What's the point in watching TV series anymore?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I think we're getting dangerously close to a time where nothing but reality shows are on TV. Considering most new interesting series like Awake, Alcatraz and Terranova were cancelled I don't know what's the point in watching new series if they're not going to make it beyond season 1.

Most series were not totally amazing like The Event and Flash Forward and I would even say that most of them were just a Lost wannabe, but even then, even an average series is much better than those crappy reality shows.

I thought that after Lost we would get even more amazing TV shows that really blew our mind and surpassed movies quality, but it seems that all TV networks are interested is in mediocre stuff.

There are still some good shows like Fringe, but the future seems dark.

What do you think about TV nowadays and its future?

captcha: broken heart

Meh, I think you're just confirming Sturgeon's Law. TV series have never been overwhelmingly awesome. They've always been mostly "meh" or even "bad" with the occasional show worth watching and some who are tolerable. Part of why I don't watch TV.

Game of Thrones provides great characters and litterally an "Act to the Death" competition.

Also, Falling skies is pretty cool.

Your Fringe is my Eureka.
Its all about catching attention and retaining a fanbase.
Being on the right channel, time, and fads all have an effect on whether or not a show will make it.
Reality shows jersey shore, american idol and crap shows like 2 + 1/2 men and big bang theory cater to jump in jump out casual viewers who most likely dont care about following a series.

So like I said, if your story has an actual overarching plot you better make damn sure the individual sodes are interesting and draw a base

examples
bones
supernatural
house
(^hour long shows are even harder to sell)

It's weird that several series I'm following ARE going off the air this year.

Eureka & House are both in their final seasons and rumor has it that The Avenger's: Earths Mightiest Heroes is going to be taken off and replaced with a new series placed with in the Ultimate Spider-man universe.

Dude watch the following TV series

Misfits (Uk series)
Being Human (UK version)
Underbelly season's 1-3 (Australian series)
Blue Mountain State
Skins (UK series, USA version is an abomination. Oh and make sure you watch the first two seasons first)
Pioneer One (free to watch and download)
Breaking Bad
Walking dead
Shield of Uruk
Aegis of Uruk

And DANGER 5!!!

Seriously there are so many good series out right now. You just have to look out side the US of A from time to time.

go watch some hbo

band of brothers
sopranos
the wire (this more than anything else)
boardwalk empire
game of thrones
trreme
Rome
the pacific
oz

there are more lol

DoPo:
Meh, I think you're just confirming Sturgeon's Law. TV series have never been overwhelmingly awesome. They've always been mostly "meh" or even "bad" with the occasional show worth watching and some who are tolerable. Part of why I don't watch TV.

Game Of Thrones
Spartacus
The Wire
Sons Of Anarchy
Band Of Brothers
The Pacific
The Walking Dead

Either you have horrible tastes, or you're just not looking hard enough.

As long as they keep making shows as good as Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones, I think I'll be fine.

Tv is dead, long live the internet!

Being serious, I can't see television's future being a bright one. My parents and grandparents still use it, but very few of my friends have a tv license, and will just watch shows online. You can pick when to watch it, and what to watch, and it's generally free and legal, so yeah, no-brainer.

The problem is too many people thinking 'I wont watch it till it gets a 2nd season' or 'I wont watch it cos its on NBC so it will get axed' and these people are part of the reason they don't get a 2nd season.

And too much 'CBS is winning with procedurals so lets make EVERYTHING at have a procedural element.'

Tanis:

Eureka & House are both in their final seasons and rumor has it that The Avenger's: Earths Mightiest Heroes is going to be taken off and replaced with a new series placed with in the Ultimate Spider-man universe.

Dammit this is Transformers Animated all over again -_-

Its sort of screwy to be upset over Shows like Terra Nova and Alcatraz getting flushed. I mean honestly both shows were fairly bad. Terra Nova was just bland and uninspired and Alacatraz was trying to hard to be Fringe, but with a "hook" that acted as an albatross around its neck. Try as I might and I did watch the entire series, the ONLY thing that kept me coming back for more was Sarah Jones in what seemed to be braless floppy skin tight cotton shirts. If thats your best, your best wont do.

So thing is you have to remember that 95% (exaggerated only for effect, not accuracy) of television from the perspective of its developers exists as nothing more than placeholder content to keep people attached to the screen in between advertisements and it has always shown.

I know it would hurt, but we really got to get over this notion of advertising revenue being a viable business model. If your product is built around selling ads, then honestly your product need not exist.

WARNING: OPINIONSTM.

Side effects of opinions may include: shock, surprise, horror, being stunned, the vapours, clutching pearls and saying "Oh my stars", compulsive fanning, hives and tomato soup.
If you experience any of these symptoms, please quote me and respond by pointing out "Why I'm wrong." Please be aware that this can cause IronyTM, as you are expressing OpinionsTM

Homeland wasn't too bad. Grimm is pretty entertaining as well. And How I Met Your Mother is still just as good. Even the Big Bang Theory has a few good parts.

But yeah... too much reality TV. It can fuck right off.

Fraser Greenfield:

Skins (UK series, USA version is an abomination. Oh and make sure you watch the first two seasons first)

Make sure you only watch the first two seasons; the rest are awful. Terrible stories, terrible acting. I don't think that they understand that not all teenagers are pregnant and on drugs.

OT

Game of Thrones is incredible. One of the best things I have ever watched.
House is brilliant and addictive.
How I Met Your Mother - albeit the newer series aren't quite as good as the older ones, but it's still a great show.
Big Bang Theory - though not to everyone's taste.
Adventure Time is just....awesome.

I've been told that Community is good, but I've only seen the first couple of episodes. So far it's...ok.

Also, catch up on Sherlock if you haven't yet.

There is a lot of good TV out there - you just have to know what to watch. Saying that, I watch the majority of it online. I know what you mean about reality TV. And stuff like The Only Way is Essex, or Jersey Shore, or Made in Chelsea are just....just awful.

Game of Thrones is on, Castle is on, Burn Notice is on... I'm fine with TV right now, actually.

GAME OF THRONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LIKE OH MY GOD

To be perfectly honest I watch very litle television nowadays.

Most recently I watched "Breaking Bad" which was absolutley fantastic, I highly recommend it. My brother watches "Bones" which seems like it might be good, I may get into that.

The odd TV show catches my eye on Netflix, but I never really bother with watching actual live television. Maybe the odd documentary, but that's all.

Ooo, and "The Middle and "Raising Hope", they are rather good =D

Edit: And "Big Bang Theory", which is brilliant. So maybe about 3 or 4 shows at a time?

I don't know Game of Thrones has restored my hope in TV I haven't watched a proper T.V. show since 2008 and Game of Thrones has brought me back to T.V. I still don't watch it on my T.V. GOD NO I buy the bluray.

Castle, Eureka

, House, Fairly Legal, Psych(Especially the Cary Elwes episodes), and of course, Lillehammer. The last being an awesome show that's a strong beginning for Netflix.

Sure, there's a lot of crap on TV. But there always has been. You just have to find the good stuff. Scandinavian drama delivers on this front:
The Killing
Wallander
Borgen
The Bridge
And the US has The Wire and The Shield.

Are you serious?

Have you actually be watching television? 'Cause, if you were looking any any proper level, you'd know this was dead wrong. A sliver of the stuff I've been seeing...

Doctor Who
Generator Rex
Young Justice
Adventure Time
Regular SHow
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

...and just about anything The History Channel brings out.

ravenshrike:

SOWEWHAJEO[PASJHKGDH J[L;F/,.SEM G.,;D/FLF;./<g>?dfa>JGODF\KL[S#K'J;BLM,sd@~fl:

I need to continue watching Eureka now :P Hell yes!

But yeah, there are still plenty of good shows. Just look around, you can often find them in the most unexpected places. My Little Pony is solid proof of that fact.

the legend of korra is one so thats one awsome thing

pysch has been renewed
breaking bad
game of thrones

Lugbzurg:

Are you high? IRT is the worst piece of television programming I've ever seen.

Go ahead and watch all 7 seasons of The Shield. THEN come back and state that TV series aren't worth watching.

imahobbit4062:

DoPo:

Game Of Thrones
Spartacus
The Wire
Sons Of Anarchy
Band Of Brothers
The Pacific
The Walking Dead

Either you have horrible tastes, or you're just not looking hard enough.

Thanks for the subtle dig at me there. I don't think it was necessary, though. It's these shows compared to how many other shows there on TV? No, remind me, please - go and turn that into a percentage of the total TV time. I'll wait.

I haven't watched TV since I started uni. And considering I graduated ten yearsd ago, thats saying something.

Not to say I don't watch TV shows. But only on DVD. As the OP points out, there is far too much 'reality' tv, and the reason for that is because - in comparison - it is ridiculously cheap to produce, and millions of people watch it. Here in the UK (and yes, I realise by extention other countries too) we gave birth to the abomination that is Big Brother. Frankly, if I wanted to watch a group of inbred, attention-seeking retards trying to fuck each other, I'd head for the local concil estate. And thats one of the things that kicked off the reality tv epidemic, isn't it?

I have some vague idea of how TV operates in the states, and frankly, I think the system is a bit fucked up. Like I say though, since I only watch TV on DVD, I don't have to go through the drama of getting invested in a show only to see it cancelled midway through its first season.

There is quality TV out there though. Shame a lot of it gets either cancelled (before it can find a legitimate footing) or is dragged out waaaay past its sell by date (House has suffered this terribly.)

Lugbzurg:
Are you serious?

Have you actually be watching television? 'Cause, if you were looking any any proper level, you'd know this was dead wrong. A sliver of the stuff I've been seeing...

Doctor Who
Generator Rex
Young Justice
Adventure Time
Regular SHow
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Dude. You forgot about Phineas & Ferb.

OT: Awake got cancelled? I was planning on getting into that one. Oh well.

Well House is finishing soon so that'll leave Big Bang Theory as the only thing on TV I would watch (besides sports) until the seventh season of Futurama eventually makes it over here (probably quite some time) Well, besides re-watching the Pokemon anime online anyway =P

Crazy Zaul:
The problem is too many people thinking 'I wont watch it till it gets a 2nd season' or 'I wont watch it cos its on NBC so it will get axed' and these people are part of the reason they don't get a 2nd season.

Not really. While I agree that if a show interests you you should just watch it regardless of whether it will be cancelled, a shows Neilson ratings aren't affected by how many people actually watch it. Just how many people within their not really random sample of households which keep viewing journals for them or allowed them to install their monitoring boxes affect it.

Unless they asked you to let them monitor your viewing and you said yes, whether or not you actually watch a show doesn't make a bit of difference.

Ohh, and there's the new Sherlock IP coming out in the fall with lucy liu. If she plays Watson at all like her character in Lucky Number Slevin and the guy playing Sherlock is well suited to his role, it should be quite good.

Tanis:
It's weird that several series I'm following ARE going off the air this year.

Nooo! The Avenger's: Earths Mightiest Heroes is amazing! It'd be another sad loss. I couldn't care less about Spidey series.

Fraser Greenfield:
Dude watch the following TV series

Misfits (Uk series)
Being Human (UK version)
Underbelly season's 1-3 (Australian series)
Blue Mountain State
Pioneer One (free to watch and download)
Breaking Bad
Walking dead
Shield of Uruk
Aegis of Uruk

And DANGER 5!!!

Seriously there are so many good series out right now. You just have to look out side the US of A from time to time.

Interesting. Thanks! I haven't heard about most of these. I already watch Walking Dead and while it's boring and slow at times, it's mostly quality TV and one thing that gives me hope.

Waht do people have against the big bang theory?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked