What is the best fictional animal ever created?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

RULES!!! READ FIRST!

1. It has to be a full-on animal. No human traits (other than human personality traits that writers often place in animals). Basically no cat people or centaurs or whatever.

2. It can't have a voice. I don't care what it looks like, when it starts speaking it basically becomes a person in an animal's body.

3. It can't be an actual real world animal. I'm not talking about fictional animals that are actual real world species here, I mean animals that were thought up in the imagination. Hybrids of two or more animals still count, but no Scooby-doo! He's just a Great Dane (and he can talk).

Now that that's out of the way, here's my favorite (sorry to everyone I'm sure I'm gonna ninja with this):

Ah yes, the humble Chocobo. I don't know why, but you just can't hate these things. I don't know if they're fluffier, yellower ostriches or giant chickens, but every time these appear in a Final Fantasy game I instantly perk up, regardless of how I actually feel about the game itself. They also look really fun to ride, but somehow I doubt riding an Ostrich would be as fun. I'll ask Jim Carrey when and if I ever meet him.

most practical animal ever - fantastic transport and cosy sleeping bag

Dragons.
The thread can end right there. Fuckin' dragons, yo.

Chimera

Does the Sphinx count as an animal? If not I have to go with Jean: Chimera.

Griffons, of course. An eagle-lion. What's not to like? Well, unless you're a horse.

This guy-

It's a huge lava lizard that can drill underground and the ceiling with its beak and best of all it can shoot a lazer like beam from its mouth!!!

It's a Liger, bread for it's skills in magic .

cookie for the reference

x EvilErmine x:

cookie for the reference

Napoleon Dynamite.

Make it a chocolate chip one please.

EDIT: I'm gonna break the rules of the thread and say Bill the Pony. I DON'T CARE THAT PONIES ARE REAL FFS!

I'm so sorry Bill, you didn't deserve to be left in such a way.
No doubt the Watcher in the Water ate him after everyone else had left...

Here's a montage of his best moments:

Bill getting matey with his elf friend.

Bill with his best friend. *sniff*

Bill being a hero. (Yes, I know he's just walking but in my mind he just saved the entire Fellowship from all of Saurons minions)

Buh Bye Bill :'(

Dragons is a good shout.

Do Aliens (Giger ones) count?

Dragons, Chimeras, Unicorns, Griffins... y'know, the mythological sort of animal.

There's no doubt about this.

HUAN

from Silmarillion

The Dopefish. swim, swim, hungry

I know it beaking pretty much every rule but.... Hobbes, of Calvin and Hobbes fame

Cyntac Wong:
Dragons is a good shout.

Do Aliens (Giger ones) count?

I believe LV426 Xenomorphs are kosher so +1 to this.
I've always suspected they were macroscopic bioweapons but they're certainly animals, don't talk and nobody said they had to be naturally-evolved. They're nastier than dragons too: both can eat you but for when they don't would you rather get burned to ash or have a larval monster eat its way through your chest?

Half the animals in Australia may or may not actually exist, but will still kill you if you provoke them.

How about a Luck Dragon?

Uhh do weeping angels count?

If not Dragons, who doesn't love dragons.

x EvilErmine x:

cookie for the reference

Ligers exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liger

I'm going with Dragons.

I don't know if it counts because it can say one word but it doesn't really speak, so I'm counting it. They're ever so cute, can be fiercely loyal, and in a jam, can get your gaming back up and running if you have a power outage!

Anything from The Last airbender.

Turtleducks:

Polar-bear dogs:

Parrotlizard:

and Foo Foo Cuddlypoops Aka Baby Saber-tooth moose lion:

hazabaza1:
Dragons.
The thread can end right there. Fuckin' dragons, yo.

Dragons aren't fictional, just extinct.(although they are totally kick ass)Keeping that in mind I guess I'll have to go with griffins.

Jack the Potato:

Ah yes, the humble Chocobo. I don't know why, but you just can't hate these things. I don't know if they're fluffier, yellower ostriches or giant chickens, but every time these appear in a Final Fantasy game I instantly perk up, regardless of how I actually feel about the game itself. They also look really fun to ride, but somehow I doubt riding an Ostrich would be as fun. I'll ask Jim Carrey when and if I ever meet him.

I like the originals... the Horseclaws:

But as far as fictional animals go, I prefer the little Fox Squirrel also featured in that picture. :)

Rumpsteak:
Uhh do weeping angels count?

If not Dragons, who doesn't love dragons.

Weeping angels have human traits and can talk (sometimes). Likewise dragons.

Wyverns are pretty cool. I like the Dragon-snake hybrid style.

BENZOOKA:
There's no doubt about this.

HUAN

from Silmarillion

Huan is a pretty good one. However it's impossible to ignore the fact that he was killed by a far bigger, fiercer, and by definition more powerful creature, Carcharoth.

Perhaps my favorite Tolkein monster would have to be Ungoliant. The most powerful mortal in all of Tolkein's mythology.

It emerged from the void out of nothingness itself and devoured the light from the Two Trees of Valinor, essentially sucking all light from Arda. She then became even more powerful than Melkor, the dark lord himself, and ensnared him in her web. It took the combined strength of all the balrogs in Angband to finally defeat her.
How did she die? Nobody knows for certain but it's believed that she literally ate herself.

Um DeepBlue is pretty cool, not sure if it's too humanoid but it doesn't talk.

Well, it kinda violates rule #1 due to the big, beefy arm sticking out of the back of his neck, but... TROGDOR THE BURNINATOR!!!!!!!
He also has a song!

KefkaCultist:
Well, it kinda violates rule #1 due to the big, beefy arm sticking out of the back of his neck, but... TROGDOR THE BURNINATOR!!!!!!!
He also has a song!

That's looking pretty good... comin' outta the back of his neck there... You could add smoke or fire, maybe some wings if he's a... y'know wingaling dragon.

the golden goose from lost kingdoms, it is one of the hardest cards in the game to get and what does it do? oh it kills itself

and i find it the funniest thing in existence

or what about pikachu?

Cockatrice's are for the win, it's sort of half-chicken, half-dragon:

Appa from Avatar. Wait, maybe Momo is the greatest.

theparsonski:

No doubt the Watcher in the Water ate him after everyone else had left...

Actually, I'm pretty sure Bill found his way back to Bree in the book. Sam lead a long happy life with the love of his life. Also, he married and had kids.

All these posts and no love for unicorns. I fix that now.

My avatar of course. You'd just see them in the garden and be like, "oh, there's one"

Dragons, the only way they could not be the winner is because they're even more awesome when they can talk. If that's the case then the hydra.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked