Women's breasts

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Hiya escapists.

Ah, the female chest area. La poitrine. These globular sacks of fatty tissue. Or, somewhat crudely, "tits". Recognized as a masterpiece of form and function by men and women alike. A perfect amalgation of shapeliness, consistency and practicality.
Studies[1] show that people with access to breasts are consistently happier than those who must live without them. Truly a sight to behold and a constant source of joy for many a person, such creations are by most recognized as the magnificent wonders of the natural world that they are.
And yet, by virtue of the mighty PG-13, trying to include illustrations in this thread would see me swiftly stricken down by the banhammer.

Sorry

I've been thinking a bit about breasts, as I am wont to do. Specifically, I've been thinking about our relationship to breasts when it comes to social norms.

Most people would not be uncomfortable with an infant seeing a breast. Hell, they spend most of the day latched on to them with their mouths. People generally regard it as unproblematic for children up to around three or four years of age to be exposed to breasts.
However, at around this age, a strange new social norm steps into place. From this point forward, all interaction with breasts other than the child's own is forbidden.

Breasts may now no longer enter the child's field of vision lest they be wrapped in a sufficiently concealing fabric.
Why is it that we must shield our young from the sight of something that is universally agreed on to be things of beauty? What are we afraid will happen?

?

This norm is popularly attributed to the formation of the child's sexuality, and as such, exceptions are known to have been made when the context was explicitly non-sexual. The problem seems to be that the design of the breast is too grand. Simply too perfect. To the point where the mere sight of such wondrous pieces of flesh is enough to arouse feelings of... well, arousal. In those that are attracted to women that is. And consequently, indecency in those who aren't.

So from this point forward, the child is no longer allowed to bask in the sweetness of the female mammary area.
Sure, the norm may allow a look once in a while for educational purposes or for "art", but these rare viewings happen exclusively on the terms that one is absolutely not allowed to enjoy looking.
And touching, so as to take in the full beauty of breasts other than one's own, is completely forbidden.
Films which at some point display an areola are carefully kept out of reach of these children, lest they should anger the deity "PG-13"-

Up until a certain point, that is. The age at which breasts are normally allowed to be reintroduced to a person's life lies at around 16-18 years in most western cultures. At this point, one may once again experience the grandeur with which one was so closely acquainted in one's past.
And truly the feeling is glorious.

But why does this all happen? It would all have been quite understandable if the sexuality which enters children's lives, prompting them to be cut off from breasts, disappears with age. But that does not seem to be the case. Indeed, late teenagers seem to be more sexual than most other people on the planet!

So why, then, are such massive efforts being exerted to keep children protected from taking part in the wonders of breasts?
What is the secret of these 12 to 15 years of one's life that leads us to keep them artificially devoid of bosoms, melons, milk factories, busts, funbags, knockers, balisties, boobies, jugs, nipples, jublies and

Stonking great tits?!

Captcha: life's too short

[1] Disclaimer: Data not derived from actual studies.

Urmmm.... you make some truly strange threads.

GethBall:

Yeah, this is just odd.

I get he likes boobs, good for him.

I've always wondered how the milk is stored in breasts. Is it just in a little sack, or is it saturating all the breast tissue, so the tissue is very very milky and it gets drawn to the nipple when sucked. If you stuck a pin in a breast would it leak milk?

Good grief, I am truly a virgin.

I think it's because of the whole duality of those glorious mammary glands, they serve as both feeding apparatus and sexualised objects. After a certain age an infant will begin to get attracted to breasts, so it becomes taboo in most societies.

There are loads of cultures where nudity is more socially acceptable, and they're probably nicer to live in. At the end of the day they're just breasts, and the same argument goes for males. It's not like they can hurt anyone.

Esotera:
I think it's because of the whole duality of those glorious mammary glands, they serve as both feeding apparatus and sexualised objects. After a certain age an infant will begin to get attracted to breasts, so it becomes taboo in most societies.

Yes, but why?
How does it harm a child, or a young teenager, to be exposed to sexuality, is what I'm asking in the OP.

There are loads of cultures where nudity is more socially acceptable, and they're probably nicer to live in. At the end of the day they're just breasts, and the same argument goes for males. It's not like they can hurt anyone.

Hah! How na´ve!

Jonluw:
Yes, but why?
How does it harm a child, or a young teenager, to be exposed to sexuality, is what I'm asking in the OP.

I don't think it does. Obviously some people do, and if I had to guess then I'd say it's probably for obscure historical religious reasons to do with the medieval Catholic church. But that's a total wildcard and has nothing to back it up.

Esotera:

Jonluw:
Yes, but why?

I don't think it does. Obviously some people do, and if I had to guess then I'd say it's probably for obscure historical religious reasons to do with the medieval Catholic church. But that's a total wildcard and has nothing to back it up.

Curse you, dark ages!

Jonluw:
people with access to breasts are consistently happier than those who must live without them. Truly a sight to behold and a constant source of joy for many a person, such creations are by ]

does that include the "owners" of said breats too?

anyway I think I read somwhere that at least in eurpose the best didnt become "taboo" to be seen untill around or somtime after the 15th century

its kind of silly that a nipple can mean the different between an M and R rating,

do you think you would find breats as alluring is you saw them all the time?

Jonluw:

Sorry

HA! Lousy effort. Your attempt to keep me away from tits has failed - I have downloaded that image and ran a Fourier analysis, then a Turing test to determine the encryption algorithms. I have since managed to crack them and I just finished the molecular reconstruction of the original image and it would be ready in 3..2..1..

...you bastard. You censored the original as well. Now I have to sacrifice another goat to repeat the process again.

DoPo:

Damn that's hot! Someone please PM me the uncensored version, I NEED it. God damn. Great tits.

Vault101:

Jonluw:
people with access to breasts are consistently happier than those who must live without them. Truly a sight to behold and a constant source of joy for many a person, such creations are by ]

does that include the "owners" of said breats too?

Naturally.

do you think you would find breats as alluring is you saw them all the time?

That's the problem, isn't it?
The liberation of body parts is a double edged sword.
Being taboo is what makes a body part special, and once it's "freed", it will become just another part of the body.
I'd still of course recognize it as a shapely and well-formed thing like the rest of a woman's body, but like anyone who's spent some time in a nudist camp can tell you: it would cease to be special.

It's not so much that I'm advocating that women should walk around topless all the time though.
What I'm wondering is why we treat breasts so differently in regards to children.

Maybe because children have to learn boundaries and learn about what is acceptable in society and what isn't.

Having your young child go up to the teacher and point to her breasts saying "milk" is going to result in a phonecall from the school (and a trip to the psychiatrist if the teacher is male).

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

DoPo:

Damn that's hot! Someone please PM me the uncensored version, I NEED it. God damn. Great tits.

Nonsense. Those are blue tits.
These are great tits:

Couldn't find the censored version. Please don't ban me, mods.

Ok, there is an actual serious question in the OP, but buried under lots of silly blather.

I agree, it is very stupid. Some people seem to be uncomfortable with breastfeeding, though, which at least is consistent.

You guys seem nice so here's some hot uncensored booby

OT:I'd go with the religion thing, maybe a long time ago it was to protect those organs but now it's definitely a taboo thing

Uh maybe to teach your children some social boundaries. Ya know.
And whether breasts are in fact a thing of beauty is open to opinion.

Read about 1/4 of this.

Hah, best thread this week.

And yes, breasts are great!

There should be a section of the site devoted to Jonluw's questions, it happens so regularly it's basically a feature like extra punctuation at this point.

Jonluw:
... People generally regard it as unproblematic for children up to around three or four years of age to be exposed to breasts...

Wait, what? Does this mean you were breastfed up to 3 to 4 years of age?

Jonluw:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

DoPo:

Nonsense. Those are blue tits.
These are great tits:

Couldn't find the censored version. Please don't ban me, mods.

Some people like blue tits...*AHEM*

And as for the actual question: yes, it's silly. Overall, prudishness seems to be decreasing, in Europe at least. Hell, I've even seen dicks on posters in the street. I'd rather have more public tits, but I guess the womenfolk have a right to see the occasional wang out in the open as well.

Bertylicious:

Jonluw:
... People generally regard it as unproblematic for children up to around three or four years of age to be exposed to breasts...

No, I'm pretty sure I wasn't.
Even though it isn't common to breastfeed that late, I don't get the impression that people are worried about 4 year olds seeing boobs. It's not like you cover the eyes of your 4 year old if some boobs suddenly appear on the tv.

Fat_Hippo:
Hell, I've even seen dicks on posters in the street. I'd rather have more public tits, but I guess the womenfolk have a right to see the occasional wang out in the open as well.

I've always been of the impression that women (and gay guys for that matter) don't really find dongs particularly appealing. Visually, that is.
Women would probably be happier with some toned shirtless guy on the poster.
So I'm guessing no one gets enjoyment, aside from the occasional laugh, from the dick posters. Everybody loses.

You fools! You all underestimate... THE MAN BOOB.

Jonluw:

Bertylicious:

Jonluw:

No, I'm pretty sure I wasn't.
Even though it isn't common to breastfeed that late, I don't get the impression that people are worried about 4 year olds seeing boobs. It's not like you cover the eyes of your 4 year old if some boobs suddenly appear on the tv.

Fat_Hippo:
Hell, I've even seen dicks on posters in the street. I'd rather have more public tits, but I guess the womenfolk have a right to see the occasional wang out in the open as well.

I've always been of the impression that women (and gay guys for that matter) don't really find dongs particularly appealing. Visually, that is.
Women would probably be happier with some toned shirtless guy on the poster.
So I'm guessing no one gets enjoyment, aside from the occasional laugh, from the dick posters. Everybody loses.

So really, what we need is posters of toned shirtless guys...with tits! Everybody wins!

Jonluw:

I think that's probably a false impression. Pretty much half of the erotic male/male fanfic written by women features comically long dicks. Gay men at least tend to keep things closer to a foot long. I prefer my dicks attached to guys though, a disembodied dick might as well be a super realistic dildo.

I think breast feeding should be a non issue for infants, and I don't particularly see why breasts should be censored at all. I'm all for topfreedom, as it were.

Hero in a half shell:
I've always wondered how the milk is stored in breasts. Is it just in a little sack, or is it saturating all the breast tissue, so the tissue is very very milky and it gets drawn to the nipple when sucked. If you stuck a pin in a breast would it leak milk?

Good grief, I am truly a virgin.

Sort of in between. There are bunch of small milk glands in the breast. If you stuck a pin in a breast, you'd mostly just get a good smack to the face (and probably assault charges).

Dags90:

Jonluw:

I think that's probably a false impression. Pretty much half of the erotic male/male fanfic written by women features comically long dicks. Gay men at least tend to keep things closer to a foot long. I prefer my dicks attached to guys though, a disembodied dick might as well be a super realistic dildo.

Straight women may like the thought of dicks in general, but I don't think that's an indication that they find them visually appealing.

i.e. A picture of a dick (or a vagina for that matter) is hardly sexy.

DoPo:

Jonluw:

Sorry

HA! Lousy effort. Your attempt to keep me away from tits has failed - I have downloaded that image and ran a Fourier analysis, then a Turing test to determine the encryption algorithms. I have since managed to crack them and I just finished the molecular reconstruction of the original image and it would be ready in 3..2..1..

...you bastard. You censored the original as well. Now I have to sacrifice another goat to repeat the process again.

You could've also gone for some boobies. ;)

Blue-footed booby and the bluetit, what's with mammary glands and blueness?

They added a boob slider to The Sims 3 after the massive 25-30 years old female userbase pointed out that it was slightly ridiculous. I mean I'm not corrupting my nephews mind just from being in the same room as him with a top on but he can still see my curves! 18 rating!!!.

With regards to the censorship of man bits I think the funniest thing I have seen was the recent 'dildo' Diablo 3 story in Kotaku. The facebook comments were full of 'I don't want dildo's on my news feed!' from men. Whereas the hundreds of stories about half naked anime chicks is perfectly fine.

It's crazy how protective or disturbed men are about their own sexual organ whereas women are expected to put up with pictures of boobs being plastered everywhere, especially in gaming. I think it's pretty funny personally.

GethBall:

Sir, this is a very important discussion in which I eagerly await results!

Well, Hmmm...

Although your thread is amusing, at least I found it so, the reason is rather simple. They are seen as sexual organs and we are not really cool with kids being around sexual organs. So... yeah.

But I am uncertain if actually discussing the reasoning is what is wanted. Heh. Little kids are "Innocent" so we need to keep them away from things to do with sex.

Although can you truly say a 5-12 year old would really be able to appreciate boobs? what with the whole "Not hitting puberty" and whatnot.

Same reasons we dont exactly like little kids being around a lot of cock.

Jonluw:
[I've always been of the impression that women (and gay guys for that matter) don't really find dongs particularly appealing. Visually, that is.

Depends. Some people do, some people don't. Some straight guys don't really find vaginas particularly appealing for that matter.

I did recently find a tumblr focused on the "beauty" of the male genitalia, though.

Anyway, everywhere but Japan and parts of Europe are just complete prudes about, well, the naked body in general.

RazadaMk2:
Although can you truly say a 5-12 year old would really be able to appreciate boobs? what with the whole "Not hitting puberty" and whatnot.

Same reasons we dont exactly like little kids being around a lot of cock.

Hey, I never said I don't want little kids around cock.
I ended up on some sort of watchlist right now, didn't I?

I don't get the whole "preserving their innocence" argument though. First of all, I don't see how being exposed to sexuality as a concept ruins their innocence. Second, if we didn't make a big deal out of them, boobs wouldn't be anything special that for some reason has the capacity to ruin innocence.

You know, usually when someone starts a socially awkward thread, they try to hide it's nature with a subtle title. Outrightly naming your thread "Women's Breasts" has to be the most courageous thing I've ever seen. Kudos to you.

Relish in Chaos:
Anyway, everywhere but Japan and parts of Europe are just complete prudes about, well, the naked body in general.

True that.
I'm getting sort of mixed signals though. On one hand, women aren't allowed to go topless around town here, but on the other I found a comic that depicted a man and a woman fisting eachother simultaneously in the newspaper today.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked