Anime's You Find Overrated

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Daystar Clarion:
Death Note.

It's a great show, up until that happens.

Then the series turned to shit.

Oh, Do you mean that!? Just as planned.

edit. I only read the manga, but I started to hate light as things went on. I hated the whole series after this brilant moment: image I hated him. I hate the whole series. I can't stand to see such a dick have so much power. I have never read a series that want to make me shot our main protagnist. Rant over. Anyway, I couldn't get past the first two epsiodes of Lain. It is too werid for me. The main hero got this look, that she is high as a house (look at her eyes)

Baccano! I consider myself a smart person, so it wasn't that all the characters and the fast cuts and the not-giving-you-a-hint-about-what's-happening-so-you-have-to-piece-it-together-over-scores-of-episodes thing was over my head. It's just that I think it was executed poorly.

No matter how edgy and cool you think your show is, you still need to be careful not to be so self-indulgent and to hide your work so deeply inside in-jokes and winks to your buddies, that it ends up insulting its audience. Baccano suffers from the most self-indulgent and winky writing, it hardly deserves a first viewing, much less the necessary second viewing to pick up on what you missed the first time. Unfortunately, a lot of Anime creators are drinking their own Kool-aid at this point, and consider themselves above reproach and too good for such things as consistency and maturity.

Unfortunately, it got tons of press and good will thrown at it for all the wrong reasons, one of which has to do with an ignorant fan base that does not understand that it is not nearly as original or unique as its hype states. But mostly I think it's because smaller minded viewers and critics equate the modern disdain many shows have for their audiences as "cool." Sort of like how bullies beat up kids and smack their girlfriends around, but end up with hordes of lackeys and chicks hanging around, anyway. People just sometimes don't know the difference between cool and asshole.

bruunwald:
Baccano! I consider myself a smart person, so it wasn't that all the characters and the fast cuts and the not-giving-you-a-hint-about-what's-happening-so-you-have-to-piece-it-together-over-scores-of-episodes thing was over my head. It's just that I think it was executed poorly.

Except it wasn't that hard to understand. I have never heard this complaint before at all. I've never even seen people mention this in its favor before. It uses in medias res and is fast paced as it jumps from one character to another and one timeline to another. That does not mean that it is difficult to understand.

No matter how edgy and cool you think your show is, you still need to be careful not to be so self-indulgent and to hide your work so deeply inside in-jokes and winks to your buddies, that it ends up insulting its audience. Baccano suffers from the most self-indulgent and winky writing, it hardly deserves a first viewing, much less the necessary second viewing to pick up on what you missed the first time. Unfortunately, a lot of Anime creators are drinking their own Kool-aid at this point, and consider themselves above reproach and too good for such things as consistency and maturity.

Example please. I really don't have a clue what you mean by this, unless for some odd reason dramatic irony and shifting perspectives at some point began to mean the same thing as self-indulgence and winky writing, in which case the same thing could be leveled at most of the greatest works of Shakespeare.

Unfortunately, it got tons of press and good will thrown at it for all the wrong reasons, one of which has to do with an ignorant fan base that does not understand that it is not nearly as original or unique as its hype states. But mostly I think it's because smaller minded viewers and critics equate the modern disdain many shows have for their audiences as "cool." Sort of like how bullies beat up kids and smack their girlfriends around, but end up with hordes of lackeys and chicks hanging around, anyway. People just sometimes don't know the difference between cool and asshole.

Once again, how can shifting perspectives and dramatic irony be the same as being a jerk to your audience. If anything it is expecting more of your audience as well as giving them more information than the majority of the characters they are rooting for have, in some ways making the viewer superior to the lead characters. And nothing is original or unique, and any criticism short of claiming something is a blatant ripoff of another work is pointless criticism to be completely honest. I've never praised Baccano for its originality, only for its characters and the framing device, which I find quite useful for delivering the story that they did.

MacNille:

Daystar Clarion:
Death Note.

edit. I only read the manga, but I started to hate light as things went on. I hated the whole series after this brilant moment: image I hated him. I hate the whole series. I can't stand to see such a dick have so much power. I have never read a series that want to make me shot our main protagnist. Rant over. Anyway, I couldn't get past the first two epsiodes of Lain. It is too werid for me. The main hero got this look, that she is high as a house (look at her eyes)

Even WITH that perspective, you could still (theoretically) enjoy the show, watching the good guys get one over on Light constantly, which they do after THAT happens.
It was fun watching Light squirm, as much as I adored most of the characters.

Zydrate:

MacNille:

Daystar Clarion:
Death Note.

edit. I only read the manga, but I started to hate light as things went on. I hated the whole series after this brilant moment: http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/239/JUST_AS_PLANNED.jpg I hated him. I hate the whole series. I can't stand to see such a dick have so much power. I have never read a series that want to make me shot our main protagnist. Rant over. Anyway, I couldn't get past the first two epsiodes of Lain. It is too werid for me. The main hero got this look, that she is high as a house (look at her eyes)

Even WITH that perspective, you could still (theoretically) enjoy the show, watching the good guys get one over on Light constantly, which they do after THAT happens.

True, but I couldn't watch it. Was so sick of his "masterplanes" and such.

MacNille:

Zydrate:

True, but I couldn't watch it. Was so sick of his "masterplanes" and such.

I guess that's fair.
Death Note is still one of the best anime's I've seen. It was intelligent and complex, but easily followed. I just loved watching everyone's plans form, executed, and actually succeed (Or sometimes gloriously fail).

I'm just gonna come right out and say it. Highschool of the Dead. Don't get me wrong as far as fanservice animes go the characters were all good until saeko starts doing matrix titties, and fucking triple fucking airborne summersault slashes, not to mention producing one fucking season, and never producing another.

Darth Carr:

Neon Genesis Evangelion.
I watched it again after a while the other day, and began to notice everything everyone was complaining about. Shinji's a whiny little bitch 'cause his Dad doesn't love him. Asuka delves further and further into insanity (and ultimately a coma) because she's a stuck up bitch. And Rei was given no personality whatsoever.

they become more likeable in the rebuild movies (especially Shinji going gar 2.0)
OT
I would say Naruto mostly because of it,s fanbase and the fact it,s still dragging on (the again this is a shonen series and those tend to have 200+ episodes)

MPerce:

SHOUT SHOUT SHOUT!!!!

Uh, I'd give Baccano another shot. The first episode just kinda throws you in the middle of everything, so I understand why you didn't like it. Once you find your footing, though, it's a really fun show.

Oh, an overrated anime! Eden of the East. I just found it to be extremely boring with a story I could not bring myself to care about.

I plan to don't worry.

I haven't heard enough people talk about eden to say it was overrated but I can agree that it was boring towards the end. I watched one of the movies and just could not understand what was happening but it was probably because I simply could not find a reason to care anymore. Interesting premise though it was.

Hetalia.

Just...Hetalia. It's like a good joke played over and over untill it gets annoying.

TizzytheTormentor:
(Raises lvl 100 flameshield)

The melocholy is Haruhi Suzimiya (FLAME ON!)

Also, Pandora Hearts, watched a few episodes, didn't like it, bored me quite a bit.

I would say Haruhi also but I got to admit that the Dissappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya was pretty good. It may have been this one scene that just made the movie.

I never saw much in Bleach, it just looks like DBZ with all the gloss filters turned on to max, and a demon theme over a superpowered alien scifi mellowdrama feel. I never bothered to watch too much of it, so I wont comment on too much of it but I personally never watched too much of it. Though I have heard the last few seasons were crap.

Don't get me started on GT lol.

Oh cool, time to vent a little.

1. Fate/Stay Night.

What a complete piece of rubbish. One of the absolute worst things I've ever forced myself to watch. Completely filled with plot holes and things that simply make no sense, characters that I couldn't give less of a crap about and just SOOOooooo boring!
Maybe the visual novel makes sense and is entertaining but, frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

2. Code Geass.

Seriously people? You like this stuff? I have seen so many people going on about how this is such an incredible series, but... why?
An incredibly dislikeable protagonist, incredibly dislikeable supporting characters, an incredibly dislikeable plot, Code Geass really does have it all! It wasn't smart, it wasn't interesting, and it sure as hell wasn't worth the time I put into watching it.

3. Gantz.

Just completely disgusting. Boobs and gore, what more could we need? Apparently nothing. Because that's all Gantz is.
I'd call Gantz everything that is wrong with some manga/anime, but it'll have to share that title with the next item on my hate-list:

4. Highschool of the Dead.

Yes, that's right! Incredibly busty high school kids amidst a zombie apocalypse. I at least understand why so many idiots love this series.
Thing is, without the frankly insulting level of sexualisation, Highschool of the Dead had potential to be pretty good. It's quite a cool premise, and executed by a competent creator, could have been a real winner. But it was seemingly written by a complete pervert, and as a result became some kind of justification for all the criticism anime is often plagued with.

5. Most of the long running Shounen anime.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge One Piece fan, and I quite like Naruto and Bleach. But their anime? I find it incredible that anybody bothers with them. So packed full of filler that it'll take you hundreds of hours to watch what you could have got in a tenth of that time by reading the manga.
I know this doesn't quite fit in with the other items on my list, but in my eyes, the Shounen anime that have hundreds of episodes are the most overrated series' around. People. Just read the manga. Seriously. It's better that the anime, and you'll be able to do other things with your life!

Ugh... that's been waiting to come out for a hell of a long time. There are so many more anime that I've seen that should probably be on this list, but I've forgotten about them. Because they sucked. These ones just stuck with me because their sheer awfulness offended me the most.

I would say Black Lagoon, but haven't seen it brought up enough to know whether or not it is highly rated anymore.

Still, it can't decide between over stylization or gritty realism, it tries way too hard to be "adult," and the pacing is terrible. Seriously, the plot structure always starts really slow, gives us the set up to a long plot of intrigue, only to solve it in a couple minutes with some gun fights that seem to be trying to copy John Woo without understanding why he was good in the first place. It might make up for it with strong characters, which it seems to suggest early on, but everyone just ends up degrading into a jaded asshole that doesn't give a shit. That isn't realism, it's just lazy writing. It isn't a "parody" of or "homage" to action films, it's just an action series that gets a whole bunch of things wrong.

Revnak:

bruunwald:

Except it wasn't that hard to understand. I have never heard this complaint before at all. I've never even seen people mention this in its favor before. It uses in medias res and is fast paced as it jumps from one character to another and one timeline to another. That does not mean that it is difficult to understand.

I will say that bruunwald is half right IMHO. The show is initially quite difficult to understand, in that by eschewing the standard narrative structure you do miss a lot of the details in the beginning. Now I believe that this is to the show's strength, in that it keeps you interested in watching and by watching previous events suddenly acquire a context and thus become meaningful. It is also intensely rewarding for repeat watchers as you are almost guaranteed to miss out some details on your first viewing.

Yet this does require you to have the patience to accept that when you first start watching the show you are going to be kind of clueless, you aren't going to properly understand what happens and as such you will need to be prepared to invest the time to keep watching to figure it out. I do feel it is fair for people to dislike this style, I know I loved it but I imagine without the novelty it would be more tiresome.

I don't think it is a point against Baccano being good however.

Magical Girl Madoka. I went into it expecting gods gift to anime, judging from what I had heard about it. What I got was a gorgeously animated show with some very obnoxious characters. I dropped it two episodes away from the end.

Madoka reminds me of the infamous Kira Yamato of Gundam Seed in her atttitude. All she does is whine and whine some more about how she wants to stop the conflicts but keeps refusing to become a magical girl. Perhaps it picks up in the last two episodes, but her bitching brought the series down for me.

Lucky Star. Every little interaction on-screen seemed so entirely mundane and overdone. I remember that the characters spent a good 1/3 of an episode talking about the inside fillings of some foods, with a stupidly simple background, and no character body movements. I'm dumbfounded as to how it has a fanbase of any notable size at all.

Angry Juju:

Daystar Clarion:
Death Note.

But Clarion, nothing happens after that.. That marks the the end of the series... There are only 25 episodes in Death Note.

Exactly, I don't know why people think something more happened after that. I found it to be a heartbreaking but very good ending, as it was something unexpected and worked out quiet well for the antihero(if Light could even be called such).

OT: Dragonball Z, any show where there is no real threat to the heroes of the show, and death is no hindrance, makes out to be a dull show. Take any battle scene and just change villains and you have a basic idea of the episodes, and the story itself was so clusterfucked but predictable at the same time that you could start any episode, not know a single character, and still have a good idea of what was going on.

Also, Naruto is overdone on both ends of the spectrum. People either like it too much, or give it too much hate. It's a decent enough anime. It isn't something scrounged out of the depths of hell and it isn't God's gift to the world, it's an anime that's somewhat entertaining and has a decent enough story when it's actually present.

Revnak:
In before all of them.

I don't like most shonen titles, though I suppose that's rather normal around these parts. I also really do not like the Ghost in the Shell movie. The show was a thousand times better in every possible way. I watched recently with a friend and we were both severely disappointed.

They made Xamd lost memories which starts sucking halfway through and then the ending ugh...

Hazy992:

Also, Bleach went really downhill after the first couple of seasons.

it helps considerably if you skip the filler seasons, but yeah :/ least the anime of it is over now.

OT:

Eva and Akira

i don't get how people can praise ether.

Eva i spent the whole time wanting to choke the life out of .... every one cept the drunk chick, cause she's the only one that didn't piss me off in some form or another constantly

and i just didn't get Akira, yes i've been told the manga is better but i saw nothing to make me want to go find it. that and the movie felt like 6 hours long

Lunar Templar:

Hazy992:

it helps considerably if you skip the filler seasons, but yeah :/ least the anime of it is over now.

Yeah I used to do that anyway. I stopped watching it after

because I thought it was just getting ridiculous at this point.

Hazy992:

Lunar Templar:

Hazy992:

me to actually, since it should have ended there >.<

have been following the manga though, and its getting good again

Lunar Templar:

Hazy992:

Lunar Templar:

me to actually, since it should have ended there >.<

have been following the manga though, and its getting good again

Dammit that actually sounds quite interesting! I might have to get back into in that case.

Well I actually did not really watch, just sort of faded in and out when my bro had it on but.....

I never really saw the appeal of Full Metal Alchemist. I gave it a try and, that one episode where Whinnery is kidnapped was fine (stop looking at me like that) but over all I don't see how it blew up like it did.

I never watched Serial Experiments Lain but that being said, I know it was more popular than Boogiepop Phantom; a series I absolutely loved. The thing is, Boogiepop seemed far less known even though a friend and anime fan told me about how very similar the two series are...were.

Dear god, where do I even begin?

Evangelion - Tries so hard to be philosophical and mature yet the franchise revolves around a teen whining and overreacting to EVERYTHING.
Death Note - Tries so hard to be intelligent yet the characters are so profoundly stupid it's sickening.
Elfen Lied - I'm pretty sure a little boy going through puberty in the 90's wrote this.
Naruto - Nearly half the series consists of flashbacks and characters talking about said flashbacks, not enough Rock Lee.
Bleach - After the first season the character design just nosedived.
One Piece - 545 episodes and no sign of slowing, poor character design from day 1, and I just can't stand the art style.
Shin Chan - Look at it, LOOK!
Hellsing - We get it, he can do cool stuff, does he have anything else going for him?
Devil May Cry - Like Hellsing, Dante just rips through any and every threat like butter and therefore has no real danger, and no plot.
Inuyasha - It's Twilight in anime form, bout it.

Hazy992:
Dammit that actually sounds quite interesting! I might have to get back into in that case.

the final arc starts at 480.

unless you skipped the fullbringer arc, then 424 is where you wanna start.
if only to explain the minor detail of Ichigo having his powers back and why he looks different

Lunar Templar:

Hazy992:

if only to explain the minor detail of Ichigo having his powers back and why he looks different

Oh yeah I forgot he lost his powers. Again -_-

370999:
Neon Genesis Evangelion is mine. It just seemed to throw in biblical references and be needlessly obscure and unforthcoming with details in an excuse to be depth. And loads of people seem to have bought it. Was a fantastic monster of the week show though...

Here is every Neon Genesis Evangelion episode you have ever seen.

Bleach. I lost interest around the time where people started to glow and shit new bankais for every battle.

Naruto has, at time of writing, gotten over the over-the-top and has two laughably untouchable gary stue antagonists in manga history, and I just can't get into the characters and action anymore. Shame. It takes a lot to screw up a show about ninja wizards.

DBZ: You know why. Glowy-shouty-for-five-episodes wasn't an entertaining formula, and hasn't gotten better with age.

Death note also got increasingly ridiculous as time went on, and at one point I just went 'Fucking what?! REALLY?" and stopped watching.

Fairy Tail. It's One Piece to the power of Rave Master without the charm of One Piece.

FMA. Could not get into the main characters or the main conflict of it all, even if the alchemy was quite neat.

Soul Eater. FMA problem, but I actively wanted to murder most of the cast.

Clannad. It wasn't that special.

And yet, noone will read this list nor give two shits. Why do I bother replying again?

Hazy992:

Lunar Templar:

Hazy992:

least it was cooler the second time instead of just 'owned so hard his powers vanished' like the first time.

Lunar Templar:

Hazy992:

Lunar Templar:

least it was cooler the second time instead of just 'owned so hard his powers vanished' like the first time.

Is his Bankai pretty much the same though?

There are three anime I find overrated and those are the big three: Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece. Now don't get me wrong; I think they're all good anime. However, it still feels like there is something wrong with each of them on some level that really brings down their significance for me.

Bleach has its good qualities, but I find that, while character development is there, it's often obscure and hard to notice. What's more, Aizen, the series' first big baddie, seemed to be pulling a lot of 'plan' out of his ass, though I can't say his explanations didn't make sense. Then again, I can say that a lot of the series' villains.

Naruto is good, but it's long-winded and a bit high-minded. These aren't necessarily bad qualities in themselves, but with Naruto, they're just enough to barely cross the 'preachy' line.

One Piece was certainly an original concept, being one of the few properties out there that can pull off the pirate concept enough and have an effective enough a rubber man to make things interesting for me. However, the journey of the Strawhat crew has become so long-winded that's become extremely difficult to figure out just where they are in their overly-extended journey. To quote a magazine that covered this, "It's success is its own weakness."

Hazy992:

so far he's only used it twice, so don't know if its mechanically different yet. since he's not relying on it for EVERY fight like he used to, hard to gauge how different it really is

unless we're talking about looks, then, yes and no. his new 'shinigami form' is a mix of his fullbringer and the old styling

Lunar Templar:

Hazy992:

so far he's only used it twice, so don't know if its mechanically different yet. since he's not relying on it for EVERY fight like he used to, hard to gauge how different it really is

unless we're talking about looks, then, yes and no. his new 'shinigami form' is a mix of his fullbringer and the old styling

That looks... different :P I keep thinking of Shakespeare from some reason :P

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked