The Big Bang Theory?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

It's an alright mildly-funny sitcom, that has its moments. It's got a way different scenario, or a theme, than the rest of them so that's refreshing at least. That's about it.

As it happens, I've watched every episode of it, but don't keep them. Besides the newest to know where I'm going.

If I want to watch something that is easy to follow and can offer a few smiles and a laugh or two, that's what I pick.

Sean951:
Yes, Friends was cool, but it's HIMYM set in the 90s with references I don't always get because I was still a child at the time.

I don't understand your point. Yeah, How I Met Your Mother is similar to Friends, but it came after it and is by no means better. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent sitcom (although some gags fall flat) with some interesting storylines and Barney's just great. But if there were references you didn't always get because you were a child at the time, you could just, I dunno, watch it again, now that you're an adult?

TheNaut131:
I still think Malcom in the Middle was the best sitcom in America...that's not saying much, is it?

Oh yeah, I forgot about Malcolm in the Middle. Brilliant sitcom. Scrubs is my favourite sitcom: funniest bunch of characters I've seen in a sitcom, unique setting, thoughtful plot.

And I don't really get people's hatred for laugh tracks, as long as they're used well and aren't overused like in The Big Bang Theory. With some sitcoms, it'd just feel weird without them. Take Friends or My Family as examples.

Another good sitcom: The Office. No, the original UK version. Oh, and The Inbetweeners. Fucking hilarious and, unlike many other sitcoms, it knew where to stop, with three series and a fittingly conclusive film.

Sometimes that can be the problem with many sitcoms: longevity. People can get tired of the characters, the jokes can get stale, and the creators don't realize that it has a sell-by date and keep trying to milk the dead cow for all it's worth. That's why Friends started going downhill in its last couple of series (along with how they dragged out Ross X Rachel), that's why Scrubs' final series (which I officially ignore) couldn't even be saved by the brilliance of Dr. Cox. Basically, they should know their limits.

TheNaut131:
I still think Malcom in the Middle was the best sitcom in America...that's not saying much, is it?

Oh yeah, I forgot about Malcolm in the Middle. Brilliant sitcom. Scrubs is my favourite sitcom: funniest bunch of characters I've seen in a sitcom, unique setting, thoughtful plot.

And I don't really get people's hatred for laugh tracks, as long as they're used well and aren't overused like in The Big Bang Theory. With some sitcoms, it'd just feel weird without them. Take Friends or My Family as examples.

Another good sitcom: The Office. No, the original UK version. Oh, and The Inbetweeners. Fucking hilarious and, unlike many other sitcoms, it knew where to stop, with three series and a fittingly conclusive film.

Sometimes that can be the problem with many sitcoms: longevity. People can get tired of the characters, the jokes can get stale, and the creators don't realize that it has a sell-by date and keep trying to milk the dead cow for all it's worth. That's why Friends started going downhill in its last couple of series (along with how they dragged out Ross X Rachel), that's why Scrubs' final series (which I officially ignore) couldn't e

I had no idea it was so hated... personally I've really enjoyed it since series 1 and I show no signs of going off it any time soon.

I've never found it "offensive" to nerds as some people seem to see it :/ Sure there are some cringy jokes, but to be honest I've usually been able to see the truth behind it (I'm British, we're into self-deprecatory humour) or recognise that they're exaggerating a stereotype.

Whatever, I think it's hilarious.

I was just wondering what the consensus here is on British humour vs. American humour.

Because people are idiots and want to feel theyre watching a "smart" comedy.

Kavok:
I personally don't see the magic that everyone else seems to be getting. All I saw in the few episodes I watched was an extreme exaggeration of nerd/geek culture centered around characters representing the most stereotypical nerd/geek roles I have ever seen. What about you guys?

I share your opinion on the show. As far as "geek comedy" is concerned, it appears impossible for other shows to at least get close to The IT crowd (UK), or, to a lesser extent, Coupling (also UK, the US version sucks).

I like the show. It's had it's ups and downs, and I think there was a period a season or two ago where it was pretty rough, but I enjoy it. Yeah, I've gone "that's wrong" a few times and it's not the smartest thing ever, but I like it more than most other things on TV, but I really don't like sitcoms that much. Not everyone's cup of tea, I know, but I get a couple laughs out of it. I think some nerds, not all, but some, might feel like they're being made fun of, and that's why they don't like it, and I think that's silly, but I can understand that it's not appealing someone's sense of humor completely.

Also, I don't even notice the laugh tracks. How strange.

I think it's always been a popular show, although they do tend to spring up on people who aren't paying attention. I remember discovering Top Gear in 2009 and thinking "how the hell did I miss this?"

As far as comedy goes, it's definately above average for an American sitcom, with no shortage of funny moments (even if they seem to rerun the same 12 episodes every month). I do think it's hilarious that the only people I've seen who actively hate it are other nerds, presumably uncomfortable with the fact that it hits a little bit close to home. I even heard one geeky guy I know complain that the show is too 'unrealistic'. I'm not sure what he meant by that, but I presume it was "I'm secretly pissed off because all the geeks on this show get so much more sex than I do."

I like it. I do sometimes cringe because of how stereotypical it can be, and it is starting to get a bit stale now, but I do enjoy the show.

Some of us can look past the fact that they get the references wrong you know?

I watched the first 4 seasons and I loved them all. I have yet to see the 5th episodes but i am sure I will see it sooner or later. I personally do not see how people can get offended by this show, it has some nerd humor in it also with some romance and all in all a nice show. I will admit Penny can be a little annoying at times but she is also needed on the show to kind of appeal to those who do not get all the things that Sheldon is talking about.

Here's how I've always seen Big Bang Theory.

It is a stupid show about smart people. Which isn't good.

Then take a show like Community which is a smart show about stupid people.

The latter is always better.

Also, I don't mind shows with laugh tracks, some of my favorite shows of all time have had laugh tracks. The problem is when it becomes over-abused and removing it would actually remove about half of the episode.

My thing with BBT is that I refuse to clap and smile just because somebody references something I care about. If a character I can't stand makes a Firefly reference...it's still a character I can't stand.

The main characters are unlikable and most the jokes are just hey look we know about this show, I get more laughs browsing thinkgeek's tshirts.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

KingHodor:
snip

By the way - and this is COMPLETELY off topic - did you get your user name from Hodor from GOT/ASOIAF?

Yup, ASoIAF (i.e. the books). First used it ages ago when we were having 8-player Halo LAN matches on our Xboxes.
As a fellow speaker of the German language, you are probably aware of the humoristic value of the similarity between the name and the German word for "testicles".

Also, just for kicks, I liked to imagine Hodor always speaking his name with clean pronunciation and full of gravitas. Then a few weeks ago, I noticed that whoever was responsible for the abysmal German dub of GoT apparently had the same idea.

I may be biased since I actually enjoy the show, along with Scrubs, Malcolm in the Middle, Frasier and Seinfeld. Also I'm of the opinion that the vast majority of American (and British, for that matter) sitcoms are unbearable drivel. Make of that what you will.

I haven't read the entire thread but I've noticed two general trends; those who dislike the show will point out flaws that are common to nearly all sitcoms, call the show shit and say that anyone who likes it is an idiot, whereas those who like the show will say that it's not brilliant but highly enjoyable and that the flaws that have been pointed out are common to nearly all sitcoms.

The latter view seems much more reasonable to me.

Meh. Not totally awful, but not particularly good either. It depends on a laugh track for a lot of it's humor (a trend that must be destroyed with hammers) and there's never a whole lot of character development or big change-ups in the plot. Also, someone up there described it as "nerd black-face" which is actually pretty accurate.

Although I do have to give props to Jim Parsons. I saw an episode where he attempted to give someone a reassuring smile, and it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on TV. It's not his fault he has to work with cheap writing.

Speaking as a nerd, and a Theoretical Physics major, its hilarious. That was so me and my friends in high school.

That and Kaley Cuoco and Johnny Galecki are HOT.

It's a dumb comedy with one dimensional characters. It's absolute brain-rotting TV - and sometimes it is good to sit down and watch completely mindless crap that doesn't even trust you to know when to laugh.

Really though, Chuck Lorre makes particularly shit TV. Definitely prefer people like Bill Lawrence or David E Kelly who can make things humourous without a laugh track.

Kermi:
the laugh track is overused

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:
It depends on a laugh track for a lot of it's humor

It's not a laugh track, it's a live studio audience.

solemnwar:

Kermi:

That are told when to laugh.

I had no idea it had such a strong hatedom here. Now I'm almost scared to admit that I find it funny, much more so than anything on TV today, with the exception of MLP.

GeneralTwinkle:

solemnwar:

Kermi:

That are told when to laugh.

I own the DVDs, and seen the bloopers, they definitely appear laugh when they want (there's a scene in one season where Leonard says something nerdy, not really funny at all, and the scene ends up getting disturbed when someone laughs REALLY loud and he goes "really?").

Thaliur:

Kavok:
I personally don't see the magic that everyone else seems to be getting. All I saw in the few episodes I watched was an extreme exaggeration of nerd/geek culture centered around characters representing the most stereotypical nerd/geek roles I have ever seen. What about you guys?

I share your opinion on the show. As far as "geek comedy" is concerned, it appears impossible for other shows to at least get close to The IT crowd (UK), or, to a lesser extent, Coupling (also UK, the US version sucks).

The writers of the IT crowd don't anything about IT. Big Bang theory usually gets the physics and philosophy correct.

How is coupling a geek comedy?

Kaleion:
they keep getting the references wrong

They won my respect forever when they had the right sound effects for sheldon playing Mario 64 on his laptop.
Otherwise, it's just pandering and product placement

CODE-D:
Because people are idiots and want to feel theyre watching a "smart" comedy.

..wait

people actually think the comedy is somehow smart/clever purely because its subject matter is a group of (painfully steryotypical) nerds?

.....fuck

I will admit the show does go a few notches above "durr hurr nerds like star wars OMG" and had its moments...but it still has that painful "make fun of nerds" thing that I just can't stomach

I've always found Chuck Lorre shows to be incredibly misogynistic. Frankly, the only honest character is Sheldon, who's at least a dick in an honest way. Penny is portrayed as a mindless blonde who will happily change everything about herself to suit the needs of whatever man she's currently chasing. Leonard will lie and manipulate to get a woman into bed. The second Raj gets drunk, he turns into a giant douche. Howard acts like his fiance is a maid and still lives with his mother, who's portrayed as an overbearing monster pretty much.

Quite frankly it's embarrassing.

I do often shake my head at some of the stuff they do, but the show can be quite quotable. I also enjoy the commonality between myself and the characters on the show.

Example: Star Wars: Old Republic came out. My wife asked me what I want to play that "single player MMO, WoW rip off of a game" I said "But it has lightsabers!"

Then we watched Big Bang Theory and Sheldon said the same thing. My wife through her arms up in the air and just said "Really?".

I actually really enjoy it, the laughter doesn't both me because it's a TV show and they will use laugh tracks. I also have to say that although each character is a stereotype taken to an extreme facets of each remind me of me and my friends growing up and generally being nerdy.

Oh and for the people who say 'its all just dumb comedy' my brother, recently finished his Phd in Physics at Oxford will actually burst out laughing because theres a joke hidden in the math on the blackboard behind two characters.

Joke. Hidden. In. Math.

I think they might be smarter then you give them credit for.

Allot of my friends love this show, but I really don't get it. As previous people have said, it seems to be mocking nerd culture, no friendly poking of fun, little tongue in cheek humour, but straight up "look at the freaks!" mock-o-rama.

Want nerdy comedies that are actually good? Stick with the IT Crowd, or Red Dwarf.

BroJing:
I actually really enjoy it, the laughter doesn't both me because it's a TV show and they will use laugh tracks. I also have to say that although each character is a stereotype taken to an extreme facets of each remind me of me and my friends growing up and generally being nerdy.

Oh and for the people who say 'its all just dumb comedy' my brother, recently finished his Phd in Physics at Oxford will actually burst out laughing because theres a joke hidden in the math on the blackboard behind two characters.

Joke. Hidden. In. Math.

I think they might be smarter then you give them credit for.

They have a science advisor for the show. He used to blog about the physics referenced in every episode.

Unlike IT crowd. HERP DURP Vista sucks. IT guys think that right?

Catfood220:
I quite like the show, but then it is repeated over and over and over again on Channel 4 and E4...its on now in the background as I write this.

Now, I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is about 2 Broke Girls that is supposed to be so funny. That truely is a pathetic comedy and yet its supposed to America's biggest new comedy.

Dunno about funny, but its worth watching for Kat Dennings :P

I personally think it's harmless and getting all hyped and or 'well gawd why the hell does anyone like this' about it is pointless, I don't watch it much unless my family has guilt tripped me into 'spending time with them around the tube'.
But seriously, of all the utter tripe I see on TV these days this is one of the lesser offenders of 'pander to people'.

So...yeah... Leave it be I says.

Captcha: The full monty

o_0 ...No thankyou captcha I don't like you that way.

Kiardras:

Catfood220:
I quite like the show, but then it is repeated over and over and over again on Channel 4 and E4...its on now in the background as I write this.

Now, I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is about 2 Broke Girls that is supposed to be so funny. That truely is a pathetic comedy and yet its supposed to America's biggest new comedy.

Dunno about funny, but its worth watching for Kat Dennings :P

*Googles Kat Dennings*

Well yes, I suppose they are the best thing in the show.

Ha! I understand most of the jokes... they just aint funny. Really, Sheldon carries the whole show, although every gag of his ia the same.

also, penny aint too pretty IMO. just... average.

Strain42:
Here's how I've always seen Big Bang Theory.

It is a stupid show about smart people. Which isn't good.

Then take a show like Community which is a smart show about stupid people.

The latter is always better.

Yea, there is pretty much no reason to watch a show like Big Bang Theory when a show like Community exists.
Also, in Big Bang Theory, very few of the characters are actually likeable. Every character in Community has enough of a relatable human side which shines through, even when the character flaws are being played for laughs. Compare Sheldon with Abed. Ostensibly similar, but Abed actually has depth and complexity. Sheldon gets laughs by being a socially awkward clever person. Abed on the other hand perceives the world through a pop culture filter, where he relates everything to TV and movies. He is nerdy and socially awkward, but he actually just understands the world in a way that we come to understand over the course of the series. Also, Community has 7 different personalities, whereas Big Bang Theory just has 4 different flavours of nerd.

Basically I'm gushing a bit about Community after the last few episodes.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked