Give me ideas for a complete mind F*** of a film

So for my Film and Television class we have to create a 5 - 8 minute film on anything we want, I want to create a complete psychological mind f***, creepy, disturbing, morbid. I've been watching things like "Salad Fingers" and reading things like "The Russian Sleep experiment" for inspiration. But i want some more ideas.

So Escapist, throw me some good ideas that involve things that will confuse and creep the hell out of my class. talking to inanimate objects, hallucinations, things that will just be creepy as hell.

You want Funky Forest. It's not really morbid, but it's definitely a creepy and disturbing mindfuck.

ive watched a lot of anime, i suggest watching Cat Soup

its not disturbing. its just Balls to the walls weird.

I watched about half of the Human Centipede 2 a few weeks back at a buddy's place. Don't think I've ever seen a movie as f***ed up as that one.

Shutter Island was a slight mindfuck, The Awakening has some mind fuckery a triple twist man. I can't really think of any really fucked up films.

Eraserhead. Or any other David Lynch film. That is all.

For a good film which links multiple realities together, try The Fountain by Darren Aronofsky, if you want something that sees hallucinations, watch the Bad Lieutenant (Nic Cage version)

H.P. Lovecraft stories
Dalghren by Samuel R. Delaney
fucking anything by William S Burroughs
Vurt by Jeff Noon, and discovered cyberspace by sucking on a narcotic feather

Hell, just look one the examples page on wikipedia for postmodern Literature
Most stuff by J.G. Ballard
anything by Chuck Palahniuk
any personal works writeen by Grant Morrison

Oh, and Stalker, the old Russian flick could work too.

have you seen david firth's (creator of salad fingers) other work?...yea WAY more fucked than salad fingers

put it on a loop
call it a day

American Psycho.

Can't go wrong with David Lynch.

Nigh Invulnerable:
Eraserhead. Or any other David Lynch film. That is all.

I 2nd this, and add David Cronenberg. Specifically, Naked Lunch and Videodrome. Great movies, but complete mindscrews. Also, I would add Phantasm, Memento, and Paprika too. They are all great films as well.

EDIT: Additionally, just thought of these: The Machinist, Repulsion, The Tenant, Suspiria, and In The Mouth of Madness. The Shining also has some good bits you might want to check out.

Obvious answer here, but Twilight zone was great for having great stories without needing great special effects all the time.

I remember one, don't know if it was a newer or older one about a guy who dies but then wakes up in a place he doesn't recognize, and he gets chased down and killed, but he wakes up again. This repeats itself a few times, and he is trying to figure out whats going on, he can remember what happened and that he can feel pain, but doesn't know why or how this is happening to him. Then it zooms out to two guys standing over him in a prison. He is strapped down with some device on his head saying that he was in for over 100 life sentences, so the device would continually kill him in progressively gruesome ways until he paid his entire sentence before execution.

It was a long time ago, I could have missed some details.

May be tame for what your looking for, but you know... its the twilight zone, what more needs to be said?

Just a few clips from weird films

Also check out some writing by William S. Burroughs and some Bizarro fiction.

If you want to get really weird just take whatever you've got use the cut-uop technique on it and just present that, add in some dadaist stuff if you really want to fuck with people.

Here.

...just watch the first minute.

Watch Charlie by The Secret Lemon Project... If that doesn't give you inspiration then you need something truly disturbing........ Like Hentai...

2001: A Space Odyssey mind fucked a few people, try that. Since I read the book I understood it but if I hadn't it would have been a complete cluster-what-the-fuck.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/416052

This may not be the most well-animated piece in existence, but as far as mindfuckery goes, I highly recommend it.

Lilani:
You want Funky Forest. It's not really morbid, but it's definitely a creepy and disturbing mindfuck.

I think this is appropriate!

And as someone's already pointed out, David Lynch is a good place to start. Cronenberg too.

EDIT: Oh and take a look at some of Chris Cunninghams music videos. Aphex Twin is his most famous client, but he's done a hell of a lot more.

The End of Evangelion

Well I've always thought it would be awesome if somebody did a very serious drama worthy of an academy award, everything would be quite typical of the genre except for one solitary scene.

A guy is driving in a car with a woman, they just drive for a minute with no conversation at all. Suddenly the guy opens up his short and starts making airplane noises, while he does this his nipples start rapidly expanding in length, they grow so long and they make their way to the woman where they wrap around her neck. She struggles for a while before finally passing out and dying. The nipples retract and the man starts crying.

I would suggest watching this video.

It's easy to make something weird and disturbing, but the way to make it effective is to pull the rug out from under he audience.

Oh and mods, if this is too graphical, my apologies.

TerribleAssassin:
American Psycho.

American Psycho isnt much of a mindfuck. Its a pretty obvious film. (Which is why its so surprising so many people miss the point entirely.)

Try watching A Serbian Film for some ideas. It's a horror film that's genuinely horrific, no jump scares and such. Probably the most disturbing film I've ever had the peculiar displeasure of watching. Trailer for you, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qrTLTKsjI8. Although it doesn't really do the film justice.

Casual Shinji:
I would suggest watching this video.

(video snipped)

It's easy to make something weird and disturbing, but the way to make it effective is to pull the rug out from under he audience.

Oh and mods, if this is too graphical, my apologies.

Dude. What.

OT: Whatever you do, this should be the only thing playing in the background:

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked