Unsure if racist

Pages 1 2 NEXT

There's a big controversy going down on Youtube. Well, as big as a video-specific controversy gets.

Apparently, this video is racist.

It never struck me that an Asian man painted blue and depicted performing voodoo would be immediately tagged as "racist", especially considering that they could have gone a much worse route (ie. used an unpainted Haitian or such instead) when they wanted to include the use of voodoo in their video. What do you think? Is it too ambiguous, or cut-and-dry? Should they have skipped the voodoo entirely?

I can kind of see how some people might think that the paint used for the voo-doo guy was too close to black face for comfort ,especially since the paint looks closer to black than blue on my computer.

twistedmic:
especially since the paint looks closer to black than blue on my computer.

Yeah, same - looks rather black here, if OP didn't mention it I wouldn't call it blue. With that said, what is racist about that? Even if they used an actual black guy doing actual voodoo, how would that be racist? The video has a church chorus of while people - is that racist too? Because I somehow fail to see discrimination in all of this.

I don't find it racist at all.. /:s

Well, if you're looking for it, it certainly looks like quite the "where the white women at" situation. Clearly black dude chasing after a very white woman and using fucking voodoo on her. It has quite the unfortunate implications, especially since white vs. black seems to be the color scheme of the video.

Revnak:
Well, if you're looking for it, it certainly looks like quite the "where the white women at" situation. Clearly black dude chasing after a very white woman and using fucking voodoo on her. It has quite the unfortunate implications, especially since white vs. black seems to be the color scheme of the video.

I love that gif so hard.

Although, one could make the argument that it's good vs. evil, seeing that black and white are common colors for that. There's also the point that, while the voodoo guy is dark, he's still Asian (not black) and painted blue (not black). The all-white chorus is suspect, though.

As I said, unsure...

DoPo:

twistedmic:

Yeah, same - looks rather black here, if OP didn't mention it I wouldn't call it blue. With that said, what is racist about that? Even if they used an actual black guy doing actual voodoo, how would that be racist? The video has a church chorus of while people - is that racist too? Because I somehow fail to see discrimination in all of this.

Theoretically, it would be painting black people in a bad light as being evil and superstitious. But I don't get that vibe from the video either.

Why give a shit? It's fucking youtube?!?!?

lacktheknack:

Revnak:

I love that gif so hard.

Although, one could make the argument that it's good vs. evil, seeing that black and white are common colors for that. There's also the point that, while the voodoo guy is dark, he's still Asian (not black) and painted blue (not black). The all-white chorus is suspect, though.

As I said, unsure...

You have a solid point there, which is probably the point the creators (honestly I should use a better term than that) intended. Personally I think that's probably what they were going for as well but you know...

It can clearly be seen to be racist if you're looking for it. That doesn't mean it is racist, it's only racist if it actually reflects a racist idea, though black versus white color schemes are often interpreted as such. I think it's pretty cool, though somewhat confusing. I like confusing.

That's actually a really awesome song. I like. Thanks for sharing.

As for racial depictions. I think people need to grow a thicker skin. Potentially anything and everything we see, do, listen or say is going to be offensive to someone in some way. The question that needs to be asked is whether the creator intended to evoke those emotions and why?

The music clip is clearly very thought provoking and its in your face nature blends well with the primal rhythm of the music. That being said I can't see how any of that reflects a rascist attitude.

The video is incredibly weird, but I don't see it as racist.

Also, the captcha seems to be obsessed with hobby horses recently...

Reminds of the scene in Birth of a Nation when the girl commits suicide to get away from the black man who wants to rape her.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEznh2JZvrI&t=131m9s

Basically same thing except it's an asian wearing black makeup not a white actor.

Haven't seen the video, but Florence and the Machine are awesome.

No, it's not racist. It's just another music video trying too hard to be "edgy." In other words, it's stupid.

Also, that music sucked. Big time.

That video is incredibly offensive. Just look at the product placement at 3:29.

Shameless.

People of youtube are stupid, very very stupid. This song is awesome.

The treatment of physics is the most offensive part

Yeah, after the blueface, reddish lips, and voodoo parallels, it's looking quite a bit like minstrelsy. The video would get nowhere near that much attention if they just put a black guy in the voodoo role.

Not that I'm offended or anything, but I can see why people who care about that sort of stuff would be.

Samus Aran but a man:
The treatment of physics is the most offensive part

You're telling me that falling for a whole minute and crashing through a magically vanishing skylight into the arms of a boys' choir isn't as survivable as the video shows?

SAY IT AIN'T SO!

Simple answer: yes, sort of.

The creative/visual director(s) of this video should have hot pokers held to his/her/their palms for such an extremely sophomoric oversight (and this me giving Florence and the Machine the maximum allotted amount of benefit of the doubt).

This is pretty racist as well.

I mean, how dare they paint themselves blue, it's really insensitive towards blue people.

Seriously though, how is that racist? I mean, maybe if they painted him yellow, but even then most people don't associate yellow with Asians. For it to be racist they would have to paint him yellow, give him tentacle arms and have him molest Japanese schoolgirls in sailor uniforms. By that point it's not racist, just sexy, presuming the girls are hot.

Regnes:

Seriously though, how is that racist?

Paint is a part of it, but the blackface and red lips, along with showing the practice of voodoo is a throwback to Minstrel shows in the mid 1800's in the US. Those pretty much popularized pre-1950's black stereotypes, alot of people would like to see that kind of depiction buried. It's not the paint but the whole combination.

gema fucks up germany. they still havent settled terms with youtube. cant watch it.

okay. asian man doing some sort of voodoo while painted blue.
so voodoo can only be done by black people now or else its racist?

i would understand these claims if he was painted like this
i dont really see harm in it.

people are too sensitive. everything can be considered racists now?

See, I love Florence + the Machine, but I never ever watch the videos for a cornucopia of reasons. Just enjoy the pretty music on midnight drives and seriously don't give the videos any attention at all.

how, what, why, huh????

For real. Okay isn't voodoo originated from an african (black) background???? How the fuck is it racist?????????????

Huh.
I thought it was "okay" as long as it was made very clear that its a purely fantasy version of voodoo?
I mean, I could see people interpreting the video as "innocent, white christian woman under attack by dark-skinned voodoo bad guy," but seeing the video on its own, the voodoo guy struck me as simply being that parallel scene in music videos that they cut to to illustrate intense emotion in the song when the vocalist is busy posing and singing at no one in particular.

It's certainly not racist; anyone who thinks it is seriously needs to reevaluate what they think racism is. They clearly have no idea what racism actually is. Video is a bit bleh, as is the song. The second album was such a disappointment after an epic first album!

Erana:

Huh.
I thought it was "okay" as long as it was made very clear that its a purely fantasy version of voodoo?
I mean, I could see people interpreting the video as "innocent, white christian woman under attack by dark-skinned voodoo bad guy," but seeing the video on its own, the voodoo guy struck me as simply being that parallel scene in music videos that they cut to to illustrate intense emotion in the song when the vocalist is busy posing and singing at no one in particular.

Weird. I wonder if entertainment culture somehow connects blue people to voodoo.

Or maybe that's just how they avoid allegations of racism... paint everything blue. :P

HardRockSamurai:
No, it's not racist. It's just another music video trying too hard to be "edgy." In other words, it's stupid.

...Sucked? Yeah, right, I see. Because a refreshingly unsexualised & different popstar with a beautiful voice is exactly what we need LESS of. Hell, what was even "edgy" about it?

OT: Don't see anything racist about it, seems like more PC-gone-mad bollocks to me.

Unless I was actually looking for it I'd say that paint is more black than blue, and that was only if I knew it was paint. Granted I didn't watch the whole thing, but it looks like a normal black guy at the beginning, and if you pause at 2:22, the guy could pass as a black guy.

As for whether its racist, I wouldn't say it is. Maybe because they have a black guy doing voodoo? If that's the case though, I don't know what the hell these people associate voodoo with in their minds. Far as I know Voodoo is/was an African or Caribbean "religion" (?), so most of its practitioners were/are black. This is just stupid people being stupid. If that's the main argument I guess that also makes Diablo 3 racist because the witch doctor (voodoo) is black.

OhJohnNo:

HardRockSamurai:

...Sucked? Yeah, right, I see. Because a refreshingly unsexualised & different popstar with a beautiful voice is exactly what we need LESS of. Hell, what was even "edgy" about it?

Wait, what? I'm not condemning "refreshingly unsexualised popstars" - I just hate this song.

Also, I'm pretty sure that when a music video contains an Asian man covered in dark blue paint using a voodoo doll to force a lady in a black dress to jump off a building fall through the stained glass ceiling of a church and get caught by a group of choir boys, it's trying too hard to be edgy!

But to be fair, that's up for debate.

Well that wasnt racist at all. What is wrong with some crazy asian dude painted blue doing voodoo? You can just safely ignore all the idiots calling racist.

Now to be a little off topic that song was fucking awesome. Now I want to listen to more stuff by them.

HardRockSamurai:

OhJohnNo:

HardRockSamurai:

Wait, what? I'm not condemning "refreshingly unsexualised popstars" - I just hate this song.

Also, I'm pretty sure that when a music video contains an Asian man covered in dark blue paint using a voodoo doll to force a lady in a black dress to jump off a building fall through the stained glass ceiling of a church and get caught by a group of choir boys, it's trying too hard to be edgy!

But to be fair, that's up for debate.

Well you see, I've always thought "edgy" meant "trying too hard to offend people" (yeah, I don't think it's a good thing either), so it appears there's a bit of confusion.

This seems to have offended people though, so maybe you're right.

DoPo:

twistedmic:

Yeah, same - looks rather black here, if OP didn't mention it I wouldn't call it blue.

Actually, it looks kinda green to me.

Slightly irrelevant, though. The video could also be argued to be sacrilegious, given that this "voodoo ritual" seems to be performed in a chapel. I think they're just using imagery to make the video seem more symbolic than it actually is.

Wait..so the black guy was really an asian guy pretending to be black?

Well couple of things:
1. I couldn't tell it was an asian, so I can't really call it racist if it's convincing
2. Hatians (which I assume he was trying to be) do practice voodoo. It's just their religion and to them it's not the evil witchcraft version that we think of.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked