Anime's You Find Overrated

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Hazy992:

Lunar Templar:

Hazy992:
Is his Bankai pretty much the same though?

so far he's only used it twice, so don't know if its mechanically different yet. since he's not relying on it for EVERY fight like he used to, hard to gauge how different it really is

unless we're talking about looks, then, yes and no. his new 'shinigami form' is a mix of his fullbringer and the old styling

That looks... different :P I keep thinking of Shakespeare from some reason :P

really? why's that?

Lunar Templar:

Hazy992:

Lunar Templar:

so far he's only used it twice, so don't know if its mechanically different yet. since he's not relying on it for EVERY fight like he used to, hard to gauge how different it really is

unless we're talking about looks, then, yes and no. his new 'shinigami form' is a mix of his fullbringer and the old styling

That looks... different :P I keep thinking of Shakespeare from some reason :P

really? why's that?

I dunno, it just looks Elizabethan to me for some reason.

Jonluw:

Danzavare:
- Clannad: Controversial, I know, but 3 episodes and it's painfully obvious that the main woman is oversensitive and useless and the man is an emo bully (Yeah, its okay to mock/tease the blonde guy but the second he hints you may like someone you get huffy and whiny). Bleh.

But...
The entire point of the series is how weak of a person the main character is.
You can't criticize the series for presenting the protagonist in an unappealing way when the series is about his unappealing qualities, i.e., fixing the flaws that are holding you back as a person.
If you had watched after story, you would have understood (Everything does make a whole lot more sense in after story).

It's also fairly important to the story that the main girl is weak and pretty much useless.

Edit: I know it's a very annoying thing to say, but you really should try watching the whole series before passing judgement on it. A valid criticism is that it sort of fumbles around aimlessly in the first season and doesn't get to the point until after story.
I can get how people are annoyed by that, but it does create a so much stronger bond with the characters than if they had jumped right to the point.

I know I'm being very annoying, but Clannad changed the way I think about a couple of things in life and is the only show to have made me shed a tear. It hurts me to see someone blow it off after the three first episodes because they don't like the main characters.

What I'm saying is Don't judge a story because you don't like the main characters as persons.

The fact that they apparently intended to have unlikeable protagonists doesn't make them any less unlikeable. You can portray vulnerability without have a 'delicate daisy' caricature as a protagonist. I couldn't care less if there was a good reason for it because the character as is, is simply annoying. If I recall, she was basically bending over backwards for the blue haired boy, automatically letting him become the authority and needing him to get her to do anything vaguely productive. He on the other hand was whiny. Every time he saw his father it was the same melodramatic "OH WOES ME!" run away scene. It's all jarringly melodramatic, like a poorly written soap opera. If her being useless is the point of the story, then I have to say the point of the story is quite ridiculous.

You can have compelling characters with flaws (In fact, they tend to be more compelling with well-written flaws) that are likeable or at least interesting. She is neither, that's poor writing. Nothing about her as it is makes me 'bond' with her or care about her bonds with others.

I know you mean well, but trust me, if I did watch After Story (Unless the characters and plot have no resemblance whatsoever to the early Clannad) I would end up developing a giant list of complaints, deconstructing the show till it's nothing but messy bits. Generally forcing myself to slog through a series only makes me like it less. I only got through Black Butler because a friend and I were making jokes and parodying it to one another as we watched. I'd wager that I'd only upset you more if I did watch the episodes you pointed out to me and told you my views on them.

That's a silly idea, characters aren't separate to the story. In most cases (And I'm betting this one too judging by the fact it's a melodramatic romance story) they play an integral part to the story or -are- the story.

I think with some anime it's just better to accept that you like it for your reasons. Instead of worrying about whether it is or isn't above scrutiny, just enjoy it. I for example absolutely love watching Trinity Blood, but I can happily acknowledge that doesn't magically make it a good show. It's bad in many ways but I like it regardless. My like for it doesn't negate criticisms of it, but those criticisms don't negate my enjoyment of it either.

Oh yeah Durarara, definitely nowhere near as good as Baccano was.

The Slayers. The main character is too much of a goddamn mary sue. Still funny though, but it just fucks it up at storylines.

Fooly friggin' Cooly!

How this keeps getting top ratings in anime circles around the world baffles me. So what if it's a coming of age story? So what if it was made to blow off steam after Evangelion? It doesn't make it a good show if it's brain-meltingly random like it is!

I will admit though, the animation and music are top notch.

Raven's Nest:

Revnak:

Raven's Nest:

Also Baccano!, the first episode was awful. It's going to take a lot of convincing to make me watch the rest.

It has been a while since I watched the show though, so I wouldn't be surprised if you were right about the first episode. It speeds up fast though. I suppose you likely have better things to do then to rely on the opinions of a stranger as to how you should spend your free time though.

Well if enough people shouted at me I'd consider it :D

A lot of people recommend not even watching the first episode because it contains spoilers. It gets really good

(Add another notch on the "people screaming at you" list)

Hellsing: It's not 'bad'. It's just not deserving of the praise some people give it. It's mediocre at best

Danzavare:
I want to say Bleach, but I don't think anyone rates it highly, even if they still watch it. So instead I'll say Hellsing. It's mind-numbing and not in a fun action way.

Hellsing or Hellsing Ultimate? Because Hellsing is utter shit, but Hellsing Ultimate is pretty damn good.

OT:
Blood+-It's hard for me to describe why I hate this show so much and I can't get my brain to make words right this second so I will just say it is quite possibly the most frustrating show I have ever watched.

Higurashi- Not because it's a bad show cause I quite enjoyed it, but because it's so hyped up as this ultra scary show and it just wasn't that scary to me.

Another- Same as Higurashi.

Excel Saga- Just...ya...not for me.

Evengelion- I tried to get into it, but I just couldn't.

Daystar Clarion:
Death Note.

It's a great show, up until that happens.

Then the series turned to shit.

That's when I stopped, they got rid of an awesome character and they weren't nearly as cool. Big letdown :(

henritje:

Darth Carr:

Neon Genesis Evangelion.
I watched it again after a while the other day, and began to notice everything everyone was complaining about. Shinji's a whiny little bitch 'cause his Dad doesn't love him. Asuka delves further and further into insanity (and ultimately a coma) because she's a stuck up bitch. And Rei was given no personality whatsoever.

they become more likeable in the rebuild movies (especially Shinji going gar 2.0)

I've seen both the rebuild movies, and while Rei and Asuka are certainly more likeable, Shinji is still a bit of a whiny bitch, however when he rescues Rei from Zeruel, He is certifiably badarse.

I can see what people mean about DBZ, I remember absolutely loving that show when i was a kid, so recently me and a mate decided to start watching it again. One thing i definitely didn't remember, is quite how much filler there was in everything; fights would be paused for like an entire episode for the purpose of monologues, it would take hours for anything to actually happen.

But then again, maybe pop cultures just destroyed my attention span.

And big disagreement on one piece, I'd say that although there are a couple of bad arcs and sometimes there's a bit too much penchant for backtracking, i think the writing, characters and action more than make up for it. Easily my fave anime. And its got some pretty interesting themes deeper down, makes me think.

tobi the good boy:

Raven's Nest:

Revnak:

It has been a while since I watched the show though, so I wouldn't be surprised if you were right about the first episode. It speeds up fast though. I suppose you likely have better things to do then to rely on the opinions of a stranger as to how you should spend your free time though.

Well if enough people shouted at me I'd consider it :D

A lot of people recommend not even watching the first episode because it contains spoilers. It gets really good

(Add another notch on the "people screaming at you" list)

I take your screaming list, and +1 to it. It gets mental, awesome show.

I think my shit list might be longer than my recommended list. Strangely my preferred animes always seem to be at odds with all of my friends'.

For the record one of the most overrated has to be Code Geass. Oh my lord, fuck that show.

Danzavare:

Jonluw:

Danzavare:
- Clannad: Controversial, I know, but 3 episodes and it's painfully obvious that the main woman is oversensitive and useless and the man is an emo bully (Yeah, its okay to mock/tease the blonde guy but the second he hints you may like someone you get huffy and whiny). Bleh.

But...
You can't criticize the series for presenting the protagonist in an unappealing way when the series is about his unappealing qualities, i.e., fixing the flaws that are holding you back as a person.
If you had watched after story, you would have understood (Everything does make a whole lot more sense in after story).

It's also fairly important to the story that the main girl is weak and pretty much useless.

Edit: I know it's a very annoying thing to say, but you really should try watching the whole series before passing judgement on it. A valid criticism is that it sort of fumbles around aimlessly in the first season and doesn't get to the point until after story.
I can get how people are annoyed by that, but it does create a so much stronger bond with the characters than if they had jumped right to the point.

I know I'm being very annoying, but Clannad changed the way I think about a couple of things in life and is the only show to have made me shed a tear. It hurts me to see someone blow it off after the three first episodes because they don't like the main characters.

What I'm saying is Don't judge a story because you don't like the main characters as persons.

The fact that they apparently intended to have unlikeable protagonists doesn't make them any less unlikeable. You can portray vulnerability without have a 'delicate daisy' caricature as a protagonist. I couldn't care less if there was a good reason for it because the character as is, is simply annoying. If I recall, she was basically bending over backwards for the blue haired boy, automatically letting him become the authority and needing him to get her to do anything vaguely productive. He on the other hand was whiny. Every time he saw his father it was the same melodramatic "OH WOES ME!" run away scene. It's all jarringly melodramatic, like a poorly written soap opera. If her being useless is the point of the story, then I have to say the point of the story is quite ridiculous.

You can have compelling characters with flaws (In fact, they tend to be more compelling with well-written flaws) that are likeable or at least interesting. She is neither, that's poor writing. Nothing about her as it is makes me 'bond' with her or care about her bonds with others.

I know you mean well, but trust me, if I did watch After Story (Unless the characters and plot have no resemblance whatsoever to the early Clannad) I would end up developing a giant list of complaints, deconstructing the show till it's nothing but messy bits. Generally forcing myself to slog through a series only makes me like it less. I only got through Black Butler because a friend and I were making jokes and parodying it to one another as we watched. I'd wager that I'd only upset you more if I did watch the episodes you pointed out to me and told you my views on them.

That's a silly idea, characters aren't separate to the story. In most cases (And I'm betting this one too judging by the fact it's a melodramatic romance story) they play an integral part to the story or -are- the story.

I think with some anime it's just better to accept that you like it for your reasons. Instead of worrying about whether it is or isn't above scrutiny, just enjoy it. I for example absolutely love watching Trinity Blood, but I can happily acknowledge that doesn't magically make it a good show. It's bad in many ways but I like it regardless. My like for it doesn't negate criticisms of it, but those criticisms don't negate my enjoyment of it either.

This is redundant, but you might wish to consider giving it another chance and watching more of Clannad. I was in a similar boat when I first watched it. I saw two episodes and was asking myself "Why is this so highly rated?". I kept watching though and it eventually became one of the best stories I personally have experienced.

The characters are flawed at the beginning (I can see why you'd find them annoying even if I disagree) and may look stereotypical at first, but undergo tremendous evolution over the course of the original series and especially After Story. Nagisa in particular is a cliche "weak" character, but the writers use that cliche skillfully enough that it rarely feels like pandering. Looking back on it, Clannad ranks as some of the best character development I've seen, in addition to its other qualities.

Just some food for thought, take it as you will.

[Kira Must Die]:
Soul Eater- Hated the characters, the story's your typical generic shounen, and the action is nothing extraordinary. There is nothing in this 51 episode series that made it worth watching. Thoughtout the whole thing I was just kinda pissed and annoyed.

Really? I thought the characters was the thing soul eater did really well. I found every single one of them to be likeable, even the ones who were meant to be annoying people weren't annoying characters. I thought that was quite an achievment.

Maybe it's cause you started watching it while you were pissed and annoyed instead of while you were in an anime-watching mood XD

Palademon:
Code Geass R2 had a bad build up to an ending. The ending itself was ok, but the 5 or so episodes leading up to that left so many questions in my head. So...Suzaku joined Lelouch because...reasons?

'Reasons' = He was let in on the Zero Requiem plan, unless I'm mistaken? (been a while since I watched the last five or so episodes)

RyoScar:
I didn't like the ending to Code Geass R2, but the rest of the show is very top notch in my opinion.

One suspects that perhaps in your case this had more to do with it being an ending, than the content of said ending :P

Bobsonnn:
I can see what people mean about DBZ, I remember absolutely loving that show when i was a kid, so recently me and a mate decided to start watching it again. One thing i definitely didn't remember, is quite how much filler there was in everything; fights would be paused for like an entire episode for the purpose of monologues, it would take hours for anything to actually happen.

Nazulu:
Dragon Ball Z wins the title since it takes forever to get anywhere in the story and it's written for baby's. Well OK, it had it's moments in the early seasons.

I loved it as a kid, I decided to get it and re-watch it. What struck me more was that it was actually less lame then I thought it was going to be. I expected it to be laughably terrible but it wasn't really like that at all... well to me anyway. Also the faulconer score was cool, ended up getting the music for those iconic character themes (something which the japanese music seemed to lack).

Also Nazulu, what do you mean early seasons? The mid-series stuff (cell and androids) was where it's at man :P

-------------------
For me I guess it would be lucky star or D.Gray man.
Well, not so much overrated as more just didn't really grab me. I think D.Gray man might have been a victim of timing though, as I'd already watched a few anime's at that point (having recently 'discovered' anime as it were) and found it to be pretty cliché and generic. If I'd watched it early I might have ended up sticking with it.

Some_weirdGuy:

[Kira Must Die]:
Soul Eater- Hated the characters, the story's your typical generic shounen, and the action is nothing extraordinary. There is nothing in this 51 episode series that made it worth watching. Thoughtout the whole thing I was just kinda pissed and annoyed.

Really? I thought the characters was the thing soul eater did really well. I found every single one of them to be likeable, even the ones who were meant to be annoying people weren't annoying characters. I thought that was quite an achievment.

Maybe it's cause you started watching it while you were pissed and annoyed instead of while you were in an anime-watching mood XD

There is never a time when I'm NOT in an anime-watching mood.

TTGL - It's a decent series, but not near the level some folks make it out to be.

Naruto/One Piece/Bleach - They're all overrated and mediocre with WAY too much filler to be enjoyed.

Given that I'm not a fan of anime (Or cartoons in general, and yes they bloody well are cartoons) I'd say all of them are overrated.

Daystar Clarion:
Death Note.

what do you mean by that happen, i am lost. please explain.

Daystar Clarion:
Death Note.

Don't remind me... I stopped reading the manga about 10-20 chapters after THAT.

Okay, I liked Death Note but the whole fanbase really makes it over-rated when everyone goes on about it. This includes, Naruto, and One Piece aswell.

Lucky Star was enjoyable for a while but eventually I got very bored and just stopped watching it.

Darth Carr:

henritje:

Darth Carr:

Neon Genesis Evangelion.
I watched it again after a while the other day, and began to notice everything everyone was complaining about. Shinji's a whiny little bitch 'cause his Dad doesn't love him. Asuka delves further and further into insanity (and ultimately a coma) because she's a stuck up bitch. And Rei was given no personality whatsoever.

they become more likeable in the rebuild movies (especially Shinji going gar 2.0)

I've seen both the rebuild movies, and while Rei and Asuka are certainly more likeable, Shinji is still a bit of a whiny bitch, however when he rescues Rei from Zeruel, He is certifiably badarse.

I really don't understand the hate for Neon Genesis Evangelion. I mean sure, Shinji is whiny but considering he is a 14 year old boy going through the shit he goes through, who wouldn't be like that? Asuka does piss me off a lot but she has her reasons and I still like her as a character. Rei however has reasons for the way she acts.

Yes, Evangelion can seem like it's trying to be all deep and philosophical but I personally think it does it well. Even if the plot can be confusing I personally have been able to figure out the show at least and to be honest, all the battles and everything else in the show is just a tool to show the true intent and meaning of the show.

Hmmm good question. Usually the animes I'd see as overrated are never really bad in my opinion they are just not the second coming of Jesus, what other people might try to sell it as; So, this question not only depends on personal taste but also how much I've seen other people mention it....

But, well, on I go:

NGE

The problem with this series is that somehow I had the feeling it didn't know what it wanted to be: a mecha action anime or a psychological/philosophical discourse. The story was messed up as could be - cluttered with so much redundant symbolism; Its absolutely messy and takes a good chunk away from the good points in this series.

And yes, I know all the arguments about NGE being a deconstruction of your standard Giant Robot tropes and generally being a classic - but if you want an Anime with a little more depth there are so many better ones around which have an overall better story and a generally better synergy between their philosophic discussions and the actual story than NGE has (for instance Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Monster and even Code Geass)...

Wolf's Rain

While the concept is very interesting and I like a lot of the symbolism in there, I never finished watching that show. Why? Because it was so utterly pretentious from the first episode onwards. You can clearly hear the writers in every scene saying "Look at this, we are so ARTSY!" - and to be honest this just ended up being whimsical for the most part; Couple that with a storyline that doesn't really succeeds in binding my attention at all and the only thing I can do is turn off the TV or watch something better...

But my undisputed winner in terms of being overrated would be:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Good god, how many people I've seen citing this Anime as one of the, if not the, best Anime in existence. I'd beg to differ: what the series does extremely well is going over the top in each episode, hammering in some cool new development and a fight scene. You can also feel the passion that has gone inside this series at each instance - its so optimistic and positive in its attitude its a joy to see. The problem is, that that's all: there is no shred of credible character development, not much depth as far as I could see and to be honest, there is a point in which a series just becomes ridiculous; TTGL does this on a regular basis. If there ever is a line in your head regarding suspension of disbelief, this series crosses it. All the fucking time. I mean I can live with a lot strange stuff in an Anime (think Claymore or Paranoia Agent for instance) but Giant Robots throwing galaxies at each other? My head hurts just thinking about it....

tofulove:

Daystar Clarion:
Death Note.

what do you mean by that happen, i am lost. please explain.

Some_weirdGuy:

Nazulu:
Dragon Ball Z wins the title since it takes forever to get anywhere in the story and it's written for baby's. Well OK, it had it's moments in the early seasons.

I loved it as a kid, I decided to get it and re-watch it. What struck me more was that it was actually less lame then I thought it was going to be. I expected it to be laughably terrible but it wasn't really like that at all... well to me anyway. Also the faulconer score was cool, ended up getting the music for those iconic character themes (something which the japanese music seemed to lack).

Also Nazulu, what do you mean early seasons? The mid-series stuff (cell and androids) was where it's at man :P

That's what I meant to say. It's been a very long time since I watched it properly but I remember I enjoyed the Android and Cell saga the most.

Daystar Clarion:
Death Note.

Edit:
Ninja'd

OT:
Naruto: why because my friend won't shut up about it.

ArtistImperfect:
I'm just gonna come right out and say it. Highschool of the Dead. Don't get me wrong as far as fanservice animes go the characters were all good until saeko starts doing matrix titties, and fucking triple fucking airborne summersault slashes, not to mention producing one fucking season, and never producing another.

Oh yeah. Totally forgot about this fan service tripe. Seriously, I think it would have been OK if those making it had picked if they wanted to do a gritty zombie apocalypse survival anime OR a fan service anime with a zombie apocalypse as the back drop because trying to go halfway between those two concepts didn't work. I would also add that I'm fine with it being only one season as it means I don't have to waste my time watching another season to find out if the series stopped being shit.

CODE-D:
Oh yeah Durarara, definitely nowhere near as good as Baccano was.

Thanks for the warning. Durarara was/is on my "To watch list" but if it's similar to but worse than Baccano! then it's probably getting bumped to the bottom of the queue.

keve4433:

Danzavare:
I want to say Bleach, but I don't think anyone rates it highly, even if they still watch it. So instead I'll say Hellsing. It's mind-numbing and not in a fun action way.

Hellsing or Hellsing Ultimate? Because Hellsing is utter shit, but Hellsing Ultimate is pretty damn good.

Just Hellsing, I've not seen ultimate. Is that like a season 2 or a reboot (or maybe different series)?

Savo:

Danzavare:

Jonluw:
But...

This is redundant, but you might wish to consider giving it another chance and watching more of Clannad. I was in a similar boat when I first watched it. I saw two episodes and was asking myself "Why is this so highly rated?". I kept watching though and it eventually became one of the best stories I personally have experienced.

The characters are flawed at the beginning (I can see why you'd find them annoying even if I disagree) and may look stereotypical at first, but undergo tremendous evolution over the course of the original series and especially After Story. Nagisa in particular is a cliche "weak" character, but the writers use that cliche skillfully enough that it rarely feels like pandering. Looking back on it, Clannad ranks as some of the best character development I've seen, in addition to its other qualities.

It's less that I was asking "Why is this so highly rated?" and more "How could anyone take this seriously?" but because of your polite post and spiffy avatar I will consider watching some more of it over my next holiday. Still, I can't imagine it'll be able to convert me unless it completely changes its method of storytelling and makes me forget about what I've already seen. Can you give me a specific episode or two that highlights an example of its good storytelling?

Captcha: Burberry

Edited - My original post was uncharacteristically optimistic - seeing Garrus in a top-hat does that to me apparently. xD

Danzavare:

keve4433:

Danzavare:

Just Hellsing, I've not seen ultimate. Is that like a season 2 or a reboot (or maybe different series)?

Savo:

Danzavare:

It's less that I was asking "Why is this so highly rated?" and more "How could anyone take this seriously?" but because of your polite post and spiffy avatar I will consider watching some more of it over my next holiday. Still, I can't imagine it'll be able to convert me unless it completely changes its method of storytelling and makes me forget about what I've already seen. Can you give me a specific episode or two that highlights an example of its good storytelling?

Edited - My original post was uncharacteristically optimistic - seeing Garrus in a top-hat does that to me apparently. xD

Hmm, Clannad's peaks in the story were definitely the last episode of the first season or the second to last of After Story. Both of those are major spoiler material though.

Its a bit difficult to suggest individual episodes in the main series due to the story running in arcs a good deal of the time. If you're at the third episode of Clannad, you are just about to enter the story arc that focuses on the character of Fuko. That lasts several episodes and establishes the tone for the rest of the original series and part of After Story.

However, if you wanted a random episode to watch that highlights some of its storytelling, this one is worth a shot

http://myanimelist.net/anime/4059/Clannad:_Another_World_Tomoyo_Chapter

Its more or less an alternate reality OVA that assumes Nagisa had never entered into the plot. Being as how it has one episode to work with, it could have been longer, but it does a fantastic job of telling a self-contained story. Its probably got a few spoilers, about the main series somewhere in there, although it largely is divorced from the main series.

TizzytheTormentor:
(Raises lvl 100 flameshield)

The melocholy is Haruhi Suzimiya (FLAME ON!)

Also, Pandora Hearts, watched a few episodes, didn't like it, bored me quite a bit.

Funnily enough Your avatar was going to be my first choice, then Haruhi Suzumiya AND THEN...

Well Katekyo isn't BAD...It just forgot the whole Mafia thing and ignored the great cast of character it has.

Haruhi has the best set of ideas i've seen, it could be the greatest anime ever but the story just never seems to move forward at all.

If anything most Shonen that are famous tend to be really Meh to me, It seems like Shonen never bother with what really matters on a story, and that is characterisation.
Naruto,One Piece,Bleach...

I Think elfen lied is shit, very very pretentious anime with silly gore oversexualized visuals and frankly the most bland and my personal most hated cast of the entire universe.

Revnak:
In before all of them.

I don't like most shonen titles, though I suppose that's rather normal around these parts. I also really do not like the Ghost in the Shell movie. The show was a thousand times better in every possible way. I watched recently with a friend and we were both severely disappointed.

I'll admit that Eureka Seven is not a series that someone can just easily tread. It's complex, boring at times, and the cast consists of a rather large, stylized and non-essential crew. Having said that, I do enjoy the giant mech battles, surfing emphasis, plot twists, character development for it's main characters and antagonists, music, and cryptic metaphors and messages that make the series interesting.

It's not for everyone, clearly, but I enjoyed it.

I would also say the the Melancholy of You Know Who is really overrated and I have no idea what appeal it holds beyond the obvious emphasis and love of the moe characters. A series in which the other characters must do whatever the titular character says or the universe suffers is kind of asking to have more emphasis on mature content because that's just where it seems to be going.

Flamezdudes:

Darth Carr:

henritje:

I really don't understand the hate for Neon Genesis Evangelion. I mean sure, Shinji is whiny but considering he is a 14 year old boy going through the shit he goes through, who wouldn't be like that? Asuka does piss me off a lot but she has her reasons and I still like her as a character. Rei however has reasons for the way she acts.

Yes, Evangelion can seem like it's trying to be all deep and philosophical but I personally think it does it well. Even if the plot can be confusing I personally have been able to figure out the show at least and to be honest, all the battles and everything else in the show is just a tool to show the true intent and meaning of the show.

The funny thing is that NGE is considered so overrated at this point that's its status of 'overrated' is basically null and void since most people (who know about it) hate it anyway.

Any anime that exceeds a maximum of 24-30 episodes immediately earns a black mark in my book. The only exception to this rule is the 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist series.

Anime shows that are terribly overrated:

-Bleach (for going on forever and having a plot that becomes drastically more idiotic as it goes on)
-Naruto (for the same reasons as Bleach)
-One Piece (same as the two above)
-Death Note (for killing L AND having the audacity to continue the series beyond the incredible rivalry of L and Kira)

Daystar Clarion:
Death Note.

Oh yes.

I still think Death Note is worth watching. Once. And then never EVER again. But it is over rated, and even before that happened, a lot of it is still a drag to get through (it gets so fucking convoluted, and riddled with massive plot holes)

I'm sorta surprised no-one has said Darker Than Black yet. But this also makes me happy. Because I like it.

Casual Shinji:

Flamezdudes:

Darth Carr:

The funny thing is that NGE is considered so overrated at this point that's its status of 'overrated' is basically null and void since most people (who know about it) hate it anyway.

So you're saying people who haven't even seen it hate it and consider it over-rated without even seeing it, just because of how much people have made it out to be over-rated all this time?

Savo:

Danzavare:

keve4433:

Savo:

Hmm, Clannad's peaks in the story were definitely the last episode of the first season or the second to last of After Story. Both of those are major spoiler material though.

Its a bit difficult to suggest individual episodes in the main series due to the story running in arcs a good deal of the time. If you're at the third episode of Clannad, you are just about to enter the story arc that focuses on the character of Fuko. That lasts several episodes and establishes the tone for the rest of the original series and part of After Story.

However, if you wanted a random episode to watch that highlights some of its storytelling, this one is worth a shot

http://myanimelist.net/anime/4059/Clannad:_Another_World_Tomoyo_Chapter

Its more or less an alternate reality OVA that assumes Nagisa had never entered into the plot. Being as how it has one episode to work with, it could have been longer, but it does a fantastic job of telling a self-contained story. Its probably got a few spoilers, about the main series somewhere in there, although it largely is divorced from the main series.

Thank you, I'll check it out when I get a chance.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked