How do you prefer to finish off opponents in fighting games?
Overkill
68.3% (56)
68.3% (56)
Cherry Tapping
30.5% (25)
30.5% (25)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Fighting games: Overkill or Cherry Tapping?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So how do you prefer to finish off a downed opponent in the fighting game of your choice? An amout of power disproportionately higher than necessary, or proving that you don't need said disproportionate power by bitch-slapping him into oblivion?

Also, for the uninformed: The term "Cherry Tapping" comes from one of the Street Fighter games (I forget which one). Whenever you defeated an opponent with a light attack, it posted a picture of a cherry next to your score. Or something. I'unno, this is just offa the top of my head, and I'm no SF master in any sense of the term. But you get the idea, right?

When the opponent is down I see it as a rare opportunity to use the strongest attack in my arsenal, the one that usually takes several minutes of "casting" but does a butt load of damage

Which I generally never ever get to use because of this ridiculous casting time :c

When it's not with a special move I tend to go with the light punch, but I'm not really too into fighting games, that aren't The Last Blade 2 or Garou MotW, I just love those 2 for some reason, even though I suck at them, *sigh* I do wish I had them but I don't have Neo Geo and well those things are expensive.

And I can't find my Neo Geo Pocket, so no chibi Last Blade for me, sorry chibi Amano.

If I can go into my characters level 3 super (or equivalent) to finish the guy I will. You don't even need to try with level 3 X-Factor Phoenix Wright in UMVC3.

*enemy presses a button*

"The one who actually commited the crime... IS YOU! *instakills a full health character* 1.2 million damage good sir!

Oh and cherry tapping with PW is funny, *touches guy with a piece of paper* K.O!

I usually do something silly, like kicking them in the shin, because I think it is more annoying and insulting for the other person :)

I tend to go for both.

Using UMvC3 terms here, if I can finish off my opponent with a level-3 hyper combo than damn right I'm gonna try and pull it off! But sometimes they may be at bare-minimum health and their X-Factor is used up so provided he's still there I'll try and finish them off with a Deadpool Taunt-kill.

Oh man, I love overkilling an opponent.

If I can land Vergil's level 3 hyper combo on someone with a slither of health, it's awesome.

Overkill. Even if it costs me the match, I always try for the big finish. After all, what better way to end then with the greatest attack ever?

I don't play many fighting games, but this same kind of question works for Magic: The Gathering, too. In which case, overkill. I always swing with everything to finish my opponent off, because they might have an Instant (or creature with Split-Second) to protect them if I only swing with a few.

Overkill, ofcourse. You want to destroy your oppenents in ALL the different universes, not just this one.

The Night Angel:
I usually do something silly, like kicking them in the shin, because I think it is more annoying and insulting for the other person :)

Me too! *highfive*

We're petty people, lol.

RustlessPotato:
Overkill, ofcourse. You want to destroy your oppenents in ALL the different universes, not just this one.

Nothing makes someone's great grandchildren feel like they've been kicked in the celestial genital triangle like a super unnecessary power attack on a downed opponent, lol.

Kaleion:
When it's not with a special move I tend to go with the light punch, but I'm not really too into fighting games, that aren't The Last Blade 2 or Garou MotW, I just love those 2 for some reason, even though I suck at them, *sigh* I do wish I had them but I don't have Neo Geo and well those things are expensive.

And I can't find my Neo Geo Pocket, so no chibi Last Blade for me, sorry chibi Amano.

You could get the Dreamcast versions? Although if you're an SNK snob you're probably scoffing at me for suggesting buying an SNK game for another system.

Anyway, I can't vote either as I usually don't have a choice. Only thing on my mind is to beat the opponents any way possible.

Grey Day for Elcia:

The Night Angel:

Me too! *highfive*

We're petty people, lol.

RustlessPotato:

Nothing makes someone's great grandchildren feel like they've been kicked in the celestial genital triangle like a super unnecessary power attack on a downed opponent, lol.

Haha, indeed ^^. Sometimes when i'm playing the new mortal kombat at my friends house and I win, i don't do anything during the "finish him" moment. I just wait and drink my beer while he has to endure every second of his loss !

Overkill . Always overkill. Unless i'm going up against a new player , then i tone it down a bit . But if we are on the same level or higher then , i will show no mercy .

In UMVC3 sometimes if i'm sure to win , i'll use x-factor just because i can .

I think I'm fifty-fifty here - I either do overkills or cherry tap. I think it's more satisfying to cherrytap, though. Especially in Mortal Kombat with Subzero - I just freeze the opponent, which doesn't cause any damage but counts as a hit (at least it used to, I haven't played and won enough of the new ones after 4).

What's that? You've got one pixel of health left and will be KO'd from chip damage? Better do a Metsu Hadoken then! :P

Typically overkill....unless I think I can get away with chipping someone to death.

Overkill. If it can win me the match, I'll take it, "ethics" be damned.

Overkill, definitely.

Especially in games like King of Fighters where the bosses are mercilessly bombarding with combo after combo.

Terramax:

Kaleion:

You could get the Dreamcast versions? Although if you're an SNK snob you're probably scoffing at me for suggesting buying an SNK game for another system.

Anyway, I can't vote either as I usually don't have a choice. Only thing on my mind is to beat the opponents any way possible.

Actually I was thinking of getting that, I looked up the prices after posting that, and Dreamcast is definitely the cheapest, not to mention that the Dreamcast version of Last Blade 2 has 1 extra character, anyway the most expensive part will be buying an arcade stick, but I'm thinking of getting this one and just getting the adapters so I don't have to get another one ever.

I tend to do whatever I can. I'm a pragmatist and don't want to risk a turnaround by doing something stupid or cocky.

It's not overkill if it's Third Strike.

I just do whatever seems the most certain way to win.

Bitch slap them into oblivion, overkill is too quick. I like to make it as humiliating as possible because I'm awful at fighting games.

Whatever the random chaotic button presses unleash, that's the finisher.

There no kill like overkill. That's my motto when it comes to fighting games.

I always have the urge to finish a match as flashy as possible. Why? Why the hell not.

ULTRA COMBO FINISH!

If someone has a little bit of health left in UMvC3, you can bet your ass I'm going for a lvl 3 hyper combo after a Doom corner loop just for the hell of it. X-Factor included.

Landing Distortion Finishes and Astral Finishes with Tager in BlazBlue is fun too. Usually massive overkill.

Kaleion:

Actually I was thinking of getting that, I looked up the prices after posting that, and Dreamcast is definitely the cheapest, not to mention that the Dreamcast version of Last Blade 2 has 1 extra character, anyway the most expensive part will be buying an arcade stick, but I'm thinking of getting this one and just getting the adapters so I don't have to get another one ever.

I've owned both Garou and Last Blade 2 for the dreamcast, but it was the Japanese version (Dreamcast is the best console for import games, and easy to play imports for) so it's well advised. I've never played the Neo Geo versions to compare. I do know the soundtrack to Garou has been updated for the DC version. I don't know if they play any better though. I'm sure SNK purists will have something to moan about though.

Also, I've owned that exact X-Arcade stick. It's pretty darn good quality. Word of advice however. If you only plan to play by yourself, I recommend the single player arcade stick instead. The two player tank one has the buttons for players 1 and 2 too close together, so when I played with friends, we were constantly fighting for space when playing it sat down.

These days I play my dreamcast games with the official dreamcast sticks. We have all the space in the world. The official DC stick is the best quality arcade stick I've ever owned (and I've owned a couple for various consoles). Top quality. But the X arcade is good quality too. I used that to play Xbox and PS2 games as well. But the adaptors will cost you a pretty penny, so you may not be saving as much as you think.

Depends, I guess I would use cherry tapping as a way to show that I don't take a person very seriously and use overkill when they gave me a hard time.

Though I like my overkills, it's hilarious to finish someone off with a very low damage attack. It's as if you were just beginning the match, and kill them with one hit.

Terramax:
-Snip-

Oh, thanks for the advice that actually is a lot cheaper, and I don't really have the space for the X-Arcade right now so I probably should get that, now well I guess I'll get those, I really have no idea why I don't have DreamCast already since it has so many games that I like, but it shall be corrected by next week! Since those things are actually pretty cheap, even boxed and unopened which is a nice surprise.

ace_of_something:
I tend to do whatever I can. I'm a pragmatist and don't want to risk a turnaround by doing something stupid or cocky.

Pretty much this. Very rarely will I go out of the way to be all flashy and end my opponent in some overkill manner. There have been too many close calls in matches where "second wind syndrome" kicks in and my opponent puts on their serious hat and almost retakes the match because I try to do some cool finisher.

Though when it comes to noobs, I'll take the gamble and hit them with something crazy for cheap kicks. Many Blazblue matches where I pretty much backed my opponent into a corner with Hakumens Astral. They either have no choice but to spam projectiles (and in that case I use Yukikaze), or try and fool me...because otherwise my super counter has them beat lol.

Kaleion:

Terramax:
-Snip-

Oh, thanks for the advice that actually is a lot cheaper, and I don't really have the space for the X-Arcade right now so I probably should get that, now well I guess I'll get those, I really have no idea why I don't have DreamCast already since it has so many games that I like, but it shall be corrected by next week! Since those things are actually pretty cheap, even boxed and unopened which is a nice surprise.

That's cool to hear. It's fairly cheap getting a DC in the UK but they don't appear often where I live (in the countryside). Indeed, IMO, te Dreamcast is the greatest console for fighting games (although some say the Saturn beats it for 2D fighters).

Hazy992:
What's that? You've got one pixel of health left and will be KO'd from chip damage? Better do a Metsu Hadoken then! :P

only the Mestsu Hadoken?

my friend, allow me to introducing you to Justice, and Her Gamma Cannon

2/3's total damage on a full life bar, and chip damage is a BITCH :D welcome to 'almost enough dakka'

I'd like to overkill, but I'm kind of terrible, so I usually end up with the one random punch that ends it. I really miss in Marvel vs Capcom 1 when you would kill people with a super and the game would flash whatever move you used to win on the screen, like if you pile drive someone with Cap and the game would be like FINAL JUSTICE. I understand there were 56 people in MvC2 and thus over 100 supers, but that is a detail that needs to come back posthaste. It makes wins even more satisfying

Terramax:
That's cool to hear. It's fairly cheap getting a DC in the UK but they don't appear often where I live (in the countryside). Indeed, IMO, te Dreamcast is the greatest console for fighting games (although some say the Saturn beats it for 2D fighters).

I guess but it has a lot of other cool games that I want to play like Shenmue, D2, Soul Reaver and though I already have it for PC Shadowman, because the controls on PC aren't that good and I have a feeling it will play a lot better on the DC, oh and Phantasy Star Online, but I probably should buy the Plus version for the GC, even though it's REALLY expensive it has most of the missions that were downloadable and can be played on split-screen with up to 4 players... OK, I got a little too exited with this, I probably should stop looking for these games online before I decide to buy them instead of food, but they look so awesome, I want to play them : (
At least Episode 3 is like 5 bucks, I can get that, but I probably won't play it until I've played the first ones...
Now I'm looking up Saturn games D, Enemy Zero, OMG DnD Collection I loved those Arcade games I so want them!! Shit they are expensive, uh I really should stop now...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked