Why do people hate the army?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Because people exposed to anti-war media and finding themselves agreeing with it will invariably hate war, and by proxy, armies. Used to be only the soldiers fighting and the serfs starving/getting raped hated war. Oh well.

An example of anti-war media:

Pretty effective, wouldn't you agree?

When I first saw the thread title, I thought "Are you crazy?" Then it occurred to me that you might not live in or next to America. Anyone caught badmouthing a soldier/military serviceman in Canada or America (especially America) would not see daylight the next day.

Personally I don't like it because it drains funds that could be used for social stability in a country.

Other then that it's way too often used to force western ideals onto normal civilizations that don't want them. Even if they need them, but invading and bombing them generally isn't that way to go about that.

Though I do think basic training for a few months would do wonders for some people.

It's more complicated then love / hate them. I wish they would just get the hell out of that country because no matter what a good soldier does it will all be outdone by some idiot bad soldier going on a rampage or some idiot burning a muslim book that continously fuels their hatred and creates way more terrorists then they can ever hope to gun down. The more they try to stomp out terrorism the more terrorists they create. If I lived in a third world country and an american soldier killed a family member either by accident or a rampage I myself would probably say enough is enough myself.

It's a war that can't be won, and I'm tired of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer from how badly our economy has been fucked over by this.

Because people don't understand what an Army is supposed to do. That's why.

Not even those who join it in the first place.

I mean, why did the OP join anyways? It doesn't matter b/c once you become conditioned to follow orders you will have to submit your individuality to the general groupthink of the whole which, even if not explicitly a bad thing, in turn, is completely determined by the opinions and wills of those most in charge, and those in charge submit their world view to either their own personal interest or that of politicians (the most common scenario in the west).

And, in the end, the soldier ends up getting exploited just like everyone else, except than in his/her case it lends to him commiting/watching all kinds of atrocities and/or collecting all kinds of mental baggage in the carrying out the wishes of those who issue the orders but suffer none of the consequences. But at least they do give him a nice stamp of patriot, huh?

To assume that an army is a defacto positive body of action is rather short sighted, I think; given that it is subject to the wills of politicians (who then in turn may further be subject to the wills of yet more third parties) at the time.

In the end it is the soldier that has to solely put up with all the traumatic shit of being involved in war. And let's not even mention the civilian populations getting involved with those poor people...

The most one can say about an army, any army, is that it is a tool made of numerous small components that have to perform as if they were a single one. Neither good nor bad, and solely dependant on who wields it (orders it) to do something--be it good, bad, or somewhere in between.

While i'm not an expert at this stuff, think it's mainly due to the fact that in age where people are starting to get along more, weather that be people of different creeds, races, religions, or what have you, having an army and conflict reminds people that they is still fighting and a need for an army. It also reminds that conflict between humans is inevitable, and they will always be conflict of some kind.

I think it could also be that patriotism is seen as pointless nowadays, because so many countries rely on each other. I mean, if you want to support your country and love it, then fair enough, it's just hard too when other countries are needed to stop it from going bankrupted.

Alternatively, it could just be that people criticise the army as it costs governments a lot of money to maintain, should it gives them something to complain about when the economy is bad.

Or the guy in your case could be drunk. I'm not assuming that because you're Irish, it's just that that guy sounds like the kind of old boose hound who spends his whole night drinking cheap beer and shouting the occasional racist remark. And probably had a beard. Just the image that went though my head.

I think an important distinction needs to be made between the army as an institution and the individual people risking their lives doing the gruesome, yet in some cases necessary shit that we don't really like to acknowledge. In the case of the former; while I understand the need for a means of defense and occassional dick swinging needed to gain leverage in diplomacy, I find the money being funneled into this organisation is highly excessive. With 50m being pissed away each year to have had our soldiers sitting around in the middle east for 8 years trying to install democracy in a nation (so we can ingratiate ourselves to them and snag their oil) that has shown no progress and generated nothing but further animosity towards us and cemented our position as the American's bitch as we got dragged by the nose into that war and made ourselves a target. Though with the latter, I can understand they are simply following orders and have to undertake the grisly and repugnant acts that we'll never have to consider and they'll be the ones strung up and scapegoated by the media and made into pariahs in their own home they risked their lives defending (or they think they are defending and are just being used, which is even sadder really) while the politicians who orchestrate genocide with the wave of a hand will sit contented in their seat of power and affluent livelihood. The cunts. Or to put it in more laconic terms, I take umbrage with the people giving the orders, not the ones following them. That said, while I can respect what they do (and another thing, there's a difference between respecting an act and respecting a person and you don't necessarily have to like someone to respect them) if the individual him/herself is an obnoxious, ostentatious and arrogant prick, then I'm not going to be cowed into obsequious reverence just because they also happen to be a soldier. That's something which kind of grinds my gears, there seems to be this sub-set of people inclined to the political left and right who refuse to see the troops as anything other than crazed, amoral, troglodytic, infaticidal maniacs or altruistic, valiant, uber patriotic defenders of liberty and justice respectively. I mean really guys, such calumnious attitudes do nothing to make me take either of you seriously. >.> But yeah, never met a soldier IRL, but if I do, I'll be sure to treat them the same way I would anyone else.

Supertegwyn:

sextus the crazy:
I can't speak for everyone and I can't say I "hate" the army, but this is my gripe.

The DoD takes up $700 Billion in spending, which is about 20% of our total budget (both 2011 & 2012 estimate). This is unacceptable during a recession like ours, especially with the scaling back of the war in Afghanistan and our exiting out of Iraq. Not, only that, but It bothers me even more that no one seems to consider a budget reducing as a viable strategy, despite our having more aircraft carriers than the rest of the world combined or our spending money on pointless upgrades to air superiority fighters like the F-22 or our having a bunch of B-52s that a pretty useless considering they're both outdated and not strategically viable.

Also, the fact that the Military is the enforcer of some our more dickish policies.

Other than those things, I'm fine with our military. I don't view every soldier as a hero, but as a government employee with a sometime dangerous job. Still, to paraphrase Bill Maher "I like having a military that scares the shit out of other countries, I just wish that it didn't come with the whole military-industrial complex."

Yeah I agree.

Right now, America does not need to be spending that much money on the military. Use that money to climb out of the recession and build the economy again, THEN start making laser guns (please?)

nnnnyyyeeeehhhh, I'd rather have laser guns. It's 2012 already, and we don't even have flying CARS yet, this is BULLSHIT.

Next time someone shits all over your countries respective militaries, challenge them to do what you either do or have done to earn your place. Once they pas out from exhaustion after a brief 2 mile jog they won't have the energy or breath left to belittle your job anymore.

Well, there's no question that war is pretty terrible. Blind Patriotism has also been proven to be extraordinarily dangerous.

Everyone seems to have forgotten the cheerleading for the Iraq war during the bush era.
I don't hate soldiers, but I do dislike the army and those who advocate war, without finding
other solutions. Why someone would hate the people in the army I don't know.

Some people don't just hate soldiers, they're TERRIFIED of them. For every good man, there's someone who goes on a rampage killing innocent people.

There is also a belief that soldiers (or at least base grunts) are pretty stupid. "To march you don't need a brain just a spine".
This isn't always true, since they can be more educated and definitely far more physically fit than anyone else on this site, but it might explain the sometimes misplaced disdain some people may have.

sextus the crazy:

aba1:
Realistically you shouldn't need a army to begin with.

First of all, we need an army for self defense. Also, they're helpful for enforcing diplomatic decrees and such.

aba1:

I have also noticed a lot of people in the military tend to act like they can kick anyone's ass and are in general better than everyone else. I am not saying all people in the army are like this just most of the people I have come across.

Military seems to attract macho assholes, but not all of them are. In terms of military capabilities, we can kick any country's ass, hands down.

I know, just look at that guy from Hobgoblins. He could fight anybody with a rake.

Iron Criterion:

ablac:
We need sticks because others have sticks, however the guy actually willing to beat someone with the stick at least capable of doing so is pretty dodgy. That was my thinking. I dont hate the army but if you are ready to kill then you arent normal. I see the need but that doesnt mean i respect the people who will fulfill that need. I dont hate the army and I feel few do, I dont like em either. You kill people, I cant respect that.

You have to undergo a lot of training and mental reconditioning first you know. 99% of people who join the army do so to protect their people and nation. Only a small percentage of those will see combat on a regular basis, and an even smaller percentage will actually kill people.

And I heard that 137.567% of Internet statistics are made up out of convenience.

sabercrusader:
Now, I know this doesn't mean a whole lot, but I've been in an Army JROTC program for the last three years. My 1SGT served in Vietnam, and has given us vivid details about how he was treated, then I compare it to how they're treated today. Overall, soldiers today are treated so much better (in America) than they were in Vietnam. They can still be treated horribly though,and I don't know why. I'm not sure that they understand that the only reason they can speak out like that and voice their opinions are because we have soldiers fighting and dying for us to do so.

The military should really get more respect than they do. So should the police force and firefighters. They are all putting their lives on the line so we can live our lives as peacefully as possible.

Lol? Soldiers fighting and dying somehow let us speak out and voice our opinions? Well gee, do tell me who they're killing and being killed by that's ready to come over to America and stop me from talking. Pretty sure they don't need to be fighting and dying to protect the country right now, they'd probably do better just sitting back here at home. They're not putting their lives on the line so we can live our lives in peace, they're doing it because they're told to and what they're doing has jack shit to do with whether I live my life in peace or not. All I need them for is a deterrent and they would do that job fine if they were safe sitting here back in America.

Because most soldiers are mindless husks made to kill and listen to what the country says.
That's why you can often see the army going against their own people when the people fight for their rights.

No matter how you look at it, the army needs discipline and you achieve that by reprogramming the soldier. he/She stops thinking on their own and just finish the task.

I'm not saying that all of them are so, but most are for certain. Most soldiers I've talked to would do all kinds of things if it was an order. And their defense is "I would go to prison if I disobeyed" or "Well, it's his crime because he commanded it, I just did what he said.".

Sorry, but people who mindlessly obey orders from the government will never have my respect.

unabomberman:

The most one can say about an army, any army, is that it is a tool made of numerous small components that have to perform as if they were a single one. Neither good nor bad, and solely dependant on who wields it (orders it) to do something--be it good, bad, or somewhere in between.

No, they're as good or as bad as what they are used for. They're the ones who decided whether they become a tool for others or not. When someone makes that decision I'll hold them responsible for every order followed. That's the responsibility they have for deciding to give up their own autonomy.

Iron Criterion:

You have to undergo a lot of training and mental reconditioning first you know. 99% of people who join the army do so to protect their people and nation. Only a small percentage of those will see combat on a regular basis, and an even smaller percentage will actually kill people.

Don't know what country you hail from, but we have felons and rapists in our army (and in higher numbers than ever, thanks to two wars) in the US. The number of people out to protect their country goes nowhere near 99%. Sorry. This is far from a universal concept and I REALLY doubt it's true where you live.

A nation without a military is a nation without defense. If we didn't have an army in the 1940's we would all be speaking German right now. If we don't have an army today we would all be speaking Chinese or Korean right now. So I don't understand people who hate the military so much as to say it's pointless and useless or a tax sink.

I find it funny that usually the people that are against military or our (speaking as a US citizen here) are usually the people also protest women's rights, environmentalist minded,etc. And yes those things are important, I just wish they would realize that if we didn't have a military nations like north Korea and China or Islamic extremists that hate America would quickly attack or invade us.

Then those things those people stand for, would be non existent. Lets face it, Korea, China, Islamic Extremists, there not know for their women's rights.

I guess it is because a few psychotic fucktards somehow make it into the army and sometimes even into a position of power and abuse to much publicity and that is the only thing people think about when someone mentions the army. Another possibility is that many people feel that military personal are government puppets who are told to kill anyone they do not like without thinking about it like a machine.

chiefohara:
Im only a reservist, so i can't speak for frontline soldiers.

I nearly got in a fistfight tonight with someone who cheapened what the Irish army does, and belittled their contribution to UN peace keeping mission by labeling them mercenaries.

They broadened their vague assertions to all western armies and then had the gall to lecture me on patriotism, whilst at the same time belittling what little bit i have contributed when they have done nothing. This wasn't someone trolling me for fun, but a genuine arsehole who hates the army but is more manly than them..... how is christ's name do you deal/educate a person like that and not willingly murder them?

He called me a cheerleader, and you know what... fine.... I'll happily laud to everyone the contributions the defence forces make, ill readily admit im only a reservist sandbag scumbag.... A civilian can only contribute so much, but what i can do, i bloody well do. Why should i be ashamed of that, and why should i be ashamed of the Irish army? Why should anyone be ashamed of their army?

The basic truth is that the more prosperous a country and the better the standard of living, the more people dislike the military. When people are safe and comfortable long enough they tend to see that as the default state of being, and everyone else in the world being like them. They tend to forget why their nation is prosperous to begin with and how many nations want to increase their standard of living at the expense of anyone else they can find.

When someone is safe enough to render themselves unaware of how dangerous and messed up the world is, they lose respect for the military, the few things that get through the military tend to become the fault of the military for "provoking the attack". Likewise people become decadent and uncomfortable with the idea of killing people in other countries to maintain what they have, feeling that things could be maintained if they didn't do this.

Not to mention the constant fear that the peace and safety will be shattered, as a standing military and other threats means there is always a chance of being drafted.

In short it comes down to people feeling that if they ignore problems they won't affect them, and the guys dealing with those problems become the bad guys. It's not just Ireland, it's everywhere in the western world.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining it corectly, but the bottom line is that it's not something you can really deal with because it's an "out of context problem". The guys who are anti-military, or get all enraged over violence and collateral damage in other countries, are products of their enviroment and the way they have been raised in peace snd safety. They cannot get their mind around people in other parts of the world being fundementally differant and presenting a threat. They want to leave everything alone, in the belief that in turn they will be left along and things will just keep going on the way they are. You cannot verbally convince such people they are wrong, because they lack the experience to really understand what the world is like. The fact that they probably think themselves quite wordly due to all of the media reinforcing what they want to believe, doesn't help matters either.

The entire first world/western world has this problem to an extent. Ironically it's the price of our own success, and our militaries being so effective overall that people forget why they exist.

At least in the US I've actually thought it might be "fun" to tell the military, homeland security, and other forces to stop doing their jobs entirely for a while, let some major attacks happen, and then get back to business, by way of making a point about exactly why our military exists, and why it does what it does. I'd imagine Ireland is probably in a similar situation overall, but with differant issues, even if it's military is mostly supporting other forces.

Yopaz:

Well, the beauty of having a big army is that negotiations get so much easier. If you negotiate from an equal or greater standing both parties of the negotiation knows that a violent solution will cost money, resources and lives on both sides. A treaty in this case would be more favourable than a war. The potential gain is probably bigger for war, yet the risk is bigger too. If one of the sides have a weak army and the other has a large army then the risk of a war is low and the gain is pretty big. While I don't like the necessity for an army, I can see it and I understand it.

I can't say I blame your lack of faith in the human nature. Nature is violent all over. You'll meet a lot of those who are against war who keeps telling you animals aren't violent. that is a lie. A stable population is believed to have about 30-50% violent, greedy and/or selfish individuals. A population of pacifists isn't stable, nor is a population of fighters. War isn't human nature. It's simply nature. I don't like it, but I wont ever deny it.

I don't know if you're done or not, but just in case I want to thank you for a stimulating and friendly debate on this subject.

I couldn't agree with you more on both of these points. Very well stated. Also, thank you for keeping it civil and friendly. Until next time!

All Armed Forces = A Job..

Same rules for any job, those who do it well should be applauded, those who do it terribly or use the power it gives in a negative way should be removed from it.

While I can't stand those who belittle soldiers because of what they do, I equally hate those few soldiers who act like they are divine beings because they are in an armed force, and I especially hate those who feel everyone should bow down before the military because they "Protect our freedoms and kill those who oppose them".

Now, don't get me wrong, if someone is genuinely protecting someone's freedoms , and putting their life on the line doing so, then they have my respect. However, that goes for anyone, my country or the other.

aba1:

I have also noticed a lot of people in the military tend to act like they can kick anyone's ass and are in general better than everyone else. I am not saying all people in the army are like this just most of the people I have come across.

Agreed, a lot of them look down on us "common folk" and act as if they are somehow better than everyone else.

The_Critic:
A nation without a military is a nation without defense. If we didn't have an army in the 1940's we would all be speaking German right now. If we don't have an army today we would all be speaking Chinese or Korean right now. So I don't understand people who hate the military so much as to say it's pointless and useless or a tax sink.

I find it funny that usually the people that are against military or our (speaking as a US citizen here) are usually the people also protest women's rights, environmentalist minded,etc. And yes those things are important, I just wish they would realize that if we didn't have a military nations like north Korea and China or Islamic extremists that hate America would quickly attack or invade us.

Then those things those people stand for, would be non existent. Lets face it, Korea, China, Islamic Extremists, there not know for their women's rights.

People aren't saying you shouldn't have a military, I fail to see how you came to that conclusion. People say that you don't need to spend $700,000,000,000 per year on it while your debt is at $15,700,000,000,000 and rising.

I don't hate the army.
I hate the assholes in the army.

And I'm a little upset that the army fails to screen such assholes and gives them guns.

Mortai Gravesend:

Lol? Soldiers fighting and dying somehow let us speak out and voice our opinions? Well gee, do tell me who they're killing and being killed by that's ready to come over to America and stop me from talking. Pretty sure they don't need to be fighting and dying to protect the country right now, they'd probably do better just sitting back here at home. They're not putting their lives on the line so we can live our lives in peace, they're doing it because they're told to and what they're doing has jack shit to do with whether I live my life in peace or not. All I need them for is a deterrent and they would do that job fine if they were safe sitting here back in America.

Very well put.

A few years back, I went to a small festival hosted on a field next to where "The War and Peace" show was being held. A bunch of solders came on site, attempted to chat up my girlfriend (she was fifteen), started a fight with some other guy, and when the guy hosting the festival threatened to call the police, they left, but cut off water to the campsite for a day. Two days later a portaloo was set on fire as well, although no one found out whether that was them, or one of the festival goers.

So, in summary, I hate their foreign policy, I hate how the eat up a considerable portion of the taxpayers money, and every single solder I've ever met has been a complete arsehole.

So yes, I guess you could say I hate the army. That's not to say I'd automatically hate someone for being in the army, but I'd certainly view them as misguided.

Dr. Mongo:

ReSpawn:
I know you're probably just referring to the removal of Hitler and that regime, so I apologise in advance but...

Just for my own peace of mind, you're not implying that the allies introduced democracy to Germany? As in, for the first time?

No need for apology. And I am aware of the Weimarian Republic. I was referring to the removal of the Nazis, sorry for not making that clear.

Solid. :)

Carry on.

Matthew94:

The_Critic:

People aren't saying you shouldn't have a military, I fail to see how you came to that conclusion. People say that you don't need to spend $700,000,000,000 per year on it while your debt is at $15,700,000,000,000 and rising.

Of coarse you know the only reason we aren't invaded is cause our military is the most advanced in the world, cut funding and we won't causing a risk to our national security.

I respect what soldiers do and why they do it (most of the time), although I feel like we spend too much on it. Hating on it for the sake of hating on it is wrong. I don't agree with everything they do, but usually that's not their fault, and the individuals who dedicate themselves to that line deserve respect.

The_Critic:

Matthew94:

The_Critic:

Of coarse you know the only reason we aren't invaded is cause our military is the most advanced in the world, cut funding and we won't causing a risk to our national security.

You can easily defend you borders without spending, AGAIN, $700,000,000,000 per year.

Your navy almost has as many planes as the entire russian air force. You cannot say that is not excessive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

Your military spending is greater than the combined spending of #2-#14 of the worlds largest militaries. That's right, if you combined 14 ENTIRE COUNTRIES military budget you still wouldn't match the USA, that includes China, the UK, Russia, France etc

You spend just under 50% of the total WORLD military expenditure on your military.

It costs money that could be much better spent. I'm English, Britain has a disproportionately large and well equipped army. The only reason I can fathom is that politicians like power and it lets us throw our weight around like we were still a 'global power' or some ridiculous shit that nobody whose mind isn't full of ridiculous tribalistic, patriotic rubbish should care about.

We shouldn't be involved in the middle east, we shouldn't have anywhere as large an armed forces we do we should be spending more money on that actually matter to the country. I won't deny that an army of some sort is still necessary but ours is excessive.

There are all kinds of social and economic problems that could be dealt with for the cost of that nuclear deterrant we don't need, let alone the rest of the armed forces.

For the US Army at least, I don't support joining an association that openly murders innocent people. That said, I understand that many people don't join to "herp derp kill teh evil mooslims" but join either because they have to (for money) or because they hope to make a difference (like NOT kill innocent civilians).

Chasing-The-Light:

Next, I also dated a girl who was a militant anarchist and her and her friends hated the military. We weren't allowed to talk politics with each other because it would come down to me getting personally offended and her going on these rants about how "the military is useless" and how they don't do anything. She would be like, "Yeah, I respect them for what they do but I don't think what they're doing is right. I don't agree with it at all. I don't like it and I think it's stupid that they even join!"

But she sounds like she was making a valid argument. Personally, I don't agree with standing armies, even though I understand the necessity. I have family members in the military also; I respect the hell out of them, but it's something I would not be able to do. I just don't agree with it. Does that make me a bad person?

Matthew94:

The_Critic:

Matthew94:

You can easily defend you borders without spending, AGAIN, $700,000,000,000 per year.

Your navy almost has as many planes as the entire russian air force. You cannot say that is not excessive.

Your military spending is greater than the combined spending of #2-#14 of the worlds largest militaries. That's right, if you combined 14 ENTIRE COUNTRIES military budget you still wouldn't match the USA, that includes China, the UK, Russia, France etc

You spend just under 50% of the total WORLD military expenditure on your military.

Damn, that's a lot of money. I'm sorry to say I was never aware of the exact amount the U.S spent. I only knew that it was that it was extremely high, but I never knew it was so absurd. It's far more than that of our "foes" combined It's staggering knowing how much healthcare, working class benefits and education have been cut to save this.

Not only does the military have it's own court of law and starts stupid useless wars, but it has this as well. This is insulting. I actually sort of now hate the people associated for being so paranoid and violent, all the while draining a small country's worth of GDP.

In fact what's wrong with the people who shout "GO! GO! AMERICA AND THE MILITARY!"?
This isn't the Cold war anymore.
I wonder how some armchair general can say that without the military China would invade us. China is our business partner. They're making tons of money off of us. South Korea is our ally, and there's no way North Korea could invade us.

This argument that the bloated military is our only protection of us speaking "Chinese or Korean" not only falls flat, but is offensive. America is not the underdog. I won't be invaded. In fact in some cases it's the bully. More money could have been spent building levees in New Orleans, or fixing the educational system, but no, some Americans HAD to bomb some brown people.

I don't know about soldiers, but the Military complex in the U.S has to change, because right now it's horrible and over funded.

Numb1lp:

Chasing-The-Light:

Next, I also dated a girl who was a militant anarchist and her and her friends hated the military. We weren't allowed to talk politics with each other because it would come down to me getting personally offended and her going on these rants about how "the military is useless" and how they don't do anything. She would be like, "Yeah, I respect them for what they do but I don't think what they're doing is right. I don't agree with it at all. I don't like it and I think it's stupid that they even join!"

But she sounds like she was making a valid argument. Personally, I don't agree with standing armies, even though I understand the necessity. I have family members in the military also; I respect the hell out of them, but it's something I would not be able to do. I just don't agree with it. Does that make me a bad person?

No, there's nothing wrong with that as long as you're not throwing it in people's faces. xD Maybe I wrote that up wrong but the way she would talk was so degrading and condescending and perhaps it's me being a bit biased but damn did that always bother the hell out of me.

A troll's gonna troll, even in RL.

Matthew94:

The_Critic:

Matthew94:

Please understand that most Americans are not this ignorant. We understand that Reagan's precedent needs to be broken, and me need to find better ways to spend our money.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked