Women can't drive?? Why is that?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Where did this idea that women can't drive? Or to make matter worst if you throw in cellphones or lack of any car knowledge..............and if she's old Asian and female you and everyone else on the road are in danger.

Is this some sexist idea that women can't drive because driving is a man's sport and have knowledge of cars and tune ups is exclusive to men only? Or maybe motor sports should be a "men's only club"

Let's get to bottom of this myth

What I heard was that before the invention of power steering, women did generally have more trouble driving due to lower upper body strength.

^ What @Aidinthel said.
There's usually a truth behind every myth, but some are weirder than others.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/07/women_worse_drivers_more_crashes_than_men_less_driving.html

Speaks for itself, it's also especially bulshitty when you stop to consider that men pay higher car insurance than women do.

EDIT:

Also the guy behind the massive study obviously wanted to cover his ass against the feminist retaliation.

"The results indicate that in certain crash scenarios, male-to-male crashes tend to be underrepresented and female-to-female crashes tend to be overrepresented,"

Pretty stupid statement to make, how exactly are you going to see that huge a margin of error when looking at over 6 million crashes?

ForgottenPr0digy:
snip

Because it is a well known truth, passed down from father to son since.... forever.

Duh :P

Isn't this also related to the idea the small amounts of women can't play FPS games because of depth of field or something.

My comment is pretty much hearsay so don't flame me too much.

Regnes:
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/07/women_worse_drivers_more_crashes_than_men_less_driving.html

Speaks for itself, it's also especially bulshitty when you stop to consider that men pay higher car insurance than women do.

EDIT:

Also the guy behind the massive study obviously wanted to cover his ass against the feminist retaliation.

"The results indicate that in certain crash scenarios, male-to-male crashes tend to be underrepresented and female-to-female crashes tend to be overrepresented,"

Pretty stupid statement to make, how exactly are you going to see that huge a margin of error when looking at over 6 million crashes?

It doesn't really prove women are worse drivers. The study only covers two vehicle collisions. It does also mention that fatality rate per distance driven is higher for males.

As for that last statement, it's not an attempt to cover his ass at all. Here, let's have some context.

The results indicate that in certain crash scenarios, male-to-male crashes tend to be underrepresented and female-to-female crashes tend to be overrepresented. This pattern of results could be due to either differential gender exposure to the different scenarios, differential gender capabilities to handle specific scenarios, or differential expectations of actions by other drivers based on their gender. The current lack of information on gender exposure in different scenarios, scenario-specific driver skills, and driver expectations based on other drivers' gender prevents ruling out any of these possible explanations.

Translation: "This happens, but we don't have enough information to say why it does."

I've always asked myself why they are allowed to drive considering how terrible they are at it. But now OP is going to edit their title and ruin this joke. Do not disappoint me by doing this OP.

Driving is a big manly thing, obviously we have to tell ourselves that women (and Asians), being less manly, can't do it.

Strange as the mining multinationals here think that young women are safer drivers than young men (under 30).

On the mine sites here young men are generally not hired to drive many vehicles as they are considered too dangerous, while women are.

The young men are hired to drive some vehicles which require greater risk taking and less precision.

I'm a bit offended by the Asian part. Japanese people were always good at driving planes. Especially planes like A-10s! A myth is a myth.

Every single female I know who got their license in the last 2 years has crashed within the first 2 weeks of driving.

Every. Single. One.

because kitchens don't have wheels. Haha

No, because people thought that driving is too difficult for the tiny brain of a woman to comprehend. This advert also explains it.

It's because they literally perceive space differently than men. There's a reason many women can't parallel park worth shit. Which means that at any given speed, women on average are worse drivers. Of course, they also tend to drive slower than men so the accidents they get into are not nearly as likely to result in fatalities.

Because my friends sister is the one who they got the results from. xD

Tony:
I'm a bit offended by the Asian part. Japanese people were always good at driving planes. Especially planes like A-10s! A myth is a myth.

Isn't there a law in Japan that requires a camera in a vehicle for insurance reasons if you live in one of the major cities?

OT:

I dont think its just women that drive bad, I think everyone does.

Have you SEEN some of the dickheads that get on the roads while its raining or, even worse, a light snow starts falling?

its like all of a sudden they lose all prior knowledge of how to drive.

No, seriously, a while back a nearby town got flooded due to sub-par drains and poor city planning. One part of the town in particular was hilarious, best way to drive through flood waters to these people? turn around and DRIVE BACKWARDS THROUGH FOUR FEET OF WATER.

GENIUS!

Do you know any women?

Have you seen them drive?

Have you ever seen a woman applying makeup while driving?

These are important questions....

(for the record, I don't trust anyone driving besides myself. Also, I have never felt comfortable while being a passenger while a woman was driving.)

Kalezian:

Tony:

Isn't there a law in Japan that requires a camera in a vehicle for insurance reasons if you live in one of the major cities?

I've never heard of such a law. However, a lot of cars in Japan actually have a rear-view camera installed in the car itself, if that's what you're talking about. It's quite commonplace, actually.

I can give you a purely speculative answer that may be very far from the truth as this is just a possible scenario encompassing a variety of information. Right then lets begin.

Around the time that cars were starting to become affordable enough for average families to own one, the world had a lot more households were in each member of the married household was more likely to stick to traditional gender roles, namely the woman deals with household affairs (cleaning, children, etc.), while upon the man fell the task of external work in an attempt to provide an income for the family. Given that the woman in the relationship did not have to leave the house much, while the man had to leave everyday to go to work, should a car come into the equation it would make sense that the man learn to drive it as he was in greater need of reliable transportation. It is also worth mentioning that the car may be seen as a piece of machinery, and social stigma would dictate that this would also fall under the man's jurisdiction. So you have on the onset of this large explosion in car owning families, the males of the family learning to drive.

In the coming years, women continue to strive for greater independence, and move into what was traditionally male territory, including the want to learn to drive (a trend which can still be seen in some of the more oppressive middle eastern countries). Now you have a large population of drivers, most of which are older males, and what may be seen as a bunch of rebellious women trying to emerge and establish themselves in what was traditionally a male-only (at least for the most part) activity. Taking into account that the female independence movement was not all that well received by a variety of groups, and you have the appropriate circumstances where in a female driver will be criticized and looked down upon for a mistake more heavily, than if a similar mistake would be committed by a male driver. Hence the old notion that women were worse drivers than man.

As for the Asians, I have no idea. If I were to conjure up another scenario, maybe it would look something like this.

The driving revolution takes place later in Asian markets since the whole assembly line model which makes automobiles so affordable is heavily associated with Ford. Take into account the population boom (especially in China) and the ever growing want/need for cars by its [china's] population, and you have an unsafe number of people on the roads at very quickly at a time where driving is just emerging.

It could perhaps also be simply that the delayed revolution produced a false sense of superiority in American over Asian drivers. This would likely be due to the increased amount of time that automobiles had to be ingrained in American culture, leading to a better overall population of drivers in contrast to the newly emerging drivers of Asia.

Anyways just some possible theories, but nothing I've looked into too, so ^ is not law.

Because the myth has existed for so long that we now think of it as an accepted truth, and modern women are purposefully bad drivers simply for the sake of tradition.

In truth, their innate driving skills are so incredible they can actually make an automobile fly, but they choose not to because they don't want to hurt the feelings of us men.

Well, I once spoke to a driving instructor about that, and he said that in his experience, women often were less comfortable and more uncertain with car handling. They often needed a lot more time to get acquainted with basic car control. In the end, that didn't make them worse drivers than men, but being less naturally comfortable with handling vehicles might contribute to that image. Sometimes they were just plain scared of driving a car.

It's not so much women specifically, as it is women on fucking cell phones. But even men are shitty drives when they're distracted.

I have no idea, but I have seen and known a lot more women crashing (and they were blondes but that's another subject). I was in the car with my mother when she got too distracted by the scenery and almost didn't turn left (thus we nearly fell into a lake). My sister is also goddamn terrible at it. My chemistry teacher crashed her car about three times a year to the point where we all just dissipated whenever her car showed up by the parking lot.

Maybe there aren't a lot of women who are bad drivers, but the few examples are those that we remember and judge by.

I also remember a dude quoting "Women behind the wheel, blood on the wall".

Eh, I've known a lot more poor woman drivers than men, but the three of the four best drivers I know are woman. I honestly think it's a matter of confidence.

captcha: Hairy eyeball?

It's one of those:

"It is what it is bro, learn to live with it" situations.

from spending a lot of time in taxies and hence being a passenger to many different drivers I would have to say that because of the myth some people that truly believe it are just more critical when seeing woman drivers.

I rarely see news about women driving over people, its way more often to read about a man driving over someone while drunk than a woman.

Its okay if women drive and get in accidents. They come equipped with front and rear air bags.
aha aha aha.

except asian women.

Women get into many small accidents, while men are more prone to get into large accidents. Since there are more occasions where a women gets into those small accidents, they are labelled as being bad drivers, even though loss of life is more likely with a male driver.

[quote=

No, seriously, a while back a nearby town got flooded due to sub-par drains and poor city planning. One part of the town in particular was hilarious, best way to drive through flood waters to these people? turn around and DRIVE BACKWARDS THROUGH FOUR FEET OF WATER.

GENIUS![/quote]

there is no face-palm big enough

^^^^ignore previous post, that was the worst quote i have ever done

it probably all started with some douche bag hearing about a woman who crashed a car then declared that no women can drive well
(thats probably not how it started but thats how i see it)

Idiots on both sides of the fence drive too fast, don't steer well, ignore the rules of the road, etc.

Women can drive. The idea they couldn't might originally come from the days of the horse and stagecoach. I mean men took care of these horses and the aristocratic women would ride in them. When cars came into vogue men continued to drive. I don't know, just a relic of a far more sexist time. I certainly don't believe in it as I've seen plenty of guys driving half tons pass me on the icy highway to the city 50 KM over the limit. Many of these I've passed later on, looking at them rolled over into the ditch.

ForgottenPr0digy:
snip

Ha ha ha ha, your title. That is all. I really don't have anything usefull to contribute.

Well, going purely from anecdotes I've generally felt a lot safer as the passenger of female drivers. They tend to be a lot more cautious, though I suppose being 20 I've been getting a fair amount of lifts from people within the 'boy racer' demographic so that's probably coloured my perception somewhat. 0_0 As for the Asian thing...

...I think the Chinese would have had an overwhelming contribution towards that stereotype.

kortin:

Kalezian:

Tony:

I've never heard of such a law. However, a lot of cars in Japan actually have a rear-view camera installed in the car itself, if that's what you're talking about. It's quite commonplace, actually.

yea, something like that.

along with the sound generator put in electric cars due to how quiet they were.

Evidently being run over by such cars is a common occurrence in Japan.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked