Expressing my absolute glee and reasons for it - The Expo

Being in America, for some reason I was under the impression that the Escapist was either a British or Australian site, so I didn't pay mind to the little orange button.

Clicking it made me very happy. I will now share why:

1.I live in North Carolina, and generally would have to travel very far to attend most conventions. Therefore I have never attended one. I live an hour away from Durham!

2.The Escapist community (learned through lurking for awhile) is the only one that has compelled me to create an account and actively participate in any forum, anywhere. I would love to meet you lovely people in person.

3. I get to meet Yahtzee and Jim, and maybe do enough bugging to get my copy of Mogworld signed! I feel the need to say it twice...I get to meet Yahtzee! Watching his videos on Youtube is the only reason I ended up here in the first place.

Is there anyone else who knows they're going/want to discuss it? I just needed to get this glee off my chest so I don't walk around with a stupid grin all day...though I still just might.

Good for you :D

I don't have nearly enough money to be able to afford the trip and expenses.

Weep for me, escapists...

Daystar Clarion:

What he said - weep for me. Don't have the money, either.

I'm curious, though, why did you think the Escapist was British or Australian. I suppose I can see it as the latter, as Yahtzee lives in Australia. But he's also from the UK, as with Jim Sterling (who's in the USA, though). And the site also has the LRR cast who are Canadian and there are other people from across the globe. Truly, if you take these into account, it doesn't seem obvious it's an US thing, but then again, I sort of assume most websites are USA based, unless presented with evidence of the contrary, for example, if they use the proper date format or end in .co.uk or something.

I weep for the what... panel derailment that will never happen if you don't go? Someone get this man a ticket to the Expo.

DoPo:

I'm curious, though, why did you think the Escapist was British or Australian.

Clearly because the users are half civilised unlike our Yankee neighbours. :D

Matthew94:

DoPo:

I'm curious, though, why did you think the Escapist was British or Australian.

Clearly because the users are half civilised unlike our Yankee neighbours. :D

You've got half the answer. I knew something seemed strange (from an American perspective) when people were speaking English properly, treating each other with relative respect, and didn't seem to have a consistently dangerous blood pressure coming through their posts. I hate to generalize an entire country, but if there's enough people to fill 20 seasons of Jerry Springer and then some I can't possibly be shortsighted.

My other "clues" were the references to the 100+ dollar game prices in Australia regularly mentioned, folks using euro and pound to refer to money, and of course Jim and Yahtzee, which made it a tossup that did not include America. Honestly, I was *this* close to making my handle ImperialistYank as a tongue-in-cheek "I know what we are, someone get me the hell out of here!" based on these assumptions, and decided it may be in poor taste. I'm glad that happened.

Captcha: Cherry on top - Day 2 of the expo is my birthday. I'll try to tame the excitement, I honestly hate rubbing it in if many of you can't go : (

I'll be going from Dragon*Con in Atlanta to this within the same month. I will be so conned out come October >.>

DrunkOnEstus:
treating each other with relative respect, and didn't seem to have a consistently dangerous blood pressure coming through their posts.

So, you didn't catch the Mass Effect threads, then? No shame in that. For future reference, you may want to take a step away when you see a highly controversial thread like religion. Or genders. Or being friendzoned by a, religious, communist, feminist brony who loves EA and hates Valve.

DoPo:

So, you didn't catch the Mass Effect threads, then? No shame in that. For future reference, you may want to take a step away when you see a highly controversial thread like religion. Or genders. Or being friendzoned by a, religious, communist, feminist brony who loves EA and hates Valve.

I didn't catch the Mass Effect ones (I'm still playing 2 and didn't want 3 spoiled...although I get the impression that there's not much to be spoiled), but I've read similar threads rage wise and even then there's a base level of coherence and some legitimate discussion happening under it all. This is not found in any level on...IGN for example.

And a human who loves EA and hates Valve? Can't be human. It's EA's first stab at using cyborgs as PR. I won't call Deckard, or Harrison Ford, as I feel they have a right to live unless they wish to put an end to their EA slave labor. I imagine Valve is very spiritual, they're just teaching us all that patience is a virtue and reminding us that quality is much more important than quantity : )

I really wish I could go but chances are I will not be able to make it. Between the cost of it in the first place, the fact it is a 14ish hour drive from my current location, the Amtrak service in Durham really sucks and I have no idea if my schedule will allow it so yep prolly not going to happen for me. I wish everyone that goes a good time.

I'm trying my best to attend this. I'm just two states away and with the right plans could definitely make it in time. My only concerns are money, schools, and my parents.

Also I hear Epic is going to be there with a Gears 3 event. Instantly sold.

Normally with concerts I tell myself I won't be able to, but when it's important (like seeing Rush), it ends up happening because I wanted it really bad and ended up sacrificing other less essential things in my life so that it happens. Since I've never been to any convention, I'm putting it in that realm, made easier living east of Asheville.

I wonder if we get nametags with our forum handles? I'd get a kick out of seeing people I've had a chat with on here in meatspace and connecting the two.

Sidenote: I don't have a clue if I have the balls, talent, or extra funding to cosplay this thing. I'm going with balls.

I guess I shall be seeing you there OP!

It would be pretty sweet if our nametags had our forum handles on it, but hey, I'll take what I can get from them.

Now, onto the issue of flights and hotels....

Wish I could have gone, then I could yell at the mods about the stupid captia ad things.

DrunkOnEstus:
And a human who loves EA and hates Valve? Can't be human. It's EA's first stab at using cyborgs as PR.

Fifteenth, actually. Or around that there, at least. OK, technically the first version was never deployed but it was used internally. See, the job was rushed, and the engineers never managed to implement the camouflage technology. A pretty serious flaw for a piece of tech supposed to blend with humans.

However, it was operational and parts of the design were reused for later models and development. But also this was way back - in the very early in the 80s. Things have moved on. But not as well as expected - the following models were met with very minor success in some areas but ultimately the deployment was a failure each time. Even if the models were able to integrate into human society, they failed to do their duties for one reason or another.

But after a few unsuccessful iterations, the EA's engineers (the EAngineers, as they are known internally) finally found a big common problem to all the robots so far - they lacked any sort of AI, programming, or ability to function autonomously (which tied in with the next big problem they found in about a generation or two - the robots didn't have an independent power supply). So the EAngineers went back to the drawing board and started the development from scratch. Or they would have, if they hadn't wasted so much money already. The management (also, internally known as managEAment) had cut their budget, so the EAngineers were forced to make the most use of what they had. But it was nigh impossible to modify the existing robots into being autonomous[1].

But all the attempts to integrate any sort of AI in the robots were met with failure. None of the projects succeeded (code names, obviously) - E.I.N.S.T.E.I.N.; T.E.S.L.A.; T.U.R.I.N.G.; S.U.P.E.R.M.A.N.; B.A.T.M.A.N.; C.A.P.I.T.A.N. L.A.Z.O.R.S.; D.I.N.O.S.A.U.R.; T.-.R.E.X.; P.I.R.A.T.E.-.N.I.N.J.A.; T.I.T.S. A.N.D. B.A.C.O.N.; These were all unsuccessful. Finally, the EAngineers had to face the terrible fact - simply renaming the same thing with a cooler sounding acronym wouldn't actually make it work. So for the next few months, they were busy making stuff. Things were better, but again success was just outside of their grasp. The Secret Person-like Artificial Mind for Blending with the Ordinary Technology was the light at the end of a long tunnel of failures for them. But alas, one of the people working on the project mistakenly took it home, instead of his lunch box. It took the EAngineers a week to notice. It would have probably been longer if Debugger[2] wasn't gluten and lactose intolerant. But a week was enough for their work to get lost.

The employee that got it lost in the first place got a severe punishment. In fact, they had to come up with a new type of punishment especially for him (but partly because all their iron maidens were being cleaned at that moment). Ironically, it was that employee's punishment, that finally pushed the work of the department forward. If he hadn't lost the project and hadn't angered the highest ranks of EA, and hadn't needed special punishment especially for himself, the EAngineers wouldn't have realised that they could use souls instead of AI to power the robots. This was a crucial step in the development. It was cheap and the souls could be used for any type of robot.

So in the 90s EA started buying other game studios and leech their soul energy to power the robots they had. EA praised the accidental martyr that showed them the way and sort of felt bad for extracting his soul and dooming it for terrible pain, so as a sign of gratitude, they raised his body from the dead. They made a second important discovery that day - bodies could actually function without a soul.

Which is a relief, because EA weren't sure exactly where his original soul was[3].

But anyway, in the late 90s the first successful generation of robots was unleashed in the world. Since this was the tenth generation of machines EA had tried releasing, they were referred to as "Generation X" to avoid suspicion. Ever since then, the development of new models has slowed down significantly. Yeah, that's why there have been only four or so new releases over the past dozen years. Each improved the initial formula. Generations 11 introduced religion into them to make them easier to pass for humans. But Generation 12 was released soon after, for the robots created Wesboro Baptist Church. The new improvement was communism, to reduce the amount of defecting robots. Later on, the EAngineers recognised a genuine problem for part of their robots, namely the female versions were getting a lot of attention from human males. Because that had a small chance of the humans accidentally finding out that they were, in fact, dating an emotionless automaton, covered in artificial flesh and controlled by the soul of the living, the EAngineers came up with a hotfix - the robot would only date people who wouldn't notice their true nature, the others would be put in a so called "friendzone". This wasn't a true new generation of robots, for it only updated the old ones. Generation 13 brought in feminism, as another measure against male attention[4]. And the most recent - Generation 14 decided to capitalise on the fad for My Little Pony, and send in cover agents among the "brony" ranks, hence they produced brony robots.

And so, if, or rather, when the EAngineers manage to make a robot that hates Valve (they've been trying for the past six years. Things are moving slowly, but still moving) brace yourself for the inevitable thread.

[1] aside from the power supply - all models actually had a slot for batteries in their gums. Due to a freak accident, the EAngineer who came up with this, had died before noting it down in the documentation. Also, curiously, all the robots made so far actually had batteries there but they wouldn't start working unless you made them swallow a $10 bill.
[2] "John Elliott Debugger - loving son, brother(?) and father(?) is lying(sp?) here. His last words were 'Who the fuck doesn't eat their ham and cheese sandwiches?!' That's should be enough for him. Let's wrap it up and go back. Hey, stop writing everything I say. I'm serious. Last warnin-" reads a plate over his unmarked grave in the server room
[3] As it happens, the original soul later escaped with its robot. Driven by the eternal pain it felt, the soul decided to share it with everybody, so it assumed the name Justin Bieber and set off to enact its revenge on the world.
[4] because the lead EAngineer behind the new generation had missed the memo about the "friendzone" update

DoPo:
snip

DoPo, ever think you might have too much free time??

Jealous, just too expensive to fly from the UK. There was talk of taking turns with the oars on a small boat, but it fell through.

TheBobmus:

DoPo:
snip

You're right! I will go solve the world hunger now!

Also: study for exams.

DoPo:

TheBobmus:

DoPo:
snip

Ah of course, exam procrastination, that explains it all. Join the club, I've been shunning university exam revision like the plague in favour of almost anything else!

TheBobmus:

DoPo:

TheBobmus:

Ah of course, exam procrastination, that explains it all. Join the club, I've been shunning university exam revision like the plague in favour of almost anything else!

Really? I can't imagine what it's like. Well, at least I have plenty of time to study. My first exam is tomorrow. Erm, the reason...I'm here now...is...umm...because the Escapist is covered in it.

<.<

>.>

What's your excuse?

DoPo:

TheBobmus:

DoPo:

Really? I can't imagine what it's like. Well, at least I have plenty of time to study. My first exam is tomorrow. Erm, the reason...I'm here now...is...umm...because the Escapist is covered in it.

<.<

>.>

What's your excuse?

I had my second exam today, another on Friday.
My excuse is that I did an exam today, take the evening off!

To Team Fortress 2!

Daystar Clarion:

I'll weep... maybe on the flight over since I'll have 6/7 hours to kill but while I'm at the Expo and Miracle Of Sound concert I'll forget your name completely :P

Daystar Clarion:

Neither can I.

The worst part is the Brovengers will be without their leader, though. Sucks you can't be there!

TimeLord:

Daystar Clarion:

I'll weep... maybe on the flight over since I'll have 6/7 hours to kill but while I'm at the Expo and Miracle Of Sound concert I'll forget your name completely :P

Thanks man, that makes me feel really good.

_

Daystar Clarion:

TimeLord:

Daystar Clarion:

_

Well unless you want to stuff yourself into my suitcase? I leave London on the 12th, remember to pack a magazine!

TimeLord:

Daystar Clarion:

TimeLord:

_

Well unless you want to stuff yourself into my suitcase? I leave London on the 12th, remember to pack a magazine!

Suitcase?

But you're a Time Lord!

Unless you made that all up...

Daystar Clarion:

TimeLord:

Daystar Clarion:

_

Suitcase?

But you're a Time Lord!

Unless you made that all up...

I made the suitcase bit up yeah! I'm travelling to the Expo via vortex manipulator!

I don't have the resources to make the trip from Saskatchewan to Durham even though it would be a period of concentrated awesome in my life.

I guess I can hope the lottery gods are in a good mood before then...

DoPo:
Holy fucking snip, Batman!

I almost feel bad not having a reply that rivals the number of words, but I am honored to know the truth behind the charade and Ricite-whatever-the hell. You may have become my favorite person that I've never met.

If/when EA merges with Google and Apple to purchase the entire Earth's GDP, charging us $10 for "Oxygen DLC Packs - It's not essential to the core life experience, we promise!", I entrust you to write the tome detailing the steps leading to the wasteland that future generations accept because the last few who could answer the question "What was life like before the devolution?" will be wasting away in a bar and simply don't remember anymore.

None of this discussion is depressing. At all.

While I am planning on going nothing is official yet since I have to persuade my parents that I am fit enough to drive about 10 hrs to Durham. I have driven to DC before but Durham is another few hours away. I'd also have to take off about three days of classes which my parents won't like. But If I can persuade them to let me go I will be there.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked