Sayings that annoy you

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Hey everyone!

So I guess we all have pet peeves, perhaps these extend into little sayings that people say?

The saying that makes me want to backhand the perpetrator of said saying is usually in context of announcing that I struggle with moderate depression (diagnosed, with second opinion) and sometimes my mood can be low. What comes out is usually something like, "Oh, cheer up then!".

My face goes something like this:

And I have to restrain myself.

So is there anything that gets to any of you guys and girls?

Captcha: "exceedingly well read" - why thank you!

"Get a life!" I'm sure many of us have heard this one. It roughly translates to 'waaaah stop liking what you like and like getting wasted like me which will then validate how i spend my time'. There is no real way you can reply to 'Get a life". Trying to explain that you do have a life makes you come across as lame. Seemingly witty comebacks aren't witty to anyone else.

'Smile!' is similar to the OP's. In middle school I was usually miserable and people would tell me to "Smile!" which would only ruin my mood more. Curb Your Own Enthusiasm explains it best with

Oh and 'Ninja'd'. I never got the popularity of pirates and ninjas. If someone mentions something before you then just say why you chose a similar thing. It isn't a race to see who can say the idea first.

'I could care less'

Couldn't.

It's 'I couldnt care less'.

ALL MY HATE!

"I don't want to live on this planet anymore." Or any anti-humanity saying.

Because of what one person or a small group of people did invalidates the whole species. Makes sense. What worse is the people that say this always give some half-assed excuse like were literally killing Earth or technology makes our lives too easy. My sister has this mind set that we should all live as if we were natives. But she fails to understand that she would have died without modern medicine.

when people use the word 'hello' is a sarcastic tone to basically say "duur, your stupid for not knowing that".

E.G.

me: "Should I call your sister?"

scum: "No she's out of the country, hello?!"

Really hate it when women say, "oh my god." After getting out of Highschool, I thought it would go away. My friends mom says it all the fucking time when she is on the phone. Pretty much had to listen to two grown ass women say it eachother as they were waiting in line. After all, not all women do this. Really grates on my nerves because it has so many uses. Don't believe the news they just heard, "oh my god." Of course maybe their mutual friend said something really naughty, "oh my god." So maybe every women who is born is implanted with the oh my god chip into their labia. As they get older, the chip either turns off, or it stays on.

Daystar Clarion:
'I could care less'

Couldn't.

ALL MY HATE!

So much! Also, this might be just a Rochester thing, but I've heard people say "I'm just talking out loud." When they mean "I'm just thinking out loud."

It's really fucking irritating because it shows a fundamental disrespect towards our language.

sextus the crazy:

Daystar Clarion:
'I could care less'

Couldn't.

ALL MY HATE!

So much! Also, this might be just a Rochester thing, but I've heard people say "I'm just talking out loud." When they mean "I'm just thinking out loud."

It's really fucking irritating because it shows a fundamental disrespect towards our language.

Don't know why, but that just gave me a mental image of someone standing in a park going "I AM TALKING TO A TREE!"

on topic; I've never liked the phrase 'man up'. Its used for a number of different reasons, one of which is to tell people they aren't allowed to feel bad about something, which always bugs me. Another is to say "grow a spine and do what I want you to do" which is basically hypocritical. And that's before we get anywhere near the sexism can of worms.

ClockworkPenguin:

sextus the crazy:

Daystar Clarion:
'I could care less'

Couldn't.

ALL MY HATE!

Don't know why, but that just gave me a mental image of someone standing in a park going "I AM TALKING TO A TREE!"

on topic; I've never liked the phrase 'man up'. Its used for a number of different reasons, one of which is to tell people they aren't allowed to feel bad about something, which always bugs me. Another is to say "grow a spine and do what I want you to do" which is basically hypocritical. And that's before we get anywhere near the sexism can of worms.

Really like saying it to a girl because they act confused and angry. Always in good fun when I do say "man up," to them. Most women have a good sense of humor and just go tell me to fuck off in a playful manner. Pretty funny to take it even further by going, "Put your ovaries where your mouth is." All the women in my life are tomboys. Really give me just as much shit. Don't like self entitled little bitches who think everything is an act of sexism. Of course white males get shitted on all the time on t.v. Soon as something is targeted towards women though, they come out of the woodwork to protest it.

"It is what it is."

Why, yes, that's correct. Now how about you actually tell me something.

A Satanic Panda:
"I don't want to live on this planet anymore." Or any anti-humanity saying.

Because of what one person or a small group of people did invalidates the whole species. Makes sense. What worse is the people that say this always give some half-assed excuse like were literally killing Earth or technology makes our lives too easy. My sister has this mind set that we should all live as if we were natives. But she fails to understand that she would have died without modern medicine.

This.

All the rest of my hate goes to things like "As it should be" and "Everyone with good taste agrees with me", attached to the end of an opinion. Those two phrases and others like them are just pathetically insecure - it's basically saying "anyone who disagrees with me is WRONG, my opinions are THE ONLY CORRECT ONES".

The phrase "Such and such has jumped the shark" has officially jumped the shark.

......wait a minute.....GAAAH!

Yolo.

I know it hasn't been around that long but it's been so overused every time I hear someone say it I just want to slap them.

Also random people telling me to smile gets on my nerves. Especially considering I'm not one of those people who walks around with an ear to ear grin plastered on their face. But just because I don't doesn't mean I'm not happy and/or content.

Daystar Clarion:
'I could care less'

Couldn't.

ALL MY HATE!

But "I could care less" implies that you "could care less" than not caring less.

Think about it. Or don't if you value your brain.

"Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither,"

People quoting this just annoy me SO MUCH.
Giving up your freedoms for security is what living in a society is all about. I give up my freedom to kick random people on the street for the security provided by the state and the community that protects ME from being kicked on the street.

The question then becomes what freedoms we must sacrifice, but unless you want all-out anarchy (in which case, fair enough) you must be ready to give up some freedoms.

As far as I know the original quote is "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." which makes much more sense.

Shawn MacDonald:
Really hate it when women say, "oh my god." After getting out of Highschool, I thought it would go away. My friends mom says it all the fucking time when she is on the phone. Pretty much had to listen to two grown ass women say it eachother as they were waiting in line. After all, not all women do this. Really grates on my nerves because it has so many uses. Don't believe the news they just heard, "oh my god." Of course maybe their mutual friend said something really naughty, "oh my god." So maybe every women who is born is implanted with the oh my god chip into their labia. As they get older, the chip either turns off, or it stays on.

I don't know where you're from, but hearing teenage girls say "oh my god" is so much more annoying when english isn't even their native language. I'm Swedish, and I can still bet that I hear that phrase about as much as any native english speaker my age.

While only mildly annoying: "If it ain't broke don't fix it" used to drive me nuts. Usually cause it was what people used to defend sequels not improving much over the original. More often than not, I've found that ANYTHING can be improved.

EDIT: One that REALLY bothers me is "common practice" argument. I've run into this when arguing about Human Rights in China. Just cause other people do it, doesn't make it ok.

Lieju:
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." which makes much more sense.

I agree, the key phrase there is "essential liberty." Which is easier to interpret than freedom.

TopazFusion:
inb4 "Am I the only one?", and this comic . . .

For me, it would be "It could be worse", when things aren't going right for you.
So very helpful saying that.

Daystar Clarion:
'I could care less'

I fucking love David Mitchell.

OT: "Anything is possible." OK then, see that building over there? Go up to the roof of that building, swan dive off, faceplant the solid concrete and get up and walk away without any injuries at all. Go on, do it, anything is possible!

"If you can't love yourself, how can you possibly love someone else?"

Pretty easily, actually.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

I keep hearing people say this as though only good intentions can lead to bad results. Or every time someone has good intentions, people will just blindly quote this phrase without even knowing what the outcome is going to be.

It's also paved with bad intentions, you guys.

blablabla arrow to the knee
it's in the knee
wow, i just noticed that this would go really nice with people making fun of hawkeye
and pretty much every use of a double negative, it does not make you sound smart if you are able to handle more than one level of negation.

Lovely Mixture:
While only mildly annoying: "If it ain't broke don't fix it" used to drive me nuts. Usually cause it was what people used to defend sequels not improving much over the original. More often than not, I've found that ANYTHING can be improved.

This, if you really believe nothing should be improved unless broken then go back to using model Ts and leeches. Also "Just cheer up" is an annoying phrase whenever someone says that when I'm in a bad mood I want to punch them in the face and say "just calm down."

*just to give my post context, I am a generally kindhearted straight nerd with aspergers*

"stick and stones may break your bones, but word scan never hurt you!".

Yes. Yes they can. If everyone is telling you that you are a worthless cocksucking loser all the time when you're in your vulnerable teenage years, you will start to believe them.

Between that and some mild roughing up (never got actually beaten, thank God), it's no wonder my psyche is as stunted as it is today. It took me 5 years away form that hell of a high school, and finding a wonderful girlfriend before I was able to muster any kind of self esteem.

To this DAY, I have trouble being confident about anything I do. Which is not a good problem to have in a job interview. >_<. So yeah, words may not break bones, but they can sure as hell mess up your mental state and leaves scars on your psyche that will be problems for years to come.

Daystar Clarion:
'I could care less'

Couldn't.

ALL MY HATE!

This is a close second.

the phrase "needless to say, ..." and then they say what wasn't needed to say.

"No pun intended". In the time you wrote "no pun intended" you could've written something else. Even worse "pun intended".

"That May or may not be the case". No shit sherlock.

This though grinds my balls. " You shouldn't complain, it could be worse" or "First world problems" or "other people have it worse" or something along those lines. What, because somebody have it worse i shouldn't complain? I hardly ever complain and when I do it's because my labpartners don't do shit.

However, I do hate people who complain about every little thing like "My mom, you know the one who pays for my food, my education, makes sure I have a roof above my head, drives me to places etc.., wouldn't buy the new IPod, I hate that bitch". Those people I can't stand though.

" But you can't prove that ! ". It isn't my job to prove your claim is false, it's yours to prove your claim is true damned !.

oh and : "everyone's unique !" used as an excuse to not follow basic rules. Indeed, you're unique, just like everyone else. You aren't special though, Steve ! I hate that guy.

Edit: just thought of another one: " like this if you were a 70/80/90s" kid or something along those lines on Facebook. Usually it is "liked" by people who were born in that period. For example: me, being a 20 year old am not a "90s" kid, even though I was born in them. The most relevant things to after being 10 or something. Who remembers being 5 ?

The phrase "It is what it is"
ALLOFMYRAGE.jpg

And also "moving forward"
ugh.....

I hear these at work all the time and they drive me nuts. Every time I hear "it is what it is" I want to cut their fckn vocal cords out with a rusty stapler.

"It's what's on the inside that counts."

but it's the outside they see and judge me for!

"Love means never having to say you're sorry."

Blind, stupid love, maybe. Your partner has a right to call you out on your bullshit. Heck, maybe you didn't even know your behavior was hurting them. Saying you're sorry is an admission that you actually care. You can't fault someone for occassionally wanting to hear that you're still emotionally invested in your relationship.

I guess the two main ones that come to thought are...

*Play it by ear*...my family uses this one a lot, so I grew up hating this phrase, they use it for everything and the sound of it has always grated ear drums.

*Whatsup*...the main thing I used to see from text messages, you know before I started to ignore them. I had "friends" that would text me "Hey whatsup?", I would go "Nothing much, you?" instead of using the, "Nothing at all my life is boring why do you keep asking?". Then they would go, "Nothing much"...and that would be the end of our "conversation".

"I could care less" and "m'kay".

The first reeks of stupidity and the second reeks of arrogance.

'The night is darkest just before the dawn.' GRRRRR! No, it fucking isn't! I'm sure humanity could come up with a better metaphor, one that actually works!

A poor craftsman blames his tools.

I mean what the hell is that shit.

The Diabolical Biz:
A poor craftsman blames his tools.

I mean what the hell is that shit.

Was that rhetorical?

EDIT: Nevermind, I get what you're saying. A perfectly fine craftsman could easily blame his tools.

Jakub324:
'The night is darkest just before the dawn.' GRRRRR! No, it fucking isn't! I'm sure humanity could come up with a better metaphor, one that actually works!

Yeah it's bad, but I just love how Eckhart said it in The Dark Knight

"Just stop being depressed, and be happy."(If I could just 'shut it off' I would... asshole. Anyone who has never had to go through depression shouldn't try to give those who are suffering with it advice on how to deal with it.)

"You need to get out more."(Usually coming from people you hardly know, yet they like to pretend they know everything about you, and exactly how your mind works.)

One of my personal favorites. "You don't drink!? You don't know what you're missing out on man!!!!1." Then they huddle up to the toilet, and worship the porcelain gods as they spend the night vomiting.

when people use the phrase "Shit Happens" to try and justify inexcusable behavior

"That's just the way it is/That's just how things are".

FUCK ME! Everything is the way it is! God damn it!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked