What do you think the next monster craze will be? (after vampires and zombies)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Zombies and Vampires have been done to death, no pun intended. What's next?

Personally, I think robots are the way we'll imagine future monsters. Our society is becoming increasingly more technologically focused, and as monsters project relevant social anxieties, it makes sense that we'd worry about a loss of humanity in this way.

I dunno, what do you guys think?

There is a Facebook poll going, currently Raptor Jesus is in the lead

I hope its not werebeasts. I don't want them being ruined for me :(

Eldritch Abominations. Its already starting to take over Video Games, as your average Zombie Shoot-em-up is being replaced with your Demonic Monstrosity Puzzle Platformer.

I don't "think". I know.

Space dingoes.

Better watch out for them.

They'll eat your space baby.

Daystar Clarion:
Space dingoes.

They'll eat your space baby.

You know nothing of Space Dingoes, everyone knows they don't eat Space Babies because they're far too salty for them. They eat Space Hotdogs.

As for what will take over, it would be funny if it was Black Lagoon beast thingies. Robots would be neat but it's been done a lot already, the whole "OH NOES, IT DUN GOT SELF AWARE!" shit has been done already.

Would be neat to see something that's actually huge and menacing, like Big Daddies / Nautilus because it's awesome. Something to do with the water anyways.

How about Mermaids, but not friendly ones like the Little Mermaid, malicious creatures that try to drown sailors. I also approve of Qitz's suggestion of something like a Big Daddy.

I was hoping for the Great Old Ones, but since things look grim for the "Mountains of Madness"-movie...
Maybe it is better this way. Imagine a Twilight-approach.
Glittering Great Cthulhu in love with innocent schoolgirl.

The horror!

Oh, wait, tentacles... maybe this isn't such a bad idea after all...

Oh we all know this one, next up it's Naughty Bears! Badassiest of the badasses.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq6F1XS5708

Dr. Mongo:
I was hoping for the Great Old Ones, but since things look grim for the "Mountains of Madness"-movie...
Maybe it is better this way. Imagine a Twilight-approach.
Glittering Great Cthulhu in love with innocent schoolgirl.

The horror!

Oh, wait, tentacles... maybe this isn't such a bad idea after all...

Oh yes, if the Cthulhu mythos replaced zombies i'd be so damn happy.

I reckon it's gonna be things like Cthulhu that start to get a lot more attention as we get sick of the humanoid figures.

I can kind of tell werewolves. I mean they've seemed to prove popular in twilight and I bet people will pay to see more.

Aww...why do good thing get changed to bad. :(

one word:
memes - I Can Explain That!
aliens

Pfft...you know it'll be all about the hydras.

Multi-headed serpents for the win!!!

Aliens,

These kind of course:

Fappy:
I hope its not werebeasts. I don't want them being ruined for me :(

They already have been

Postmen. Were due for a wave of postmen slasher films. They're relevant!...Somewhat.

Probably something along the lines of either werewolves, aliens or robots... hopefully, they would be screwed up by it...

It will be man, for he is the greatest monster of all.

Haven't you heard? The next teen craze is people who are secretly burritos. I thought everyone knew that.

Dragons. Or is that already in fashion?

Oh, and this:

Jonluw:
I don't "think". I know.

Darn ninja I was going to post that. Either way I agree with that, the mummy is going to be the nest sparkling whimpy vampires and werewolfs combined!!

Giant monsters need to make a come back! They have been oppressed for far to long. Preferably the kind that are giant reptiles.

Come on Godzilla 2012, don't let us down man...

Gods would be pretty good. Just humans that become really powerful & can effectively rewrite the laws of the universe/perform ridiculous feats, and use this power for good/evil. Basically every superhero movie ever, and they've been making a comeback recently.

Sharks or killer fish.

Creatures that can't be escaped ..... except by not going in the water.

http://www.facebook.com/EscapistMag

Looks like the Facebook people think it's going to be "Raptor Jesus"

I reckon fairies, tehy are already taking off.

Of course, you ahve to call them Sidhe or Seelie or something to make them sound better, but you don't need to do any more research than that.

We need a resurgence in waves of giant killer bunnies. The number of killer rabbit media will multiply like... rabbits. Expect the Holy Hand grenade scene to be done to death.

If not, I hope we get more penanggalan. Basically, female bloodsuckers that detact their head and spine from their body to seek out (If I remember rightly) Virgin blood and foetuses from pregnant women. Just think how romantic they can make that.
In fact, why not Pontianak's(Basically female vampires) or more malay ghosts in general.

Actually though, I hope Youkai get the spotlight soon. And we wouldn't have to worry about wimpifying and romanticising them because Touhou did that years ago(Though they are no less threatening, just utterly adorable).

Dragons.

Game of Thrones, Skyrim, How to Train Your Dragon, The Hobbit, Avatar... If Eragorn hasn't killed them off I could see them becoming a thing, especially since there are some old stories about dragons mating with humans. All it would take would be someone deciding that the dragons could take human form and were all sparkly and awesome then bam, next craze.

Aside from that, taking the view that it is the fears of the day which inform our monsters, then robots and technology.

Robots came before zombies and vampires. Terminator, The Matrix, the Star Wars prequels, that terrible movie about a fighter plane with an AI that went rogue, the list goes on.

As way to break from obsessing with the lifeless and undead, I think our culture will obsess over something that is very much alive, but is also distinctly different from humans. After all, that was the appeal of zombies, robots, and vampires; they're a lot like us, but have a few extreme differences.

This makes me think we'll see a rebirth of the Planet of the Apes franchise or something very similar. Yes, there was that recent movie, but I'm not talking about within the next year. This trend change will probably only become noticeable after another decade or two. In fact, I think obsession with sentient/sapient animals would be highly appealing after our culture gets completely tired of the undead.

I mean, wouldn't a historical fiction movie in which the elephants mutiny against Hannibal and then try to conquer Rome themselves be awesome?

I'm going to go with ghosts being the next big monster craze. Either that or Mummies.

Reginald:
It will be man, for he is the greatest monster of all.

I second this opinion.

Or it could be one of the skinless horrors brought to life by magical energy, they're like zombies only about 700x more dangerous, because rather than just turning people into zombies, they eat the flesh of the living then turn what's left over into more beasts... Which move fast, and take a butt-tonne of punishment.

DINOSAURS!!! RAAAWR.

Probably fairy tale monsters since there's already 2 TV shows about them and a 3rd in fall.

Crazy Zaul:
Probably fairy tale monsters since there's already 2 TV shows about them and a 3rd in fall.

Attack of the evil 50ft stepmother. (shudder)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked