Sayings that annoy you

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

A Satanic Panda:
"I don't want to live on this planet anymore." Or any anti-humanity saying.

Because of what one person or a small group of people did invalidates the whole species. Makes sense. What worse is the people that say this always give some half-assed excuse like were literally killing Earth or technology makes our lives too easy. My sister has this mind set that we should all live as if we were natives. But she fails to understand that she would have died without modern medicine.

It's not serious, it's a Futurama reference.

Its sounds as if people have been misusing the phrase in which case take it back.
It's too good to be corrupted by ignorance.

OT:
Many of my friends have taken to replacing every single question with "what you saying?"
Instead of "how are you today?" - "what you saying?"
instead of "what are you doing?" - "what you saying?"
instead of "where are you?" - "what you saying?"

So....so...annoying.

I really hate "We're burning daylight." or any variation of it.

It makes no sense, daylight has no physical presence so it can't be burnt. I wish I could set light on fire and make it night time but I can't, it's not possible. Stop saying that.

I'm really tired of hearing people say someone threw someone/something under the bus.

'It's always in the last place you look.'
No shit, Sherlock.
Of course it is, because once you find what you were looking for, you stop looking, making the place where you found the item the last place you looked!
My rage. Please take all of it.

RJ 17:
The phrase "Such and such has jumped the shark" has officially jumped the shark.

Well Maybe It's about time someone nuked the fridge then huh? (Or I guess maybe fried the coke but not really)

I hate the saying "Stop feeling sorry for yourself."
What Does this mean? I feel disapointed and that makes me apologetic towards myself?

"FML." Okay, sometimes its fine--your wife of five years it cheating on you, and so you post it anonymously to the internet. That's acceptable.
But, you have a two-sided worksheet? They ran out of the 'good salad?' (How can it be good without meat?) Your stupid first world problems?
It annoys me that all these problems are just minor inconveniences, and most people would enjoy not having to pay for all their stuff, living in a large house, or having to get out of school by 2:30. Yea, fml to your broken pencil, and shove it in your eye.

Same difference. I don't know who the hell came up with that one, it used to be same thing, same idea or whatever but it meant that the two things were the same or at least very similar. Same difference means that its the same but different it makes no goddamn sense.

I don't get these anymore, but when I was a kid, my parents always said, "We'll see" when they really meant no, as I'm sure everyone's parents did. I just wish that for once, they would have given me a straight answer.
Second, again from my childhood. When my parents said something they didn't feel like justifying and I asked why, they would only say "Because", and I asked why again, they simply replied with "Because that's the why"
NO THAT IS NOT THE FUCKING WHY! NOW GIVE ME A PROPER ANSWER!
(Sorry, little bit of pent up childhood anger there)

Verok:
Same difference. I don't know who the hell came up with that one, it used to be same thing, same idea or whatever but it meant that the two things were the same or at least very similar. Same difference means that its the same but different it makes no goddamn sense.

Ninja'd! I thought for sure no one would mention this. But yeah, pretty much that.

I believe according to my brother anyway that that's pretty much the point. He tends to say it when I correct him on using the wrong term for something or how something is completely nowhere near what he was thinking. So he says it. "Same difference"

You're right though. It's very irritating.

cerealnmuffin:
"Get a life!" I'm sure many of us have heard this one. It roughly translates to 'waaaah stop liking what you like and like getting wasted like me which will then validate how i spend my time'. There is no real way you can reply to 'Get a life". Trying to explain that you do have a life makes you come across as lame. Seemingly witty comebacks aren't witty to anyone else.

'Smile!' is similar to the OP's. In middle school I was usually miserable and people would tell me to "Smile!" which would only ruin my mood more. Curb Your Own Enthusiasm explains it best with

Oh and 'Ninja'd'. I never got the popularity of pirates and ninjas. If someone mentions something before you then just say why you chose a similar thing. It isn't a race to see who can say the idea first.

Well, you said 'waaaah stop liking what you like and like getting wasted like me which will then validate how i spend my time'.

In the words of Dr. Cox: "I'd open with that..."

OT: When discussing my break up, a friend said "it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." The cheesiness almost made me break shit.

Edit: Oh yes, "exception that proves the rule" has been misused so much it's giving me a brain tumor.

Verok:

Wrong . It means the difference is the same . I'll give you two examples .

2-1 = 1
7-6 = 1

The difference between these two equations are the same . Thus having the same difference .

Let's put that in less mathematical setting .

Me: i have myopia
Friend:you are nearsighted
Me: same difference

The difference from normal vision is the same . Basically being nearsighted and having myopia is the same thing . Thus the difference between the each and whats normal is the same .

OT: There is always a silver lining . No there isn't. Sometimes bad shit happens and no good comes from it. I hate this optomistic crap.

Whenever someone says 'I could care less,' I simply reply: 'Oh, so you do care then!' If they don't get it, conversation over. X/

God works in mysterious ways...

No...no he doesn't.

Tis better to have love than lost...

Again...no.

TizzytheTormentor:

Again...no.

It's "'tis better to have loved and lost (than never to have loved at all)", in fairness.

That is to say, it's better to experience something beautiful or amazing for a short time than not experiencing it at all.

Or, in more general term, you won't experience emotional peaks without risk of a reversal, but the endeavour remains worthwhile.

On the 'God works in mysterious ways' point, it's a fairly weak riposte to the existence of evil in a world created by a supposedly benevolent god.

Also, God does work in notably different ways in the Old & New Testaments, on a slightly different point. And creates man twice.

"It could be worse". Yes it could be, thanks for reminding me.

The Diabolical Biz:
A poor craftsman blames his tools.

I mean what the hell is that shit.

I always reply "a good craftsman wouldn't use bad tools". But yeah it is a rubbish saying, you try using a blunt chisel for anything useful. /enraged former joiner rant

'Just sayin'

Of course you're bloody saying. You're not making a poo castle with gummy bears and lamp shades whilst playing a game of leap frog choreographed to David Bowie's greatest hits. Fucks sake. All my rage.

"Shoving it down your/people's faces". Whenever I hear that I just feel rage. Unless they are literally stalking you and saying "DO MY THING" to you ever second of the day, they are not shoving it down your face! You simply have an underlying problem with the subject matter and don't like it when you see it mentioned, there's no other reason why unless of course, the thing I just said is happening to you.

edit

thylasos:

TizzytheTormentor:

Again...no.

It's "'tis better to have loved and lost (than never to have loved at all)", in fairness.

That is to say, it's better to experience something beautiful or amazing for a short time than not experiencing it at all.

Or, in more general term, you won't experience emotional peaks without risk of a reversal, but the endeavour remains worthwhile.

On the 'God works in mysterious ways' point, it's a fairly weak riposte to the existence of evil in a world created by a supposedly benevolent god.

Also, God does work in notably different ways in the Old & New Testaments, on a slightly different point. And creates man twice.

I get the saying but I have a friend who had a pretty harsh break-up that had him depressed as hell, took him weeks to even get his head out of the gutter.

It bothers me that when something good happens, Praise god for his miracles, when something bad happens, oh well, god works in mysterious ways, what kind of excuse is that!

never say never

makes me want to high five them in the face with a chair

"Fair enough" really annoys me, because people always say it as this generic response to anything I say. It seems like they've put no effort into thinking of an appropriate response. I didn't ask them if what I said was "fair", or if they agreed with it.

Matthew94:
"m'kay".

Poor Mr Mackey

Anything that starts off as a nice meme, but then gets abused the fuck out of when people post 'memes' on Facebook

'I lost my faith in humanity'

This, so much. For starters, who gives a fuck? Not only are you judging our entire species on the actions of pitifully few, but you're also assuming that your 'faith in humanity' (faith in humanity to do what exactly?) is anything that we care about or that needs to be shared. If you're the kind of raging bellend that throws a fucking tizzy at the whole human race over some orange shits from New Jersy, you deserve all of your supposed-misery.

"What do you expect I am just a teenager."
"Don't worry be happy."
"Nothing bad will happen."
"Why are you so anger?"

All of these make me feel like whoever I am talking to a person that just uses overused saying because they have no idea what to say.

The Artificially Prolonged:
"It could be worse". Yes it could be, thanks for reminding me.

This, a thousand times this.

"Oh, thanks guy, well I'm sure I have no right to be upset about losing my leg as you've so kindly pointed out the chap in the bed next to me has just lost two."

Also, when I was growing up I absolutely hated the phrase, 'because I said so.'

If an adult said 'don't do that because I said so' it just felt like pulling rank and pissed me off so much. 'Don't do that because you'll break both your legs and they'll have to cut them off and then some dickhead will use you to prove a point to the one-legged guy in the bed next to you,' now you've got my attention...

Everything George Carlin here is about to mention...

"For the longest time" its something we never say in Australia, we just say "for a long time"...the American way sounds retarded.

TopazFusion:
inb4 "Am I the only one?", and this comic . . .

For me, it would be "It could be worse", when things aren't going right for you.
So very helpful saying that.

Daystar Clarion:
'I could care less'

While I agree could care less doesn't make any sense. Everyone should be saying Couldn't care less. I have to point out holding the fort when looked at the same way he looks at holding down the fort makes just as little sense. What am I supposed to hold the fort for? If I let go is it going to run away? See you can make almost anything make no sense if you just look at it in the right way. What I'm trying to say they both make sense if you don't over think it.

"It's always in the last place you look"

No I usually keep looking for something I've already fucking found.

"You only live once" is a phrase that I hate. People seem to use it as an excuse to do stupid things when it should instead be a reason to, y'know, NOT do stupid things.

Then again, "people" and "stupid things" seem to go together better chocolate and peanut butter, so I guess that's to be expected.

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

I'm pretty sure some things don't kill you but they sure as hell don't make you any stronger..

Daystar Clarion:
'I could care less'

Couldn't.

It's 'I couldnt care less'.

ALL MY HATE!

Wouldn't that work in certain context though.

"So you still wanna go see The Avengers?"
"I could care less."
"Alright lets go."

See it works.

OT: You don't understand. Every freakin month. I understand the cramps are painful and put you in a foul mood, but I didn't spend a hour bitching at you when my leg was broken because you left a shoe in the hall that my crutch caught on sending crashing to the ground. Pain isn't a free pass to be a bitch.

No offense meant to any ladies reading this.

I can think of several.

"It is what it is." - Not only is this a "no shit" kind of saying, but it also creates a sense of almost arrogant dismissal on the part of the person talking. I hate that.

"Irregardless..." - This and any other occasion of someone mispronouncing a common-knowledge saying. Like someone saying "Doggy dog world" instead of "Dog-eat-dog world" or someone saying "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less".

"The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Another "no shit" saying. Yes, you are technically right. However, that does not mean that what you're saying is true either. It's pure conjecture. So stop trying to pass it off as truth. Kind of like someone saying, "You can't prove Big-foot doesn't exist. Therefore he must exist."

"Nobody cares.." - Actually...I'm pretty damn sure at least one person cares. So kindly stop acting as though only your opinion (or absence thereof) is important.

"How can you love someone, or expect someone to love you, if you don't love yourself?" - Bull. You can easily...EASILY...love something or someone and not love yourself. In fact, I tend to trust people who aren't in love with themselves as I find people who are to be arrogant and selfish.

The Diabolical Biz:
A poor craftsman blames his tools.

I mean what the hell is that shit.

That saying is implying that while a poor craftsman blames his tools (for shoddy work), a good craftsman blames himself.

It's saying that an honest person takes the blame for their mistakes while a dishonest person blames others. Frankly, much of todays society could learn from this old saying.

I think a lot of the rage in this thread towards some sayings is due to not quite grasping the meaning behind them. Which is understandable. A lot of the sayings being presented have their origins from upwards of centuries ago.

The classic parental saying, "If [insert best friend's name] jumped off a bridge, would you?!". Really bugs me when it's used as a comparison to some completely incomparable situations.

Also, is there any explanation behind somebody being the "bees knees"? Why the bees knees? Why not he elephants eyebrows. Anyone have an explanation?

Vigormortis:

"The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Another "no shit" saying. Yes, you are technically right. However, that does not mean that what you're saying is true either. It's pure conjecture. So stop trying to pass it off as truth.

While often misused its a legitimate and useful principle.

Vigormortis:

Kind of like someone saying, "You can't prove Big-foot doesn't exist. Therefore he must exist."

Nothing like that at all. It is a sound legal and scientific principle when used correctly. (for example even if a murder suspect cannot be placed at the scene, unless there is sufficient evidence proving them to be elsewhere then its still possible to convict)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked