What is your least favorite thing about elves?
The fact that they're better than everyone else
4.5% (17)
4.5% (17)
The fact that they ACT like they're better than everyone else
46% (172)
46% (172)
Their love of nature
5.1% (19)
5.1% (19)
Their effeminacy
2.4% (9)
2.4% (9)
Their attractiveness (to girls, usually)
0.8% (3)
0.8% (3)
The fact that they're little more than humans with pointy ears
9.9% (37)
9.9% (37)
All of the above
11.2% (42)
11.2% (42)
Other (comment with your answer)
19.5% (73)
19.5% (73)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Why do you hate elves?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

This is my first poll, so I hope it works.

Okay, picture the average elf. (80% of you just pictured Legolas, didn't you?) If your immediate reaction is one of rage, then this poll is for you!

I've been seeing more and more hate toward elves and anything that might remotely be considered an elf. I'd like to find out why that is.

You'll notice that one option that isn't on the poll is "because they show up everywhere all the time and I'm sick of them." There isn't the same level of hate directed toward dwarves, who are just as ubiquitous. I'd like to know why it's elves, specifically, that make people mad.

Edit: bolded the important part. This poll isn't for people who only dislike them because of how common "elves and dwarves" fantasy has become. This is to figure out why so many people specifically hate elves.

I don't really dislike elves...
Sure they are a little over used, but they are a Fantasy trope like Dwarfs...

Hey, people voting "other": you're supposed to comment with your answer!

This is super important scientific research I am conducting. :<

Because those prissy elves think they can take our way of life and take our beloved homeland from us?! Our honor is far more important than elven bravado! Those poncy milk-drinkers shall get what's coming to them, damn elves...

-Nord

I really hate most elves for a few reasons.

1. They are often used to provide the 'natural' archetypes in a given work (I speak for the trees!), and it has been scientifically proven to be impossible to write environmentalists without being preachy, and I HATE being preached to. This is the same reason why I hate druids.

2. In some works, a certain group (which is, in fantasy, usually elves) is used by the author as an 'ideal society' and uses them as a sort of author insert to present their own views, why they're right, and especially why everybody else is wrong (Paolini's elves are the worst offender of this that comes to mind). This type is apparantly impossible to write as anything but close-minded and arrogant.

There are more, but I can't really articulate them at the moment.

I don't think people rage over elves as much as they're raging over the things that feature them. People like to complain about things being generic, and a fictional world that would include elves is "not original enough" for people.

I mean, they can often veer into Sue/Stu territory, but I can't think of anything where people complain only about the elves and not the entire IP as well.

Oh, and elves aren't gritty. People seem to have a thing for grit lately.

I'm just getting bored for their love for nature and thinking they're superior to human or other sentient lifeforms. For once I would love to see an tech obsess elf who use hi tech guns over a bow and arrows.

I don't, they're haughty, superior and intelligent.

Just like myself.

Erana:
I don't think people rage over elves as much as they're raging over the things that feature them. People like to complain about things being generic, and a fictional world that would include elves is "not original enough" for people.

I mean, they can often veer into Sue/Stu territory, but I can't think of anything where people complain only about the elves and not the entire IP as well.

Oh, and elves aren't gritty. People seem to have a thing for grit lately.

I've been seeing it a lot with GW2's sylvari. People say they like the game, they just hate the fact that it has "elves" in it. (Even though the only thing sylvari have in common with elves is that they're close to plants, and not in an environmentalist way--they're just made out of them. They have no more or less desire to Save The Rainforest than anyone else.)

Likely the cannibalism and how they try to force my dorfy brethren to limit their use of vital tree resources (i.e. burning them with lava, because what else would you expect to happen).

Revnak:
Likely the cannibalism

Well, I...wait. What?

I think I must have missed something.

Because they symbolise the least original, most derivative type of fantasy.

Axolotl:
Because they symbolise the least original, most derivative type of fantasy.

But do you hate dwarves just as much?

I don't...

I like how tragic they are.

EmperorSubcutaneous:

Revnak:
Likely the cannibalism

Well, I...wait. What?

Elves, they eat their slain foes. Those elves are bastardy fucks. Then they get all pissy when their beloved trees are used as the vital resources they are, and they come and sell all kinds of wooden goods to us? Fucking hypocrites.

Revnak:

EmperorSubcutaneous:

Revnak:
Likely the cannibalism

Well, I...wait. What?

Elves, they eat their slain foes. Those elves are bastardy fucks. Then they get all pissy when their beloved trees are used as the vital resources they are, and they come and sell all kinds of wooden goods to us? Fucking hypocrites.

Is this eating their slain foes thing also a reference to this comic, or have I missed out on a weird new elf trope?

Because they outlaw the worship of Talos.

I love Elves! I just can't eat a whole one.

I don't dislike elves in general, just the Mary Sue type of elves like in Eragon or what tends to pop up in fanfiction.

The elves in Lord of the Rings and in Skyrim (at least) are far from perfect. Though it's been a few years since I've read Lord of the Rings books (or the Hobbit) I do recall that the elves could be childish, flightly, selfish and greedy (in the Hobbit particularly). And in Skyrim they were racist, facist, xenophobic and murders.

The elves in Eragon, however, were always right,vegetarians, atheists, smarter than everyone else, better at magic and generally superior to every other living thing on the planet.

I just groan when people go back to the same old same old Dwarves and Elves. Don't people still like to at least try to create new things? Even if the new race is reminiscent in ways to already established ones, we wouldn't be coming in with any baggage associated with them. We'd have that feeling of discovery all over again. I think writers and artists vastly underestimate that feeling.

Something about phrases like "fantasy trope" and "standard fantasy setting" doesn't sit right with me...

DustyDrB:
I just groan when people go back to the same old same old Dwarves and Elves. Don't people still like to at least try to create new things? Even if the new race is reminiscent in ways to already established ones, we wouldn't be coming in with any baggage associated with them. We'd have that feeling of discovery all over again. I think writers and artists vastly underestimate that feeling.

Something about phrases like "fantasy trope" and "standard fantasy setting" doesn't sit right with me...

That's not what this poll is about, though.

People who hate just elves (and things that might resemble elves from some angle) outnumber people who hate just dwarves. I'd like to find out why.

EmperorSubcutaneous:

People who hate just elves (and things that might resemble elves from some angle) outnumber people who hate just dwarves. I'd like to find out why.

Well I do prefer Dwarves over Elves, so I can comment.

When I think of Dwarves, I think:
-Hard-working
-Tough
-Brutal, often to a fault
-Resourceful
-Brave
-Drunks

When I think of Elves, I think:
-Androgynous
-Frail
-Pompous
-One with nature
-Mysterious
-Highly-educated

Dwarves are more blue-collar and easy to relate to for most people. They resemble your drinking buddies, though maybe with a much more extreme temper. They appear to make the best with what they have.

Elves are an odd sort of elitist. They come across as Hippie-Poet-Philosophers, but with the worst qualities of each of those. Even their sense of mystery is less intriguing because it feels like they only have it because they are in the club and you are not.

I don't hate them as more of I hate how just about everyone uses Tolkien as a base for how the elf should be.

What's wrong with depicting them as a brutal, vicious and blood thirsty race that would readily and expertly eviscerate anything not elf in seconds with razor sharp clawed fingers. Sure they live in the woodland areas and can seamlessly blend into the trees but can also be found in nearly any environment. And my vision of the elf is far from angelic in appearance as well.

If I could draw it I would but the look of them would be something along the lines of a cross between the Shade (no back spikes and more normal head) and the Horror (no horns) from here http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/343838885/nekro

DustyDrB:

EmperorSubcutaneous:

-Hard-working
-Tough
-Resourceful
-Brave
-Drunks

-Androgynous
-Frail
-Pompous
-One with nature
-Mysterious
-Highly-educated

Dwarves are more blue-collar and easy to relate to for most people. They resemble your drinking buddies, though maybe with a much more extreme temper. They appear to make the best with what they have.

Elves are an odd sort of elitist. They come across as Hippie-Poet-Philosophers, but with the worst qualities of each of those. Even their sense of mystery is less intriguing because it feels like they only have it because they are in the club and you are not.

I see...So it's that dwarves seem more friendly and relatable?

The reason I'm curious about this is because most of the time when GW2's races are brought up, people are pretty quick to jump on the sylvari as being "gay plant elves." They insist that the sylvari are just more elves (and that's terrible), even though if you compare them with elves they have very little in common. From your list, the only traits they share are "one with nature" and "mysterious." (They also tend to be slimmer and more feminine than humans, but not to the point of being androgynous or frail.)

From what I understand, it seems like people have re-defined both (WARNING: INCOMING TV TROPES LINK) the Fairy and High Man race-types as "elves," which means that anything falling under one of those two categories is an elf, which makes them bad, because of all the baggage that the concept of "elf" brings along with it.

Have no problem with Elves acting like they're better with everyone else, arrogance in a negative trait, and damn are Elves in need of that. I just hate the Elves that are generally perfect at whatever they do.

Why do you hate elves?

They're cunts.

But seriously, it's the haughty attitude, it irritates me.

EmperorSubcutaneous:

DustyDrB:

EmperorSubcutaneous:

-Hard-working
-Tough
-Resourceful
-Brave
-Drunks

-Androgynous
-Frail
-Pompous
-One with nature
-Mysterious
-Highly-educated

I see...So it's that dwarves seem more friendly and relatable?

The reason I'm curious about this is because most of the time when GW2's races are brought up, people are pretty quick to jump on the sylvari as being "gay plant elves." They insist that the sylvari are just more elves (and that's terrible), even though if you compare them with elves they have very little in common. From your list, the only traits they share are "one with nature" and "mysterious." (They also tend to be slimmer and more feminine than humans, but not to the point of being androgynous or frail.)

From what I understand, it seems like people have re-defined both (WARNING: INCOMING TV TROPES LINK) the Fairy and High Man race-types as "elves," which means that anything falling under one of those two categories is an elf, which makes them bad, because of all the baggage that the concept of "elf" brings along with it.

I don't know any thing about Guild Wars, so I can't comment on that, but I do think it is because Dwarves are more relatable.

There was a popular kind of story in the 80's and 90's (maybe still now, but I haven't noticed it lately). A person (often a girl) born in the lower or middle class really wants to move up in the world. That "moving up" is epitomized in her desire to join some high-society club. She tries and fails, tries and fails, and tries and fails some more to impress the club. Then, in her final effort, she succeeds. She joins and is high in the accomplishment for a while...until she starts to notice that everyone in the club is a pompous asshole. They want to change her to be more "proper" while also talking down the "rabble" who she still considers friends. Finally, she realizes she'd much rather go get drunk in a dingy bar with her low-class friends than stick around in this club of elitist pricks, so she does just that.

Obviously, the Elves are the high-society club and the Dwarves are the rabble here. At least that's how I think of it.

DustyDrB:
I don't know any thing about Guild Wars, so I can't comment on that, but I do think it is because Dwarves are more relatable.

There was a popular kind of story in the 80's and 90's (maybe still now, but I haven't noticed it lately). A person (often a girl) born in the lower or middle class really wants to move up in the world. That "moving up" is epitomized in her desire to join some high-society club. She tries and fails, tries and fails, and tries and fails some more to impress the club. Then, in her final effort, she succeeds. She joins and is high in the accomplishment for a while...until she starts to notice that everyone in the club is a pompous asshole. They want to change her to be more "proper" while also talking down the "rabble" who she still considers friends. Finally, she realizes she'd much rather go get drunk in a dingy bar with her low-class friends than stick around in this club of elitist pricks, so she does just that.

Obviously, the Elves are the high-society club and the Dwarves are the rabble here. At least that's how I think of it.

Interesting...Thanks for your input!

God damn pansies!

Elves are either asshole aristocrats or one with nature tree-huggers. What ever they are too squishy. I regularly purge them from any game I play that has them.

And stop telling me to not cut down trees! I'm building Lava/Zombie Shark/Eldtrich Abonimation moat and theres nothing you can do about it.

The Dark Elves are nightmarish evil psychopaths and they raid my shorelines. The wood-elves murder our peasants and lurk in our forests. Kill'em all and let Sigmar sort them out!

I like elves. They're pro-mode at archery.

I hate gnomes/dwarves.

Mostly because of how one dimensional everyone portrays Elves to be. Ever hear of Elven society that both encompasses, good, bad, law, corruption, or has inner workings and complex hierarchial system that can only make sense to those local communities? Most of the time elves are portrayed as an embodiment of something, usually nature, or magic. In fact, we are so afraid to go beyond the one dimensional elves we have to make an entirely separate EVIL version of their race, that is also, extremely, extremely hell bent on being one dimensional.

I especially dislike how, elves when compared to nature are always portrayed as nurturing, and good, and all that, when Nature is anything but.

Because they took my home away from me in the Shadowrun universe. anyone from Portland or the forests that surround it have to bow out to these goddamn alien invaders. I like my forest the way it is!

Because they're all little pansy bitches.

Because the more and more games they're in, the less and less clothes they seem to have.

I'm looking at you TERA.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked