What are your tagged skills in real life?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I think it's safe to say that most people reading this have played an RPG in some form. And in all games of a role-playing nature, one of the most fundamental steps in creating a character is deciding which of the available skills you wish your character to be proficient in above all others, whether it be Archery in Skyrim, Guns in Fallout, or Lockpicking in Deus Ex.

The question is, if real life worked on similar mechanics, what skills do you think you would have tagged right now?

I've come up with a preliminary list of skills to choose from based on abilities that people may have in real life. Choose 3, and should you feel that you are best suited for one not listed here, feel free to say what it is.

Science/Medicine: You possess skills in the natural sciences, such Biology, Geology, Chemistry, and Physics, and use it to both better understand the world around you, and to try and improve it. Scientists and doctors will have a need for this skill.

Mathematics: Numbers come naturally to you, with anything from basic addition to complex calculus appearing simple and easy. People with careers in architecture, accounting, or computer science will find that this is a necessary skill.

Athletics: You are in peak physical condition, with a mastery of sports and physical activities, and are thus faster and stronger than most.

Art: You are a skillful artist, whether in painting, music, sculpture, or any other branch of the creative spectrum.

Speech: You have a talent with words, able to both persuade and manipulate well. This skill matches well with businessmen, politicians, lawyers, actors, and other professions that require the ability to speak well.

Comprehension: Reading, writing, and logic are fields you are talented in, excelling in subjects such as History, English, and Psychology.

Crafting: Similar to Art, this skill involves creation, but in a more practical sense. You are skilled at working with you hands, able to build and improve on things that serve a specific purpose. This skill is useful to mechanics, carpenters, and those who work in construction.

Weapons: You have a fondness for more deadly abilities, and are proficient in handling, using, and maintaining firearms, blades, and other weapons. People involved in the military will almost certainly possess this skill.

Survival: You are an outdoorsman by nature, and have spent time learning how best to forage, hunt, and survive without modern comforts. Campers, backpackers, and hunters possess this skill.

Language: You skills lie not with your native language, but those of others, able to understand and speak a variety of foreign dialects.

Because I'm looking to study Law and Politics, I think that Speech, Comprehension, and Science are the skills I would have selected right now.

Athletics, weapons and survival.

Ex army so i'm physically fit, I know weapons and how to use them (that's how I stayed so pretty and, well, alive) and I have survived my step daughters cooking (she's 19, she wanted practice for when she lives in student halls next year so me and the missus were her test subjects for her cooking ..... I could have beaten someone to death with the lump of coal that used to be a fish she put infront of me).

I was going to make a similar thread to this one but with the S.P.E.C.I.A.L attributes. I'd say my tag skills were Crafting, Comprehension, possibly science.

Captcha: virtue of necessity(sounds awesome)

Art.

I'm a pretty decent cartoonist, check my avatar.

We have to choose 3? Because I feel that's a bit too much for me. But whatever, if that's the case it would be Sciences, Comprehension and Mathematics.

Computer Science student here, that should describe me. Keyword "should".

If there were secondary skills, I might have Crafting. Been doing renovation work at home several times, and I've worked at a construction site for a bit one summer.

Science, Mathematics (which is technically a science)and Comprehension. So, pretty much a supporting role at best in any given RPG, and most probably an NPC.

I can just see it, a Band Of Adventurers rock up wanting a map through the lava fields of [fantasy name]. I agree, but first need them to take readings for me at 10 points, so that I can properly model the heat flow.

Science, comprehension and weapons. Chemistry is the science.

I'd say comprehension would be my only skill I excel at, with everything else being either average or slightly under average.

So I'd be the guy to solve all the mindbending puzzles in the temple of overcomplicated door locks, or researching knowledge on how to find and travel to the long-lost castle of Wereallyshouldn'thaveforgottenthisimportantplace.

And then when I served my purpose I'd be cycled out of the main party for the remainder of the game, staying at the party homebase, occasionally getting talked to when the protagonist needs to know more about a certain historical event or person. But otherwise I'd just stand by a bookshelf looking at a map saying, "We're so close, I just need more information."

Small Guns, Sneak and...oh...you made up skills for this...

Well, if I have to choose three, then I guess I'm out of luck. None of those would apply to me.

DoPo:
We have to choose 3? Because I feel that's a bit too much for me. But whatever, if that's the case it would be Sciences, Comprehension and Mathematics.

Computer Science student here, that should describe me. Keyword "should".

If there were secondary skills, I might have Crafting. Been doing renovation work at home several times, and I've worked at a construction site for a bit one summer.

ClockworkPenguin:
Science, Mathematics (which is technically a science)and Comprehension. So, pretty much a supporting role at best in any given RPG, and most probably an NPC.

I can just see it, a Band Of Adventurers rock up wanting a map through the lava fields of [fantasy name]. I agree, but first need them to take readings for me at 10 points, so that I can properly model the heat flow.

Well I've been ninja'd by two people already.

Not only that, but one is a computer science student while I'm a computer engineering student -__-

Mathematics
Speech
Comprehension

So I wouldn't be of much use in a fight. But if you plan to talk your way out of one then I guess I'm your guy.

Art, and I'm going to have to add a couple to the main list:

Dexterity- I'm not the strongest person around but I'm nimble. Also very good with my hands.

Intuition- I'm reasonably quick to analyse scenarios and am quick to learn new tools.

This probably puts me somewhere around the ranger spectrum of character classes, right?

Art, Speech, Language.

I'm a Lit geek who may very well make a living out of talking about Lit Geek stuff for days on end.

Speech, Comprehension and maybe Weapons, at a stretch. Also,

Starik20X6:
Art, and I'm going to have to add a couple to the main list:

Dexterity- I'm not the strongest person around but I'm nimble. Also very good with my hands.

Intuition- I'm reasonably quick to analyse scenarios and am quick to learn new tools.

This probably puts me somewhere around the ranger spectrum of character classes, right?

^ what he said. I have those two down too.

I'd guess that I'm athletics, speech, and comprehension.

Athletics: While I'm not at peak physical condition (though I am working my ass off on that), I've always loved sports, been involved with them, and am surprisingly athletic for a guy my size. I'm also naturally strong. This is definitely the least of the three though, at this point in time.

Speech: My friends, one in particular, say that I am great at worming my way inside somebody's head and manipulating them.

Comprehension: I'm currently in college, majoring in English Education. I guess that kind of speaks for itself on this skill.

Comprehension and Speech, for sure - I don't really think of them that much, because most people I know fit fairly well into those categories, but I've always been particularly good there. For my third one, I'm going to go off-book and pick Sneak - despite the fact that I'm 6'2", I've always blended in and slipped under the radar, and when I actually have reason to try, I'm fairly good at it. I also enjoy sneaking around - in RPGs, if stealth is an option, I'm taking it.

All the above, though... perhaps that comes from being so damn high level? Ahh youth... wasted on the young... I guess in that I wouldn't be a playable character in a game... more like a hidden boss you would have to cheat or gimmick to beat... yeah... that sounds about right.

Athletics and Comprehension.

As for a third, if I was feeling very generous for myself I'd say weapons, because I've gone out shooting a few times.

Studying Medical science and did Drama as a major before this.

So Speech, Science, and If I had to pick one more, Comprehension.

Mortai Gravesend:
Not only that, but one is a computer science student while I'm a computer engineering student -__-

Technically, I'm doing software engineering. Compsci is just easier to refer to. Still half overlapping the name...only the other half now.

Art, Speech and Comprehension.

Goodness, now I'm wondering how they'd come in handy if the zombie apocalypse were to actually happen...

Captcha: "The Fully Monty" That's reassuring, thanks. :)

Art, speech, comprehension.

I'm a musician and writer, for starters. Comprehension and logic tends to come naturally to me.

Though I am dyslexic, and actually READING the material and take me time. >.<

Comprehension
Crafting - Mechanical Engineer by trade.
Weapons - Insomuch as I do Archery

Crafting, Weapons, and Survival

For crafting I am a certified gunsmith, I have been trained in wilderness survival which gives me a lot of experience in making something from nothing, and I also have experience in woodwork, metalwork, chemistry, engineering, etc.

For weapons I have used more projectile implements than I can count and as part of my major I got to work a little with some experts in medieval and Roman combat techniques (I also got to see a very interesting demo of Indian weapons). I am also experienced in hand-to-hand combat.

For survival I have been trained by an ungodly number of people in survival, escape and evasion, first aid, etc.

My alternates would be Athletics, Comprehension, and Language.

Art, Weapons, and Survival. I'm strong, but I'm not naturally good at sports; I'll just lump martial arts into weapons, as in, my body.

Id be Speech, Comprehension and Art probly, Im a law student who has a psychology degree (tho did better in comp sci tho ill put that down to the art) and a musician

Science, Speech and Survival. I can eat pretty much everything, am good at talking and know how to make things not explode when I'm in a laboratory, so... seems kinda accurate. Though for non-fallout tags I'd put 'Creation' in place of Science - I'm better at making things (models, art, writing, etc.) then Sciencing things, so that would be a better fit.

comprehension, mathematics and art anyone see where that leads? =)

Crafting, oh so much crafting. I would probably be able to engineer a (very Basic) robot of some type if I wanted too. But alas I have been low on supplies all my life. I either have no money to buy supplies with or no time to do any actual building... and considering the ideas that go through my head it is probably for the best.

However come apocalypse time I will be the guy in power armor, suplexing demons.

Medicine, Speech and Comprehension/Psychology. (Perk Extra tag skill: Crafting)

I have a low Con stat so I'm cronically broken, which has lead me into alot of medical know-how.
Despite my sickly apearance I have a way with words to sway others and their thoughts. (spoken so don't judge my writing)
Finding this interesting i am trying to study psych and it has opened up a few more diolog options so far.

P.S My comprehension is also just being able to comprehend.

Science/Medicine, Art and Comprehension. I'd make a rubbish RPG character.

Can I only choose two? Because only Art and Comprehension really fit me... although, the empty slot could easily be filled with a doubling up of comprehension, if that be allowed.

edit

Crafting and survival. Stay alive, keep those you love alive, if some one wan you dead who fucking cares you live in the woods they will never find you and if the look for you they will likely be stabbed in their sleep or poisoned their death attributed to a local tribe of bandits that would rather they have the credit than I would.

Science, math, and comprehension, with a skill deficit to language, speech, and art.

P.S. Technically, mathematics forms the basis of nearly all forms of science, putting them in separate categories doesn't make much sense. A better divide might be between the "hard" and "soft" categories of science. The former being chemistry, biology, physics, and other types based on math and other purely objective facts, and the latter including fields like psychology and archaeology where perspective and conjecture take center stage. (not that there's anything wrong with the "soft" sciences, its just a different mode of thought.)

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked