Clannad: Am I missing something?

Now, don't get me wrong, I've absolutely fallen in love with this anime. It's excellent, and within the space of a day, I've gotten to episode 22, however, whenever someone mentions it, they go on about how sad it is. Sad. Really? It's quite a happy, slice of life anime, almost like a NORMAL Haruhi Suzumiya. There's no shockingly emotional moments, like in Elfen Lied, while it IS very touching. So, am I just emotionally crippled, or simply missing something?

Wait. Keep watching.

There are sad bit's in the first season of Clannad but seriously, the sad part's everyone is referring to are in the second season, Clannad: After Story.

So yes, just keep on plowing through and you'll see, no way will I spoil it for you.

EDIT: And don't try and search up anything about it online, just some advice. I had some bit's spoiled for me and they still affected me, but it was annoying that I got spoiled.

Just...
Keep watching. Yeah. After story is decimating. Permanently warped my emotional life.

And if you google it, there will be spoilers, and you will hate yourself for it.

Well, haven't seen Clannad, but a review on the source material seem to point to it following a progression of setting up happiness before getting you to tear up by tearing it all down... as well as being somewhat overwrought and manipulatory in how it goes about all this moelicious heart tugging.

You're probably still in the build up phase.

Jonluw:
Just...
Keep watching. Yeah. After story is decimating. Permanently warped my emotional life.

And if you google it, there will be spoilers, and you will hate yourself for it.

This.
Don't. Google. It.
And watch it till the end.

you need to see after story to get it.
It's just, just I can't go into it. Just keep watching

opens thread.. i like clannad how can you not like.. its an anime?

http://www.clannad.ie/ <- clannad irish band

The first season wasn't all that sad. Had a few moments but that was it really. The second half of the second season hit me like a sledgehammer though. It's where the anime moves from a generic if well executed school drama to being something genuinely exceptional.

Zenron:
The first season wasn't all that sad. Had a few moments but that was it really. The second half of the second season hit me like a sledgehammer though. It's where the anime moves from a generic if well executed school drama to being something genuinely exceptional.

Jonluw:

Zenron:

I am staying the fuck away from that spoiler tag, as if it were the bubonic bloody plague. I don't want anything spoiled for me, especially now that I know that something big happens...

I even went as far as to delete the contents without looking. _

KaosuHamoni:

Jonluw:

Zenron:

I am staying the fuck away from that spoiler tag, as if it were the bubonic bloody plague. I don't want anything spoiled for me, especially now that I know that something big happens...

That's really for the best.
You should make a new thread when you've finished the series. Tell us what you think.
Do it nao!

Jonluw:

KaosuHamoni:

Jonluw:

You should make a new thread when you've finished the series. Tell us what you think.
Do it nao!

After I've finished After Story of course... I've only just finished the first series... >.>

KaosuHamoni:

Jonluw:

KaosuHamoni:

Do it nao!

After I've finished After Story of course... I've only just finished the first series... >.>

Of course.
I just watched the opening scene of the first episode...
Nostalgic.
And fuck is it powerful.

Jonluw:

Zenron:

Oh man you just had to go and make me cry didn't you?

You sick monster!

Flamezdudes:

Jonluw:

Zenron:

You sick monster!

I'm horrible. I know.
I just get so much satisfaction from other people's pain.

Bearing so many similarities to Tomoya, and with Nagisa reminding me so strongly of my fiancee, this series really struck home. I really genuinely cried my eyes out for a few episodes straight (and I didn't even cry when my grandmother died, having been so desensitized to death.)

At a time where maybe I was starting to take my relationship for granted, Clannad made me re-evaluate my life. It made me cherish what I have. It made me cry for what I've lost. It made me want to reconcile with my estranged mother (my version of Tomoya's father....)

It was so personal. I wasn't WATCHING it, I was LIVING it.

And this is why it's my favorite anime of all time. It speaks to me. I connect with it. And it takes me on the kind of emotional trip that I just can't get anywhere else.

yeah... keep going... Just be careful. The end kinda makes you want to kill yourself...

worse for me, i watched the series shuffle and yeah... don't do that...

Jonluw:

Flamezdudes:

Jonluw:

You sick monster!

I'm horrible. I know.

Son of a...

Yeah... I watched that scene for the first time since finishing the entire series last month too, it really hit's harder than the first time.

Also, did you know there is an official english dub now? It's erm... well... take a look. This is the english dub version of the same opening scene.

Flamezdudes:

Jonluw:

Flamezdudes:

You sick monster!

I'm horrible. I know.

Son of a...

Yeah... I watched that scene for the first time since finishing the entire series last month too, it really hit's harder than the first time.

Also, did you know there is an official english dub now? It's erm... well... take a look. This is the english dub version of the same opening scene.

I heard a couple of lines from the dub when it was first released.
Since then, I've managed to erase the memory of how it sounded from my mind.
I'd rather it wasn't reawakened.

Minus a few small flaws (which are largely isolated in Kotomi's arc, incidentally) Clannad's dub was actually very good, and I like it over the japanese version. There's some scenes that are just plain better in english thanks to some minor translation liberties. Episode 13 of After Story's comedic incident, anyone?

Flaw 1: Kotomi calls Kyou Tomoyo in the clubroom once.
Flaw 2: Childhood flashback? Teenager voices. This is actually hilarious.

Flaw 3: Assorted small things, mostly from Sanae's mouth, like Dang-o instead of Don-go (I know it's spelled dango in english) or once mispronouncing her own name in an introduction (Sun-ay? No, it's Sa-nye!)

No, no ,no, no, no... No...

Second season good sir... Just second season

I couldn't even get past the fucking 14th or so episode. I had to stop to prevent metal scarring. The foreshadowing was painfully obvious

And how they go "lol RL fucking sucks" on all the characters is realllllly depressing, high school animes shouldn't be able to pull this shit off so well XP

Wellz, back to Medaka('s) Box (they finally made an anime of it! *squeeeee*) to cleanse myself of all the angst that just remembering Clannad puts me through, need to get into the manga again... I remember how it jumps the shark in a rather amazingly awesome fashion after the first few arcs.

It went down rather well as shark jumping goes actually... Like how they make her put some fucking clothes on XD

See? As soon as Clannad comes up I have to derail the thread change the subject to take my mind off it...

The first season isn't necessarily sad.

After Story, on the other hand, gets downright depressing.

Ah, Clannad. That show was really sad. I didn't cry though, I just swore at my tv through the second half of season 2. Its not fair.

Also, the very end is bullshit. You'll see what I mean.

Loved Clannad :)
Such a great anime, After Story was so freaking depressing though ;____;

Anyone know similar good animes like this one?

I want to know how you got through Fuuko's arc (the first 8-9 eps) without crying. Seriously. HOW.

The rest was kinda meh and After Story made me hate Tomoya.

I never finished Clannad because I thought the first season was stupid and annoying, and none of the characters were remotely likeable. However, everyone is pretty insistent that it will be sad later. I almost want to watch it just to see what the fuss is about, but I don't have the time to waste.

Haven't ever gotten around to watchin after story, however I remember watchin season 1 on netflix and there bein an extra episode at the end which was...really weird.

evilneko:
I want to know how you got through Fuuko's arc (the first 8-9 eps) without crying. Seriously. HOW.

This too. I remember watchin that arc and seriously cryin at the end of it. Then I got pissy because they turned her character into a comedic act for absolutely no fuckin reason.

After Story is incredibly sad. The original isn't TOO sad, but After Story had me crying quite a bit. Nagisa really grew on me throughout After Story. I was thoroughly convinced that Tomoyo was the one for Tomoya before After Story, but after it...

shintakie10:
Haven't ever gotten around to watchin after story, however I remember watchin season 1 on netflix and there bein an extra episode at the end which was...really weird.

evilneko:

This too. I remember watchin that arc and seriously cryin at the end of it. Then I got pissy because they turned her character into a comedic act for absolutely no fuckin reason.

Well, given Clannad's origin as a viz novel/dating sim with multiple routes... yeah. Didn't you notice?

VincentX3:
Loved Clannad :)
Such a great anime, After Story was so freaking depressing though ;____;

Anyone know similar good animes like this one?

Look at other anime adapted from early visual novels by Key such as Kanon and Air, they are not quite as good but they are similar and well worth watching.

evilneko:

shintakie10:

evilneko:

Well, given Clannad's origin as a viz novel/dating sim with multiple routes... yeah. Didn't you notice?

I probably should have guessed that, but totally didnt. That totally makes sense though.

Yeah, you need to watch the second season to get it. I watched the movie first and I've gotta say it's the most depressing thing I've ever seen. I really struggled going to the next episode when I got further through the second season because I knew how sad it was.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked