Sayings that annoy you

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I understand where your coming from but people around where I live (being Hillbilly hell) tend to only use one definition of a word, and most don't recognize that there may be other interpretations of a word. I suppose that it is still my fault in the end but it none the less bothers me.

Edit: This was a reply to whoever quoted me, can't remember what his name was cause I don't really know how to use these forums, or any at all really.

"he/she is a hot mess!"
"Go ahead and knock it out"

Both of these a redneck sayings my mother uses and my step father uses respectively.

All it does, is piss me off. Especially that second one... Imagine having homework every other night, and hearing this phrase. I want to tear my hair out. SHUT THE FUCK UP! I'LL DO IT WHEN I GET TO IT!

Its relatively new (Or at least in my area)

"Are you Jelly/Jell?"

OH MY GOD! When did we all get so lazy that we cant even be bothered to say the whole word "Jealous" any more?

bluegate:

teebeeohh:
blablabla arrow to the knee
it's in the knee

Same as one can take a punch to the stomach, one could take an arrow to the knee, could one not?

I didn't mean to imply that the grammar was wrong but the origin of the meme is the phrase muttered by the guards in skyrim. and they say "in the knee" so if the intention is to redicule that people should at least get the quote right.
unless this is a trolling is a art thing and i totally fell for it

Petromir:

Vigormortis:

"The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Another "no shit" saying. Yes, you are technically right. However, that does not mean that what you're saying is true either. It's pure conjecture. So stop trying to pass it off as truth.

While often misused its a legitimate and useful principle.

Vigormortis:

Kind of like someone saying, "You can't prove Big-foot doesn't exist. Therefore he must exist."

Nothing like that at all. It is a sound legal and scientific principle when used correctly. (for example even if a murder suspect cannot be placed at the scene, unless there is sufficient evidence proving them to be elsewhere then its still possible to convict)

I never said it wasn't. I was pointing out how often it's misused and that, in most cases, someone uses it as a way to prove their point is correct.

Although, I have to point out that your example may not be quite as fitting as you wanted. One of the most common places that that saying is egregiously misused is in court cases. I've seen plenty of prosecutors use that phrase to persuade the jury into convicting; even though the prosecutor didn't have any real evidence proving the defendant was guilty.

The Diabolical Biz:
snip

Fair enough. Under those circumstances I can understand why you'd hate the saying so much. It's very similar to why I dislike hearing "you only live once".

It's a shame it's so often misused. I know a LOT of people that should take the phrase to heart.

in short
If there's a short version, then why did you tell me the long one Mr. Chat?

I suspect these are mostly Brit-centric ones:

"At the end of the day..."
"I'm not being funny, but..."
"To be fair..."
"Fair play to him"

I'll also never understand why chavs mispronounce "asked" as "arksed" and "texts" as "textses".

'If a key opens many locks it's a Masterkey, if a lock is opened my many keys it's a shitty lock.'

Ugh, it pisses me off.

I don't waste my time with people who quote that idiotic fucking thing, especially when they're really smug afterwards. As if it's a really clever analogy they just came up with. No, you're just a douchebag.

Laggyteabag:
Its relatively new (Or at least in my area)

"Are you Jelly/Jell?"

OH MY GOD! When did we all get so lazy that we cant even be bothered to say the whole word "Jealous" any more?

Yeah, I'm pretty much right there too. Any fucking word that has been cut down in this txt spk society is just going to far. I get the impression that people do this in order to sound unique or "cultured" around their hipster friends, but it really comes across as smug and empty.

I hate the whole "that's what she said" phenomenon. It's not bad when it is used VERY RARELY in those contexts where it works so well. When you start spouting it after every other sentence your friends say, you're a douche.

"Liberal Media"
(My normal responce:) Just because they don't support your views on putting a Mexican zapper on the border and turing gay people into soylent green, doesn't make them liberal.

There is a liberal media, but there's also moderate media. There's media spanning the whole spectrum. Just because they don't agree with you doesn't make them liberal or even communists or in-league with the devil.

Jakub324:
'The night is darkest just before the dawn.' GRRRRR! No, it fucking isn't! I'm sure humanity could come up with a better metaphor, one that actually works!

I was gonna post this it annoys the the piss out of me. The night is darkest in the the middle of the night and gradually brightens before dawn

Definitely "What you don't know can't hurt you." Do I even have to explain this?

I don't ever really encounter it directly but in any form, it makes me an angry little guy.

Xartyve2:
"You're a troll"

Any time I see this phrase the population of homeless people near my house decreases dramatically.

Well, you have to be a bit fair with this one, dude. There are TRUCKLOADS of trolls on the internetz and they're everywhere.

Daystar Clarion:
'I could care less'

Couldn't.

It's 'I couldnt care less'.

ALL MY HATE!

But I could. I care even less about your nitpicks. :D

OT: "They're just words..."

Thanks. You've just demeaned language as a whole.

When someone is wrong (usually a girl for some reason - dunno why), it seems for some reason like it's perfectly okay to say "Just kidding~" in a sing-song voice.

Like you knew you were f***ing wrong the whole f****ucking time! It wouldn't annoy me at all if I thought she actually DID know what she was talking about *grumble*

Oh, and sticks and stones. Something tells me the idiot who wrote that had never been bullied properly. Lord above, words can hurt =(

"It's just an opinion / Opinions can't be wrong."
- It's not -just- an opinion if you're trying persuade someone else of something. That's an attempt to change someone's way of thinking. As such, don't be surprised when it's contested.
- Opinions are not above scrutiny. An opinion can be offensive and ignorant. Rephrasing something hateful or stupid as an opinion doesn't make it any less hateful or stupid.
- Even if we accept "Opinions can't be wrong", there's nothing to suggest that the reasons one forms an opinion can't be wrong.

"This isn't English/Economics/etc class."
- I wasn't aware that our capacity to draw on knowledge is tied to some physical place. It may just be me, but taking pride in forgetting everything you learned once class is over doesn't seem that awesome to me.

"Just deal with it."
- People who say this are always upset/annoyed when I follow their instructions. They don't seem to grasp what this sentence is asking someone to do.
- More often than not I am in the process of dealing with it when this is said to me. This confrontation - yeah, that's dealing with it.

"Life sucks! Teaching kids otherwise is lying to them and will leave them vulnerable to the REAL world!" /emo
- Teaching people positive things doesn't mean that we're teaching them to be ignorant of negative things.
- It's ignorant to assume that because your experience (and perhaps what the media/internet tells you) typifies every culture, individual and/or community everywhere. Shockingly, not everyone is a villain.
- Being cynical is not a sign of maturity.

"That's gay!" (When used as a synonym for "That's something I don't like/am not happy with"
- Your essay/missed bus/problem is homosexual and/or happy?
- It's a misuse of the word that has never made sense to me.

I could do without some of the geek culture catchphrases like "butthurt" and "nerd rage" especially when used as ad hominem in an attempt to invalidate someone's argument:

PersonA: "Mass Effect 3 sucks ballz, EA always ruins good IP!"
PersonB: "Oh, quit nerd raging because yer butthurt over the ending."

I defy you to find the douchier bag in that conversation...

"This might sound stupid but..."

If you preface what you're saying with that...then yes...no matter what follows that, it is stupid. I have yet to ever hear a reasonable or rational statement follow that. Ever. Usually it's followed with questions asking if you can use a sump pump to move diesel fuel, or if you can lay tile on a pressure treated deck.

Jakub324:
'The night is darkest just before the dawn.' GRRRRR! No, it fucking isn't! I'm sure humanity could come up with a better metaphor, one that actually works!

Water always shrinks in volume just before it expands into ice.
(‿)

When people say shit like, "Obvious troll is obvious." or any form of that.

To me, this isn't exactly a saying but a word: Swag. Who the hell came up with this? It just sounds so damn stupid whenever people say it, usually in order to act all smug or "cool".
Most of the time, people don't even know what it means. What does it represent? The word is used everywhere now, and it grinds into my head every time I hear it.

When someone says "You didn't want it enough." when someone doesn't win a contest/conflict, as it ignores the possibility that the other contestants/opponents had access to superior equipment, training,assistants or natural talent, every one of which is far more likely than losing because of one's lack of a sufficient level of desire for victory.
"Man up." is equally annoying since it assumes that valor/bravery or stoicism are traits somehow more closely connected to masculinity or manhood than womanhood or femininity.

Thank you for your contribution, Captcha. "face the music" is a somewhat annoying phrase, as it almost makes music sounds like a bad thing.

"We have dismissed that claim."

Arnoxthe1:
Definitely "What you don't know can't hurt you." Do I even have to explain this?

Generally that saying is used in a specific contexts, as sometimes merely being privy to knowledge can leave you legally or morally liable for certain things. Similarly, sometimes people will say it as justification to do something behind another's back. While I don't find that to be good justification, it makes some degree of sense. If you see someone using that phrase as justification for total ignorance then they're using it wrong.

Xeraxis:
To me, this isn't exactly a saying but a word: Swag. Who the hell came up with this? It just sounds so damn stupid whenever people say it, usually in order to act all smug or "cool".
Most of the time, people don't even know what it means. What does it represent? The word is used everywhere now, and it grinds into my head every time I hear it.

Bite your tongue! Without swag we would have never bore witness to this piece of comedy gold

"This, too, shall pass."

Don't know why exactly. Could be that it's just smarmy and dismissive.

Has anyone mentioned this doozie yet?

"Everything happens for a reason."

Get the fuck away from me with this insipid, pseudo-spiritual drivel.

"Her brother died." (Because he was hit by a car) (The car was being driven by an inebriated person) (This impact was fatal due to mass, momentum, and the composition of the two objects involved) (The impact caused major tissue trauma in the organic object, which is why it perished)

"Live, Laugh, Love."

Translated:

"I lack a personality."

"To each his own."

I live in Germany and here this phrase (in german: "jedem das seine") is used a lot. What people seem to have forgotten is that it is written on the main gate of Buchenwald concentration camp - readable from the inside of the camp.

Pisses me off every time I hear it.

I'm really sick of this whole "That awkward moment when" thing. Not only is the phrase overused, but 90% of the time, the stuff that follows it isn't awkward at all. I can't really put my finger on why it irritates me so much, but it really is remarkably obnoxious.

Personally, when someone prefaces a statement with "you do realize".

a.) the only time I've heard this said is when someone clearly does not think the person they're talking to is privy to the bit of knowledge they're about to impart, thus it exists almost entirely for the purpose of being derisive and condescending.

b.) it's almost exclusively spoken in an obnoxiously snide tone.

c.) the person speaking it almost always lacks guts or wit, despite usually possessing a sense of illusory superiority.

The last time I heard someone say this I ended up punching them in the face even though they weren't actually directing their statement towards me. Note that I've only ever punched two people solely for being assholes. It just really rubs me the wrong way.

Dr.Panties:

"Her brother died." (Because he was hit by a car) (The car was being driven by an inebriated person) (This impact was fatal due to mass, momentum, and the composition of the two objects involved) (The impact caused major tissue trauma in the organic object, which is why it perished)

To be fair, he did die for a reason: getting hit by a car.

axlryder:

Dr.Panties:

Yes, that was the angle of my post.

Dr.Panties:

axlryder:

Dr.Panties:

Yes, that was the angle of my post.

Ah, well, as you clearly understood the context of the saying, I figured you were just denouncing the religious aspect, but I guess you were trying to do a humorous bit by suddenly taking it literally without any context for doing so? Sort of playing off of yourself? Maybe that's a thing now.

Yet, in that more obvious context, I could see the statement being reinterpreted as motivation for one to try and address the reason for something happening as opposed to the whole "God's plan" angle. As in:

"I lost my keys again".

"Everything happens for a reason", i.e., maybe get a better key-chain and pay more attention to your damn keys because clearly they're not wandering off. It's honestly a much less obnoxious sounding phrase when played off that way.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked