What Language Did You Take/Are You Taking?
Spanish
11.9% (46)
11.9% (46)
German
19.4% (75)
19.4% (75)
Japanese
13.4% (52)
13.4% (52)
Russian
2.3% (9)
2.3% (9)
Chinese
3.4% (13)
3.4% (13)
English
23% (89)
23% (89)
Swedish
0.8% (3)
0.8% (3)
Other
25.3% (98)
25.3% (98)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Your Foreign Language

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I would think English is a really hard language to learn for foreigners. Like the inverse of how difficult it is for English speakers to learn their language.

For the first 3 years of high school I did german. In the UK you only have to do languages til GCSE (the last 2 years) then you can drop it. I couldn't drop it faster. I was in the bottom set for the thing and I can barely remember any of it

I'm Swedish and I took English and a bit of French. I don't remember more French that what's needed to read a kids' comic book, but my English is decent.

Learning a foreign language isn't a requirement after high school where I live, but in high school I had the choice between German and Japanese. I had to study German in primary school and couldn't grasp it, so I took Japanese. I was a bit better at that.

GundamSentinel:

B-Rye:

GundamSentinel:
Well, I had a lot of language education in school. Apart from my native language (Dutch):

- English (7 years, all compulsory)
- German (6 years, 3 years compulsory)
- French (6 years, 3 years compulsory)
- Italian (half-year course, in preparation for a trip to Rome)
- Latin (2 years)
- Ancient Greek (5 years)

That's what you get, living in Europe. Learning your languages is really necessary.

Would you say that education has enriched your life?

It sure makes things a lot easier travelling through Europe. And I have a knack for languages, so it was always fun learning something new. Hell, even Greek and Latin are often useful when encountering foreign words you don't understand.

I've been studying Spanish for 8 years now and still struggle with it occasionally. In your humble opinion, how long would say it takes before it no longer feels like a struggle?

Karutomaru:
I would think English is a really hard language to learn for foreigners. Like the inverse of how difficult it is for English speakers to learn their language.

It's actually easier because English is the international language of pop music (amongst other things).

Whilst films and games may be dubbed/subbed in their native language, most of the popular music they're exposed to is sung in English, therefore they become a lot more familiar with English than an English speaker would be of their language.

B-Rye:

GundamSentinel:
-snip-

I've been studying Spanish for 8 years now and still struggle with it occasionally. In your humble opinion, how long would say it takes before it no longer feels like a struggle?

Depends on how often you actually use it. I haven't had to speak or understand French in years, so I'll probably have a lot of trouble picking it up again. I can read and understand it reasonable well (same with German), but speaking it is still troublesome.

The only foreign language I use on a regular basis is English, so it's the only one I've gotten some real fluency in. Using a foreign language in real life seems to me the only guarantee to really learn it. Read foreign books or watch foreign films. With a decent basis in grammar and vocabulary it's a good way to getter better at understanding and speaking it.

I took Latin in high school, and am taking Arabic here in college.

Scottish and did 6 years of french and remember very little :(

Norwegian, English, Sweedish, Danish and some Spanish and German

In secondary school I took French up until Year 10, did not enjoy it, at all.

I learnt German at school but I've lost bits of it since then. My sister did way better and can speak it fluently, did it at uni and lived in Germany for a year. Trying to get her to help me learn it again. I'd of loved to of done Japanese at school but we could only choose from German or French then in year 9 we choose to do Spanish as well. My friends got to do Japanese [lucky bastards]but they went to a school in the Midlands and I was in Somerset.

Took Spanish for GCSE (compulsory), only got an A :/
Did French for years up 'til that, but I couldn't take being called Michelle so I stopped that.

Also Latin and Ancient Greek. My ScreenName is actually pseudo-Latin for Bob, inspired by this education. Ya know, just in case you were interested...

The first language I learned was English, then French, then a bit of spanish and now I'm taking chinese

I am learning German in college (I am fairly fluent, I just need to remember more words and burn the Swiss from my brain) and I still remember a little of the Spanish I learned in High School.

BTW OP at my school at least (UT Austin) some majors do not have to take a foreign language. Specifically Natural Sciences majors can take an alternate class type instead of a language.

not enough possibilities (as there's only one)
i speak english, french and latin (yes, one can speak latin), and of course german as my native.

German in high school and college, then also Japanese in college but I did an intensive course and none of it stuck. And a number of other languages (Finnish, Tuvan, Swedish, Arabic) on and off in my free time.

...This isn't even counting all the invented languages--D'ni and Na'vi mostly, but also ones of my own invention. And I don't care what you think about Avatar, Na'vi is the best fictional language ever invented. On that you can trust me!

So yeah, I majored in Linguistics.

I did Spanish and French for a while, but I hated Spanish so I dropped it in year 10. I like french but we don't start learning early enough in the UK so we're all shit at languages.

You need simultaneous choices.

My native language is Danish and I took both German (my german is understandable, at least I can order food or ask for directions), and English (which I'm using now funnily enough).

My parents encouraged me to take extra-curricular classes of english since elementary school.

Now it's my second language.

My native tongue is spanish.

Pity you can't vote on multiple.

I took Spanish in high school and Vietnamese in college. My Spanish is much better as I've actually used it in the years since.

I can cuss a little in Russian, but that more comes from an ex-girlfriend than any classes. :p

I took spanish GCSEs. Cannot remember a fuckin' word of the shit.

I learnt French in school as a compulsory lesson, but I am currently trying to teach myself Mandarin at the moment. I've only really gotten serious with it, due to other constraints on my time, but there's nothing more awkwardly funny that listening to myself make sounds like "BOAW JURRRR".

Captcha: Hot diggity dog

My new favourite saying.

I took language classes since junior high. Started with French.

See, I'd learned Spanish since Elementary school when I got placed in this Spanish Immersion program. Meaning we had to do learn stuff in Spanish. Was good. So I wanted something different.

When I got to high school, I took both Spanish and French at the same time. I'd heard there used to be German there but by the time I got to the school, no dice.

College came around, I went for Japanese. Because it's cool and I wanted it. And then I took French and Spanish once again.

I'm hoping that once I get back into college, I'm gonna aim to learn all types of languages. Because my wish is to be multilingual. To know as many languages in the world if not all of them.

Karutomaru:
English is getting faaaaaar more votes than I expected.

the Escapist has a large European following. Actually from some informal polls I've seen here we have more people hailing from England than over in the states were the escapist is based.

Dimitriov:

aba1:

Dags90:

Or Italian. Seems like a strange list. Especially listing "Chinese" rather than Mandarin or Cantonese.

I'd personally swap out Swedish and Russian for French and Italian, both are more commonly encountered in high school and most people re-take the language they had in high school. Plus Swedish just sounds fucking weird. Bork bork bork!

Not to mention all Canadians automatically learn French for many years in school.

I don't know where in Canada you live, but here in British Columbia it was only mandatory to take French in grade 8.

Anyway, I haven't taken any foreign languages since high school (took a little bit of Spanish and Japanese, and have forgotten much of both) and I am currently not aware that I am required to take any foreign language courses to get my degree... but I don't really know since I have only finished one year of post secondary courses at a college and am transferring the credits and starting at university proper next year.

Anyhow, I'd like to learn French (back in grade school I hated it, but hey things change) and also Latin.

Other languages I'd like to learn but seriously doubt I'll ever find the time or discipline for include: German, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin, Greek, Arabic, Russian and probably some more I can't think of.

Edit: Also, as already mentioned this poll should really have French on it.

I live in Ontario and I took french from grade 1 all the way up till grade 9. Now they teach it from grade 3-9. I guess maybe since we are closer to Quebec we have to take more? Either way my point stands that Canadian students all take french even if it changes from province to province.

Queen Michael:
I'm Swedish and I took English and a bit of French. I don't remember more French that what's needed to read a kids' comic book, but my English is decent.

If it weren't, you wouldn't be here.

edit

I'm American, and I just finished up my fourth semester of Chinese. Most majors are required to take two years of a foreign language at my college.

I took French in high school for two years then took Chinese for two years.
Now I'm a Chinese major in college.... so yeah.

On my own time I've attempted to teach myself Finnish, mainly.

French... most worthless class I have ever taken.
Should of taken Spanish.

bernardblack:
I'm American, and I just finished up my fourth semester of Chinese. Most majors are required to take two years of a foreign language at my college.

Isn't that hard?

Karutomaru:

Isn't that hard?

Oh definitely. It's so different from English. Characters instead of an alphabet, measure words, different sentence structures...yeah. It wasn't quite as hard my first year, because I had to take it five days a week. But it got harder this past year because it was only three days a week. I'm on the B/C borderline this semester.

I kinda wanted to get out of it my first semester, but I would have had to wait until next school year to start a new language. So I pushed through it and now I'm officially done.

As far as foreign langueges go, I only master (and barely at that) English, but I also speak/understand French and German. In a few months time I'll have improved my German hopefully to the point of fluency. Eventually I'll also pick up Portuguese as Brazil is (becoming) a world economy.

Astudiais i Gymraeg am ysgol gyneadd ysgol uwchradd. Rydw i'n meddwl bod yn hawdd achos.

Ahh, Welsh. Too bad what we were taught as GSCE was textbook Welsh and uber polite compared to the Welsh spoken in the Valleys.

-Sigh-

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked