Legend of Korra

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hey fellow escapees!
I've heard nothing but good things from this Legend of Korra show, and I was looking into starting to watch it. I understand it follows on or is somehow related to The Last Airbender show, which I didn't see.
I ask the fans of the show, would I have to know about the lore and characters and what-not before starting to watch LoK, and if so can someone give me a TL;DR version so I can start. Any other suggestions on if and how I can understand the show if I started watch are welcome.
I have a lot of time to try out some new shows lately.
(Season 3 seems so far away...)

I am so sorry for bringing this up D:
It's kinda like playing mass effect 2, if you've seen the first part you'll get a slight giggle and you'll see LoK in a whole new light. If you haven't, well it'll still be awesome but not to the same extent.

The intro of LoK does an okay job of summing everything up so just start watching. Just need to know that the fire nation was trying to take over the world, standard stuff.

Go and watch Avatar now, not because you need to, but because you NEED to. It's made of so much awesome that your avatar can be called "Depressed face" in comparison.

Other than that, I don't think there is any plot continuation between the two shows. There are apparently 1-2 characters from the old show but the time line is advanced quite far ahead.

The universe is this sort of Asian setting where people practice martial arts that allow them to control the 4 basic elements. The avatar is well...the avatar of the world taking human form. He or she is able to master all four elements. The original series took place in a war started by the fire nation that lasted a hundred years because the current avatar was stuck in an iceberg(long story, not necessary). He also happened to be the last airbender(hence the subtitle) because the rest were wiped out by the fire nation. He was discovered by a girl named Katara and her brother Sokka who are from a water tribe in the south. Long story short, they stopped the war and peace was restored. The rest is told by the opening narration of the new series.

That's all you need to know.(Well except maybe Zuko, but his story is too hard to summarize and he's probably not gonna be important enough to know about)

You really don't need to know much about the past show to enjoy LoK.

Because I fucking LOVE LoK and I wasn't exactly a fan of the original.

Not saying it doesn't HELP to know about the past show to get the references and stuff, but it's definitely not necessary by any means. You get an almost completely new set of characters and the plot progression (so far) is very different from the original.

DoPo:
Go and watch Avatar now, not because you need to, but because you NEED to. It's made of so much awesome that your avatar can be called "Depressed face" in comparison.

Other than that, I don't think there is any plot continuation between the two shows. There are apparently 1-2 characters from the old show but the time line is advanced quite far ahead.

I've started watching Avatar since I have a lot of time and I feel it best to get the whole story. I'm 3 episodes in and... thank you thank you thank you. This could be the best show I've seen in a long time.
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to start from the beginning.
Now, if you don't mind they just defeated a fire-nation's boat...

You really should see all the episodes (or mostly the important episodes) of Avatar the Last Airbender to get a kick out of The Legend of Korra. I probably wouldn't be all into LoK if it wasn't for the fact it takes place after the first series which was totally awesome and mind blowing. Hopefully you'll enjoy them both and do take your time.. they're not going anywhere ;)

Avatar taught me more lessons than Mister Rodgers, was funny as hell, had an incredibly coherent story and the action scenes made me ticker go thumpety thump. This show for teens was better than any adult show I've ever seen, and I still watch it all the way through every 6 months or so.

After seeing the first episodes of Legend of Korra, I am SO glad they didn't mess the whole new setting up. Love the slightly more mature setting, the new art style and action style. I want to see more. Now.

You'll REALLY enjoy it more if you've seen the original series. Watch it.

I do not like it.I am sorry but I don't. I love The last airbender but I am having a hard time actualy giving a crap about Korra and the new characters. I will keep an eye on it and as soon as they have an episode where korra meets Aang I will watch it but until then goodbye.

I love it! I think it's great and it's a nice to see a more technological aspect to it. Societal.

Since it seems you're already giving it a go, I won't tell you to watch the first series. But I will say you'll enjoy it. Have fun.

snagli:
Avatar taught me more lessons than Mister Rodgers, was funny as hell, had an incredibly coherent story and the action scenes made me ticker go thumpety thump. This show for teens was better than any adult show I've ever seen, and I still watch it all the way through every 6 months or so.

Agreed. My life philosophy is "How Would Iroh React?"

Gizmo1990:
I do not like it.I am sorry but I don't. I love The last airbender but I am having a hard time actualy giving a crap about Korra and the new characters. I will keep an eye on it and as soon as they have an episode where korra meets Aang I will watch it but until then goodbye.

That's too bad because from what I see, most A:TLA fans love "Korra". And the art is IMHO simply beautiful.

Gizmo1990:

Aang is dead.... He died way before Korra began.

Uber Evil:

Gizmo1990:

He could still talk to her through the spirit world.

Aang did it plenty of times with Roku and the other past avatars.

watch the original first

Popadoo:

DoPo:

I've started watching Avatar since I have a lot of time and I feel it best to get the whole story. I'm 3 episodes in and... thank you thank you thank you. This could be the best show I've seen in a long time.

It gets so much better, especially after season 1. Anyway, sounds like I'm not needed, but yeah, good choice. You don't need to have seen Avatar to understand Korra or anything, it really helps to see how the world changed and how the different characters influenced that, but it's unnecessary. As DoPo said, you need to see it because it's a great show.

Binnsyboy:

snagli:

Agreed. My life philosophy is "How Would Iroh React?"

I fucking love Iroh! He was just such a great character! Plus, it's really hard not to like him, let alone hate him after this episode.

It sucks even more when you realize this part of the episode was actually a tribute to Makoto Iwamatsu, Iroh's voice actor for book 1 and 2, who died of cancer.

uneek:

Gizmo1990:

That's too bad because from what I see, most A:TLA fans love "Korra". And the art is IMHO simply beautiful.

I'm enjoying Korra, but not quite as much as ATLA. It's getting a lot of things right, but there's a few things that irk me. It's been too exposition-heavy so far - the first double episode did a good job of establishing things, but it really needs some filler, or at least something more laid back, some time to let the ensemble coallesce without throwing season-arc plot at you - a reference point, a sense of stability from which to shake things up. Strangely, without that, it feels like not enough happens in the show, because we aren't getting any resolution, and the small resolution we get from largely self-contained episodes helps to provide a metrestick of progress. Hopefully they'll give something largely self-contained in one of the next few episodes, probably something around pro-bending.

But that's criticism of how Korra stands up to Avatar - on its own, Korra is still fantastic, with senses of art, music, style and humour that made Avatar really something, and it's innovating with them to the point where it feels fresh and yet familiar.

Also, with the most recent episode, the Aang flashbacks made me excited.

I'd watch TLA first. Korra does a great job of standing on its own, but it definitely helps to have the background information. Also, TLA is a great show.

Slightly unrelated: episode 4 isn't on iTunes yet. I paid 30 bucks to get all these episodes in HD, and that's how I wanna watch such a beautifully animated show, so it's really annoying that they're this late with it.

Who is it I should send an angry email to?

MPerce:
I'd watch TLA first. Korra does a great job of standing on its own, but it definitely helps to have the background information. Also, TLA is a great show.

Slightly unrelated: episode 4 isn't on iTunes yet. I paid 30 bucks to get all these episodes in HD, and that's how I wanna watch such a beautifully animated show, so it's really annoying that they're this late with it.

Who is it I should send an angry email to?

Nicktoons puts up LoK on their website the day it airs. That's how I've been watching it. But the quality is 'meh.' Speaking of which their is a new episode tomorrow I think.

A Satanic Panda:

Nicktoons puts up LoK on their website the day it airs. That's how I've been watching it. But the quality is 'meh.' Speaking of which their is a new episode tomorrow I think.

Yeah, but....HD!

Ugh, you're probably right. I'll just cut my losses and watch it online right now. They had the third episode on iTunes pretty quick, so hopefully this is a one time thing.

If it's not, I'll be really annoyed I bought that season pass...

Watch Avatar first, by the time your done with that more episodes of LoK will be out, right now its not worth starting on the "5th book in a series" just to watch about an hr and a half of the new one without understanding who Aang is/was.

Smiley Face:

uneek:

Gizmo1990:

I'm enjoying Korra, but not quite as much as ATLA. It's getting a lot of things right, but there's a few things that irk me. It's been too exposition-heavy so far - the first double episode did a good job of establishing things, but it really needs some filler, or at least something more laid back, some time to let the ensemble coallesce without throwing season-arc plot at you - a reference point, a sense of stability from which to shake things up. Strangely, without that, it feels like not enough happens in the show, because we aren't getting any resolution, and the small resolution we get from largely self-contained episodes helps to provide a metrestick of progress. Hopefully they'll give something largely self-contained in one of the next few episodes, probably something around pro-bending.

But that's criticism of how Korra stands up to Avatar - on its own, Korra is still fantastic, with senses of art, music, style and humour that made Avatar really something, and it's innovating with them to the point where it feels fresh and yet familiar.

Also, with the most recent episode, the Aang flashbacks made me excited.

Just to let you know, I think the 2nd half of the first season might actually start to pace better. From what I understand, the show was originally only green lighted for 12 episodes (a half season), but after the immense reaction to the shows announcement they were given the green light to do 24 (full season). What's more, if the show is received well (which so far, it seems to be) they might do another full season... though that's not a guarantee at this point.

I felt the first 12 or so episodes from Avatar were a little to expo heavy, trying to fill us in and get us hooked to the world, but by the 3rd season they had found a nice groove to the pacing. I figure something similar to that will be present here, though experience might mean it starts sooner rather then later.

GREAT series.

You don't NEED to watch A:TLA, but you really SHOULD because it's probably one of the BEST toon since, well...
The mid/late 90s when shows like Justice League, Superman/Batman/Spider-Man/Silver Surfer: TAS were all running with Animai...

And THAT'S how nostalgia was made!

Point is, Avatar:TLA is a FANTASTIC series that I still re-watch, via my lovely set of DVDs, almost once a year...
Even if they're just 'on for noise while I clean house'.

Like other people said, you don't need to watch it, but the continuity timbits are there if you did watch it. Also when you get to it, I got an ongoing thread with decent links to all the episodes. Its been running since they've been released an I'm gonna keep updating it so you guys don't have to look if you don't want.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.356298-The-Legend-of-Korra?page=1

Record Legend of Korra, and go watch The Last Airbender on Netflix.

You'll see lots of the characters Grandchildren in LoK, and you'll appreciate it a lot more. The animation is amazing, and you really start to care for a few of the characters. Zuko's transformation throughout the series is superb.

JoesshittyOs:

You'll see lots of the characters Grandchildren in LoK, and you'll appreciate it a lot more. The animation is amazing, and you really start to care for a few of the characters. Zuko's transformation throughout the series is superb.

Just don't watch the live-action movie.

It's bad, not Dragon Ball: Evolution bad, but it's pretty bad.

Tanis:

JoesshittyOs:

Just don't watch the live-action movie.

It's bad, not Dragon Ball: Evolution bad, but it's pretty bad.

Oh god, Dragon Ball: Evolution was so, so, so bad. Oh god.

OT: Just Googled (that's totally a verb, so just go with it) Legend of Korra and the art style pretty much ensures I'll never check it out. Something... soft and... flat, about it.

I'm enjoying Korra, but not quite as much as ATLA. It's getting a lot of things right, but there's a few things that irk me. It's been too exposition-heavy so far - the first double episode did a good job of establishing things, but it really needs some filler, or at least something more laid back, some time to let the ensemble coallesce without throwing season-arc plot at you - a reference point, a sense of stability from which to shake things up. Strangely, without that, it feels like not enough happens in the show, because we aren't getting any resolution, and the small resolution we get from largely self-contained episodes helps to provide a metrestick of progress

I understand what you're saying. The few episodes premiered do feel like it's mostly exposition and little self-containment. That probably has to do with the fact that this series is probably going to be shorter than TLA.

Hopefully they'll give something largely self-contained in one of the next few episodes, probably something around pro-bending.

From the looks of the preview for the next episode, your probably getting your wish.

But that's criticism of how Korra stands up to Avatar...

Actually, to me the criticisms sounded like they were for LoK on it's own. One could have these problems with any show.

My roommate introduced me to Avatar over this past semester.
My reaction after the first season: "Yeah, this is pretty good for a kids show."
My reaction after finishing the series: "WOOO THAT WAS AWESOME TEAM AVATAR FOREVER!"

So, yeah, I'm a convert. Legend of Korra is awesome so far, just as good as the first series.

Popadoo:

DoPo:

Three episodes in and you say that? Good on you! I kinda hated the first two episodes, but it REALLY picks up after that. Season two is probably my favorite for one reason: the Toph. Good lord, the Toph. Like everyone's saying though, just watch Last Airbender first, because it's seriously one of the greatest cartoon series ever made. It's just... so damn good.

Gizmo1990:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's simply impossible. Aang is long dead. Korra is the new Avatar, she was born the instant Aang died and she became the new Avatar.

sir.rutthed:

Gizmo1990:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's simply impossible. Aang is long dead. Korra is the new Avatar, she was born the instant Aang died and she became the new Avatar.

i believe theres going to be a spirit version of Aang that speaks to Korra, Like how Aang spoke to the previous avatar (who's name escapes me >_<)

Edit: Roku, thats the one :P

OP:
While I don't think you need to watch the first series to pick up on whats happening in LoK, I'd still reccomed watching it as It's a good show, and you'll be able to pick up on in jokes and such ^_^

Uber Evil:

Gizmo1990:

sir.rutthed:

Gizmo1990:

Yes Aang is dead but he spoke to many of the past Avatars during TLA. So it is likly that at some point Korra will talk to Aang.

uneek:

I'm enjoying Korra, but not quite as much as ATLA. It's getting a lot of things right, but there's a few things that irk me. It's been too exposition-heavy so far - the first double episode did a good job of establishing things, but it really needs some filler, or at least something more laid back, some time to let the ensemble coallesce without throwing season-arc plot at you - a reference point, a sense of stability from which to shake things up. Strangely, without that, it feels like not enough happens in the show, because we aren't getting any resolution, and the small resolution we get from largely self-contained episodes helps to provide a metrestick of progress

I understand what you're saying. The few episodes premiered do feel like it's mostly exposition and little self-containment. That probably has to do with the fact that this series is probably going to be shorter than TLA.

Hopefully they'll give something largely self-contained in one of the next few episodes, probably something around pro-bending.

From the looks of the preview for the next episode, your probably getting your wish.

But that's criticism of how Korra stands up to Avatar...

Actually, to me the criticisms sounded like they were for LoK on it's own. One could have these problems with any show.

He's making the point that Avatar had a lot of little filler tales and brief subplots. And they were beautifully done, because unlike with actual Japanese anime, it wasn't based off some manga, and had people throwing in filler because they'd outpaced the books. This was the creators and original writers coming up with these little stories for the characters we love.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked