment. Few supporters claim they are saints, especially me, but it is a conscious decision to voluntarily risk your own life for years. I've had to listen to a pacifist in the area tell me how horrible I am. I see news reports of moronic idiots giving the military a bad name, because the damn media can never say "_______ did this" it's always "Marine (or Army, or whatever other service branch) did this" because associating it with the entire group sells better, and believe me those morons are hated by the members of the military probably more so than everyone else (same issues with police, equally infuriating). Personally I volunteered because I wanted to actually offer something to the country, and the funny thing is that's the reasoning for all the other guys in my D.E.P. (minus two, hated both and was sorely disappointed when they graduated) and a majority of ones I met while serving. A lot enjoy the idea of being the protector of your home. We're just crazy people who asked to be able to risk our life for some crap pay and decent benefits. By the way, not a whole lot of us ask to be put on a pedestal, but a lot of people see offering your life as praiseworthy and worth recognition.

P.S. Those other under appreciated jobs you mentioned, like sewer cleaners, yeah I highly appreciate them as well. I'd rather go back to Parris Island than do their jobs.

Suddenly realized I have yet to comment on the OT: Good intentions and act, though not handled the best way as this forum shows.

Mortai Gravesend:

accipitre:

I swear, I feel like half the people in this thread would have had Robin Hood hanged.

I must be ignorant of the story where Robin Hood steals from the rich and gives to the people who weren't really being victimized by these particular rich people, just for their entertainment.

I have a feeling you're one of those people that doesn't complain about DLC abuse and supports the MPAA for wanting to make people buy new copies of a movie when they want it on a different medium.

And if not, I seriously don't know what your deal is.

accipitre:

Because sweatshop workers aren't generally in danger of being shot or blown up.

They're jobs are about as dangerous though is my point. Besides, sweatshop workers often don't have much of a choice when going in, if a soldier goes to war it's usually because he had a choice thus he knew that he might die if he did.

accipitre:

Also, nice job attacking soldiers with unsubstantiated claims. TIL all US soldiers murder and rape, and everyone gets away with it. Nice one bro, but please save it for less civil forums... I doubt DrMegaNutz up there with the Rainbow Dash avatar appreciates being called a rapist.

Um do you know what "many" means? Keep in mind I don't hate the military and I would never say all soldiers do commit crimes, what I do hate is the unhealthy overbearing patriotism that soldiers do no wrong and the terrible justification for the job people seem to have. It's stuff like that that keeps people from addressing the more pressing issues like I said.

what he did was right, he broke the law thats all he did wrong, but what he was doing was right.

Xangba:

Mortai Gravesend:
I don't see why people think soldiers deserve such special treatment. They get paid over there, they aren't saints or something. And being a WWII veteran doesn't really give him leave to break the law.

Note: I am not attacking you, just hoping to give some perspective as you don't seem to have a very decent opinion of soldiers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I joined the Marines straight out of high school, got medically discharged, and still have contact with all of the guys still in. The military is hard. These are people that knowingly are putting their life at risk in a hostile environment. Few supporters claim they are saints, especially me, but it is a conscious decision to voluntarily risk your own life for years. I've had to listen to a pacifist in the area tell me how horrible I am. I see news reports of moronic idiots giving the military a bad name, because the damn media can never say "_______ did this" it's always "Marine (or Army, or whatever other service branch) did this" because associating it with the entire group sells better, and believe me those morons are hated by the members of the military probably more so than everyone else (same issues with police, equally infuriating). Personally I volunteered because I wanted to actually offer something to the country, and the funny thing is that's the reasoning for all the other guys in my D.E.P. (minus two, hated both and was sorely disappointed when they graduated) and a majority of ones I met while serving. A lot enjoy the idea of being the protector of your home. We're just crazy people who asked to be able to risk our life for some crap pay and decent benefits. By the way, not a whole lot of us ask to be put on a pedestal, but a lot of people see offering your life as praiseworthy and worth recognition.

P.S. Those other under appreciated jobs you mentioned, like sewer cleaners, yeah I highly appreciate them as well. I'd rather go back to Parris Island than do their jobs.

Suddenly realized I have yet to comment on the OT: Good intentions and act, though not handled the best way as this forum shows.

Hmm. Thanks for that reply, it seems very thought out and it is good to hear from people who experienced it.

I was kind of terse there because I disapprove of the idea of putting military service up on a pedestal, so I do react a bit much that at times when people want to offer special treatment for it. But eh... I should avoid holding it against the people in the military themselves so the saint comment was kind of off there. I have a hard time seeing giving one's life to be praiseworthy unless something praiseworthy is done with it. For instance I'd be more inclined to give some respect to someone who was engaged in directly defending us. I also think that regardless of military service people should be judged personally, so I don't like that it might overshadow that. But I do see the other view.

And for the sewer cleaning thing, while I suppose I'd appreciate the service done, it's still not one that I'd say would give me personal respect for someone. Was just meant as a point for why me not wanting to do it is far from my criteria for what it takes to respect someone personally.

accipitre:

Mortai Gravesend:

accipitre:

I swear, I feel like half the people in this thread would have had Robin Hood hanged.

I must be ignorant of the story where Robin Hood steals from the rich and gives to the people who weren't really being victimized by these particular rich people, just for their entertainment.

I have a feeling you're one of those people that doesn't complain about DLC abuse and supports the MPAA for wanting to make people buy new copies of a movie when they want it on a different medium.

And if not, I seriously don't know what your deal is.

I don't complain about DLC abuse because I don't usually complain about stuff, even if I do disapprove of some of the DLC things they do and am reluctant to buy it.

I also don't even know what you're talking about with the second one. A different medium? I suppose I wouldn't give a damn if you got it on a different medium for free yourself.

And my deal is that Robin Hood just doesn't compare. I think that's kind of obvious. The rich in Robin Hood's story are pretty much exploiting the poor. The MPAA isn't really exploiting soldiers in Afghanistan. Retribution against them isn't particularly warranted.

also not everyone in the military signs up to got to war some sign up for a degree as a medic mechanic or even a cook when suddenly the head shed needs more rifleman and you're the lucky one who goes from kitchen to afganistan, and who would you complain to?

I think that's outrageous, he should be imprisoned for the rest of his life for this crime. 3 months should do it.

bravo. damn fine! i'm glad at least a 92 year old man is doing something right in this crappy world :D

I have to agree with the article, the MPAA could have easily done what that guy did and received all the goodwill will but didn't because it'd be bad for business. While I don't think soldiering is the most important job or the most honorable it certainly is close. Soldiers offer their life to their country and I can't blame them if the war is unjust because they have no say in the matter, they are just told to ship out, it could have been a just war against murderous evil-doers and they would be the first ones there to protect innocents with their lives. The MPAA doesn't have case here I think, anything they do will turn the public against them because they would be going against someone the public admires. All what they can do is apologise for being out of touch and promising to do the exact same thing he did.

I did find it amusing though, how they grossly underestimated his expenses. 300,000 discs and 11 dollars per box puts his personal expenses at over 100,000 dollars.

This hurts me inside.

On the one hand, I have great respect for soldiers. Because they actually actively risk their lives for our safety, we isn't something the binman does.

On the other hand, I'm a flaming anti-pirate.

Wat do?

Regnes:
I did find it amusing though, how they grossly underestimated his expenses. 300,000 discs and 11 dollars per box puts his personal expenses at over 100,000 dollars.

Heh, true. They said about 4000 boxes, so that's 44k in and of itself. But then you get to 300k discs...

Mortai Gravesend:

SmegInThePants:
I like this guy, if I practiced law in his area and he got in trouble I'd represent him for free (or for a few dvd's perhaps).

Actually that would probably get you disbarred, accepting pirated goods for representation. Or maybe not disbarred. But in some trouble. Lawyers having their defendants commit the crime they're defending them from as a form of payment is um... yeah...

He didnt say he wanted pirated DVDs, the man made 300k copies, he must have origionals laying about.

Reading are hard huh? Also all the appeal to authority but also whining about the military is pretty cute.

OT: This guy is awesome. Wish I lived nearby so I could shake his hand.

Chairman Miaow:
I love the hypocrisy up in this thread. Almost everybody has just advocated piracy.

I fail to see how thats hypocrisy, unless they otherwise wouldnt be advocating piracy

FelixG:

Mortai Gravesend:

SmegInThePants:
I like this guy, if I practiced law in his area and he got in trouble I'd represent him for free (or for a few dvd's perhaps).

Actually that would probably get you disbarred, accepting pirated goods for representation. Or maybe not disbarred. But in some trouble. Lawyers having their defendants commit the crime they're defending them from as a form of payment is um... yeah...

He didnt say he wanted pirated DVDs, the man made 300k copies, he must have origionals laying about.

Reading are hard huh? Also all the appeal to authority but also whining about the military is pretty cute.

It was kind of the obvious implication. And appeal to authority? I didn't actually appeal to authority. Hint: That fallacy isn't to mention the law.
I think someone needs to lighten up. It was me replying jokingly to something that wasn't particularly serious.

Also he could easily have torrented them, so originals aren't necessary.

Whining about the military? Ah, now we see why you're acting like this. You have a complaint about my view? Say it in detail, don't give crap like this.

the guys a legend, he's brought so much joy to the soldiers in Afghanistan and, as unfortunate as it is for Hollywood that they cant add that new solid gold room to their castle on the moon, he's managed to dish out this joy on such a scale which, were he to buy older movies for say $10 each, is about 100x the scale of if he purchased those movies.

I really dont think that he should be punished, infact, Hollywood should see this as a challenge, to out do his efforts in sending over new release movies on a massive scale.

Piracy- not all that good
Pirating 300,00 DVDs- impressive
Doing it for soldiers- Legendary!

Even though he's 92 and a war vet, I can see the film companies having no problem trying to sue him into the ground. If they'll sue children, they'll sue him. Sad but probably true.

Chairman Miaow:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Chairman Miaow:
I love the hypocrisy up in this thread. Almost everybody has just advocated piracy.

Because it was for a good cause. In the greater scheme of things, most of these soldiers have bigger things to worry about than picking up a movie, so it's not like they would have bought them anyway. Might as well get some good PR.

But there are plenty of people on this site who will say that piracy is bad even if the game is unavailable in your area. So how is that any different, still no lost sale?

Then obviously those people who claim piracy is bad no matter availability weren't the ones commenting... You're calling people hypocrites for something different people have said.

You realize how blatantly generalizing that is, right? Escapists don't speak for each other.

Firts and for most this man has my respect,though what he did may be wrong his heart was in the right place.
now to all the missinformed/too selfintitled to actually do reasearch people, who say being a solder isnt worth respecting, these people join up to serve our Country knowing they will almost NEVER get thanked for it,will be abused by the ignorant and be used by politicians to futher their agendas. they still fight for us. they would still die for us. They will do everything in their power to make sure our lives are better. yes even those of you who hate,discredit,and abuse them.

If you have read this a still wish to say solders dont deserve our respect i ask you to leave our country for a place without solders who give a dam about you for you have NO idea what you have in these men and women.

Mortai Gravesend:

DrMegaNutz:

Mortai Gravesend:

No but we're bored out of our freaking minds. You try living in a shithole for a year with a gym, dining facility, and going on mission for a few hours a day and see if you don't go crazy. Been there, done that. Bootlegs are the only way to get movies over there. Can't buy them, limited to 1 DVD per care package to an individual, can't download, running 15kb/s takes days to download anything.

Yeah, but I don't see that someone being bored is a great reason to break the law on their behalf. And if you can only get 1 DVD per care package how is he sending them to avoid that? If there's another method I'd wonder why others don't use it.

Not saying that you're wrong for no one should break the law really but... I think DrMegaNutz has a point- the soldiers barely have anything to do other then doing their part in the military and regardless how we feel about piracy- they won't care because since they're putting their lives on the line.. they will feel privileged to have a DVD. To them, it's not like they're stealing anything where it'll drive someone out of a home.. they're merely getting access to a movie which will help them in the long run (or least short, depending on how many times one is willing to watch it over again).

I like to think back to ME3 where Garrus is in the flying car with Shepard. Beforehand, Garrus did everything he was told and didn't break the law due to regulations along with being part of C-Sec code. Then, Garrus simply told Shepard the reason why he's breaking the law of going on this one roof to have a shooting competition because he just didn't give a crap anymore. It's what happens when you fight daily or risk your life most of the time- you're not going to follow up on a small rule/issue at hand. It may be breaking the law, but it's not a huge issue to them.

As for me, I think it's sort of wrong but I do think if they're just wanting a DVD to pass the time then why stop them? Besides if we really busted this 92 year old man for doing that... the soldiers are going to give us a piece of their mind and I don't mean with violence but with voicing their concerns by the thousands (maybe).

ecoho:

now to all the missinformed/too selfintitled to actually do reasearch people, who say being a solder isnt worth respecting, these people join up to serve our Country knowing they will almost NEVER get thanked for it,will be abused by the ignorant and be used by politicians to futher their agendas.

Oh how ashamed I am. I have been called out by someone who doesn't seem to have the ability to discern differing values from ignorance on my part. It isn't worth respecting in and of itself. They do get thanked for it from some people. Also doesn't mean they deserve my respect because they don't get thanked for it. One reason gone. Abused by the ignorant? Given your... discerning eye I'm going to guess you mean people who disagree with respecting the military, which isn't such a terrible hardship. And being used by politicians? Signing up after you know that will happen won't gain my sympathy nor respect. No reason for it to. Serving our country is such a vague phrase. It has to actually do a fair amount of good for me to care.

they still fight for us.

Since when did I need someone fighting for me right now? When I need one I'll acknowledge what they did for me. When I don't need one, well then they didn't do anything for me.

they would still die for us.

Okay and that means I should think highly of someone? They'd be willing to die for us? Not good enough really.

They will do everything in their power to make sure our lives are better.

No, I doubt that they all will. And they're not doing it right now for me, so why do I care? My interests aren't being served by them right now.

yes even those of you who hate,discredit,and abuse them.

Yes, because we've shown such terrible animosity by not thinking they deserve free movies.

If you have read this a still wish to say solders dont deserve our respect i ask you to leave our country for a place without solders who give a dam about you for you have NO idea what you have in these men and women.

I'm not leaving. Maybe you should leave.

Is there a way for them to readily access current movies over there? If so I'd chalk this up to another case of another gap in demand that pirates have decided to fill.

RyoScar:
Even though he's 92 and a war vet, I can see the film companies having no problem trying to sue him into the ground. If they'll sue children, they'll sue him. Sad but probably true.

At the same time, he's well aware of what he's doing, and the article says he feels like it gave him a purpose in life again. I think he's prepared for them to take that away and sue him, at which point he has nothing anyway... well a son... but the son seems to be alright with all this too

Caramel Frappe:

Mortai Gravesend:

DrMegaNutz:

No but we're bored out of our freaking minds. You try living in a shithole for a year with a gym, dining facility, and going on mission for a few hours a day and see if you don't go crazy. Been there, done that. Bootlegs are the only way to get movies over there. Can't buy them, limited to 1 DVD per care package to an individual, can't download, running 15kb/s takes days to download anything.

Yeah, but I don't see that someone being bored is a great reason to break the law on their behalf. And if you can only get 1 DVD per care package how is he sending them to avoid that? If there's another method I'd wonder why others don't use it.

Not saying that you're wrong for no one should break the law really but... I think DrMegaNutz has a point- the soldiers barely have anything to do other then doing their part in the military and regardless how we feel about piracy- they won't care because since they're putting their lives on the line.. they will feel privileged to have a DVD. To them, it's not like they're stealing anything where it'll drive someone out of a home.. they're merely getting access to a movie which will help them in the long run (or least short, depending on how many times one is willing to watch it over again).

And you can give that not stealing anything to drive someone out of a home argument for regular piracy too. I don't think it holds well in either case. In fact I could say that to shoplifting too. Not that I think piracy is like traditional theft, before anyone jumps on me it was the word used in the post I am replying to, but I do think that argument is bad. And them not caring doesn't really affect anything, does it?

I like to think back to ME3 where Garrus is in the flying car with Shepard. Beforehand, Garrus did everything he was told and didn't break the law due to regulations along with being part of C-Sec code. Then, Garrus simply told Shepard the reason why he's breaking the law of going on this one roof to have a shooting competition because he just didn't give a crap anymore. It's what happens when you fight daily or risk your life most of the time- you're not going to follow up on a small rule/issue at hand. It may be breaking the law, but it's not a huge issue to them.

Okay, right it might not be a huge issue to them. But I'll also point out that plenty of other people don't see it as a huge issue either. I don't think that perception changes much.

As for me, I think it's sort of wrong but I do think if they're just wanting a DVD to pass the time then why stop them? Besides if we really busted this 92 year old man for doing that... the soldiers are going to give us a piece of their mind and I don't mean with violence but with voicing their concerns by the thousands (maybe).

I'm not saying to stop them. What's done is done.

As for the soldiers giving us a piece of their mind, that would just be petty of them. The exact message that sends out is they think they're above the law, or more accurately that someone else is above the law because he's being nice to them.

Fappy:
How did he make that many DVDs??? What a boss.

Time, patience, determination, long fingernails apparently.

OT: Usually everyone on this site hates pirace, no matter what. Even if there's decent reasons this is odd to me.

Mortai Gravesend:

ecoho:

now to all the missinformed/too selfintitled to actually do reasearch people, who say being a solder isnt worth respecting, these people join up to serve our Country knowing they will almost NEVER get thanked for it,will be abused by the ignorant and be used by politicians to futher their agendas.

Oh how ashamed I am. I have been called out by someone who doesn't seem to have the ability to discern differing values from ignorance on my part. It isn't worth respecting in and of itself. They do get thanked for it from some people. Also doesn't mean they deserve my respect because they don't get thanked for it. One reason gone. Abused by the ignorant? Given your... discerning eye I'm going to guess you mean people who disagree with respecting the military, which isn't such a terrible hardship. And being used by politicians? Signing up after you know that will happen won't gain my sympathy nor respect. No reason for it to. Serving our country is such a vague phrase. It has to actually do a fair amount of good for me to care.

they still fight for us.

Since when did I need someone fighting for me right now? When I need one I'll acknowledge what they did for me. When I don't need one, well then they didn't do anything for me.

Okay and that means I should think highly of someone? They'd be willing to die for us? Not good enough really.

No, I doubt that they all will. And they're not doing it right now for me, so why do I care? My interests aren't being served by them right now.

Yes, because we've shown such terrible animosity by not thinking they deserve free movies.

This kind of post is worthy of a freind request. I fully agree with everything said here. I really don't agree with all this soldier worship. For one thing 2 people I know joined the military because they needed jobs and the military was the only place hiring. They're not fighting for freedom, they're fighting for a paycheck to support their families. I know other people who joined just so they could afford college given the tuition increases. Besides the only people attempting to take away our freedom has been the US government with crap like the patriot act and SOPA. Soldiers to me are no different than anyone else, we're all working to support ourselves, some work in different fields than others.

So, I'm a young, naive 19 year old, can I go pirate tens of thousands of DVDs a year and give them out to over seas political representatives? Oh wait, no, it's against the law. This man knows it's against the law, and soldiers sign up for that crap, they know what they're getting into.. How is any of this justified.. Jail, blatantly he won't last long enough, he should be fined, and just because he's old doesn't excuse him of, y'know the law, that applies to everyone, I mean after all, he can spend $30'000 setting up the operation.

I read they whole front page and didn't see any jokes about his name being "Hyman".
I am disappointed.

I really hope no one goes after this guy for 2 reasons. The first (and obligatory good guy response) is that the man is a vet and old, plus what he did was nice. The second (and what I think is more interesting) is the precedent this would set in piracy cases.

Way I see it, they have two options. Convict the man and throw him in prison for what's left of his life (or at least fine him hard) and commit PR suicide, or don't do anything and leave a nice big thing that can be thrown up against them at any subsequent piracy hearing.

Xan Krieger:

Mortai Gravesend:

ecoho:

they still fight for us.

This kind of post is worthy of a freind request. I fully agree with everything said here. I really don't agree with all this soldier worship. For one thing 2 people I know joined the military because they needed jobs and the military was the only place hiring. They're not fighting for freedom, they're fighting for a paycheck to support their families. I know other people who joined just so they could afford college given the tuition increases. Besides the only people attempting to take away our freedom has been the US government with crap like the patriot act and SOPA. Soldiers to me are no different than anyone else, we're all working to support ourselves, some work in different fields than others.

Thanks! ^__^

And see, that's the thing. I don't think they're doing very much for our freedom right now. Possible good intentions that not all of them even share... well that's not enough to make me feel very appreciative. Now if we're in some kind of defensive war, then I can at least appreciate that they're doing something necessary and risky right at that moment.

Anyway, if people wanted them to get more movies so badly they could donate them. If so many people feel that strongly about it...

Chairman Miaow:

You'll have to elaborate. While the trend amongst posters here is to be against piracy we do have a minority of people who do support it or don't see it in pure black and white.

Mortai Gravesend:
And you can give that not stealing anything to drive someone out of a home argument for regular piracy too. I don't think it holds well in either case. In fact I could say that to shoplifting too. Not that I think piracy is like traditional theft, before anyone jumps on me it was the word used in the post I am replying to, but I do think that argument is bad. And them not caring doesn't really affect anything, does it?

Before I debate with you- let me just say that I am not mad in the least if you disagree with me. I've seen a few people getting on you and I am not one of them. Just like expressing myself now and again just so I improve on my debating skills. Alright moving on now, sorry bout that~

OT: If someone offers you a free DVD while you're pretty bored and tired of doing activities that are part of the job, are you really going to refuse that offer? The soldiers won't be thinking "Oh man, this geezer is breaking the law with piracy. We shouldn't accept men." but rather they'll be thinking, "OH f*** yes a free movie?! Finally something to do rather then playing with these deck of cards for the 55th time!" Haha I can imagine their excitement too. You'd be surprised how grateful people can be when given something to them while they've had nothing going on for months.

Okay, right it might not be a huge issue to them. But I'll also point out that plenty of other people don't see it as a huge issue either. I don't think that perception changes much.

.. But, if it's not a big deal then shouldn't the 92 year old be let off? Sure he still broke the law and that's wrong but you got to admit his heart was in the right place. If you went with me, to look outside the box- regardless how you felt after, we know for a fact that the guy only sent DVDs to soldiers because he was in WW2 and understands how tough it is so a little relief and fun is the least this guy can do for men serving their country.

I'm not saying to stop them. What's done is done.

As for the soldiers giving us a piece of their mind, that would just be petty of them. The exact message that sends out is they think they're above the law, or more accurately that someone else is above the law because he's being nice to them.

I wouldn't personally petty them, for it's actually civil and mature of them to give us feedback on how they feel rather then start problems. If we were to say the same thing about fans who were giving their concerns about how a game ended or whatever seems to be an issue.. then that would leave people having to accept what happens when really the majority (or even the community) should voice their opinions to help out the outcome. If say, my college was only selling their school books to girls 50% off while the guys had to pay full price and yet we'd be called out as petty for voicing out the unfairness that's being taken place before us. Freedom of speech may have it's flaws, but because of this we can get our points across despite if it needs to be addressed on manners like being allowed to have free DVDs even though it was pirated in the first place.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked