31.1% (96)
31.1% (96)
Sci fi
38.8% (120)
38.8% (120)
I hate them both
0.3% (1)
0.3% (1)
I like them both (due to popular demand)
29.4% (91)
29.4% (91)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: That old question Fantasy or Sci fi

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Personally I prefer Fantasy because with Fantasy, you usually get to see more of the world the story is set in. Star Wars for example is guilty of this crime, all the planets have only one kind of environment(Tatooine:Desert Dagobah:Swamp Hoth:Tundra Naboo:huge grassy field), just looking at our own planet shows this is unrealistic, because we have a lot of different environments. With Fantasy you get to see all the diverse varied aspects of the world, not just one kind.

Sci fi is too brief for me when you explore a world you only see a city or a small area, of the planet. I usually do not get too see as much as I would have liked (I am the person who cant move on in an adventure game until they have searched every room in the area, I WANT TO SEE IT ALL).

Fighting in Sci fi is not as good for me, because there are generally GUNS. Guns take all the fun out of combat for me. With swords and stuff YOU CAN HAVE A FIGHT. With guns it is just point, aim, blam then dead. That is not really fighting it is just killing without the challenge or build up. (I am aware that characters in these things don't usually die from one shot, but the gun is too powerful and takes all the length out of fights)

I am to set the record straight a Sci fi lover, for example I love Mass Effect (except the ending) and I love WH40k. I just find I generally prefer fantasy, because of those three above reasons.
I have not added a "I like them both" option to the poll because I want you to choose one or the other, but you can dislike both them of course. Whatever your choice please give a reason why. And for those of you who delight in picking apart OP's arguments, that's fine but please contribute to the discussion as well.

verdant monkai:
Fighting in Sci fi is not as good for me, because there are generally GUNS.

This is my main reason for liking fantasy over sci-fi, not necessarily 'cause swords are better but because MAGIC. Fireballs! People turning into bears and biting their enemies' heads off! Heck yeah!

And sure, in sci-fi you can have gadgets and stuff that are techno-mage-y, but they spoil it by having to make it realistic and plausable by giving it sciencey reasons for being able to work. With fantasy it's just I AM A BEING OF PURE AWESOMENESS HAVE SOME LIGHTENING BOLTS.

... Perhaps I am a simple soul who likes simple things...

The poll does not specify fantasy or sci fi what, so I went with "sci fi". From your post it seems you're talking about games...in which case I would have probably chosen "fantasy".

I prefer sci fi over fantasy, because I've grew up reading it. My father and my uncle (form my mother's side) are both fans of sci fi, so I had ple-e-enty of books and materials to read. Fantasy I don't mind, but I find it a little bit on the bland side.

And that's reversed in games. Fantasy games usually have richer and more detailed setting (although a variation of Tolkien, it's still detailed) while sci fi, on the whole, would go for richer and more detailed lasers that go pew pew. Or equivalent.

In the words of Yahtzee "Mass Effect features a race of all female bisexuals culturally obliged to bang anything that moves." So yeah Sci fi. On a more serious note I just grew up watching Star Trek and The twilight zone, and to me Sci Fi just seams more varied. I mean when you say Sci fi a few things come to mind The twilight zone, Star trek, Star Wars, as well as all of Isaac Asimov. In contrast when I hear fantasy I think Lord of the Rings, and bastard offspring. Don't get me wrong I like lord of the rings but it's too common.

DoPo:
The poll does not specify fantasy or sci fi what, so I went with "sci fi". From your post it seems you're talking about games...in which case I would have probably chosen "fantasy".

I prefer sci fi over fantasy, because I've grew up reading it. My father and my uncle (form my mother's side) are both fans of sci fi, so I had ple-e-enty of books and materials to read. Fantasy I don't mind, but I find it a little bit on the bland side.

And that's reversed in games. Fantasy games usually have richer and more detailed setting (although a variation of Tolkien, it's still detailed) while sci fi, on the whole, would go for richer and more detailed lasers that go pew pew. Or equivalent.

I just meant generally like books/films/games. I did talk about Games a bit so I can see how that may be a tad uninformative. But this is in an off topic thread so come on.

NOTICE FOR ALL: This is about Sci fi and Fantasy in general not just Games.

Although I do enjoy most, my primary setting is sci-fi. I just generally prefer starships over armies, coilguns instead or bows, and powerfists (if applicable) over any normal swords.

I enjoy both. While I may read, watch or play more sci-fi I still love Fantasy.

I'm more of a fantasy guy, but a very specific kind of fantasy. Girly men in their teenage years lifting swords twice their own size is what I would call silly.

Where's the option for liking them both? I'd be just as likely to pick up something by Tolkien as I would Arthur C Clarke.

At the moment I am going through a Sci-Fi kick (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is an excellent read) so with the limited options available I'll choose that.

Hasn't this thread been done?
Very recently?
Meh, I prefer sci fi. Just because any situation is improved with jet packs.

RedBird:
Hasn't this thread been done?
Very recently?
Meh, I prefer sci fi. Just because any situation is improved with jet packs.

I think that was Tolkein or star wars. This is more general.
So no. It has not been done very recently.
Must everyone on this website constantly quote Yhatzee?

Erja_Perttu:
Where's the option for liking them both? I'd be just as likely to pick up something by Tolkien as I would Arthur C Clarke.

At the moment I am going through a Sci-Fi kick (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is an excellent read) so with the limited options available I'll choose that.

Check my OP I give a reason why in there

Sci-fi is a subgenre of fantasy...
But I prefer "traditional" fantasy more so than sci-fi.

Novels I prefer fantasy

Game I go for sci-fi or whateverpunk but I sometimes get the fantasy urge

Favourite game is still Oblivion though

sci fi

I dont know...high fantsy feels so samey

and you could say exactally the same about sci fi..I think its jsut pure preferwence, it jsut does somthing for me the other doesnt...I feel more comfortable wirh a sci fi setting

Depends, the two are large genres.

In any case, Star Wars is often described as science fantasy, because there isn't any science in it. Sticking robots and stuff doesn't make you sci-fi, explaining how at least some of it works would have. Which they did with midichlorians in the prequel, and everyone hated it.

Now, I personally happen to like science fantasy, that's not an attack.

Personally, though, I happen to like hard sci fi, otherwise the author tends to make something magically appear to solve a problem. Hard sci-fi also tends to have better world-building.

Mind you, the distinction is pretty vague. If you have a fantasy world with wizards and elves and dwarfs and you aren't just ripping off Tolkien, really, but your geoloy and sociology and all makes sense, well, they are sciences as well.

I like them both but I find fantasy easier to get into since you're not dealing with any techno-babble. It's always fun combining them together.

I like my sci fi high concept and my fantasy low and gritty. I want to be challenged and questioned with the first. And I want knights who say "fuck" alot with the second.

verdant monkai:
snip

I was about half-way through that post thinking... dude, you're a WH40K player, you can totally have fights in sci-fi, what do you think's better at taking a Marine down, a bolt pistol or a Crozius?! =P Besides, in SW:KotOR, I don't think I fired a single shot at all...

OT: It really depends on the medium.

Games - I like both, because the approach is, for the most part, identical with skills, aspects of setting, and so long as the gameworld is rich with detail, the gamplay smooth and story engaging, I won't really care if it's sci-fi or fantasy.

Movies - Sci-fi, for the simple reason that fantasy characters with American accents just seems so wrong, if only because of the trope that fantasy characters all come from middle-England which is so deeply ingrained that I can't get out of it. But it's also that up until about 1940, the prestige dialect of the States was RP English and they have no tradition of mythology to call their own, hence the Anglo-European centrism of the (western) fantasy genre.

Books - Fantasy, this one's rather difficult, because it's primarily about the writing style. Sci-fi writing is often visceral, while fantasy is mostly intellectual. While there have been sci-fi books I've enjoyed, they just haven't got the incidence of enjoyment that fantasy does. And for all China Mieville is an awesome writer, I can't seem to have fun reading his books.

Composition - Sci-fi, mainly because I've invested so much of my life developing a futuristic universe and canon that any fantasy I try to write is inevitably influenced by this universe, and always to its detriment. *le sigh*

I like science fantasy.
Alien wizards shooting it out with tolkeinian orcs? Fuck. Yes.

Both, but I tend to lean to the Sci-fi side. I really am stating to get sick of the usual elves and Dwarves style of fantasy, though. I agree with Yahtzee's opinion on fantasy nowadays, we need more variety. Not that Sci-fi is a fountain of originality all of the time, but spaceships are way cooler than horses.

I wish that we could see more of a mix between the two. I've always liked Shadowrun because it incorporates both technology and magic into the same world. I would love to see more stuff that does stuff like that.

Both. But I don't really like high fantasy, magic is bleh and having wizards ride dragons and shoot fireballs is IMHO way to stupid and comicbooky for me to enjoy.

I like sci-fi by which I mean actual decent sci-fi none of that psychic power nonsense

Love em' both. But in most cases i prefer sci-fi over fantasy.

It really depends. I prefer Fantasy over the Mass Effect kind of sci-fi, what with the space ships and what not, but my favorite game of all time is Fallout 3, which I guess is sci-fi? Like I said, it depends. There's lots of different types of each.

SckizoBoy:

verdant monkai:
snip

I was about half-way through that post thinking... dude, you're a WH40K player, you can totally have fights in sci-fi, what do you think's better at taking a Marine down, a bolt pistol or a Crozius?! =P Besides, in SW:KotOR, I don't think I fired a single shot at all...

That's assuming you call those sci-fi and not fantasy. A lot of stuff in those universes are flat out magic.

Seriously, they can both be awesome. I love the setting's of Starwars, Mass Effect AND the Lord of the Rings, The Witcher etc.

And ofcourse those that combine the two like Warhammer 40000 and Hellgate: London. (say what you will about the game but those knights looked freaking awesome)

I prefer the fantasy look since I like the rugged, hand made look as oppose to the sleek and hi-tech look in Sci Fi.
Sure some Sci-fi can be rugged but I also find the setting in fantasy somewhat more relatable as I have been in the woods and entering a cave (so it sort of feel familiar) while I have not yet enter into outer space yet.

When push comes to shove, and specially in RPGs I do like Fantasy a bit more. Give me any Final Fantasy before XIII over the mass effect saga and I won't complain.

But there are exceptions, for example, Chrono Trigger.

Sci-fi, A thousand time over.

Reasons:

Fantasy tends to be very poorly written. It's adherence to generic lot structure and overused character archetypes make it very dull to read or watch.

Sci-fi tends to be less burdened with genre convention.

Sci-fi can expose terrifying truths about our world and it's near future. Fantasy can tell us about things like suffering and hope and love, but I prefer the immediacy of sci-fi.

Sci-Fi is improbable possibility, fantasy is plausible impossiblilty. Sci-fi is therefore slightly more applicable, i think.

I dislike elves, goblins, dwarves and rangers

I like them both. a project im working on combines elements of scifi (futuristic guns, machines, and vehicles) and fantasy (magical powers, all powerful goddess', massive energy blasts, superhuman abilities, magic (yes actual magic us humans can perform in it), different races like Naga's, Centuars, harpies, sirens, angels, succubi and incubi, Mermaids, etc) huge masses of devastation caused by powers, an overarching huge threat in the form of an all powerful god, destiny...stuff like that)

thaluikhain:
That's assuming you call those sci-fi and not fantasy. A lot of stuff in those universes are flat out magic.

True... but it is generally a case of semantics and personal definitions (within reason) of what constitutes sci-fi or fantasy. The point here being whether you define the lack of restriction of an individual's non-technologically enhanced physical capabilities within a futuristic (or at least with the trappings of a futuristic) setting as still sci-fi. It's a difficult one and it would raise the question of: how would the Marvel franchises be defined?

Setting just happens to be the easiest way of pigeonholing the two, while 'in universe laws of what can and cannot be done' (distinct from what may and may not be done) are more difficult to judge due to the potentially infinite variation and extent from one canon to another. For example, to me, telekinesis/telepathy are both sci-fi and fantasy (of course, each with different slants and terminology, but their core definitions remain the same, and while technology can be used to enhance, they cannot imbue), while teleporting (or rather its analogous) is purely fantasy, because its restrictions come not from the ability of the individual alone, but the technology of the fictional world.

But in the end it's all fiction and if it's an enjoyable experience, I wouldn't really give a flying fuck... *shrug*

Sci-fi. I enjoy older fantasy writers - Tolkein, Fritz Leiber, Michael Moorcock - but modern fantasy feels utterly generic to me. It's all Book this of the That Trilogy set in the Kingdom of Bleh where the Dark Lord of Meh has returned and...

SckizoBoy:

verdant monkai:
snip

Oh I know you can have fights in Sci Fi, its just that I find fighting in Fantasy infinitely more interesting. It is different in WH40k and games I know, but in films and books they don't have to give characters that chance, to not die otherwise the game wont be fun. No the characters just die, because they get shot.

I also play Warhammer fantasy (vmpr counts) but I prefer the 40k combat system (it is sooo much better). Another interesting point is that bullets are not that much of a problem in games, you can shrug off being shot in the head or chest without much of a problem. But in films n books characters feel the full effect of guns.

It comes down to this I like Sci fi GAMES, but I usually am not so keen on the rest of Sci fi (with exceptions like40k and ME2).
But I pretty much like all the sorts of fantasy stuff.

Oh and I'm going to go with the crozius XD

SckizoBoy:

thaluikhain:

True... but it is generally a case of semantics and personal definitions (within reason) of what constitutes sci-fi or fantasy. The point here being whether you define the lack of restriction of an individual's non-technologically enhanced physical capabilities within a futuristic (or at least with the trappings of a futuristic) setting as still sci-fi. It's a difficult one and it would raise the question of: how would the Marvel franchises be defined?

Well, they use the term "science fantasty", but I tend to think it's a bit restricting to have to fit a nice pigeonhole.

That way of thinking leads to having to do the same as everyone else, because people don't like the rules broken. Heaven help you if you try to make a vampire or zombie different...sure they don't exist, but everyone knows what they are really like, and get confused and upset if you change them. So many people seemed to hate Twilight because the vampires were different, not because the vampires (and everything else) were terrible.

Anthony Wells:
I like them both. a project im working on combines elements of scifi (futuristic guns, machines, and vehicles) and fantasy (magical powers, all powerful goddess', massive energy blasts, superhuman abilities, magic (yes actual magic us humans can perform in it), different races like Naga's, Centuars, harpies, sirens, angels, succubi and incubi, Mermaids, etc) huge masses of devastation caused by powers, an overarching huge threat in the form of an all powerful god, destiny...stuff like that)

Whut sort of project? it sound like final fantasy 13 to me.

usually I stay the hell away from Sci fi/Fantasy (it is like mixing acid and face, the end result is an abomination). But I may be willing to give whatever you are doing a chance.

Elmoth:

Seriously, they can both be awesome. I love the setting's of Starwars, Mass Effect AND the Lord of the Rings, The Witcher etc.

And ofcourse those that combine the two like Warhammer 40000 and Hellgate: London. (say what you will about the game but those knights looked freaking awesome)

Because that will defeat the point of my question. I need to know which you prefer. Everyone likes one more than the other, seriously I said why in my op.

I don't care if you think they are both good.

I want to know which you prefer.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked