The Avengers and Hawkeye [Mass Opinion Centered]

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Alright...I need to get this out. Like many people, I saw the Avengers movie and like many people I thought it was awesome. My main problem right now is the community reaction to the characters. Yes, Ironman, Captain America, The Hulk and Thor are all the main focal points, Hawkeye and Black Widow being the two side projects that wandered in to complete the original team, but really. Black Widow has nothing but "Lolboobs" everywhere I go and Hawkeye is called lame for using a bow.

Let's get this straight. Hawkeye, a secret agent who has dead-accurate aim and could pinpoint an arrow to pierce through your clothing, skin, ribs and heart at the perfect angel to kill you instantly, is lame? What kind of thinking is that? Did we watch the same movie? The guy, with ONE FUCKING ARROW makes an explosion so large in the Shield aircraft's turbine that the whole thing was at risk to plummet. Not to mention, did you see him miss a shot during that last battle? The guy is smart as all fuck, too. He knew Loki would catch his arrow, so he shoots and explosive arrow to him and blows it in his face. Really, the mere thought of stating this guy is lame baffles. Even in Comparison to the other Avengers.

Having not seen the movie yet (though I probably will this weekend), I would say that you're right when basing you opinions on not only the movie (that I haven't seen yet) and other sources (comic books). I would like to say though, I don't think that casting Jeremy Renner was exactly the right move for Hawkeye. My initial reaction (again, having not seen the movie) is that he doesn't fit the character. He's a great actor for sure but I'm not sure if he was a great choice for the part. I'll have to see that when I see it.

I hate when people point out that Black Widow, Hawkeye and Captain America to a lesser extent are underpowered. It's not like it's a choice between Hawkeye or Thor, it's both on the team, one doing subtle stuff, they other being the big guy. You get both.

Hawkeye has always been cool. What I found interesting is they didn't even try to use some of the Ultimates stuff (enhanced vision from a supersoldier program) as an excuse for his badassery, rather the regular "He's just super good with a bow".

overpuce:
Having not seen the movie yet (though I probably will this weekend), I would say that you're right when basing you opinions on not only the movie (that I haven't seen yet) and other sources (comic books). I would like to say though, I don't think that casting Jeremy Renner was exactly the right move for Hawkeye. My initial reaction (again, having not seen the movie) is that he doesn't fit the character. He's a great actor for sure but I'm not sure if he was a great choice for the part. I'll have to see that when I see it.

I personally didn't mind him as Hawkeye. He's not Robert Downey Jr. for Ironman, but he's not bad at it for sure. The movie does a fine job at making him just as bad-ass and threatening as the other avengers, but somehow people still laugh at him just because he uses a bow. If I call, Hawkeye's initial reasoning for a boy and arrow as opposed to a gun has something to do with the bow being more silent or leaving more range for him personally. Plus, I'm sure arrows are more easily modified than bullets.

overpuce:

Jeremy Renner is pretty damn awesome as Hawkeye.

I like him in the role.

I wasnt so sure about Hawkeye going into the movie, but I warmed up to all the Avengers by the end. Although the "powerhouses" Thor, Hulk and Iron Man really did steal the show. Captain America, Hawkeye and Black Widow had some really good moments but at times they were a little overshadowed by the other three

He seemed the most in control the whole time, and he had one of the coolest gadgets. I thought he was great, if maybe a little bit underutilised in the beginning.

I he didn't really have much of a chance to shine, since

. The most awesome moves he does get to show off are during the final battle, and in that he's hopelessly outdone by the superpowered Avengers. Also, one of the great strengths of the movie is the fact that it doesn't take itself too serious, and the guy doesn't have one funny scene. When I went to see it, people actually applauded twice for the Hulk doing what he does best, and I guarantee you, everyone who's seen the movie knows which scenes I'm talking about...

Also, next to the other Badass Normals like Coulson, Fury and Black Widow I found him to be a rather pale figure.

Eh, IMHO, the whole thing was very silly. It's not a matter of being underpowered, it's that being really good with a bow is a pretty stupid power. Having a suit of flying powered armour, ok, that's supposed to be cool. Shooting stuff with a bow isn't, really.

Still, not as embarassing as the Green Arrow.

Guy is good with bow...um ok... doesn't sound like a superhero to me. Sounds like a guy who could win a medal or two at the olympics.

I found him the most bad-ass of them all. He's just a bloke who's dead good with a bow, and he holds his own pretty damn well in a team of super-powered people and people with fancy armour. He does a hell of a lot more than Black Widow is given a chance to do, and I don't get how anyone could see that movie and not want his prequel movie green-lighted?!

Supertegwyn:

I like him in the role.

I agree, Jeremy Renner radiated badass throughout the whole movie,

OT: He wasn't just a piece of filler in my opinion; his vision and accuracy were as important as any other piece. He was balanced very well, for a guy who literally just has a bow and arrow.

I thought the same about Black Widow too, since she doesn't even have good accuracy skills I thought she would be an incredibly poor part of the team, but I never felt that.
Hats off to Joss Whedon for team-balancing skills.

Also, that bit where..

Personally I thought Hawkeye was awesome. Sure he wasn't Hulk or Thor who did a lot of damage, but he kicked a lot of ass with just a bow.

From what I have seen, people who have a larger understanding of the universe and a much more open approach tend to like Hawkeye. People who go there for the "Cool" or "Shiny" etc tend to dislike him.

I personally found him amazing, as i did with all of the avengers in the film.

Just my two pennys.

DrgoFx:
Alright...I need to get this out. Like many people, I saw the Avengers movie and like many people I thought it was awesome. My main problem right now is the community reaction to the characters. Yes, Ironman, Captain America, The Hulk and Thor are all the main focal points, Hawkeye and Black Widow being the two side projects that wandered in to complete the original team, but really. Black Widow has nothing but "Lolboobs" everywhere I go and Hawkeye is called lame for using a bow.

Let's get this straight. Hawkeye, a secret agent who has dead-accurate aim and could pinpoint an arrow to pierce through your clothing, skin, ribs and heart at the perfect angel to kill you instantly, is lame? What kind of thinking is that? Did we watch the same movie? The guy, with ONE FUCKING ARROW makes an explosion so large in the Shield aircraft's turbine that the whole thing was at risk to plummet. Not to mention, did you see him miss a shot during that last battle? The guy is smart as all fuck, too. He knew Loki would catch his arrow, so he shoots and explosive arrow to him and blows it in his face. Really, the mere thought of stating this guy is lame baffles. Even in Comparison to the other Avengers.

Really? People thought that Hawkeye was lame?

Everyone I talked to had great things to say about him; that it was badass that he doesn't need a gun.

overpuce:

Renner doesn't really play Hawkeye at all like comic book hawkeye. He's mostly generic super-capable badass. That said, Renner fills that role very well, and in general, I feel that that interpretation fits the movie better than a purple-clad guy challenging authority at every turn would. Someone coming in with no knowledge of the character would appreciate him just fine

DrgoFx:

I think Joss Whedon did a phenomenal job at giving both Black Widow and Hawkeye really strong moments. The man knows how to balance an ensemble of characters, and he made sure that they both played pivotal (but believable) roles in the story.

thaluikhain:
Eh, IMHO, the whole thing was very silly. It's not a matter of being underpowered, it's that being really good with a bow is a pretty stupid power. Having a suit of flying powered armour, ok, that's supposed to be cool. Shooting stuff with a bow isn't, really.

Basically this .

Hawkeye is the captain america what robin is to Batman . He's basically the sidekick . Another comparaison is Ashley and chris from Resident Evil 4. Chris is Captain america , and Ashley is Hawkeye . He's just there to compliment Captain America .

Also black widow in said movie does NOTHING apart from the occasional Ass and Boob shot .

As for the actual movie , it wasn't bad but it wasn't good . I'm actually just gonna call it Hulk. He was the best part of the movie . The Avengers is the best hulk movie since the last hulk mOvie .

krazykidd:

thaluikhain:

Basically this .

Hawkeye is the captain america what robin is to Batman . He's basically the sidekick . Another comparaison is Ashley and chris from Resident Evil 4. Chris is Captain america , and Ashley is Hawkeye . He's just there to compliment Captain America .

Also black widow in said movie does NOTHING apart from the occasional Ass and Boob shot .

As for the actual movie , it wasn't bad but it wasn't good . I'm actually just gonna call it Hulk. He was the best part of the movie . The Avengers is the best hulk movie since the last hulk mOvie .

Heh, I heard that too "Well, it wasn't as bad as the Hulk movies".

I liked Fury, both as a character, and because he wasn't a whiny kid like the rest of them.

Mind you, Black Widow as well, she pretends to be a whiny kid to trick Loki, only she wasn't, which was a decent scene. Apart from that, yeah, she's there to look good in a tight outfit. Apparently Joss Whedon didn't know how to have more than one female hero in, or give her anything really interesting to do.

On the other hand, given what he had the non-Fury characters doing, not doing anything might be a step up.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I've always been a Hawkeye fan. He was my favorite character to play as in the old "Captain America and the Avengers" beat-em-up and I've always liked the characters who excel because of gadgets/finely-tuned skills/intellect, rather than just superpowers.

I mean, this is what Batman does, and when discussing the Justice League, no one calls Batman "a lame wanna-be superhero who is just a regular guy with gadgets and superbly-trained skills who pales in comparison to powerhouses like Superman and the Green Lantern."

The only concrete difference is that Batman has a widespread, devoted fan-base while Hawkeye is a much more obscure character, therefore Hawkeye is easier to dismiss.

Scarlett Johansson, too hot to warrant complaints. Every scene with her in I was mesmerized. Yes.

Anyway, I don't hate any of them. Except for Captain America, since I hated that godawful movie. Ah Christ.

DrgoFx:

I just hate him because he is a lazy rip off of Green Arrow. Nothing against his movie portrayal. My problem is with the Marvel character himself.

He and Black Widow deserve their own origin movie.

I liked him. Despite only having a bow and arrows, he held his own pretty well alongside a team of superheroes.

SPOILERS

1. guy gets brainwashed insantly
2. he only screws the ship up like that because of his gadgets i mean id like to see him do that with a normal arrow
3. he doesnt really do much for the good guys he just takes out a few bad guys with his arrows and all the call stuff he does are because of the gadgets he was given
4. black widow knocks him out cold and beats his ass
5.the whole build up for his beef with loki ends up in failure... i wanna put an arrow in his eye oh look at that he caught it... because hes against at 21st century archer

TheCaptain:
I he didn't really have much of a chance to shine, since

I think that his time spent under Loki's control was where he shined, he completely tore through all of shields defences and made shield look pretty incompetent (admittedly that isn't hard to do) he seemed like an actual threat.

He did get overshadowed in the final battle though but i still think 'lesser' characters are needed for the story.. You can't have Iron Man sitting on a roof as a lookout, you need Hawkeye for that.

EDIT: also for people saying using a Bow is lame... how would guns have improved him? Half of his usefulness came from the fact his bow has extreme range and his arrows are multi purpose. Unless you can get a sniper rifle with timed explosive rounds or grappling hook rounds, his bow is just about the best thing out there.

"Lame" is pretty much the best word that could be used to describe him, as far as I can tell. Judging by The Avengers movie alone (and I'm sure he's much better in the comics etc), he's just crap. His personality is not interesting (does he actually have one?), his super power is "being good at shooting a bow" for Christ's sake and he does precisely one memorable thing in the entire movie, which is that explosive arrow part.

You could remove him from the film entirely and it wouldn't change in the slightest. The mooks would attack and destroy the Shield aircraft by themselves with a bazooka or something, and I dunno, Iron man would blast Loki at that one part I guess. Or whoever else was nearby.

"The guy, with ONE FUCKING ARROW makes an explosion so large in the Shield aircraft's turbine that the whole thing was at risk to plummet."

Yeah, that's not impressive at all really. Wasn't he given explosive arrows? The only impressive part about him is his aim (as far as I know after watching the movie), and that alone isn't really enough to make me care.

DVS BSTrD:
He and Black Widow deserve their own origin movie.

Take out the "origin" part and you got yourself a deal.

fatmrbunko:
SPOILERS
2. he only screws the ship up like that because of his gadgets i mean id like to see him do that with a normal arrow

By that logic doesn't Stark do literally nothing without his suit ? I'd like to see him restart the helicarrier's engine in an Armani.

See I don't like him for the same reason I don't like Batman, he doesn't have superpowers but does things that aren't just good, they're supernatural. Constantine is what a normal guy facing powerful foes is actually like. If you're going to have them be that superior to every other human on the planet just give them powers. Otherwise it's just cop out lazy writing so fans can say "He's just a bad ass, he doesn't even need powers to keep up." Bullshit, he does have superpowers even if the writers won't admit it. He hits a moving target that he's not looking at without even seeing it coming. One of those aliens was flying past him in the background and without looking (how did he even know it was fucking there, it wasn't even close to him) he aims behind himself and fires. Bullshit. That's a superpower.

Supertegwyn:

overpuce:

I like him in the role.

Jeremy Renner did a great job portraying the Ultimates version of Hawkeye, which is what this film was ultimately shooting for anyway. Kind of would have preferred classic Hawkeye though :(

remnant_phoenix:
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I've always been a Hawkeye fan. He was my favorite character to play as in the old "Captain America and the Avengers" beat-em-up and I've always liked the characters who excel because of gadgets/finely-tuned skills/intellect, rather than just superpowers.

I mean, this is what Batman does, and when discussing the Justice League, no one calls Batman "a lame wanna-be superhero who is just a regular guy with gadgets and superbly-trained skills who pales in comparison to powerhouses like Superman and the Green Lantern."

The only concrete difference is that Batman has a widespread, devoted fan-base while Hawkeye is a much more obscure character, therefore Hawkeye is easier to dismiss.

Erm. Batman doesn't have to revolve everything around an obsolete weapon that's his sole purpose for existing. He might write "bat" on everything he owns, but that's not the same as making everything an arrow.

Now, if he had a magic bow and arrows, fine, Thor has a magic hammer, whatever. As it is, it's just silly.

Ilikemilkshake:

I think that his time spent under Loki's control was where he shined, he completely tore through all of shields defences and made shield look pretty incompetent (admittedly that isn't hard to do) he seemed like an actual threat.

Just dawned on me, you're right. It was far more impressive when he took out the Helicarrier engine - with the careful taking aim and still hitting the inside of the engine through the wind and whatnot - than the overly flashy stuff in the final battle (like when he shot the "Chitauri" behind him without even looking) which made him look like Legolas.

toomuchnothing:
By that logic doesn't Stark do literally nothing without his suit ? I'd like to see him restart the helicarriers engine in an Armani.

Well, the suit and the tech are kinda part of Tony. Also, he gets to be more entertaining both in and out of the suit.

Also, even if we go with the statement that both are only as good as there gadgets... If you could have either a full flying spiffy-looking suit of power armor with a built-in link to your personal assistant AI or a pretty usual-looking modern bow and a quiver that screws a variety of arrowheads on yout arrows, which one would you want?

Dastardly:

DrgoFx:

I think Joss Whedon did a phenomenal job at giving both Black Widow and Hawkeye really strong moments. The man knows how to balance an ensemble of characters, and he made sure that they both played pivotal (but believable) roles in the story.

This is in reply with everyone, YES. Joss Whedon is amazing with team balancing and just having a team blend well together. I personally wouldn't had thought Bruce and Tony would become best buddies, and Black Widow as a character was pretty threatening.

And yes, when I ask people personally "Oh yeah, Hawkeye was a bamf." But when I look across the internet, I don't see any of that. Like many people said, for being on a team with a rage monster, a god, a super soldier and a suit of armor, Hawkeye does a pretty good job at holding his own weight.

I wasn't bothered by Black Widow being a woman at all. Only here on the internet I read the typical teenage-male reactions.

I'm fine with all characters. Hawkeye was in my opinion just as good as the others - the accuracy has with a bow is nearly godlike anyway ~_~

Spot1990:
See I don't like him for the same reason I don't like Batman, he doesn't have superpowers but does things that aren't just good, they're supernatural. Constantine is what a normal guy facing powerful foes is actually like. If you're going to have them be that superior to every other human on the planet just give them powers. Otherwise it's just cop out lazy writing so fans can say "He's just a bad ass, he doesn't even need powers to keep up." Bullshit, he does have superpowers even if the writers won't admit it. He hits a moving target that he's not looking at without even seeing it coming. One of those aliens was flying past him in the background and without looking (how did he even know it was fucking there, it wasn't even close to him) he aims behind himself and fires. Bullshit. That's a superpower.

Exactly. Magic him magic or go away. Or have him played by Milla Jovovich, I guess.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked