Obesity Discrimination

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Discriminating based on the cosmetic appearance of people = bad

Denying an obese person something for reasons of actual importance regarding physical limitations/capabilities = pretty okay.

Hey, I know a chick that had some glad worked on in her body and she put on like 80lbs in 2 months. I talking from a size 4-5 to a size 14 quick! I didn't reconginse her tbh when I first saw her. Then in my head I was like "DAMN!"

But yea she has been working it down, because she used to run and work out all the time. I am chubby, have been the past 5 years.

I can't stand the horribly obese people, they make excuses and complain and breathe heavily and smell bad.. blegh.. I hates it

I think they probably deserve it to an extent. Discrimination isn't a bad or a wrong thing necessarily, when you choose the juicy strawberry over the one covered in mold, or the better qualified job candidate over the rubbish one, that is discrimination. Equally, fat people, for the most part, aren't innocent victims of whatever, they're active participants in their own costly health problems. People tell smokers off and ban them from buildings, etc., and what they do is no worse than being monstrously fat. In the UK, diabetes, a weight related disease, is in danger of bankrupting the NHS and being obese costs more to the taxpayer than almost anything else health-related. It is not something that only affects you. Besides, no one should be proud or happy to be fat because it is not a good way to be. All they're doing is costing other people money and killing themselves, and anything we can do to try and stop them is good: whether it be discriminating against them or anything else.

Unless its a matter of cosmetic appearance. That's bad because the way they look isn't what matters, it's the health implications that are the important thing.

Xiroh86:
So these two great women that I know started this YouTube channel called Fat Whores,

Perfect name if the feeling they wish to elicit is a deep desire to kick them down a never ending flight of stairs... On fire... And littered with broken glass...

Aaaand I made it 2 minutes into the video before I decided I'd rather jam fists full of rusty nails in my mouth and chew hard. They're boring to hear and ugly to see. So, that's "Game over" on that one.

Instead I'll comment on the subject of "discrimination" of obese people: The word is overused and misunderstood.

First things first, being fat is, in 99.9% of cases, NOT like being gay, or black, or anything else of the sort. You aren't born fat. You get fat because you continuously scarf down more calories than you burn. It's not magic. You don't choose to be gay. You do choose to be fat.

Conversely, being gay, or black, or other such "things people discriminate against" carries absolutely no negatives to the person. If you are gay the only thing you suffer from is people being douchebags. Being fat DOES come with serious health implications. So no only is it a choice, it's a choice that fucks you up.

THAT said: It's your own life, live it as you wish. If what you want out of life is to eat hamburgers till you become an avatar of lard, go right ahead. That's your problem. Just don't bitch about it.

No, it's not generally considered to be pretty. Some people love it, most people don't. You don't get to complain about not being considered attractive. No, it's not discrimination anymore than someone not being attracted to blonds, or finding a specific shape of vagina unattractive. It just so happens that the majority dislikes obesity. Don't like it? Stop being fat. Don't care? Then don't bitch.

"IS IT BECAUSE I'M FAT!" Yes. I also don't like heavily pierced women..........DISCRIMINATION!!!!!11one.

Oh, and if you ever complain about being forced to pay for 2 tickets because you take up 2 fucking seats you deserve to be punched repeatedly in the face till you're gushing that marmelade-like substance you have instead of blood. "BUT IT'S DISCRIMINATION!!!" Hey dumbfuck, how many seats are you occupying? Two. That's how many you're paying for. Sounds about right. I pay for 1 seat because I occupy ONE fucking seat. If I wanted to lay down across three sits the entire ride I'd have to pay for those too. It's not my fault, or the airline's/train company's/etc... that you ate your way into requiring twice the space a normal person does. Deal with it.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying it's ok to harass fat people because they're fat. If you're happy being fat, then be as fat as you fucking like! If that's how you enjoy life, nobody should try to take that away from you. What I'm saying is that the crushing majority of complaints I hear about "DISCRIMINATION AGAINST OBESE PEOPLE!" is usually just obese people bitching about stupid shit. "Oh naaaaaaay... I can't get a boyfriend easily because I look like the Michellan Man impregnated a donut dunked in mayonnaise!". Deal with it.

Well, being fat IS bad. Whether it's a side effect of a disease or other.
That's another thing. FATNESS is NOT a DISEASE. It may be a SIDE EFFECT, but not a DISEASE itself. Just like being under weight isn't.

It has a stigma of laziness and greed. Which in most cases, is fairly accurate.
Personally I find it very unpleasant too look at. I'm talk obese here though, a little chubby is more then appreciated.

according to science, being morbidly obese is linked with stupidity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-hB-sZIPBIk&list=UUlFSU9_bUb4Rc6OYfTt5SPw#t=234s , and there are actuall newspapers in the links if you don't want a man talking to you). So it's possibly not bias against very fat people, but very fat people also share a large section of quite dumb people. Perhaps. Maybe.

ToastiestZombie:

IndomitableSam:
SNIP

#

You can't be born fat, you can be born so that you need to do more exercise to get thin. But you can't be born fat, and stay like that. Also, those surgeries cost thousands of dollars, so people don't pick on other people for not having them because of course they can't afford it. Let me ask you something, how much is it to go for a run? How much is it to go to the local park and do some exercise? How much is it to do about fifty push ups each day to keep fit. If you awnsered nothing, then you are correct. They may not be able to afford healthy food, but they can definetly afford to do exercise. I just hate it when I see people going "Stop making fun of me for my weight, it's who I am!" when all they are doing is trying to justify having a lifestyle that will kill them early. There is no reason why a person can't do exercise (unless of course they are disabled) so why should we let fat people get off it because we don't want to hurt their feelings? Also, if you become fat enough you become disabled you deserve everything that you get, you aren't unlucky or a victim of anything. You brought it upon yourself by not exercising and eating fast food every day of the week when you could easily afford to make your own nice and healthy meals.

I'm fat, and I accept all of what you said as true. I also don't make any excuses for it. And I'm not going to pretend I'm proud of it. But I simply can't be bothered to do those 50 pushups a day. I'm aware this is shortening my lifespan and I'm sure at some point I'll get around to actually exercising (some point soon). But I'm doing it because I want to be fit enough to play sport, and run longer, and fit into clothes.

My point here, is that you said people don't pick on you for not being able to afford operations. And you then go on to ask how much exercise costs. (of course free).

Does this mean they pick on me because I simply choose not to exercise? What's it to them? Why would I give a flying fuck about whether or not someone else wants me to exercise? I'll do it for me, and I'll do it when I am good and ready. Not cause some jackass just thinks I should.

As a side note: Outside of junior school I've never ever been given shit for being fat though. So my point was purely hypothetical. It just seems like you were annoyed at the mere existence of fat people.

There is definitely discrimination against fat people, that's obvious. I also don't think the issue of "food addiction" is covered nearly as often as it should. Yes, I firmly believe that food can have the same "nurturing" qualities of drugs and alcohol. Think about it, it's already been established that hardcore alcoholics, and hardcore drug-addicts, aren't just destroying themselves out of whimsy. We know now that if someone has a serious drug or alcohol problem it stems from somewhere. So, why is it that we still think someone will just eat themselves to upwards of 600 POUNDS, and say they're just lazy? No one does that, it doesn't make sense. Someone doesn't just make themselves gigantic for the hell of it.

edit

they do, but I don't think it's undeserved. *raises flame shield*

Brian Conmy:
Over a month ago I stood on the scales and was actually disgusted with the weight I was at, 'll admit it was 241 pounds. 'm only 5'10, that's a ridiculous weight. Since then with basic diet and exercise 'm already down to 224lbs and am not gonna stop till I hit a weight 'm happy with. This was my choice but even in the limited time 've been losing weight I notice I already judge people based on their shopping baskets in grocery stores. It's involuntary and I don't like judging people but it's hard when you see someone massively overweight with a basket full of pizzas and white bread.

I don't think it's right to discriminate based on weight but the obesity epidemic is increasing healthcare costs at a time when money is tight for everyone. When a few people's choice (not everyone who's overweight is in control of it and I don't wanna discriminate against those people) affects the rest of us then... Maybe we can positively discriminate? Get health insurance cost decreases for people in healthy weight ranges or something. Just a thought

Fuck exercise (though that is good). If you really want to lose weight then cut your food intake, I lost 3 and a half stone in about 3/4 of a year just by cutting down on snacks and reducing portions and cutting out fizzy drinks.

Isn't majority of the population overweight here in North America?

Is it even possible to discriminate against the majority of the population?

Matthew94:
Fuck exercise (though that is good). If you really want to lose weight then cut your food intake, I lost 3 and a half stone in about 3/4 of a year just by cutting down on snacks and reducing portions and cutting out fizzy drinks.

I laugh inside whenever I hear a Brit call sodas "fizzy drinks", it's even better than "pop". Thank you for that.

I think they probably do, but I haven't seen any studies showing the real economic impacts of it. I do wonder how much factors secondary to obesity, like self esteem or health, might be a part of it.

I honestly do not care what anyone says, fat people while causing multiple problems for our society (especially Australia and the US), they shouldn't be discriminated against. As much as I hate the amount of money spent upgrading facilities to accommodate fat people, I think discrimination is a step backwards in terms of where the world is going. While this is a self imposed problem and I do not feel sympathy for these people, I don't think going out and abusing them is really the right idea. OT, I do think that a large percentage of people are discriminant against fatty's, but in saying that I can understand where they come from, but would rather they didn't.

x-machina:
Isn't majority of the population overweight here in North America?

Is it even possible to discriminate against the majority of the population?

Study a bit of IR (International Relations), you'll understand that it is more than possible to discriminate against a majority population.

As a fat person in the process of losing weight (start 225, down to 190 in 6 months atm @ 5'11), I no longer have sympathy for fat people. Losing weight is incredibly easy. My weight loss isn't even significant compared to what some people are able to accomplish, but its been easy as hell. A bit of research to understand how food works, a few hours of designing a diet, and poof! Magic? No, common sense.

I've talked to some people and they mention they could never diet because they couldn't give up the sweets. In my opinion, if you don't have the willpower to give up a bit of sugar to lose weight, then you don't really care about losing weight, and you don't deserve to lose it.

It's perfectly okay to discriminate against fat people such as myself. It's my fault.

I accept being judged for my own actions.

mrhappy1489:
I honestly do not care what anyone says, fat people while causing multiple problems for our society (especially Australia and the US), they shouldn't be discriminated against. As much as I hate the amount of money spent upgrading facilities to accommodate fat people, I think discrimination is a step backwards in terms of where the world is going. While this is a self imposed problem and I do not feel sympathy for these people, I don't think going out and abusing them is really the right idea. OT, I do think that a large percentage of people are discriminant against fatty's, but in saying that I can understand where they come from, but would rather they didn't.

So you agree that you can still discriminate against something that isn't absolutely innate or concrete about you (which I agree with by the way)? I totally understand where you're coming from and I don't understand how people simply say that the problem being self inflicted makes it okay to abuse people. It's like saying that I accidentally cut my hand off because I got distracted and it's okay to mock and verbally harass me for it because I wasn't paying attention. Or like how people say it isn't discrimination regarding religion because you can pick it. Yeah it isn't like it's a heavily culture based belief system that influences many aspects of your life, if people hassle you for it just change it! I know I'm kind of stretching and obesity can be countered with simple willpower and education but many people simply don't have that. This is met with "you're not motivated, that's your problem get motivated" but it isn't like you can just get willpower or motivation out of thin air, that's a whole new problem all together. For many people "excuses" is actually is actually a vicious cycle that they need support, not stigma to break.

Whatever I'm rambling.

Yeah, people love to hate fat people, but I swear it's not as much as fat people love to hate fat people. It's like if a skinny person makes a fat joke, a fat person will get offended because they didn't make it fast enough themselves. And this is coming from a thin guy with very low self esteem. I used to think the anti-fat thing was overblown, but fat people happen to get (privately) made fun of the most at my workplace and I think it's because I work with a couple fitness-obsessed individuals. They actually get mad because fat people aren't trying to work out. I don't understand it. I really don't like to hear fat people constantly make excuses for their weight, especially when no one asked. That does get annoying.

Personally, I don't think I've ever specifically disliked someone because they were fat. I've avoided smelly people (which can be related), but having worked with more fat people, I've learned that they don't necessarily have to be stinky if they don't want to be. Also with the exception of one other person, by entire extended family is fairly rotund, so I'd say obesity is likely in my future.

If being a land whale was solely or even mostly caused by genetics, land whales would be evenly spread across the entire population of the Earth.

They aren't.

Discriminate away. And I say this as a fatty who's dropped two jean sizes because I stopped shoveling food into my piehole.

Edit: Double.

Abedeus:
I know of at least two families that can eat like pigs, smoke and don't exercise, but everyone is slim as hell.

If Bell's Curve is real (and usually is), the opposite is true for people with stunted or extremely slow metabolism that require few times more exercise to even stay at same weight, much less lose it.

Fun fact: You know the typical weight-loss regimen? If someone within the socially-acceptable weight limits adopts such habits, that's usually considered symptomatic of body dysphoria, an eating disorder, or both.

Know what I'm saying?

Chairman Miaow:
Honestly, people should discriminate against fat people. I used to be really fat, and I did something about it,and I should keep going, so I don't die when I'm 40. If there wasn't any stigma, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

I would rather be picked on than dead, or immobile.

See that doesn't really work, I used to frequent my local gym (Exams stopping me right now I'll be back in once they're over) and often I would see large people come in and try to get their act together but they would have to deal with so many snide remarks from meat heads and (for the lack of a better term) Bitches that they end up leaving because the environment was so hostile. Heck I used to think they just left because they gave up putting in the work but I've seen fully grown men in tears because of the shit they have to put up with.

Daystar Clarion:
Save the whales, harpoon a fat chick

Can't remember where I heard that line but it's freakin' terrible :D

Being fat is associated with greed and/or a lack of self control/discipline.

Besides, there's a difference between being a bit chubby, and being obese.

Hey! It can also mean just a Love for extremely tasty Foods :) (Oh, Sea-Salt Ice Cream, How I love thee)

tobi the good boy:
See that doesn't really work, I used to frequent my local gym (Exams stopping me right now I'll be back in once they're over) and often I would see large people come in and try to get their act together but they would have to deal with so many snide remarks from meat heads and (for the lack of a better term) Bitches that they end up leaving because the environment was so hostile. Heck I used to think they just left because they gave up putting in the work but I've seen fully grown men in tears because of the shit they have to put up with.

Ten to one someone's going to use this as "proof" of weak will on their part. Because, clearly, if you don't want to keep walking into a hostile environment, you're a wimp.

I despair of humanity at times.

Xiroh86:
Now, and this is partially my fault, but you, and almost everyone on the planet thinks "obese" = 'morbidly obese." This is not the case however. Obese is just the technical term for someone who is overweight. It is based on the BMI (Body Mass Index) which is based on height and age range. Interestingly enough, based on BMI (which is the standard, at least in the US) most professional athletes are obese.

These days the move in medicine is use "waist circumference" rather than BMI, because of how it can vary quite easily. Though extreme BMI results are still useful with people severely over/underweight. There was a patient at my hospital with a BMI of 75. Most people don't weigh 75 in kilos.

Being fat is not a lifestyle.
It's not a creed or a belief or a race or ethnicity.
It's just unhealthy.
Stop saying that it's okay.
It's not.
It's a serious problem.

That is not to say however, that fat people are amoral. THAT ISN'T THE PROBLEM.
The problem is that poverty systemically makes people fat.
I'm not saying we should kick the shit outta fat kids, but we sure as hell shouldn't pretend that there isn't anything wrong.

It's not discriminatory to say that I don't want people to be obese.

Overweight = 25 - 29 BMI
Obese = 30+ BMI

Obesity is definitely a problem. Health, safetly, and concern for others.

If I am on an airplane next to an obese person, I want to have them pay for a second seat rather than make my flight miserable by spilling into my side.

If I live in a country with national health care, I want obese people to exercise more. I'd also support putting higher taxes on unhealthy foods (just as many countries put higher taxes on cigarettes).

I am currently overweight, but have often slipped over into obese. At which point I take up exercising again and try to slim down. It makes me more efficient at both work and play, and increases the odds that I will see what kinds of people my daughters become when they grow up by lowering my odds of death by all sorts of things whose odds of killing me greatly go up if I am obese.

All that said, if someone really enjoys being obese, and it doesn't affect me directly (i.e. squeezed into 1/3 of the seat I paid for) or indirectly (i.e. my taxes paying for all the additional treatments you need due to your poor health), than sure, go for it. You are likewise just as free to be a smoker, furry, or twihard. My disgust for your habit doesn't mean you can't do it. Just that I shouldn't have to pay for it.

That's a pretty shitty channel, and I don't view it as common to discriminate against obese people. Discrimination is the process of making unfair presumptions about people based on what they look like, what they believe, where they come from, etc...

Sure, going so far as to say you're a lesser person because you're obese would probably be considered actual discrimination, but I think most things people would hold against fat people would be valid.

As a morbidly obese person you are prone to endless health risks that normal people are less prone towards, you're physically handicapped, more likely to take sick days or just flat out die at any given moment, not to mention the most common cause of obesity is eating disorders, in other words, a mental issue, extra baggage.

The above are perfectly valid reasons to explicitly tell a person you will not hire them because they are fat. Works for dating too, healthy people are just better.

Genetics is also a BS excuse to nullify the validity of such arguments. I was born a male, it's in my genetics, I just can't help the fact. If I said insurance companies were discriminating against me for charging me more money than females, would that really hold up in court? Especially when insurance is involved, men tend to cost more for the company. Just like how fat people tend to be more taxing on the system than healthy people.

EDIT:

For the record, I don't hate fat people, I'm just being realistic here. Obesity is a handicap that holds them back behind regular people.

Fat/Chuby is fine, but obese people deserve what they're getting. If the obese person can act like a human being then I don't have much of a problem with them, but if they've eaten themselfs into a mobility scooter, then I see no problem with having a go at them. No it's not descrimination because it's justified.

(*If it is caused by a medical problem etc. then it's a different story.)

RazadaMk2:
Discrimination against those who choose to live an unhealthy lifestyle is totally fine.

No, it's not.

Obesity is usually not the result of a conscious choice. It's a result of
-being poor and only having access to shit food. LIVING in a poor area means your food selection is already restricted because shops stock shittier food. This is actually true: Shops in poor districts carry less healthy food, less vegetables, more instant shit
-being poor and thus in a situation that leads to long working hours and very little time to prepare healthy food
-being sick mentally, for example due to depression (which, if you know anything, is indeed a real affliction of the mind)
-being sick physically, as there are multiple afflictions and diseases that will make you fat
-being a woman, because "obese" as a woman is defined as "any body shape that isn't anorexic"
-being born fat, because your metabolism works that way

Yes, someone that consciously eats shit food has little excuse, but...that's not why most people are obese. Statistically, the "lazy person that just eats lot" is rare among fat people. Most have health or money reasons for it.

Sorry that I brought reality and facts into it.

Yes, if you are a decent person, you don't mock overweigth people - you likely are bashing someone that *is not at fault*. IN the case of a depressed person, you and scum like you are likely the reason the person is fat in the first place. So good work making things more expensive for all of us.

Hey, I'm skinny, but I wouldn't randomly bash overweigth people. Why? Because I'm not scum. Being scum is a choice. Make sure not to make it.

Being fat is not a lifestyle.
It's not a creed or a belief or a race or ethnicity.
It's just unhealthy.
Stop saying that it's okay.
It's not.
It's a serious problem.

Nah. You and your lack of education are a serious problem. THAT is a choice: You can choose to stop being ignorant.

Of course, people like you, as you show here, love wallowing in their ignorance like a pig wallows in mud.

usmarine4160:

Ahri:

At the end of the day, their weight is their 'problem', not mine.

Until their medicals bills become your tax increase.

So when's the last time taxes got increased because there's been a higher count of obesity-related health problems? I can think of one...uh...like, never, really.

I personally think obesity is one of those things that can be easily kept in check if people used their brains a little, but I won't go out of my way to actually be a wiseass about it. After all, I've smoked for years and only quit last year. So yeah, I don't see a reason for going knight templar on anyone.

And, I must say, this lady has a point:

IndomitableSam:
All said and done, everyone is doing something with their life someone else will think is bad and/or wrong.

ToastiestZombie:

Abedeus:
SNIP

Yeah I once saw a show where they got a bunch of skinny people, made them eat a LOT of food. Only about 3 of the 10 people gained weight, and even then not much. Same goes for some fat people, but the difference is that from my knowledge there can't really be anything that can stop fat being burnt away by exercise, or less fat coming in. You may have to do a bit more exercise if you have a bad metabolism. But if you complain about being discriminated against when you aren't doing the right amount of exercise for your metabolism then you're just a massive twat.

Okay. Last September I was after a harsh died when I lost 30 pounds. I was within normal BMI for once in my life. I regained probably almost everything (at least 20 pounds, I bet) because I had a surgery and was unable to swim, ride bike or do any exercise for few months (except physiotherapy for my arm). Now I'm on a diet again.

How is it worse when I complain about indiscrimination (when I was unable to do that "right amount of exercise for my metabolism" to keep fit), but someone who voluntarily lights a cigarette and poisons everyone around him is free from complains? And who am I hurting that I should be discriminated? Because pretty sure that alcohol or chocolate DON'T cause other people to get fat, or wasted, unlike second hand smoking.

Caliostro:

snip

Keep in mind, I'm not saying it's ok to harass fat people because they're fat.

BLAH BLAH FAT PEOPLE ARE STUPID BLAH BLAH YOUR FAULT 10000000% BLAH BLAH YOU'RE ALL STUPID AND UGLY

But I do think it's wrong to harass them.

Let me know how a low-income family that only has caloric and unhealthy fastfood for kids to grab at school and already with many debts (dietitians need money) can afford to buy healthy food, and let kids go to the gym or buy a new bicycle. So easy to judge people when you haven't been in this situation.

Note - I'm obviously not talking about myself. I'm somewhat a victim of terrible steroids for allergy and asthma since I was 5. And allergy and asthma, which limited my ability to exercise outside as a kid.

I treat fat people in the same way I would consider chain smokers. They are a threat for public health, and they can be flat out disgusting, and simple steps can be take to become less fat. (Save the world, become a vegetarian and watch you fat drop down.) And if it becomes a serious problem it's more then okay to discrinate against obese people. Look I get genetics and all, but I won't buy it that you won't lose weight if you just avoid animal fat and all that progressed stuff they dare to call food in America. Same as I get addiction, but I won't buy it that nicotine stickers and perhaps some thearapy won't get you of smoking.
To all that find this offensive. We as the world are going to face food shortage in the next few decades, until genetically enhanched crops finally make their entrance. We simpely wouldn't be able to support fat people's live habbits, nor would it be ethical with a significant proportion of the world starving to dead.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked