What Language Did You Take/Are You Taking?
Spanish
11.9% (46)
11.9% (46)
German
19.4% (75)
19.4% (75)
Japanese
13.4% (52)
13.4% (52)
Russian
2.3% (9)
2.3% (9)
Chinese
3.4% (13)
3.4% (13)
English
23% (89)
23% (89)
Swedish
0.8% (3)
0.8% (3)
Other
25.3% (98)
25.3% (98)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Your Foreign Language

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

To any British people reading this, I don't know what requirements schools have for degrees in Britain (in fact I know extremely little about the place...), but in America, schools require college students to complete a certain number of courses in a foreign language for a degree. I'm curious to see the popularity of the different choices among gamers here. If you want, you can give a reason as to why you chose that language.

Note that one of my choices is English. Though it's unlikely, it's possible that there may be someone here who actually is foreign, and chose to learn English, which they use to chat on here. I'm just leaving options open.

Also, if you never took a foreign language course because you went to college before it was a requirement, please don't vote.

I took German in high school. So German escapists I'll have no problem communicating with you in your native tongue. Hallo!

There's Swedish but no French or Portuguese on the poll?!

Well, when we I was in school, we were taught German and French.

Can't remember a word of French, but I can still recall some German.

Ich heisse Ashley, Ich habe es vergessen Deutch.

For me, German was a lot easier to learn than French. Mostly because the sentence structure is very similar to English, unlike French which is just a clusterfuck of feminines and masculines etc.

Anoni Mus:

Or Italian. Seems like a strange list. Especially listing "Chinese" rather than Mandarin or Cantonese.

I'd personally swap out Swedish and Russian for French and Italian, both are more commonly encountered in high school and most people re-take the language they had in high school. Plus Swedish just sounds fucking weird. Bork bork bork!

Well my main language is Swedish and you learn English from age 7/8 to age 18 and you get to choose between Spanish/German/French at age 12 and at age 15 you can choose to learn a fourth language

I personally know Swedish and English and some Spanish

I took Spanish for five years in school, learned a little Pennsylvania Dutch (local German dialect) in elementary school and minored in German in college. I also took a semester of French for no real reason and I learned Mandarin Chinese at the Defense Language Institute in the army.

I don't use any of these languages on a regular basis, lol.

I said college, not high school. Only use High School if it's the only place you've taken it as of now.

I've only done a language in high school, early high school at that. I did Japanese for 2 years, hated it. My teacher absolutely loathed me simply because I couldn't quite grasp the language. I speak Polish and German on top of English, but Japanese I just did not get.

Ah well, It's over now and I am grateful.

I did French at school but that was 17 years ago.... can't remember a fething thing about it.

Took Spanish in high school, but didn't carry it on in college. I can remember a little bit but not much. I'd rather have done French if I'm honest but we didn't get to pick.

EDIT: And as others have said French really should be on that poll. It's one of the most common foreign languages people are taught. No offense to Sweden but Swedish isn't taught anywhere near as much as French is.

Karutomaru:
I said college, not high school. Only use High School if it's the only place you've taken it as of now.

Ah I missed that part. Sorry

I'm British and when I was at school French was compulsory, then the next year we had a choice of learning either German or Spanish as well, but French was our main introduction to a foreign language.

I took Spanish and Japanese in high school. Funny thing was Japanese was much more difficult than Spanish, yet I did way better in Japanese class than Spanish class.

GobbieGoldchain:
I took Spanish and Japanese in high school. Funny thing was Japanese was much more difficult than Spanish, yet I did way better in Japanese class than Spanish class.

That kind of happened to me too. I took Spanish in High School and sucked, and even though by all accounts, Japanese should be far harder, I'm having an easier time with it. Maybe it's because I have more reference materials, it has practical use in game journalism, so I'm more engaged, or it's complicated enough to intrigue me as a gamer. Like solving a complicated puzzle you need to translate using a foreign alphabet.

Because I live in Texas it was a requirement of both high school and college to learn Spanish.

What's funny is that though we have many people from Mexico and the like, they largely don't speak Spanish. They speak Tex-Mex (for those of you who don't know, Tex-Mex is a broad term for the mixture of American and Mexican culture here in Texas and refers to food and speech as well.) So even if you learned Spanish well it...won't do you any good unless you go to Spain.

Course I didn't learn very much of it. I didn't finish highschool for medical reasons and when I was in college we had a professor who wasn't really a profesor in my eyes and barely spoke English.

So I only know a few phrases and bits of grammar.

I took on and off german lessons to the point i actually got a certificate from a university in germany complimenting me on my german language skills ... f'ed if i can remember any of it now tho.. which is frustrating to a couple of friends of mine who are german now.. they are like DOOOOO ITTT! but im glad to say i have a number of lovely female tutors who would teach me their native language... slovenian,finnish,polish :P the complicated languages *nods*

Screamarie:
Because I live in Texas it was a requirement of both high school and college to learn Spanish.

What's funny is that though we have many people from Mexico and the like, they largely don't speak Spanish. They speak Tex-Mex (for those of you who don't know, Tex-Mex is a broad term for the mixture of American and Mexican culture here in Texas and refers to food and speech as well.) So even if you learned Spanish well it...won't do you any good unless you go to Spain.

Course I didn't learn very much of it. I didn't finish highschool for medical reasons and when I was in college we had a professor who wasn't really a profesor in my eyes and barely spoke English.

So I only know a few phrases and bits of grammar.

I live in Texas, and they give us choices.

Well I'm outta school and all I learned was English. But I am currently learning Japanese from anime and visual novels. ^_^

StormShaun:
But I am currently learning Japanese from anime and visual novels. ^_^

ditto for me, plus german from Rammstein songs/WWII texts.

In school I took latin along with 3 other people. It was pretty boss (It's how I got my username).

I can sing in german but can't actually speak it, been listening to a lot of Rammstein recently.

Dags90:

Anoni Mus:

Or Italian. Seems like a strange list. Especially listing "Chinese" rather than Mandarin or Cantonese.

I'd personally swap out Swedish and Russian for French and Italian, both are more commonly encountered in high school and most people re-take the language they had in high school. Plus Swedish just sounds fucking weird. Bork bork bork!

Not to mention all Canadians automatically learn French for many years in school.

I only had maybe 1 and 1/4 of a semester of Spanish, didn't like it because i never used it anywhere, but i've considered learning Korean since all my good friends speak Korean and i usually watch Korean shows with them.

Foreign language is not a requirement for my majors at-least in Washington, as far as I understand. I would however like to learn an Asian language at some point since the sheer contrast to English would make it interesting.

I took a couple classes in middle and high school for French and Spanish, respectively. Haven't gone to college, but if I was, I doubt I'd take a foreign language course. Would like to learn Russian though.

I took Spanish for a year but I quit. I'm already 'learning' Korean so I don't want to learn another. Technically I can speak it but I'm not very good at it.

Aye haven't gone to University yet, so that means the only foreign language that I've studied is English, but I do plan on studying French because that actually seemed really easy to learn from the class of that I took accidentally, probably going for other foreign languages too since I don't like not understanding stuff, Japanese will most likely be one of them since there are so many Japan exclusive games that I want to play.

aba1:

Dags90:

Anoni Mus:

Not to mention all Canadians automatically learn French for many years in school.

I don't know where in Canada you live, but here in British Columbia it was only mandatory to take French in grade 8.

Anyway, I haven't taken any foreign languages since high school (took a little bit of Spanish and Japanese, and have forgotten much of both) and I am currently not aware that I am required to take any foreign language courses to get my degree... but I don't really know since I have only finished one year of post secondary courses at a college and am transferring the credits and starting at university proper next year.

Anyhow, I'd like to learn French (back in grade school I hated it, but hey things change) and also Latin.

Other languages I'd like to learn but seriously doubt I'll ever find the time or discipline for include: German, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin, Greek, Arabic, Russian and probably some more I can't think of.

Edit: Also, as already mentioned this poll should really have French on it.

I did German in primary (elementry) school and high school, but dropped it at year nine because you don't need a foreign language in Australia to complete any courses, degrees and so on.
I picked it back up 2 or so years ago because I started listening to German music and loved it. I just started doing it at a proper course this year and have only minor troubles communicating with people in German on the internet.[1]
I also plan to learn at least another 2 languages in my life time. I love learning (as well as about) languages.

[1] Thanks to translators and dictionaries. When speaking German, I'm incrediblely slow at translating it on the fly.

I did German in year 8 and for as one of my electives in years 9 & 10.

Swedish in the poll but not Norwegian? Tsk tsk.

Indonesian is my Native tongue. But as a person who is studying languages, I'm learning French, Spanish, Italian, and German.

I don't have any at the moment since I am not going to school.
But I'm going to pick English since I am from Finland but my mothertongue is Swedish, but my dad is full fledged Finn...

I'm Finnish, and we had to learn Swedish in school. Also I took English since grade 3.
I never needed Swedish, so I sucked at it and have forgotten most of it, though.

I also studied several languages on my own time, of those I'm most fluent in Japanese.

In New Zealand it's quite rare that you have to study a foreign language, outside of actually majoring in one. That said, I've been doing Japanese at uni for the past two-and-a-bit years. Try denying me my games now, Japan!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked