New Tennessee Law Bans Sex Ed Instructors From Teaching ‘Gateway Sexual Activity'

http://gawker.com/5909839/new-tennessee-law-bans-sex-ed-instructors-from-teaching-gateway-sexual-activity

First North Carolina now this. I thought they already proved that "abstinence education" did not work. Since when is being educated a bad thing???

Lundberg believes this is important because has the seventh-highest teen birth rate in the nation, and the 11th-highest HIV infection rate.

I think they accidentally a noun there (or pronoun?) ;)

*Edit: Also they have internet there... the kids will learn just fine

usmarine4160:

I doubt many of them are going to hit up Planned Parenthood in response to not being taught Sex Ed. Instead they'll turn to the seedier parts of the internet that are going to tell them that they should impress a girl by doing something off of urbandictionary.

And who the hell mentions the inner thigh in Sex Ed anyway?

I just started laughing when they brought up 'gateway body parts'.

Anyway, nothing new here. Some crazy social conservatives pass a poorly thought out law. I wonder what it'll take for them to learn that abstinence only education is shit.

Abstinence only may be dumb, but it should still be stressed that abstinence is the safest and only way to 100% ensure against disease and pregnancy.

Kids are going to have sex regardless of what they teach, so it is a good idea to teach preventative sex ed. Still though, I draw the lines when health classes start teaching things like "different positions" in sex ed.

Wait... are they suggesting sex ed informs kids how to have sex? As in they do not think kids know by high school? I mean I was very sheltered but... come on.

WTF? They never taught "Gateway Sexual Techniques" when I was in High School. What in the hell's bells is a Gateway Sexual Technique? Dry Humping? Mutual Pleasuring?

I do have issue with the abstinence only education. At least let them know that condoms are available if they choose not to abstain. And show them graphic images of STDs that would help too me thinks.

If I had to be taught sex education I would want something like this:
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/02/21/stuff-about-sex-comic/

Champthrax:
Abstinence only may be dumb, but it should still be stressed that abstinence is the safest and only way to 100% ensure against disease and pregnancy.

Now I'm not knocking abstinence it's a perfectly valid life choice. But it's only 100% without human error. Like a condom is 98% without human error, but anywhere down to 80% with typical use depending on what source you use. There are so many people who practice abstinence but make a silly decision or have their judgement impaired and end up having sex, that's the human error. So the true success/failure rate of abstinence is not known (but certainly not 100%).

Dags90:

usmarine4160:

Instead they'll turn to the seedier parts of the internet that are going to tell them that they should impress a girl by doing something off of urbandictionary.

Wait you aren't supposed to do that?

WolfThomas:
If I had to be taught sex education I would want something like this:
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/02/21/stuff-about-sex-comic/

Champthrax:

Now I'm not knocking abstinence it's a perfectly valid life choice. But it's only 100% without human error. Like a condom is 98% without human error, but anywhere down to 80% with typical use depending on what source you use. There are so many people who practice abstinence but make a silly decision or have their judgement impaired and end up having sex, that's the human error. So the true success/failure rate of abstinence is not known (but certainly not 100%).

Well I mean obviously abstinence only works 100% if you actually abstain. If you weaken and give in, then you are exposing yourself to the associated risks.

I am a fairly squared away fellow, and although I have had opportunities to have sex, I have turned them down. Admittedly I came close once while really drunk, but even intoxicated, I asked myself "what the heck am I doing?"

Although I have not had a religious upbringing, with the values I hold it might lead you to believe I had. I do not want to have sex until I am either married, or truly in love. Thus far I have had neither. Do I sometimes wonder what sex is like? Sure, but sex is a momentary high, and I know in my heart that if I engage in it, I will feel terrible afterwards. Because of this I strive to practice stoic control until I meet someone I want to spend the rest of my life with.

Abstinence may not be the most effective tool, but don't dismiss it entirely. For me, it worked in both the areas of drugs and sex.

Champthrax:

Well I mean obviously abstinence only works 100% if you actually abstain. If you weaken and give in, then you are exposing yourself to the associated risks.

I am a fairly squared away fellow, and although I have had opportunities to have sex, I have turned them down. Admittedly I came close once while really drunk, but even intoxicated, I asked myself "what the heck am I doing?"

Although I have not had a religious upbringing, with the values I hold it might lead you to believe I had. I do not want to have sex until I am either married, or truly in love. Thus far I have had neither. Do I sometimes wonder what sex is like? Sure, but sex is a momentary high, and I know in my heart that if I engage in it, I will feel terrible afterwards. Because of this I strive to practice stoic control until I meet someone I want to spend the rest of my life with.

Abstinence may not be the most effective tool, but don't dismiss it entirely. For me, it worked in both the areas of drugs and sex.

But you can understand that you can't just gather up everyone whose says they're going to practice abstinence and then only count those who successfully abstain. It would be like if I give a group of people medicine but only count the people who get better in my study, it falsely improves the statistics. If we don't count the failed group, heck I'm succeeding at abstinence right this very moment, until I see my girlfriend.

I'm not dismissing abstinence entirely. But you know what is more successful than abstinence alone? Abstinence and the oral contraceptive pill (or the implant), or abstinence and knowing how to use and/or obtain a condom. Everyone's fallible if they make a mistake at least they'd be safe(r).

Also as someone in a committed relationship with a person I intend on inevitably marrying and spending the rest of my life with, I respect your desire and beliefs about sex, love and marriage. Sex is meaningless (albeit temporary fun) without love.

one night stands o one

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here