Did you watch any animes as a kid...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Sean Hollyman:
And you didn't even know what an anime was?

I grew up on Voltron and a couple of other Westernised animes before "anime" was a commonly thrown around word in this country. My dad actually showed my brother and I a couple anime when we were really young, but I don't remember if he called them anime. He's a geek so maybe.

I only remember Voltron (GoLion, with heavy changes), Tranzor Z (Mazinger Z) and Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs (Star Musketeer Bizmark), if those count. The former and the latter heavily recut the stories of the original for sure (Both redone by the same company, so no shock). I don't even remember Tranzor Z well enough to talk about whether it was faithful to the original.

with fatherly amusement, from the rocking chair:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Future#Anime

I remember watching shows like Pokemon, Digimon, Cardcaptors, Samurai Pizza Cats, Dragonball Z... And that's all I can really remember...

Quite a few, actually. Despite me being sheltered by my parents, I managed to watch Sailor Moon, Samurai Pizza Cats, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Dragon Ball Z.

Does Transformers RID/Armada/Energon count?
Also watched a leetle bit of Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon but that was it.

Avatar: The Last Airbender, and Samurai Jack. Good shit. I also once caught an episode of DBZ, and it confused the hell outta me. Nowadays, I like it. Back then, no understanding.

Dragonball Z, Digimon, Pokémon, a bit of Beyblade, and Gundam Wing naturally. I had no idea what anime was at the time, but I loved watching some of those series.

Casual Shinji:

But at that age a cartoon was simply a cartoon.

Exacty. And there were a lot of series that I still have no idea of whether or not they were anime because of Dutch dubbing. Alfred Jodocus Kwak and Boes anime? How strange...

Where I come from Heidi, Marco, Willy Fog, Dogtagnan were always cultural landmarks. A really, really popular one was Captain Tsubasa though here we always called it Champions or Oliver and Benji. That show is so iconic everybody knows what it's about and it pretty much shaped our cultural identity.

Sean Hollyman:
And you didn't even know what an anime was?

I watched a lot of Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z, but I had no idea they were Japanese lol

obligatory ;D

Sailor Moon was the shit, and I stil ladore DBZ

Sailor Moon and DBZ here too. I also watched a series called Technoman... and while that garners mental images like:

It was actually:

And it was fucking awesome. Think Starship Troopers meets Gundam/Guyver.

I also watched Evangelion... I was far too young to grasp half the shit that was going on.

Film wise I watched Akira and that makes as much sense now as it did then (none).

Ghost in the Shell is still one of my all time favourite films... let alone anime. I watched it when I was 13 and it blew me away. I bought the DvD a few years ago and it blew me away again when I was able to comprehend half the stuff going on.

The Toonami block that I watched every day after school went Dragonball, DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho and Samurai X, in that order. Kinda super awesome for me at the time.

When I was a wee sprat, a friend of the family brought back a bunch of Miyazaki tapes from Japan. Even with nary a subtitle I was awestruck by these films (Laputa, Totoro, Nausicaa). Whenever I asked my dad about them he called them Japanese cartoons.
So for the longest time whenever I saw anime on TV, that's what I thought of it as.

Pretty much everything that was on Toonami I watched.

So...

Dragon Ball Z (what kid didn't watch this show?)
Sailor Moon
Big O
Tenchi Muyo
Yu Yu Hakusho
Outlaw Star
Gundam Wing (and pretty much all Gundam series actually)
Ruroni Kenshin (or however the hell you spell it)
Ronin Warriors
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Pokemon
Yu-Gi-Oh
Digimon

Though I don't think Yu-Gi-Oh and Digimon were ever on Toonami... think they were on the KidsWB on Saturdays or something like that. Ah well, still watched it. I also watched quite a bit of Speed Racer. Though I can't remember what channel I watched it on.

Oh, and Studio Ghibli movies.

And that's about it. At least, that's what I can remember watching. I'd say it was a pretty good childhood.

Pokemon, Yugioh, Sailor Moon, and Card Captors Sakura were the only ones I watched that I can remember. Absolutely loved 'em. Hated DBZ because it was just a big testosterone fest, and I couldn't be assed to give a damn about it.

GundamSentinel:
Dragonball Z, Digimon, Pokémon, a bit of Beyblade, and Gundam Wing naturally. I had no idea what anime was at the time, but I loved watching some of those series.

Casual Shinji:

But at that age a cartoon was simply a cartoon.

Exacty. And there were a lot of series that I still have no idea of whether or not they were anime because of Dutch dubbing. Alfred Jodocus Kwak and Boes anime? How strange...

Don't forget Dommel, another anime based on a none-Japanese property. In all three of these cases the animation is very much Japanese, but a lot of the concept and character design and story supervision is Dutch/Belgium, I think.

And from what I've seen the animation in Alfred J. Kwak is very similar to that in The Moomins. The scripts and storyboards for both shows were done by the same Japanese guy.

One Piece
Bo bo Bo Bo Bo Bo Bo
Yugi Oh
Pokemon
Transformers Armada
Naruto
Samurai Jack
I find it weird that now a days I despise Anime seeing how much I watched of it as a kid.

As a child I watched Pokemon, Beyblade, Yu-Gi-Oh and Dragonball Z/GT

Dragonball Z
Outlaw Star
Cowboy Bebop
Tenchi Muyo
Pokemon
Beyblade
One Piece
Naruto
Digimon
Yu-Gi-Oh
Duel Masters
Escaflone...or however you spell it.
Cardcaptors(the theme song of which I can't get out of my fucking head now...)

Probably a few more too. Of course back then I didn't know of the concept of "Anime", I just thought they were kick-ass cartoons. Hell, I still watch a couple of them to this day and Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop are always worth a re-watch.

There was also the time when I was around 14 or 15 and a friend of mine showed me Urotsukidōji....my mind was opened that day.

Zoids, DBZ, Yu-Gi-Oh, Sonic X and pokemon were about the only shows I watched that were anime.

You guys are making me feel old...

Thundercats
Voltron
Starzinger
um...
Ullyses
Project AKO
Bubblegum Crisis
and Dominion Tank Police.

I think That's most of them.

Oh and I used to watch Flying Island of Laputa and Totoro over and over. I guess technically Ghostbusters and Dungeons and Dragons was anime too.

Original Dragonball. Then my sister caught on to Sailor Moon. Then DBZ came along, Pokemon, Digimon, Monster Rancher and Gundam Wing. My childhood in a nutshell.

i watched Yu-Gi-Oh constantly (and sometimes still do. original series though)
and Pokemon sometimes along with DBZ. and Gundam something or other

EDIT: THUNDERRRRRRRRS!

purf:
with fatherly amusement, from the rocking chair:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Future#Anime

This. OMG, this!
Drat, that's a long time ago. I loved that series.

I used to love DBZ but it often conflicted with the TV shows my parents watched, so I hardly ever got to watch it. I remember watching Cardcaptors every day after school, Beyblade, Yu Gi Oh, Pokemon. I saw the first episode of Cowboy Beebop but to be honest I couldn't tell the difference between it and Gundam. Does anyone remember Ultimate Muscle?

Ragsnstitches:

Sailor Moon and DBZ here too. I also watched a series called Technoman...

Tekkaman Blade in Japan. My avatar comes from the sequel OVA. I knew it was an anime, though.

Also, the US theme song (done by Shuki Levy) was cool, but the Japanese intro is one of my favourite intro songs of all time:

I used to watch Dragonball Z. I never watched the episodes in order, but even if I had I still wouldn't have been able to make ANY sense out of it. It was a really weird show...
Oh, and I used to think Yu-Gi-Oh was awesome. I honestly can't understand why, in hindsight.
Those are the only anime shows I've ever watched, save for maybe a half an episode of something at my friends house (he likes that stuff I guess)

Daystar Clarion:

Dragon dragon rawk the dragon!

Dragon Bawwwwwwl zee!

It's not the best anime ever, but it's the best anime any kid could ever watch :D

Ho shit..... 90's flashback.

Used to love that show, how did I forget about that intro?

OT: My dad had a VHS collection of late 80's early 90's anime.

So I used to pilfer them when he was at work.

I grew up watching Devilman, Wikedcity, The Guyver, Akira, Cybercity Oedo, Genocyber, violence Jack and fuckloads more.

In other words, back when it was all a bit of the ole' ultra violence.

Moonlight Butterfly:
You guys are making me feel old...

Thundercats
Voltron
Starzinger
um...
Ullyses
Project AKO
Bubblegum Crisis
and Dominion Tank Police.

I think That's most of them.

Oh and I used to watch Flying Island of Laputa and Totoro over and over. I guess technically Ghostbusters and Dungeons and Dragons was anime too.

I remember Ulysses 31.

It was awesome, especially the theme song.

I couldn't for the life of me ever understand what the hell was going on in this show however. Not at the age of 8 or 9 anyway.

Hazy992:

Tenchi Muyo (sometimes)

Thank you, thank you, thank you. For the past like year I've been trying to remember an anime I watched as a kid but I could never remember the name of it. I remembered loving it when I was a kid so I wanted to watch it again but couldn't remember what it was called, it was driving me nuts.

When I saw that in your post it rang a bell so I youtube'd it. That is the anime. So now I can watch it again :D

OT: Tenchi Muyo and now I'm going to be watching it again.
Dragonball Z
Beyblade
Pokemon
Digimon

Think that was it.

nope, to this day I despise most anime, but back in the day I enjoyed some of miasakis work like the moving house or whatever it was called, oh and I watched the first season of pokemon, that's about it.
I have nothing against it personally I just can't stand how it looks and how over the top all aspects of it are, from design, to storytelling, to melodrama and ultimate "badassery" or whatever, always put me off.

I will give it to them, many japanese cartoons bring real athmosphere and personality to them like ghost in the shell, previously mentioned miasaki movies and such

everyone's pretty much mentioned everything i watched as a kid....except reboot but i'm not actually sure who developed that so i could be wrong....

Sailor Moon
Dragon Ball Z
Inuyasha for a while there.
Avatar the Last Airbender-- AMAZING. Legend of Korra has yet to live up to its predecessor.
Naruto. Though back in the day, I watched it in English. Now, I've learned. xD

Yes, but at the time I didn't know they where anime and wouldn't for probably well over a decade. I watched MCoG, Ulysses, Dogtanian and the three Muskerhounds and Wily Fog. All great shows and some like Cities of Gold are still watchable unlike the other stalwarts fo my youth like He-man.

Casual Shinji:

Chemical Alia:
Yeah, I watched Maya the Bee and The Noozles. I didn't know what anime was, but I could tell at the age of 7 or 8 that they were of a really low production value and the relatively low framerate and bad voice acting compared to the the children's shows I watched confused me a little. I also didn't know David the Gnome was from Spain. What I find kinda interesting about these two cartoons is that neither of them looked too overtly anime-ish and not really annoying at all.

You got the Maya the Bee and David the Gnome cartoons over in America?

I thought those shows were strictly tied to Europe. I think I remember most of the Japanese animated kids shows from the 70's and 80's were released outside of America except maybe for Maple Town, The Moomins, and everything Saban got his hands on. Which was actually a lot now that I think about it.

Yeah, they were on a particular block of programming on Nick Jr. back when I was little, so probably in the late 80s and early 90s. They were on with Eureka's Castle, The Elephant Show, The Little Koala, and a few others.

sailor moon, robotech, dragon ball z, and ronin warriors were on every morning while I was in elementary school and didn't know what anime was. My ignorance didn't last long as I quickly discovered saturday anime on the sci-fi channel and fell in love with the art. Still a fan despite the massive drop in substance since the bubble burst a few years back.

I didn't watch anything regularly, neither anime or western cartoons, because of the times I got home from school and the fact that I was only allowed TV control during the 'kids TV' times on the terrestrial channels (i.e. 3.30pm to 5pm). So my time was usually spent watching Cow and Chicken or Dexter's Lab or Powerpuff Girls on Cartoon Network.

That being said, I did love it when I occasionally caught episodes of the anime I used to love, but it was years later before I realised they were actually anime. I used to watch Pokemon (of course), Yu-Gi-Oh!, Sonic X, Code Lyoko (a French 'anime'), and the odd episode of Dragonball Z. Later on I also saw the odd episode of Megaman NT Warrior, and very rarely Digimon episodes too.

Now that I know they're all anime though, I do actually watch them more often despite the 'kiddie' target audience, purely for the nostalgia, and also so I can actually understand what's going on in those odd episodes I saw. Currently rewatching Pokemon (near the start of the Johto episodes and the third movie so far), Yu-Gi-Oh!(currently up to the midpoint of GX's second season), and Megaman NT Warrior (fostered by the fact I've been replaying the whole Battle Network series in order from scratch :P).

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked