Five Best Shows Recently on TV

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Gorfias:
Hopefully the Wire will be streaming by the time I get through my backlog.

As you're an enthusiast for both Mad Men and Sopranos, I think it should be viewed as pretty much essential viewing. It should really be essential viewing for anyone. It's widely hailed as the best show in the history of the medium, and for good reason.

Gorfias:
But like you say, I started getting a little tired of Madmen by the end of last season, and now, I'm just all over this again. It's style of story telling and characterization is so different. And funny, I understand some of the creative team of Sopranos is in on this. In some ways, the lead character reminds me of Tony: They are both strangly loyal to somethings and ideas, to the point of self sacrifice, but Don beleves this life is all there is, so go after what you want, regardless: faithless to wife, faithless to country. But the episode where he has to tell a client they can't work for him, he's all broken up about it. Just amazing.

It's pretty traditional for shows to start a slow decline around the 4th-5th season, but this might be the most fun I've had with Mad Men. The last episode was absolutely hilarious.

Tony Soprano, Don Draper, Al Swearengen, Walter White, Omar Little. The best characters in television, and I defy anyone to draft a more compelling list. Honorable mention to David Brent.

Eureka
How I Met Your Mother
The Big Bang Theory
Lost Girl

BloatedGuppy:

It's pretty traditional for shows to start a slow decline around the 4th-5th season, but this might be the most fun I've had with Mad Men. The last episode was absolutely hilarious.

Tony Soprano, Don Draper, Al Swearengen, Walter White, Omar Little. The best characters in television, and I defy anyone to draft a more compelling list. Honorable mention to David Brent.

Argh! Now I've got to go net surfing to ID the people on that list I don't know :-) But thanks for the good advice, will get all over the wire! Al Swearengen, Omar Little (sounds familiar) and David Brent, gotta look them up.

EDIT

I just read the wiki on The Wire: added to Netflix queue, first position.

Gorfias:
Argh! Now I've got to go net surfing to ID the people on that list I don't know :-) But thanks for the good advice, will get all over the wire! Al Swearengen, Omar Little (sounds familiar) and David Brent, gotta look them up.

EDIT

I just read the wiki on The Wire: added to Netflix queue, first position.

You won't regret it, with the disclaimer that it might ruin lesser shows for you. An often heard disclaimer in our house now is "I guess this is alright, but it's no Wire!".

1. Sherlock
2. Game of Thrones, surprise :D
Those are the only two new shows I have been watching. I am stuck in the past...

Sherlock
Doctor Who
Walking Dead
Game of Thrones
& Hawaii 5-0

*raises incoming hate shield just in case*

Hmmm....
in no order
bones
big bang theory
bob's burgers :P
south park
simpsons or american dad can't pick

edit:
I totaly forgot about electric playground and reviews on the run fit them in somewhere :P

Recently:
The Bridge
Mad Men
Borgen
The Killing (Danish version)
The Killing II

But the greatest TV show I have ever seen is The Wire...I guess that doesn't count as recent.

Gorfias:

Melanie McGreevey:

Gorfias:
I watched an episode of MASH recently. I liked it and appreciated it for when it came out, but, tv has matured a lot since then. Compare ER to Saint Elsewhere sometime. Sometime in the 1990s , I think TV really came into its own.

depends on the episode, i have seen MOST of that series, some episodes are silly, some are serious, and some can be really emotional, they took a HUGE risk doing what they did, clearing the way for much of what we see today. MASH was the best show ever.

MASH, Saint Elswhere, NYPD Blue, ER, Picket Fences, lot of great great stuff. But I was just blown away by the most recent episode of Mad Men. Have you watched the series? If not and you have Netflix, you can catch about 4 seasons. It is casually magnificent, so good that I really think movies are going to have a hard time keeping up. It is just difficult to pack all that character development and scope into 2-3 hours while a great TV show like "Breaking Bad" has years to do the same.

Remember that episode of Mad Men...

It's still my favorite moment in that show.

Mad Men is probably my #2 current show (maybe top 5 ever, though it trails Breaking Bad and The Wire). Breaking Bad is the best ever. It's as close to perfection in a TV series as there can be. Four seasons and not one poor episode. It's remarkable.

Other current faves...
-Community. At about the halfway point through the first season, it changed. It put a stop to the formulaic weekly episodes and started with these concept episodes. Some of them are actually pretty deep. Troy's 21st birthday has some of the most moving moments in a comedy series I've ever seen. And it's funny. It actually has me laughing out loud and tipping my hat (if I wore hats).

-Terriers: It's actually not still airing, but it's recent enough to mention. And I still hold out hope that it's recent enough to be revived if interest gathers. It had wit, emotional depth, and everything you'd want in a series. And it had a kick ass theme song.

-Game of Thrones: I've not (yet) read the books, but the series does a great job at portraying a brutal dark fantasy world.

Edit:Gahhh, really messed up the tags the first try with this post. Sorry about the spoiler.

1) Chuck. - Something about this show just makes me love it. And the ending, oh man :'(

2) Community. - This may be the funniest show I've ever seen. And there's such a diverse range of topics covered, but in a light-hearted, parody manner (zombies, paintball, animation, 8-bit video games).

3) The Mentalist. - This show is amazing, so much emotion, and the acting, particularly Simon Baker's, is phenomenal.

4) Breaking Bad. - Sooooo good. Hard to predict, emotional, amazing acting by the entire cast.

5) Dexter. - Haven't fully caught up on this show, I'm only into season 4, but from what I've seen, this show is really good too.

BloatedGuppy:

I'd put Peggy Olson up there as well. Seriously, look at the shift in her character. And it was all believable (at least to me). Also: Jessie Pinkman (Breaking Bad).

These are quite literally the only TV Shows I still watch nowadays:

1. Two and a Half Men/Big Bang Theory
2. Family Guy/American Dad
3. South Park
4. Friendship is Magic
5. Drew Carey Show Reruns

I'm going to stretch the definition of "recent" because I barely watch this "TV" thing anymore. I get most of my shows from Netflix/Hulu because I'm A. Too busy to watch the shows when they come on TV and too cheap/poor to get that newfangled dish and tivo thing.

Anyways in no particular order.

1. Dr. Who/ Torchwood
2. Better Off Ted
3. Arrested Development.
4. Futurama
5. Regular Show/Adventure Time

I put some shows side by side because honestly, even though I adore both of them, they seem to be very very similar in style and execution.

I'd put HIMYM, Community, Archer and GoT as honorable mentions or close runner ups. I haven't seen the new seasons or felt the quality has gone down hill (HIMYM, I am looking at you) so I feel like I can't make a judgement call on how good they are.

Captcha was Foul smelling...that's pretty strange considering I just got back from a run. Guess I better go shower again :(

Community
Parks and Recreation
Futurama
The Simpsons (yeah, I said it)
Ugly Americans

Now if you'll all excuse me, my capcha is telling me to "drink milk" my calcium must be getting low...

I think my list will reflect how far behind I am when it comes to TV. Anyway, my top 5 favorite TV shows are (in no particular order)...

The Simpsons - No matter what and, even though they don't show episodes from before 2000 anymore, I can always watch Simpsons. It's good and it's been consistently good for about as long as I've been alive. That's a pretty good accomplishment right there I'd say.

Bob's Burgers - Far more grounded than the Seth MacFarlene trio even if it does get weird from time to time. This is my current favorite show on the Fox Sunday Line-up. I've even gone back and watched this on Netflix a couple times.

Fairly Odd Parents - I swear this show gets a new episode occasionally. Even if it doesn't it's my current favorite Nick-Toon. It's also one that I think is better than some of the toons from when I was younger like Catdog. Catdog was terrible. (I should have probably mentioned in the simpsons section that these are all personal opinions)

Big Bang Theory - It's all new to me. I don't know how long the show's been going for...I'd estimate 5 or 6 seasons but I'm only just getting into it and am really enjoying it. I like the geek references and, humor. I love Sheldon and, I love how he's more of a kid than anything.

Kitchen Nightmares - Gordon Ramsey is a sexy, sexy man. I don't swing that way but I would be lying if I said anything different about him. I don't know why I love the show though: I watched the series on Netflix which I believe is the UK version from the early/mid aughts. Just watched an episode about a half hour ago about a restaurant based in Atlanta though so this may be a current series. Good show either way.

TV shows I dearly miss -

Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers
Darkwing Duck
Drawn Together
Ducktales
Goof Troop
Greg the Bunny
Mickey Mouse/Disney cartoons
Mission Hill
Mystery Science Theater 3000

DustyDrB:

Remember that episode of Mad Men...

It's still my favorite moment in that show.

Mad Men is probably my #2 current show (maybe top 5 ever, though it trails Breaking Bad and The Wire). Breaking Bad is the best ever. It's as close to perfection in a TV series as there can be. Four seasons and not one poor episode. It's remarkable.

Other current faves...
-Community. At about the halfway point through the first season, it changed. It put a stop to the formulaic weekly episodes and started with these concept episodes. Some of them are actually pretty deep. Troy's 21st birthday has some of the most moving moments in a comedy series I've ever seen. And it's funny. It actually has me laughing out loud and tipping my hat (if I wore hats).

-Terriers: It's actually not still airing, but it's recent enough to mention. And I still hold out hope that it's recent enough to be revived if interest gathers. It had wit, emotional depth, and everything you'd want in a series. And it had a kick ass theme song.

-Game of Thrones: I've not (yet) read the books, but the series does a great job at portraying a brutal dark fantasy world.

Edit:Gahhh, really messed up the tags the first try with this post. Sorry about the spoiler.

More votes for Wire and Game of Thrones! They are in my queue!

I love Breaking Bad and I agree, Jessie is just as interesting a character as Walter. Peggy is also very interesting.

I'll have to look up that Halloween episode. Because they were on Netflix streaming, I petty much pulled a marrathon on the first 4 season, all of which deserve at least a 2nd watch. Suitcase is a particularly great episode.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1484250/

Gotta rewatch this one!

Game of Thrones
Dr Who
Walking Dead
Trueblood
American Horror Story

Adventure Time
Grimm
Modern Family
Futurama
American Dad

I mostly watch movies.

Gorfias:

Frozengale:
Best shows that are still running right now

1. Doctor Who
2. Legend of Korra
3. Community
4. Game of Thrones
5. Modern Family

Argh. I keep being told Game of Thones rules. I don't have HBO! I'll have to look into Legend of Korra. Never heard of it.

If I were you I would watch some clips on you tube to get ideas of characters in your head and then read the books, they are fantastic.

OT
1. Boardwalk Empire
2. Game Of Thrones
3. Screenwipe/Newswipe
4. South Park
5. Two and a Half Men

Sherlock
Doctor Who
Korra
Adventure Time
Transformers Prime

And I won't list reasons because I'm sure others on this thread have already done so.

Legend of korra
The big bang theory
MLP: FIM
I still like the simpsons even if I dont watch it that often
And Bones, I dont know if it still airs regularly with new episodes, but I got in to it around the fifth season and I thought it was pretty good

Boardwalk Empire
Game of Thrones
True Blood
The Wire
Peep Show

Doctor Who: My all-time favorite, but it's been too long of a wait for the next series.
Torchwood: RTD better deliver a fifth series or I will smack a bitch. At least Netflix has everything up to Children of Earth. That makes me a happy Whovian.
MLP: FiM: Don't you fucking start, haters.
Futurama: I don't watch it regularly, but it's still hilarious.
Colbert Report: For when I need some political humor that doesn't come from Fox News.

My top five current shows?

In no particular order, Adventure Time, Doctor Who, Regular Show... and I'm having a hard time coming up with two more. I guess Top Gear and Mythbusters. There's very little good on TV these days, has been since the start of the last decade, where we had a huge blast of post-9/11 cynicism coupled with the studios realizing how much money there was to be made on reality TV. I know HBO has some good stuff, but I don't get HBO, so that's out. A lot of the other stuff that people say is so great I hate thanks to the aforementioned post-9/11 cynicism (especially the Battlestar Galactica reboot. Way to ruin a classic piece of escapism, Sci Fi.)

Edit: forgot about Legend of Korra. That bumps out the current batch of Mythbusters episodes. Don't get me wrong, the show is still great, but they were better before they added the second team.

Game of Thrones
The Legend of Korra
Sherlock
Doctor Who
Top Gear

No particular order. And technically Doctor Who and Top Gear are ancient XD

im glad to see so many people here are watching The Legend of Korra.

as for other great animated shows: Archer, Regular Show, Adventure Time, South Park, Futurama, Young Justice.

comedy: Modern Family, The Office, Louie, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report.

drama: Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Justified, The Walking Dead.

im watching a lot of other great shows, but these are the ones i believe truly shine.

if i had to pick the top 5 out of all of those, i would go with Breaking Bad, Justified, Game of Thrones, The Legend of Korra, and Archer.

Launcelot111:

Rylot:

Senor Smoke21:
4: Community - Makes me sad it's ending, season 3 has been glorious.

I thought it got an extension, unless it got canceled again... Oh God... Nononononono...

Anyway, yeah for me it's Community, Daily Show, South Park, Archer, and Doctor Who in no particular order.

Yeah, Community's coming back for 13 more episodes at least. Thank the TV gods

13 episodes with a possible back 9 to make it a full season. :D

I'll say:

- Community
- LOST
- Parks and Recreation
- Breaking Bad
- Louie

The last episode of House (The almighty prince of everything TV related) aired last night, so I don't think it counts as being "on TV" anymore. (Unless you count syndication, but that leaves the race too wide open) But just know that if anyone claims that a TV show is better than House they're probably a spy working for what ever TV show they say is better.

1) New Girl: It's the kind of perfect storm of comedy gold that I haven't seen since Arrested Development.

2) Hell's Kitchen: It may seem cheep to call out a reality show as the second best thing currently on TV. But making people cook is magnitudes more interesting that making people sing or dance or any other bullshit. Gordon Ramsay is the best host/judge that's ever been on a reality show. I'm pretty sure I'd watch American Idol if he was in it.

3) Legend of Korra: Honestly I didn't think they could pull off a squeal to The Last Airbender because of, you know, the entire world being threatened by a hundred year war and all that. But it works amazingly well (Especially if what I think is going on is actually going on) Plus if I didn't put this on the list Tenzen would burn my house down with combustible lemons.

4) My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic: I like it so shut up.

5) I haven't watched enough other shows to give a good answer, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Battlestar Galactica, Person of Interest, Community. so I'm just going to leave fifth place blank

-Ponies
-Ponies
-Ponies
-Ponies
-Ponies
...Anyway in all seriousness:
1. MLP:FIM (in case you hadn't guessed)
2. Game of Thrones
3. Breaking Bad
4. The Walking Dead
5. Firefly (I'm not sure if this is recent enough, but still)

I really don't watch a lot of TV anymore, but I will always have time for these recent shows:

Game of Thrones
The Venture Bros.
The IT Crowd
Boardwalk Empire
Luther

I wanted to limit myself to shows that are still running, but if we're talking "best shows within the last decade" then no list would be complete without "The Wire" being within the top three. Only 5 seasons and 60 episodes long, that show was never afraid to touch any subject and never afraid to dance around an issue. It was the details that made the show so unique and well done, along with a remarkable cast of largely unknown actors who gave a real sense of realism. Definitely not the show you watch if you watch TV for escapism because the show's strong adherence to realism can make it a little too grim for some people.

The only other show I've followed this last decade that I left off the list is Supernatural, and that's because these last two seasons have been shit. There was absolutely no reason for them and they've tainted the overall legacy of a show that would have been considered a cult classic 10-years down the line. They did it for profit and at the complete expense of all the positive traits the show had and have left it with no real satisfying ending that doesn't either piss off a lot of fans, or leave it open to be further exploited down the line.

The funnest show on T.V is Robot Chicken call me an idiot or whatever but that is just funny. The other ones I can think if have been said Venture bros, Futurama, ect....

No love for House on here? It used to be my favourite... until it, you know, finished like, yesterday. Seriously though, I only watched it for the really gross diseases and Hugh Laurie, who pretty much carries the entire series by himself.

The Walking Dead I have kind of a weird on-off relationship with ... it was great in season 1, but season 2 had a stupid plot that went on way too long and the female characters appeared to turn into crying and screaming machines, and it got on my nerves. Maybe it'll be better when they get into the prison, who knows.

Sherlock would take way too long to talk about because I could say so many wonderful things, but if you honestly don't know from the many other comments about it, then damn... just go watch it and see. Also, Benadict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are the best double act on TV right no, srsly.

Game of Thrones because.. well.. duh.

Also currently ploughing through Eureka, and Dragonball Z (because no, I never watched it as a kid because my parents only let me watch BBC kids TV like good British citizens)

Only 5, huh? Alright, I'll try:

Breaking Bad-Everything about this show is perfect. Acting Cinematography, writing, take your pick: Breaking Bad has it nailed down.

Doctor Who-The Doctor, in any incarnation, is one of the best characters ever conceived of. Furthermore, this show simultaneously one of the funnest, goofiest, most inventive shows on television, and also has the honor of making the VERY short list of fictional media that has made me cry. That alone earns it a spot on my list.

Community: In the last three episodes of the third season, this show featured (without giving too much away) An episode almost entirely in 8-bit graphics, an elaborate Ocean's 11-style heist, an evil twin invading our world from a parallel universe, and a trade school behaving like a medieval monastery of some kind. You're damn straight Community makes the list.

Dexter: Not every season is a winner, but the ones that are....Are fucking amazing. (See: 1,4, and to an extent, 2) Some of the most intense stuff on TV. Writing and acting is incredible.

Lost: I almost didn't put this on here simply because this show ultimately failed to deliver a pay off, but the concepts introduced are just so fantastic, and you know, "Life's a journey, not a destination". And this was one hell of a journey.

HONORABLE MENTIONS
-Legend of Korra
-How I Met Your Mother
-Supernatural
-The Shield
-Modern Family
-Game of Thrones
-Scrubs
-Firefly
-Battlestar Galactica
-Fringe
-Red Vs Blue (totally counts)
-Futurama
-Prison Break
-The Office
-The Booth at the End (Go watch this on Hulu! NOW!!!)
-30 Rock
-Arrested Development
-Alias

And probably dozens of others.

-Top Gear (UK): The Hosts are amazing, everything they do is just awesome/hilarious, and it just creates an all around amazing blend of informative journalism, comedy, innovation, and I would say beauty as well. When you have gourgeous exotic cars against a gorgeuous exotic backdrop, me personally I find some of their episodes jawdropping because the shots they get are Breath-taking.

-Game of Thrones: An all around great cast (Peter Dinklage as Tyrion FTW), the writing and the plot is fantastic, good action sequences, all around makes for a great show.

-Boardwalk Empire: Steve Buscemi does an amazing job, I never thought he would be a good serious actor, he was always quirky, but he does such a good job as Nucky, the rest of the cast is fantastic, and the plot is great as well.

-Mad Men: Jon Hamm as Don Draper is fantastic, and besides that the casting is amazing, and the writing is fantastic, and overall its just a great drama. The overall story arch is awesome, and the the show can be downright funny at times, with some episodes touching on all emotions in one sitting.

-Archer: sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo funny. Anyone who hasn't senn it, stop reading this and go watch it. The most recent season (3) is amazing, 2 is great, 1 is great as well, this is probably the one show besides Top Gear that doesn't have any Meh episodes, they're all good, a lot of them are great, and a good amount are amazing/fantastic.

RUNNERS UP

-Magic City: Jeffrey Dean Morgan (The dad from Supernatural) plays an owner of the premier hotel in Miami, in the 50s-60s. It follows his dealings with the Mob and the Political powers, as well as trying to keep it as 'clean' as possible. The cast is pretty good. Can't to seee more of it. (this is it's first season)

-Breaking Bad: The only reason why this isn't up there is because I've watched and rewatched the above shows more than this, if this was a top 6 or 7, then this would be in there, it was really hard to choose lol. Bryan Cranston (the dad from Malcom in the MIddle) does an amazing job, and the overall story of his descent is beautifully crafted, and is amazing to watch. IF you haven't seen it, I would definitely watch it. It starts out kind of slow, but it picks up really fast.

-House of Lies: Don Cheadle is pretty fantastic in this, and the rest of the cast is great as well. It get's repetetive at some times, but this is it's first season so hopefully in the next it'll pick up, but over all it's pretty good.

-Last but not least, Futurama. Pretty much everything about it is fantastic. It's one of those shows were some people like it, others don't, so if you don't then whatever, if you do, I think most people will agree to pretty much everything about the show is fantastic, from the writing to the storylines, to the characters, and the spoofs, so good.

In no particular order:

Game of Thrones - You've all said enough about it. No need to continue singing its praises.

White Collar - For some reason, this show isn't getting the same love that Psych or Burn Notice are getting, and that is a shame. The characters are wonderful, and their interactions are done very well. This show is the main reason I still care about having a TV.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Another show I don't need to talk about. If you love it, you know why. If you don't, I don't need to try to change your mind.

ThunderCats - I was initially hesitant. Reboots tend to be poorly done, and ThunderCats was a huge part of my childhood. But the re-imagining was done superbly. The stories are new and interesting, and they nod to the old fans without blatantly playing to it.

I don't watch enough TV to pick a 5th, so I'll say the 2010 World Cup, because it's the only time I can get some real football on the telly in the States.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked