So, I think I have trojan viruses

I have trojan viruses, and no money to spare to buy software (plus, how do I know what I'm downloading isn't another scam?)

What should I do, escapists?

Edit: another point: I have AVG free, but it doesn't seem to be able to do anything about a lot of them. It just says the file can't be accessed.

Edit: I think it's fine now. My computer is running more smoothly, and my scanner's not giving me anymore alerts, since I used Superantispyware.

For pure ease just copy essential documents to a memory stick, wipe the PC and reinstall windows.

Have you tried using a malware removal program? I think that should work it might not.

Just download SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes, run them as admin and scan your PC.

ToTaL LoLiGe:
Have you tried using a malware removal program? I think that should work it might not.

Well that's just it, all the free ones I see really look like more trojans. Either that, or they claim to be free, tell me I have viruses, then cough and hold out their hand for money in order to do the task of actually getting rid of the fuckers.

Binnsyboy:

ToTaL LoLiGe:

Well that's just it, all the free ones I see really look like more trojans. Either that, or they claim to be free, tell me I have viruses, then cough and hold out their hand for money in order to do the task of actually getting rid of the fuckers.

Malwarebyets is a free malware removal program, you could also try IOBit Malware fighter.

Binnsyboy:

ToTaL LoLiGe:

As ToTaL LoLiGe said - Malwarebytes. That and "Spyware Search and Destroy" but seriously Malwarebytes is fucking amazing, I doubt you'd need something else if that doesn't work. Also change your antivirus. Go for the Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast! or Avira AntiVir (presumably in that order). But after you've removed the malware.

Hazy992:
Just download SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes, run them as admin and scan your PC.

Do I need both of them? I used the first one, and now I'm running AVG to test if it's worked.

Binnsyboy:

Hazy992:

Do I need both of them? I used the first one, and now I'm running AVG to test if it's worked.

It's not necessary but sometimes it's better to have more than one just in case one misses anything.

BTW, Stinger works amazingly well in my experience. It's standalone scanner that looks for some of the more rampant trojans and infections. Remember when scanning, to run the scan in Safe Mode (just cause).

Binnsyboy:

Hazy992:

Use malewarebytes as well, just to be sure. There's no reason not too, and it's best to be sure.

If I get a really persistent one I usually just dig them out of the temp files by hand, basically find exactly when the programme entered your system, and run through all the temp folders deleting everything that appeared around the same time, that usually clears it out, but it's best to let the professional programmes do their jobs.

try MSE if you have a legit version of windows it,s free or buy a virus scan.

MalwareBytes to find out what and where it is.
HiJackThis to kill anything running, and hopefully kill it at the source.
Norton Power Eraser to get rid of it when you've pinpointed it, if HJT failed.

It's generally easiest though to find out what exactly you have and then google the specific remedy.

Windows Security Essentials, yo. It's surprisingly good.

An alternative would be AVG.

Matthew94:
For pure ease just copy essential documents to a memory stick, wipe the PC and reinstall windows.

OP, if you're really this unaware of antivirus software, this really might be a wise choice to do before gearing up your rig with said protection. Its prolly been exposed to a lot of things out there...
You don't have to, but if you want your computer to have that "just out of the dryer" freshness and don't mind starting with a clean slate, its not a bad idea.

That being said, I personally like the feeling of a freshly installed OS and if you're in doubt, it would solve any other software issues you're having.

Wanna fill us in on the issues you're having with your computer that have driven you to look for antivirus software? Or is it just your being proactive?

Blargh McBlargh:
Windows Security Essentials, yo. It's surprisingly good.

An alternative would be AVG.

WSE is decent and its complementary with most windows OS licenses. (All OSs after XP I think..?)

Still, OP, I'd strongly advise running multiple antivirus programs.

Binnsyboy:
I have trojan viruses, and no money to spare to buy software (plus, how do I know what I'm downloading isn't another scam?)

What should I do, escapists?

Edit: another point: I have AVG free, but it doesn't seem to be able to do anything about a lot of them. It just says the file can't be accessed.

Hazy992:

this^

and run blacklight

http://www.f-secure.com/en/web/labs_global/removal/blacklight

if you have important files, do a backup of them not a backup of the whole system.

and if you cant get them (trojans, not files) out of your system it would be easier to format your hard drive and re-install your os

or you could post a HijackThis or otl log on this forums:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/trojan-hijack-got-em-all-41608.html
they are really good.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/398-otl-oldtimers-list-it/

free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

Hazy992:

Binnsyboy:

Hazy992:

It's not necessary but sometimes it's better to have more than one just in case one misses anything.

that, and if you run one it should pick up the other as a false positive, that way you know it is actually scanning.

OT: Using SuperAntiSpyware on this computer, works amazing, on my old one however is the reason it is currently being repaired.

I had both Avast! and Avira installed, but neither would actually remove the spyware, and then both just stopped.

just fucking stopped.

No longer even started when I clicked on their .exe's, reinstalling did jack shit, so I tried AVG, which did fuck all aswell.

but you know what? atleast it wasn't Norton or fucking McAfee.

McAfee in particular, fuck that program, its like a virus itself.

I have MB on my computer, but for some reason I keep getting a bug where anything I type into a search engine redirects me to an unrelated bullshit website or a fake search engine. I have no idea how I keep getting it. Today I keep hearing commercials playing in my speakers even though there's no page open.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked