South Park

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So I just wanted to gind out what people's opinions were on a popular, but seemingly Marmite, animated sitcom: South Park.

Personally, I'm not particularly a fan of it, and I tend to find its humour to be quite hit-and-miss (leaning more on the "miss" side of things, sadly). For example, the running gags that go on throughout the episodes and are, frankly, too juvenile even for me (such as "I have aides!" and the High School Musical parody episode). I don't know whether or not it got better as time went on, or maybe I haven't seen enough episodes yet.

However, it's not necessarily bad by any means, and can still be entertaining without having to be particularly funny. I occasionally watch it when I'm bored and/or lack anything else to do, and it's more tolerable than some other sitcoms (e.g. The Big Bang Theory, although at my school, it seems I'm in the minority for actually disliking it). I like the characters as well, especially Kenny, even though he doesn't do much of anything. But I just find the poor, orange parka-clad guy adorable.

South Park, and it's ilk such as anything Seth McFarlane shits out, is way too hateful for my tastes. Seems South Park is willing to demonise absolutely everyone on the planet except smokers, who are Gods among men, apparently.

I absolutely love the southpark episodes that are more cartoony and ridiculous like the one where they parody free willy and try to get the orca onto the moon. The political stuff is sort of lame, but some of it's alright.

I find it too juvenile for my tastes. Not particularly funny, and the voices were too irritating for me.

But hey, I like the Big Bang Theory. The acting is excellent, and the geeky references actually give it a whole extra level of humour for me.
And yes, I've seen the video without the laugh track.

It's one of the least juvenile things on TV at the moment and it's good.

Very good, unlike Family Guy, it actually got some real thought behind it and it's also downright hilarious.

I prefer the earlier series of South Park to the later ones (especially the first three seasons), and I will happily watch it if nothing else is on. Overall though, I would much rather watch Aqua teen hunger force, Lucy the daughter of the devil, Robot chicken and Archer rather than South Park.

It has it's moments but sometimes it falls flat. Don't know what else there is to say.

Occasionally it falls flat, but personally I love it. It humour may be hit and miss, but it's a lot more sophisticated than it seems to be on the face of it. It's not hateful like someone above has suggested, and it demonises very few groups in any real way. If it does, it just do so in order to emphasise a particular ridiculous point or prejudice.

Also, The Big Bang Theory is pure comedy gold.

the episodes are hit-and-miss for me, the misses mostly being about topics I have no knowledge about or connection to.

that being said, they still have a good 50+ episode that are pure gold.

besides the humor, which is obviously subjective...there's two things that have always impressed me about south park:

-no other show can capture the joy of being a kid and 'playing pretend' like they do.

-this one seems ridiculous on the surface because of their willingness to be offensive about anything and everything but.. looking beyond that, South Park has probably the most balanced and sensible moral compass on television.

TheBobmus:
I find it too juvenile for my tastes. Not particularly funny, and the voices were too irritating for me.

But hey, I like the Big Bang Theory. The acting is excellent, and the geeky references actually give it a whole extra level of humour for me.

I've never understood why I've seen member on here hating on The Big Bang Theory. I think it's hilarious one of my favourite shows. Maybe I'm just a moron.

OT: South Park's awesome, sure it's offensive pretty much all of the time but it makes me and others laugh. I love the Guinea Pig episode, I've pissed myself of laughter many a time because of that episode.

ToTaL LoLiGe:

TheBobmus:

I've never understood why I've seen member on here hating on The Big Bang Theory. I think it's hilarious one of my favourite shows. Maybe I'm just a moron.

Beats me. It caters so well to a nerdy crowd as well, with the Will Wheaton cameos, Firefly references and whatnot.
I watch it every week, without fail. Amy is the best non-original character I can think of in any series.

Hmm, might be this calls for a poll. I'll forum search to see if it's been done recently.

Really like the show and I don't think the later episodes are hit or miss. Yeah they go for the throat when they make fun of celebrities, or pop culture. Can't have every cartoon be a light hearted romp. Although there is quite a bit of potty humor, they mix it with funny jokes. Really have to say that the homeless episode was one of the funniest things I have ever watched. Do think that the two guys that made South Park, Trey and Matt, seem like funny guys as well so that helps.

TheBobmus:

Beats me. It caters so well to a nerdy crowd as well, with the Will Wheaton cameos, Firefly references and whatnot.
I watch it every week, without fail. Amy is the best non-original character I can think of in any series.

I watched the first season but for me the interesting part of it doesn't go past "Random pop culture reference/geek reference/socially awkward reference" I find it entertaining enough but I don't consider it particularly funny.

I did really enjoy the episode with Woz in it, and on occasion they do hit the nail on the head in regard to geek culture but for the most part I find it to be a little shallow.

OT: I love South Park, I was never a big fan of the earlier episodes but later on when they started putting thought into their episodes it became really clever. Family guy was the opposite for me, I loved the earlier episodes but the newer ones are almost unwatchable.

Some people don't like the episodes that poke fun at political issues but to me I find them awesome especially since they tend to poke fun at everyone and not just the ones that are easy to pick on.

I'd say South Park is easily one of the greatest shows ever made, till about season 12. So many crazy insane unforgettable moments and I love the controversy and that it seems they are on no ones side except the unpopular smokers and Mormons.

I have a juvenile and morbid sense of humor so I love it. I also like that the show doesn't usually go the direction I'm expecting and it's surprising and often thought provoking where the show winds up.

Oh, I forgot to say that sometimes, it seems to think it's cleverer than it actually is, and it occasionally feels as if it's humour that only the creators seem to or are meant to get. Because some of the gags in there are so nonsensical that I just don't understand how it's supposed to be funny.

But I guess everyone has any different tastes in humour. My favourite sitcoms are probably Friends, Scrubs and The Simpsons (in no particular order).

I get the feeling that a lot of people really just don't understand South Park humor, and just dismiss it as childish.

For most of those seemingly childish things you can find an underlying commentary on a political/religious/popular situtation.

I love South Park. Old or new episodes. The old ones are more original and have more of their own ideas. The new ones just mock about everything but some of them are hilarious because they're so good at it. Like the one with Al Gore, the pioneer village episode, wow episode, Bono, Jared, Jennifer Lopez, etc.

the only people matt and trey hate are scientologist's, and they have pretty good reason too

ToTaL LoLiGe:

OT: South Park's awesome, sure it's offensive pretty much all of the time but it makes me and others laugh. I love the Guinea Pig episode, I've pissed myself of laughter many a time because of that episode.

My thoughts on both shows.

I like it a lot.

There's certainly a lot of juvenile surface-humour but I don't think its detractors give it enough credit for actually being clever and relevant.

And how can you not love Cartman? Or Butters? Or Randy? You can't, that's how.

I think Archer is a lot better (because look at his tufted ears!), but South Park comes in at a solid second place.

I really enjoy southpark, its pretty much been all hit for me

The only real miss I can remember is one of the more recent ones where the kids went ziplining. That entire episode was just...meh.

I think it's really smart and does good in talking about political issues in a way that appeals to teenagers, it's always good to see a show trying to make people politically conscious, and for the most part they do seem to have good messages, but it's not my style, I just don't like their kind of humour, sex humour, scatological humour and racial humour are things that I don't particularly get, I always seem to miss the punchline or just roll my eyes when it happens, so really it's not my thing.

launchpadmcqwak:
the only people matt and trey hate are scientologist's, and they have pretty good reason too

Not even them, they only really hate one person...

"A lot of our fans ask us 'Do you really hate the celebrities you make fun of in South Park?' And the answer is, Of course not. It's all just in good fun... except when it comes to Barbra Streisand! We hate her!"

Alucard 11189:
I prefer the earlier series of South Park to the later ones (especially the first three seasons), and I will happily watch it if nothing else is on. Overall though, I would much rather watch Aqua teen hunger force, Lucy the daughter of the devil, Robot chicken and Archer rather than South Park.

This, all of it.

I thought the show was great and hilarious when it came out, but now I just find it ridiculous and uninteresting. All in all, I'm just bored with it, but I will say of the recent episodes that I've seen they're okay. I will watch it if I'm bored or at a friend's place and it happens to be on, but I'm not gonna go out of my way to watch it.

Although, I absolutely love the movie.

Well, I've always loved South Park because it's not afraid of letting loose. Some episodes that are built on one joke can be some of the best entertainment out there. (the WoW episode, the anime episode, the episode where Apple legally did the human centipede because noone read contracts/disclaimers.)

By the way, if you're looking for a tv-show to love, look up the following:
Community
Arrested Development
Blue Mountain State

Also The Big Bang Theory is lame - only gets about one small laugh from me per episode. Same with How I Met Your Mother once i realised it's always the same jokes.

Seeing as South Park constantly strives to push the limits further than even its veteran fans would have thought possible, it does occasionally get a little too over-the-top for my personal tastes. However, I greatly admire the warped, absurd morals it seeks to teach us.

A particularily brilliant example would be the episode where the school board has decided to be extra-special tolerant towards the openly homosexual teacher Mr. Garrison - on the exact same day that Mr. Garrison has decided to play up his homosexuality to Tijuana stage show levels in order to get fired because of it, and therefore entitled to handsome financial compensation. Cue free-for-all competition about who can be the most tolerant towards Mr. Garrison's antics, and dire repercussions for the kids who try to speak up against him.

Yup. With the aid of scatological, visceral shock comedy at its funniest, lowest and most blatant, South Park delivers the most honest, realistic and sensible morals you'll ever see on TV. It takes both wit and balls to broadcast this sort of thing on American TV. Especially for 15 years and counting.

(Sure, the morals are just as often parodic or just downright stupid, but that just adds to the fun!)

I absolutely love South Park. I guess it just caters to my sense of humour but I definitely prefer it to Family guy/The Simpsons etc, much to the disbelief of everyone I tell. I think it's extremely clever by working on multiple levels and looking at real-world/contemporary issues through the filter of the young characters.

Also, I find that a couple of very popular American sitcoms have a lot of obscure references that I can't follow, while I've never had that problem with South Park. Even if they're referencing something I'm unfamiliar with, they do it with enough style to be funny regardless.

As a cartoon which has also made me cry on a number of occasions I think that it's severely underrated.

I think its trash, the humor is crass, and the satire is poor and not really all that incisive. Sure, there are a couple of episodes that have made me laugh, but the show as a whole does absolutely nothing for me. Also, the fucking Cthulhu shit pissed me off. Cartman should have been driven insane and then been devoured, not become his partner.

CynicalB:
It's one of the least juvenile things on TV at the moment and it's good.

South park, least juvenile? Here's how pretty much every episode goes -

DERP DERP DERP, I AM stupid/moronic/retarded/obnoxious BECAUSE MY VIEWPOINT OPPOSES THE CREATORS!

WE ARE reasonable/sane AND SERVE AS THE MOUTH PIECES FOR THE CREATORS! Que speech on morality/common decency/viewpoint.

I love south park, because I'm both immature and into dark humor. But lets not pretend that it isn't juvenile. It's an incredibly hostile, obnoxious, and self - righteous show that completely condemns anything that opposes its point.

I like south park when it feels like it's not trying to be satirical but also not too crazy. My two favorites are where everyone you hear about in the media of the 2008 presidential election is part of an organized crime group out to steal jewelry, and the episode making fun of 24. I'm sure there is some satire in the presidential one but I can't find it, both are just funny concepts, and produce really funny moments.

My problem with Big Bang Theory (well...a lot of things, but I'll keep it brief) is to me, it's a stupid show about smart people. Yeah, it's got some references to things I care about, but that's all they are...references. If a character I can't stand makes a Firefly reference, it's still a character I can't stand. I'm not gonna clap and smile just because the show is trying too hard to cater to me.

Then you've got a show like Community which is a smart show about stupid people.

But this topic isn't about BBT or Community, it's about South Park.

Um...south park...hmm...

Eddie the head:
It has it's moments but sometimes it falls flat. Don't know what else there is to say.

That guy pretty much summed it up for me. There are episodes and jokes that I really like, and then there's stuff I can't stand.

For me it jumps around more than any show I've ever seen in the whether I like it or not category.

I do like it's random cartoony humor, like with Family guy
But it is very much a selective humor taste, definitely not for everyone.

South Park was one I loved as a kid because of the vulgarity but having grown up with it, I just can't watch it over and, over again like I can with The Simpsons or, King of the Hill. There are some episodes that I can always watch and others that I've sought out on netflix but otherwise, it's the kind of show I can watch but only once (for the most part).

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked