The Wrong Favorite?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

My personal favorite movie is Ed Wood by Tim Burton. It has humor, itīs sad, it tells a good story and the characters very good developed.

I am quite a fan of 2005's Jarhead, I think that it is an immensely interesting and harrowing view inside a Marine's life.

Is it strange that however much i think about it, i can't come up with one movie that i cherish over all the others. Same with music and video games.
Really i don't know if i should be envious or proud.

I have to say I do find it a peculiar favourite to have but its not like I can say "You're wrong, that isn't your favourite!" I did find it hilarious when I watched it and its up there among my favourite comedies but maybe its just comedies that people dont usually select as favourites? Its harder to watch them again and again and again - jokes get older faster than incredibly interesting plots & characters - which is maybe why people would usually go for something with more... drama in it?

You gotta admit, with a comedy you're very limited to how much you can develop you're characters and it can't take itself so seriously that it dampens the mood of the film - thus, taking out a lot of potential drama (which is nice sometimes too of course).

Wow, you have me thinking about this a lot now. I'll just say my favourite film is Slumdog Millionaire - the story is simply amazing to me.

Gabanuka:
The Princess Bride... DON'T JUDGE ME!

I can see perfectly why it would be seen as a favourite film =) Ive only seen it once but I really liked it!

Auron225:
I have to say I do find it a peculiar favourite to have but its not like I can say "You're wrong, that isn't your favourite!" I did find it hilarious when I watched it and its up there among my favourite comedies but maybe its just comedies that people dont usually select as favourites? Its harder to watch them again and again and again - jokes get older faster than incredibly interesting plots & characters - which is maybe why people would usually go for something with more... drama in it?

You gotta admit, with a comedy you're very limited to how much you can develop you're characters and it can't take itself so seriously that it dampens the mood of the film - thus, taking out a lot of potential drama (which is nice sometimes too of course).

Wow, you have me thinking about this a lot now. I'll just say my favourite film is Slumdog Millionaire - the story is simply amazing to me.

Slumdog millionaire was critically praised, wasn't it?

Karutomaru:
And yet, everyone else sees it as "pretty good", "okay", and "meh" territory. Are my standards just too low, do I have bad taste, or does this movie just fall directly into my niche like a puzzle piece?

If you're interests in films are a Tetris Puzzle, Get Smart is the one piece that takes out 4 rows worth of tiles.

I know how you mean though, people expect a favorite movie to be one of the classics but everyone has different tastes. Like with the Batman movies, I hated Begins and consider Returns my favorite not-animated one even though most people consider the Nolan Batman movies the best. As for Marvel movies (at least until Avengers is out) my favorite has been Punisher War-Zone since that one was released even though Spider-Man and 2 were considered the best (although Thor and Captain America are gaining more and, more love).

Everyone has different tastes. You can't deny the greatness of one of cinema's masterpieces but you have to be true to your own personal interests.

Karutomaru:

Auron225:

Slumdog millionaire was critically praised, wasn't it?

Ayup - it got a bunch of Oscars I think! I usually don't really pay attention to stuff like that though.

Ghost in the Darkness for both of us, and I love The Princess Bride too of course.

Shoggoth2588:

Karutomaru:
And yet, everyone else sees it as "pretty good", "okay", and "meh" territory. Are my standards just too low, do I have bad taste, or does this movie just fall directly into my niche like a puzzle piece?

If you're interests in films are a Tetris Puzzle, Get Smart is the one piece that takes out 4 rows worth of tiles.

I know how you mean though, people expect a favorite movie to be one of the classics but everyone has different tastes. Like with the Batman movies, I hated Begins and consider Returns my favorite not-animated one even though most people consider the Nolan Batman movies the best. As for Marvel movies (at least until Avengers is out) my favorite has been Punisher War-Zone since that one was released even though Spider-Man and 2 were considered the best (although Thor and Captain America are gaining more and, more love).

Everyone has different tastes. You can't deny the greatness of one of cinema's masterpieces but you have to be true to your own personal interests.

But even then people generally agree on the general quality of the different Batman movies. Favorites are all dependent on taste, since they're all really different from each other, but for the type of movie each one does, the quality is generally agreed upon.

I'm sorry, but Get Smart is not a real movie because it lacks CG animation. UP would be my favorite movie, because Pixar is one of the few studios that makes good movies, and it was a good movie. Cars was not a real movie though, get over your nostalgia people... even if you like cars, they can't really talk.

A movie doesn't need CG to be good.

There isn't much wrong with loving a not-so-loved film.

I can't say I know the feeling. My favourite film is 'The Usual Suspects' and that's considered one of the greats, along with the fact is has the greatest ending of any film, ever. No arguments. NO ARGUMENTS.

Mine would have to be the second in the Alien trilogy, Aliens. I don't know what this says about me, but I saw it with my dad when I was 6. Ever since then its been in my mind its been a pillar of great casting, amazing spit-flecked ad-lib acting, and non-intrusive special effects. It also took the time to develop characters and didn't fall into the "15 minutes till action" trap that so many films these days do.

Any other Aliens fans out there? I mean, 'DARES MOVEMENT ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!

Dude Where's My Car
I think I could watch that movie every waking moment of my life and it would take me at least 20 years to stop laughing.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked