Coolest/badassiest military ranks?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

What the title says, which military rank do you think has the coolest name, or distinguishing marks, like the eagle of an American colonel and such?

For me it's a draw between two, privates in the Norwegian army's armored batallion are called Dragoons, which is a remainder from the days of cavalry on horseback. The other would be enlisted privates in the Norwegian army, who are called Grenadiers, same reason, stuck around since Ye Olden Times.

How about you?

I've always liked Commander and Master Bombardier, both have a good ring to them.

Guderian's one time rank Inspektor General der Panzertruppen is pretty badass sounding!

Master and Commander bitches. Yes it is an actual rank, usually shortened to Commander.

Um hello?
Major general?

I dunno, something about Major just sounds right to me.

Daystar Clarion:

Why is she standing outside a Games workshop? Product placement?

OT: I've always liked the sound of Captain personally, simple and effective.

I've always thought Staff Sergeant sounded pretty badass. Maybe that's because I learned of an actual soldier whose name was Staff Sergeant Max Fightmaster, but still.

Field Marshall sounds awesome as well, but I don't know if that rank is used anymore.

Inquisitor obviously, best part is noone ever expects you.
But I guess God Emperor isn't bad either, unless death is a job requirement.

I like Lieutenant Colonel (especially if you pronounce it the British way). It's like two ranks in one!

And obviously Commander is pretty cool too.

Captain.

It also has the advantage of simultaneously meaning a bunch of different things.

Master Chief???

does that count?

I'll just stick with Grand Admiral.

ForgottenPr0digy:
Master Chief???

does that count?

Lol, that is an actual NCO rank.

Melon Hunter:
I've always thought Staff Sergeant sounded pretty badass. Maybe that's because I learned of an actual soldier whose name was Staff Sergeant Max Killmaster, but still.

Field Marshall sounds awesome as well, but I don't know if that rank is used anymore.

It is in some countries, but I think it's kind of a special edition deal, so it's pretty rare for anyone to be promoted to it, since it's basically a four-star general, special edition.

Also Centurion, which I forgot in my first post. And yes, I do have a thing for old-timey stuff.

Dragoons is probably my second favourite, but commander has to win this contest.

'Yes sir Master Chief sir' comes in third place.

Brigadier always sounded awesome to me, just seems to have an aura of authority and power around it. Also Brigadier-General.

Always thought Air Commodore sounded shit and good at the same time...

ForgottenPr0digy:
Master Chief???

does that count?

Yes it does, and this. It's always sounded so gloriously over the top to me, a bit like how some men's grooming products are advertised by adding random 'power' words to them ('New Gilette STRENGTH FORCE: MAX, for MEN!') Almost like someone said, "Hey, Master and Chief are both titles that imply strength in leadership, so let's slam'em both together to make all new MASTER CHIEF: DELUX, for MEN!"

Chemical Alia:
I'll just stick with Grand Admiral.

Oh god yes. Thrawn and that uniform.

Mr.K.:
Inquisitor obviously, best part is noone ever expects you.
But I guess God Emperor isn't bad either, unless death is a job requirement.

Problem being, it's not a military rank, it's an ecclesiastic rank... not that it matters considering everyone would shit themselves once one points at you and shouts 'you fight for me now' (or words to that effect).

Saregon:
For me it's a draw between two, privates in the Norwegian army's armored batallion are called Dragoons, which is a remainder from the days of cavalry on horseback.

Only just occurred to me, but I think that's not quite right (though not being Norwegian, I may well be wrong, myself), but 'Dragoons' is the battalion's designation (with some appropriate pre-cursor), while privates are labelled as 'Trooper' (at least the C18th ones and onwards were called as such... or equivalent). As the 'dragoon' was a troop type and not a rank, denoting an evolution from the pistolier i.e. mounted infantry who did the bulk of outflank/feinting in post-baroque era battles. I think the term 'dragoon' rather lost its meaning and became just another type of heavy cavalry by the late 1700's. Ah well...

Saregon:
Also Centurion, which I forgot in my first post. And yes, I do have a thing for old-timey stuff.

Yah... though it's very difficult to find mid-ranking officer titles that don't sound all that douchey, because Tribune isn't that imposing. However, I'll go with the Polybian highest ranking career soldier: Primus Prior... a certain elegance to it.

For a while, I was also into antiquities Greek ranks, but stuff like lochagos, polemarchos etc. just don't have that good a ring to them...

BlazeRaider:
Brigadier always sounded awesome to me, just seems to have an aura of authority and power around it. Also Brigadier-General.

I'm hesitant to ask if you're French-Canadian or not, but what about Général de Brigade... even though all three basically are the same thing, but never mind... -_-

OT: Thought of another one... Adolf Galland's one-time rank: General der Jagdflieger. Awesome for both the sound and the literal translation.

korporaal der stoottroepen. or luitenant in de 11 mobiele luchbrigade. i think those are some pretty awesome sounding ranks within my military. or maby huzzaar or feldjager

I personally have always been a fan of Lord Commander, something about it just rings cool.

Also zee captain is pretty badass.

Captain, they lead the way.

Supreme Commander of all allied forces?

Supreme commander of all allied powers apparently according to wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Commander_for_the_Allied_Powers

I've always liked Air Marshal, makes me think of flying cowboys fighting outlaws in the sky.

SckizoBoy:

Saregon:
For me it's a draw between two, privates in the Norwegian army's armored batallion are called Dragoons, which is a remainder from the days of cavalry on horseback.

Only just occurred to me, but I think that's not quite right (though not being Norwegian, I may well be wrong, myself), but 'Dragoons' is the battalion's designation (with some appropriate pre-cursor), while privates are labelled as 'Trooper' (at least the C18th ones and onwards were called as such... or equivalent). As the 'dragoon' was a troop type and not a rank, denoting an evolution from the pistolier i.e. mounted infantry who did the bulk of outflank/feinting in post-baroque era battles. I think the term 'dragoon' rather lost its meaning and became just another type of heavy cavalry by the late 1700's. Ah well...

Haven't really researched the history of it, but you are partially correct. The whole dragoons being a troop type is correct, but a private in the cavalry ('Panserbataljonen', lit. Armored Batallion) today is supposed to be addressed as a dragoon, or 'dragon' in Norwegian (Yay for the easiest translation ever!) It's merely a quirk they have, like captains in the same batallion are called 'Rittmester' lit. 'Riding Master' or something similar, not sure if a corresponding name exist in English military jargon.

Can't go wrong with Gunnery Sergeant, maybe Master Gunnery Sergeant for an extra level.

Colonel. Because Colonel Jack O'Neill bitches.

Saregon:
Haven't really researched the history of it, but you are partially correct. The whole dragoons being a troop type is correct, but a private in the cavalry ('Panserbataljonen', lit. Armored Batallion) today is supposed to be addressed as a dragoon, or 'dragon' in Norwegian (Yay for the easiest translation ever!) It's merely a quirk they have, like captains in the same batallion are called 'Rittmester' lit. 'Riding Master' or something similar, not sure if a corresponding name exist in English military jargon.

Aaaahhh, iiiiiiiiinteresting... and thank you! Oddly enough, the word 'dragoon' comes from 'dragon' because of the ensemble: a short snubby stick that belches fire in the hands of a fast moving soldier, go figure...(!)

As for that captain's rank, that would translate as 'knight-captain' or 'knight-lieutenant' (or 'Knight-Master' if taken literally), I guess, going from German (Ritter = Knight). We don't have 'em here, but it'd be cool if we did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Cell

The most badass of all the badasses.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18857_the-6-greatest-war-heroes-who-got-screwed-out-history.html
"Marcinko became so elite in the Navy SEALs that they started having to invent new, more elite teams just to find somewhere to put him. Eventually, he wound up commanding something called Red Cell -- his job was to fly around the world, attacking and infiltrating the U.S. military's own bases, in order to test their security and show how the military would cope if the enemy had somebody like Marcinko on its side.
How he got screwed:
Ironically, Red Cell was so good at what it was being paid to do that it embarrassed the shit out of a military that, as it turns out, couldn't cope at all against it. And Marcinko took his job dead seriously, kidnapping high-ranking personnel and even their families, "mildly torturing" them to get nuclear codes and wound up kidnapping one admiral twice."

NinjaDeathSlap:

ForgottenPr0digy:
Master Chief???

does that count?

Yes it does, and this. It's always sounded so gloriously over the top to me, a bit like how some men's grooming products are advertised by adding random 'power' words to them ('New Gilette STRENGTH FORCE: MAX, for MEN!') Almost like someone said, "Hey, Master and Chief are both titles that imply strength in leadership, so let's slam'em both together to make all new MASTER CHIEF: DELUX, for MEN!"

I think you guys are referring to Master Chief Petty Officer, which unfortunately doesn't sound as amazing as Master Chief.

OT: Inquisitor and Chaplain are pretty cool even though they aren't real.

Generalissimo

General of the Armies of the United States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_of_the_Armies

Chief Warrant Officer

Field Marshal

BlackEagle95:
Generalissimo

I always found that hilarious, because even though it's a real rank, it's often played for comedy in Norwegian cartoon dubs. You would have the really bombastic general character strutting around with his hat and sword and a barn door full of medals on his chest. After that I can never take it seriously.

Daystar Clarion:

Captain.

Sparrow, Harkness, Crunch, Morgan, Kirk, Picard.

Two of those are called Jack!

I want to join the Royal Marines, but unfortunately Captain Jack Binns doesn't have the same ring to it...

I always liked Commandant although I think Commandant was retired but it's still cool!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked