Teen faces expulsion after brining stun-gun to school to fend off bullies

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 16 NEXT

An Indiana mother who sent her gay son to school with a stun gun after administrators apparently didn't do enough to stop the bullying against him said she would do it again -- even though the teen now faces expulsion.

"I do not promote violence -- not at all -- but what is a parent to do when she has done everything that she felt she was supposed to do ... at the school?" the mother, Chelisa Grimes, told CNN's Don Lemon on Sunday. "I did feel like there was nothing else left for me to do, but protect my child."...

...After six other students surrounded him at school on April 16, calling him names and threatening to beat him up, Young pulled the stun gun from his backpack. He raised it in the air, setting off an electric charge, and sending the group scurrying, Young said.

Unlike a Taser, which fire barbs attached to long wires at a target, a stun gun has to be near or pressed against a person to shock them.

It's hard for me to feel anything but sympathy for this kid. It's truly heartbreaking when you seek protection through 'proper channels', but are forced to take matters into your own hands.

I'm forced to ask, given the same situation: would you?

P.S. To be clear, no one got hurt in the incident.

It's all fun and games until someone gets shocked into cardiac arrest.

Back in my day, when we had to deal with bullies, we performed a musical number that showed the bullies why they wrong to do such nasty things. They would then join in with our song, proclaiming their lives changed.

The more you know.

The media is already involved, they won't expel him, damage control is the school board's priority, they need to save face. The story isn't about a kid bringing a stun gun to school, the story is about schools not doing their jobs.

EDIT:

Also for future reference, news threads should include a link to the story.

http://fox2now.com/2012/05/07/indiana-mom-sends-son-to-school-with-stun-gun-to-confront-bullies/

He's already won because the principal has admitted to asking him to not dress in a homosexual manner and he played the suicide card.

The kid is probably going to end up expelled, which is a little upsetting but you know it's the principle of the thing, he did have an actual potential weapon. However the fact that proper channels have constantly failed him proves that we need to teach kids how to handle problems themselves, not constantly intervene. Also that isn't bullying, bullying is when the kid who has absolutely no social skills is shunned because people saw him eating his boogers. This is straight up discrimination.

Alternatively schools could stop recommending ineffective solutions at the elementary level:

Regnes:
He's already won because the principal has admitted to asking him to not dress in a homosexual manner and he played the suicide card.

I'm pretty sure years of harassment and facing expulsion isn't what most people would call "winning" (except maybe Charlie Sheen). Schools often have zero tolerance policies for any sort of weapon on school grounds. I doubt they're going to avoid those because of national attention, they're still accountable to the school board. The best he can hope for is that the school works out an arrangement to provide home schooling and allow him to graduate. And hopefully they actually start paying attention.

The kid brought a weapon to school. The instant someone does that, you absolutely have to expel the kid, no matter what the circumstances were. I'm not sure that there was a good option for the kid if the administration genuinely wasn't doing enough, but worst-case scenario, the stun gun could kill someone, and you only use something like that in a genuinely life-threatening situation, one that I doubt was really ever a possibility. If there was a real threat to the kid's life, he wouldn't have been going to school. At least he didn't actually use it on anyone, so he probably won't end up with a criminal record.

Heaven's Guardian:
The kid brought a weapon to school. The instant someone does that, you absolutely have to expel the kid, no matter what the circumstances were. I'm not sure that there was a good option for the kid if the administration genuinely wasn't doing enough, but worst-case scenario, the stun gun could kill someone, and you only use something like that in a genuinely life-threatening situation, one that I doubt was really ever a possibility. If there was a real threat to the kid's life, he wouldn't have been going to school. At least he didn't actually use it on anyone, so he probably won't end up with a criminal record.

This^. I feel sympathy for the kid, but it doesn't change the fact that he brought a weapon to school. This time he might not kill somebody, but you never know if the next time if he will bring a gun to school.

She was dumb to give the kid a weapon, though for self defense purposes weapons are great, especially guns. BUT NOT AT SCHOOLS, what I mean is, a weapon is acceptable in life or death scenarios, this guy was not in one of those scenarios.

The school may not have done its job, but the parent pretty much caused mutiny. Weapons are not allowed in schools, period.

She should have taught him martial arts, much more legal.

If they were genuinely not getting any help through 'proper channels,' I'm not sure what else could have been done. If the kid's not getting any help from the school when large groups of people are threatening to beat him what they hell else could he do but take matters into his own hands? I'm just glad it was only a stun gun.

Heaven's Guardian:

The kid was being threatened by 6 people and a 6 on 1 beating is absolutely a life threatening situation. The school wasn't doing anything to protect him for this sort of thing so what else was he supposed to do?
If you have a better solution I'd honestly love to hear it, but I don't see any other options this kid had

kickyourass:
The kid was being threatened by 6 people and a 6 on 1 beating is absolutely a life threatening situation. The school wasn't doing anything to protect him for this sort of thing so what else was he supposed to do?
If you have a better solution I'd honestly love to hear it, but I don't see any other options this kid had

You call THE POLICE. It's their job. The school can deal with small stuff, but threatening a physical attack is a crime.

There is also self defense training, deescaelation training, walking with friends, standing down bullies (most will back off if pushed), switching schools, and MANY other solutions.

In addition to the kid being charged in this case, I'm rather disappointed the mother wasn't charged as well. At the very least child services needs to review her custody, she doesn't appear to be a fit parent. I wonder where the dad is in all this, oh wait, I can probably guess.

I dealt with bullies as kids, a stun gun is not the answer. There are plenty of answers, that isn't one of them.

Terminate421:

not exactly a better alternative route if the kid is highly motivated by what can be done. Case in point: a friend of mine who used to get bullied alot who one day almost got car jacked but ended up curb stomping the guy after breaking his arm and ribs. Got off scott free for self defense.

Well if I was going to bring a weapon, it'd deffinately be a good idea to make it a (for the most part) non-lethal one.
It's hard to give any other alternative given the circumstance. The only other thing I can think of is going to the police, school board, or even LGBT or Amnesty (LGBT works like Amnesty doesn't it?).

what is a mother to do?
make her kid stop being gay
-parents groups

srsly though, don't have much to say other than "when push comes to shove..."

Bringing a weapon to school? That's a terrible idea. Kid shouldn't have expected to get away with that.

I can sympathise with his situation, but he totally made the wrong choice.

Back in my day we had adults patrolling the school to avoid this kind of shit (sure it still happened but at least it was something).

He should have done it proper and brought an AK. Stun gun? No wonder pundits are saying we're raising a nation of wusses. Next up it'll be pepper spray or a rape whistle.

Wolverine18:

kickyourass:

You call THE POLICE. It's their job. The school can deal with small stuff, but threatening a physical attack is a crime.

There is also self defense training, deescaelation training, walking with friends, standing down bullies (most will back off if pushed), switching schools, and MANY other solutions.

In addition to the kid being charged in this case, I'm rather disappointed the mother wasn't charged as well. At the very least child services needs to review her custody, she doesn't appear to be a fit parent. I wonder where the dad is in all this, oh wait, I can probably guess.

I dealt with bullies as kids, a stun gun is not the answer. There are plenty of answers, that isn't one of them.

What kind of gated community white bread police do YOU have? In the REAL world the cops don't come until after the fact. Some schoolyard threat of a fight is NOT going to get them off their ass. EVER.

AMERICAN POLICE DO NOT COME UNTIL SOMEONE IS DEAD, DYING, OR HAS DRUGS. PERIOD.

Kids bully others all the time, and the only time anything is done is AFTER the fact and ONLY in extreme circumstances. This is what the school system does. They talk tough but they are useless for anything other than a "talking to." No consequence, no actual help. It only serves to make the matter worse.

Wolverine18:

kickyourass:

Of course, because the kid could just ask the 6 bullies to just wait a second while he calls the police. Switching schools isn't easy either. Alot of your "solutions" would only work in a best case scenario.

From reading the story I guess the kid was in the right. Although from what I can gather the kid sort of made his... gayness? (Couldn't think of a better word lol) quite obvious so I'm not surprised he was treated like that. If the school had done it's job this could of been avoided.

Difficult to say really
But bringing a stun gun to school is very unnecessary, then again lack of bully prevention in the school is clearly just wrong.
Everyone's in the wrong in that situation, both parties could have done more, or less in the mothers action, to react to the bullying.
In any case they were threatening to beat him up, not actually doing it, if they'd actually beaten him up before in the same sort of situation it may be justified, but still extensive.

Hopefully the six students that threatened this poor kid all end up getting suspended or expelled. Perhaps if the school had worked harder to stop bullying this never would have happened.

Daystar Clarion:

Back in my day, when we had to deal with bullies, we performed a musical number that showed the bullies why they wrong to do such nasty things. They would then join in with our song, proclaiming their lives changed.

The more you know.

by any chance, did you snap your fingers in unison while approaching said miscreants?

OT: six versus one? in Texas that's considered gang affiliation and had they thrown a puch it would of carried a bigger penalty.

but, yea, given the same situation where the school does shit because their policy is 'if you ignore it, it goes away' I not only would of pulled it, I would of used it.

Fuck teachers and school personnel who don't do anything about bullies in their school, if they are incompetent to the point they cant at the least guarantee safety of your children, then they shouldn't have a fucking job.

God knows there are other people that desperately need them.

other news: Captcha, Hobby-Horse, yet again I do not have horses that have hobbies or a hobby about horses, I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Bat Vader:
Hopefully the six students that threatened this poor kid all end up getting suspended or expelled. Perhaps if the school had worked harder to stop bullying this never would have happened.

I'm willing to take this a step further : make em' wear explosive collars. The next time they decide to gang up on somebody...BOOM!

Terminate421:
She was dumb to give the kid a weapon, though for self defense purposes weapons are great, especially guns. BUT NOT AT SCHOOLS, what I mean is, a weapon is acceptable in life or death scenarios, this guy was not in one of those scenarios.

The school may not have done its job, but the parent pretty much caused mutiny. Weapons are not allowed in schools, period.

You realize that a badly/well aimed kick is significantly more deadly than a civilian stun-gun, right? The kid was smart and fired a warning shot, this is pretty much the most perfectly the situation COULD have gone.

So basically you people think he should have just taken his beating like a good little sheep?

Daystar Clarion:

The more you know.

....are you part of the cast of Glee by some chance?

OT: If a school isn't doing enough, I don't think raising the violence level is the answer. Sure, the kid's story sucks, but...I'm pulling a 'domino' effect here but it's one step away from bringing a fully loaded gun into school.

kgpspyguy:
So basically you people think he should have just taken his beating like a good little sheep?

Clearly not. He should have called the police then stood there and waited the 20+ minutes for the cops to send a car by, while becoming instantly invulnerable to all physical attacks after taking out his phone.

Edit: OT: I totally support the kid and his use of the stun gun. I would go so far as to say that he would have been perfectly justified in zapping as many of his assailants as he could. The fact that the school let it devolve into such a situation in the first place is the problem, not the kid taking steps to protect himself.

Would it be preferred if he didn't have to use the thing? Absolutely. The fact of the matter is though, schools like to bury their head in the sand and pretend there's no bullying problem, and the cops aren't going to care. He has to be willing to defend himself from attackers, and if that means using a stun gun, then he should use a stun gun. Simple as that.

Wolverine18:

kickyourass:

Why not?

This is a civilian short-range non-Taser stun gun. It's basically a powerful portable Van-de-Graf generator, something that we played with one physics class with teacher's consent. The shocks hurt, but are NOWHERE NEAR deadly, unless you have a barely-functioning heart and get hit in the upper-torso all while Lady Luck frowns a frown of death. It's as safe as self-defense measures GET. When you have six people blocking you into a corner and threatening to pummel you into oblivion, it's all well and good to talk semantics, options, and how the school SHOULD be intervening, and how people SHOULDN'T bully others... as you get pummeled into oblivion. Good luck reaching a phone to call police (who won't come and attend a schoolyard standoff anyhow).

And what are the "other answers"? That's a slap in the face to anyone who was unable to stop bullies as children. I faced bullies as well, and I don't know how you did it, but the only thing that permanently stopped a bully before I outgrew them all was when I grabbed a big stick and threatened to bash his head in with it. Don't like that? DEAL WITH IT, IT WORKED BETTER THAN ANY OTHER METHOD. I tried all the others I could think of.

And quite frankly, "threatening to mildly injure" is a much better "solution" than your proposed "switch schools" or "threaten with greater injury" (a common effect of self-defense training), and some of your other ones simply won't work. De-escalation requires the other person to be somewhat reasonable, walking with friends requires friends, evasion requires speed, standing down requires cowardly bullies, NONE OF WHICH I had to work with.

I LAUD this kid for having the balls to make motions of fighting back, as well as having the brains to fire a warning shot first. I laud the mother for actually using the full extent of her power (up to arming her kid with a non-fatal stun-gun) as far as she needed to to make a goddamned difference.

Your post reeks of wishy-washy idealism that simply doesn't stand up in a bad bullying situation.

My my, all these people who have no concept of reality and would rather use a weapon than their head.

kman123:

Daystar Clarion:

The more you know.

....are you part of the cast of Glee by some chance?

OT: If a school isn't doing enough, I don't think raising the violence level is the answer. Sure, the kid's story sucks, but...I'm pulling a 'domino' effect here but it's one step away from bringing a fully loaded gun into school.

No... next step is pepper spray, then comes brass knuckles, then a taser, then coordinated attacks with other classmates, then an empty gun, THEN a loaded gun.

People don't realize how not-dangerous civilian static stun-guns are (I'm being led to believe that's what he had). They cause a nasty shock and mild muscle spasm, giving you three seconds to get away and/or threaten to zap them again. It's not a bowl-them-over taser.

Disregard stun guns
Acquire nun-chucks.

Wolverine18:
My my, all these people who have no concept of reality and would rather use a weapon than their head.

That's silly, nobody wins in a head-but

Or doing mean doing the responsible like say, reporting them to the authorities.

Or maybe laughing off threats of physical violence, or trying to reason with the bigots, because that ALWAYS works out so well.

Or doing the "mature" and turning the other cheek? You know what that accomplishes? Getting TWO black eyes. THAT is reality! You want to know another reality? The one with the most firepower has the advantage.

Wolverine18:

Using your head is overrated. It's harder to hide the injuries afterwards. Plus, your neck hurts afterwards, as well as restricting the swing area required to make a good hit. Most people tend to protect their heads in these situations as one's fists, feet or carried object typically makes a better blunt weapon. Alternatively, a static stun gun or pepper spray. Those are the most effective and are more likely to doscourage the bully from trying again.

Unless you're referring to Macgyvering a shield out of the air, walls and floor as six brutes bear down on you. In which case, go ahead.

(Generally, people who tell bullied kids to "use your head" are simply too lazy and aloof and don't care enough to come up with an actual solution.)

HardRockSamurai:

Bat Vader:

I'm willing to take this a step further : make em' wear explosive collars. The next time they decide to gang up on somebody...BOOM!

While that would solve the problem and make bullies think twice about bullying someone. I can't help but think that it may be going just a bit far. I think they should be turned into mimes instead.

This is why zero tolerance is fucking stupid, except when actual guns are considered and even then I'm not so likely to agree with it. In any other pat of society you can sue or have to be put on trial, but if you fuck up according to zero tolerance (which has some disgustingly stupid rules) you are expelled without any chance of making your case. Unless the media gets word of it, then the whole staff gets to spend to rest of their lives paying for having to act in accordance with rules that are largely beyond their control.

Bat Vader:

HardRockSamurai:

Bat Vader:

While that would solve the problem and make bullies think twice about bullying someone. I can't help but think that it may be going just a bit far. I think they should be turned into mimes instead.

WHOA! I was only suggesting that we strap live explosives to their heads. But mimes???...................that's just sick.....

lacktheknack:

Wolverine18:

Using your head is overrated. It's harder to hide the injuries afterwards. Plus, your neck hurts afterwards, as well as restricting the swing area required to make a good hit. Most people tend to protect their heads in these situations as one's fists, feet or carried object typically makes a better blunt weapon. Alternatively, a static stun gun or pepper spray. Those are the most effective and are more likely to doscourage the bully from trying again.

Unless you're referring to Macgyvering a shield out of the air, walls and floor as six brutes bear down on you. In which case, go ahead.

(Generally, people who tell bullied kids to "use your head" are simply too lazy and aloof and don't care enough to come up with an actual solution.)

Fortunately I'm from a country where both stun guns and pepper spray are illegal to use. Somehow kids manage to deal with bullies without that.Plus by finding solutions that don't involve a weapon they don't escalate the matter into a weapons battle that eventually they will lose, they don't break laws, and they actually find ways to stop problems that build their confidence and discourage future bullies by generating respect.

And I did supply a series of answers above to alternatives.

What we seem to have here is a cross dressing boy who wasn't smart enough to talk down agressors, tone down his dress, or simply have friends. He must have demonstrated lack of confidence or they wouldn't have picked on him for any length of time. Through the absense of the father in the story, he was probably without a father and thus didn't know how to handle himself as a man in that situation. So what did he do? Pulled a weapon? A cowardly response that will only make his life worse. He's lucky, for example, that they fled. He pulled a weapon first, at that point they could have taken him out and reasonably claimed self defence.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked