Do You Know Your Apartment Neighbors?
I've gotten to know some of my neighbors.
33.3% (17)
33.3% (17)
No, I'd like to but just really haven't gotten the chance.
5.9% (3)
5.9% (3)
No, I'm a bit of a recluse and prefer to just be left alone.
58.8% (30)
58.8% (30)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: A Question For People That Rent Apartments

I, myself, am currently renting out an apartment. Back in college, I had rented out an apartment for about 4 years straight and I'm currently in about year 3 with my current apartment. One thing I've realized that in my 7 years of apartment life......I've never really gotten to know ANY of my neighbors. Can't say I really have any desire to as I'm a bit of a recluse, but I figured it'd make a fun/interesting question to pose to my fellow Escapists who might be renting an apartment.

So, to those of you who have rented an apartment in the past or are currently renting one, what's the deal with your neighbors? Do you actually know any of them? Or are you like me: you can recognize them when you see them, but you don't even know their names?

I tend to be on nodding terms, but it's not like I go around introducing myself.

I don't need any more friends (or to get to know the weirdoes in the building). :p

I lived in two apartments (one after the other) for about four years in total. I couldn't even identify my neighbors on sight. I could not possibly care less who lives around me, as long as they don't keep me up.

Well, my up stares neighbor is an alcoholic and a druggie. The neighbor that lived next door was a druggie. No I really don't like getting to know people around here. I'm good.

I found out that the guy living in the flat above me also works in the same office building as me, same floor and everything. That was strange...

You kind of have to just be out in public a lot to meet people. If you smoke ciggs or something you're more likely to have an opportunity to say hey. If you just stay in your house, you won't have a chance.

Well, I knew the guy in the bottom flat before I moved in, was friendly with the guy in the middle although we didn't hang out or anything, he moved out but I still stop to chat if I see him in the street. Didn't see much of the guy in the top flat until it turned out we shared a hobby so now I see him quite a bit.

No idea who my neighbors are. Just know the chick upstairs picks the weirdest hours of the day to get her freak on.

My father works with the guy who lives above us, and considering he's the reason we have this apartment in the first place(we were homeless beforehand), being friendly with him and his is to be expected. However, if I were living on my own, I'd've picked the last option.

DirtyJunkieScum:
Well, I knew the guy in the bottom flat before I moved in, was friendly with the guy in the middle although we didn't hang out or anything, he moved out but I still stop to chat if I see him in the street. Didn't see much of the guy in the top flat until it turned out we shared a hobby so now I see him quite a bit.

:3 I really can't help but wonder what this shared hobby is.

I knew my first neighbors really well. We were all gamers so with a shared interest like that, we hung out alot.
But they moved out and were replaced by a 40 year old business man who I've never seen once since he moved in a year ago.
It's all seems to be a bit hit and miss really...

RJ 17:

DirtyJunkieScum:

:3 I really can't help but wonder what this shared hobby is.

Warhammer, I took it up again in an attempt to divert myself from the hobby I share with the other 2.

The complex I lived in was populated mostly by non-English speaking families from the Mideast. My upstairs neighbor was an elderly alcoholic who tossed cigarette butts from his deck into my garden. There was one man about my age, but he had developmental issues and was rumored to have pulled a knife on a (frightened) tenant during a confused spell.

Understandably, I looked elsewhere for friends, but I would've liked to have gotten to know some of the more pleasant folks. s:

I know dogs, not people. I can identify just about all the dogs in my neighborhood, but I couldn't tell you who any of the humans are. I just like to be left to myself.

Hmm well I live in student apartments, separated into flats of 6. I know all of my flatmates, but only one guy from the flat across from me. So Option B, I guess?

Nope . And i have no desire to either everyone in my building is old and/or married . Now if a single lady was to come in ... Actually not even . I suck at making small talk and picking up women , i wouldn't even try ... But is SHE came up to me ... Hell yeah!

straymatter:
My upstairs neighbor was an elderly alcoholic who tossed cigarette butts from his deck into my garden.

That brings up why I love the fact that I live on the top floor. Yeah the stairs are a pain in the ass, but no one lives above me! I'd imagine it must have been pretty aggrivating to have to deal with those cigarettes...when I was in my college apartment I had a guy living above me who listened to just the most god-awful Country music that I could hear for hours on end. Evidently he only liked one song on the album, though, because it was always the same muffled beat coming down...despite the fact that it would last for hours. Despite my attempts to be neighborly about it and simply ask the guy to please keep the music down, he'd only do so for about a week before the volume would creep back up.

I live in subcontracted apartments set aside for all the international students, so even though my building can be quite lively, I only know a few people in the building. Pretty much just my immediate neighbors and a couple of other people I met through a class, and even then I don't interact with any of them much.

No, they're all terrible. Letting their dogs poop and leaving trash in the hallways and partying late at night in the pool. There's one older lady who's a nurse or something who I see outside with her dog when I'm walking mine, and sometimes I talk to her for a minute or so, but I don't really know any of my neighbors by name. I'm not a big fan of apartment living, but it's necessary in my life right now.

One of my friends from work lives in my previous unit in the other building, though. Sometimes he comes over if we've made a dinner on weekends.

I hardly even know my flatmates, and couldn't possibly recognize anyone else by sight.

I don't live in an apartment anymore, but I did get to know a lot of the people in my building during the three years I was in an apartment in college.

-One apartment had people I knew from school.
-The family above me had a military recruiter, his (hot!!!) wife, and his toddler daughter (who ran around all the time and was loud as hell). I used to throw tennis balls at my ceiling when the little girl started making noise in the morning.
-I got to know them when he tried to recruit me one morning (I declined, but he was a nice fellow so we talked for a bit).
-Another were some girls I met at the apartment complex's pool.
-And another actually knocked on my door and offered to smoke hookah (they noticed me smoking my pipe on the balcony, something I did quite often). Those dudes were awesome. And so is hookah.

But on the flip-side, I haven't gotten to know anyone in either of the two houses I've rented since then. Some people I know, but I knew them before I moved in the areas.

In a big ass structure, like what Killam Offers... No fucking thanks. I don't need to know the family next door, and sexual deviants above me (Who are probably not interested in introducing a 3rd. Tried, and, failed.) and the pot smoking 24/7 below me.

When your in a house apartment, you have the desire to meet those who share the same building. Alex, above me is a pretty cool guy, and the construction workers on the other side who LOVE their parties are nice people as well... Haven't had a chance to meet the other guys... But they seem nice.

No. There's an elder couple here that sometimes speak with me when we meet in the hallway, so I play along, but other than that I don't want to talk to any neighbors.

... Don't think I've seen the elder couple in a few years though.

I should get out more.

When boyfriend and I were coming for our viewing at our now-flat, we had to wait about half an hour in the rain because the bloke doing the viewing got stuck in traffic. The people who now live above us kind of glared at us. I don't blame them, we must have looked kind of weird standing outside their house for half an hour.

So since then we're kind of too wussy to introduce ourselves. Besides, they stomp around and hoover at weird times.

The best neighbors are the ones you never see nor hear. Whenever I've been aware of a neighbor it's been because they're a loud fucker and I've had to confront them on numerous occasions. I'll stick with quiet strangers. I have enough friends.

the first time i rented an apartment i didnt know any of my neighbors, the year after that i knew half the building and now im back to not knowing anyone. so if the pattern continues im looking forward to my next move

I am currently renting an apartment and I don't know any of the other tenants. I guess I just don't make the effort and really don't have the opportunity. If I am not in my apartment, then I'm in the process of leaving the building.

I am not against getting to know the others but I'm really not going to make the effort. I am quite content to not bother or be bothered by them.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked