8% (21)
No
80.5% (210)
80.5% (210)
Indifferent
10.7% (28)
10.7% (28)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Texas Students to be monitored with microchips.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I doubt it means tracking students where ever they are. It'll likely be for opening doors and registers to see whos skipping classes etc. Admittedly I don't see much point in using it in a high school, but my university uses them to do registers quickly and to grant access to speciallist labs and building out of regular hours.

ITT: lots of people disliking the idea of being tracked, while not realizing the thousands of other ways they are being tracked every day of their lives.

evilneko:

"It's going to give us the opportunity to track our students in the building," Principal Wendy Reyes of Jones Middle School tells KHOU. "They may have been in the nurse's office, or the counselor's office, or vice principal's office, but they were marked absent from the classroom because they weren't sitting in the class. It will help us have a more accurate account of our attendance."

Sounds like they're looking for a high-tech solution to their low-tech problem.

I'm not worried about the "privacy" of students at school--as has been pointed out, they don't have any. Their lockers can be searched at will, without cause or warrant, for example.

However I do worry about the effect this will have on the students later in life. Getting them used to this kind of thing in school is going to make them more likely to accept it in situations where it really is absolutely inappropriate. People already give up their privacy too easily, and this would severely exacerbate that problem.

Well, it's so much easier to have a person who is hired to watch a screen to tell you someone in in the room or not than have the teacher in the room look at the students. You can't expect teachers to pay attention to their students.

This is horrible, it's an invasin of privacy

NiPah:

So how quick before the shit security of some two bit private agency leaks the personal information of children on the internet? I always love blind faith in the government picked agencies people have, especially in two years when the contract goes to the lowest bidder to save a few hundred bucks.

What personal information? How long on average students take to get from class to class? Or maybe how often a particular student plays hooky?

Ooh, scary stalker material there.

Mortai Gravesend:

Frozen Fox:
What a waste of money, who care if we can put more kids in their seats we still are not teaching them correctly

Who cares if we're teaching them correctly if no one shows up.

still have to get it in order. A mandatory meting with 10 million people in attendance that teaches nothing is still worse than an non-mandatory meting with one single person in attendance that does teach something

I have to say this is also motivation for me to ditch school as a whole rather than just the classes I did, or rather it would have be if I was still attending such things.

Grey Day for Elcia:
ITT: lots of people disliking the idea of being tracked, while not realizing the thousands of other ways they are being tracked every day of their lives.

Well then, I'd love to hear how my movement is being tracked. Go on, tell me.

Frozen Fox:

Mortai Gravesend:

Frozen Fox:
What a waste of money, who care if we can put more kids in their seats we still are not teaching them correctly

still have to get it in order. A mandatory meting with 10 million people in attendance that teaches nothing is still worse than an non-mandatory meting with one single person in attendance that does teach something

Good thing then that schools do actually teach something

Ooo...creepy and Orwellian.

Haha, thats messed up. I see this being abused in the future. Though it seems really easy to beat. Have a friend carry your ID to the next class if hes in it, and BAM! Skipping made easy.

If we can't stop the government, I am going to move to a nice pacific island only touched by crabs and ocean birds. And I will finally be in peace.

And so it begins. More ways to control people.

can someone explain how the fuck this is a problem? Seriously? I don't get it.

No, bad idea.
Unless they're schools for criminals of course.

Weren't a lot of American schools having funding problems? Just how much would these cost? Why can't that funding go into hiring more teachers or lowering school fees or something?

Also, pointless, ridiculously easy to dupe, etc.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Grey Day for Elcia:

I think you are older then the norm but the school I went o had security cameras stationed around the place. Usually so they could check the logs if people got into fights/know who was smoking.

Of course the blind spots were figured out real quick but meh.

Besides when you were at school didn't you have to get permission to leave the class to go to the bathroom?

This proposed system just seems to be too costly to be effective.

Heronblade:

NiPah:

So how quick before the shit security of some two bit private agency leaks the personal information of children on the internet? I always love blind faith in the government picked agencies people have, especially in two years when the contract goes to the lowest bidder to save a few hundred bucks.

What personal information? How long on average students take to get from class to class? Or maybe how often a particular student plays hooky?

Ooh, scary stalker material there.

Yes the ID transmitter number for individual students would be very scary stalker material, since you know they could use it to track that individual on their way home or even around school. Couple that with finding out a student always plays hooky on Monday, or maybe that they always go to the girls bathroom at 9:20am in the morning.

You'd have to be an absolute idiot to not see the dangers of broadcasting the movement and location of school children.

evilneko:
I'm not worried about the "privacy" of students at school--as has been pointed out, they don't have any. Their lockers can be searched at will, without cause or warrant, for example.

However I do worry about the effect this will have on the students later in life. Getting them used to this kind of thing in school is going to make them more likely to accept it in situations where it really is absolutely inappropriate. People already give up their privacy too easily, and this would severely exacerbate that problem.

This and this. The privacy aspect of this is totally pointless, IMO. It's the social conditioning that I'm more concerned about.

370999:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Grey Day for Elcia:

I think you are older then the norm but the school I went o had security cameras stationed around the place. Usually so they could check the logs if people got into fights/know who was smoking.

Of course the blind spots were figured out real quick but meh.

Mmmh, fair point actually. When I lived in England my movement was tracked everywhere, simply because you were in the view of a CCTV camera the second you walked out the front door. (Curiously enough we didn't have THAT many of them hanging around in school.)

Here in Germany it's not so extreme, and I live in a village, so obviously theres not going to be much CCTV cameras around anyway. I also have a really old mobile phone, so while the police could probably locate me if they wanted too (I guess?) it's not like Apple is getting any of my information.

The only real movement from me that's being tracked by a lot of different companies is probably which sites I go to on the internet, and you can avoid that with the help of various browser add ons.

I fail to see why this would be a bad idea like 80% of you do not, but i also do not comprehend why such a (probably expensive) system would be necessary

So education IS getting more money . . .just not for actual education, but ineffective methods of trying to keep track of students.

Mortai Gravesend:

Frozen Fox:

Mortai Gravesend:

Not very well to be honest but that is debatable I suppose, what is not debatable however is that if you need to track you kids so close you need to use what more or less amounts GPS to get them in to a classroom it does not matter if they are in the classroom they are not paying attention. In fact they are likely pissed I would be, i would in fact be so pissed I make smart ass comments and distract all the other kids thus lowing the quality of education.

I even feel a far grater urge to do this as I am being treated as a criminal, my school is run by dicks that treat me as a criminal then fine I will may as well act like a criminal.

Frozen Fox:

Mortai Gravesend:

Frozen Fox:

Not very well to be honest but that is debatable I suppose, what is not debatable however is that if you need to track you kids so close you need to use what more or less amounts GPS to get them in to a classroom it does not matter if they are in the classroom they are not paying attention. In fact they are likely pissed I would be, i would in fact be so pissed I make smart ass comments and distract all the other kids thus lowing the quality of education.

I even feel a far grater urge to do this as I am being treated as a criminal, my school is run by dicks that treat me as a criminal then fine I will may as well act like a criminal.

Well prospective rules shouldn't be abandoned because some people can't behave properly and will be immature about it. There's always people who are irrational and cause trouble for no good reason. They simply need to be taught it isn't acceptable, not kowtowed to.

BathorysGraveland:
Nah, it's a pretty disgusting idea actually. I feel sorry for the people who have to attend Texas schools. Land of the free, indeed.

I wouldn't because the whole reason this is happening is because they're not very good students.

Terminate421:
This has been done before and been proven to waste time and money.

All in all, it'll fail the moment they realize it won't stop a student from being kidnapped.

This isn't about kidnapping, this is about attendance in districts with horrible attendance. When students aren't accounted for the district does not get state funding, the idea is that if they're tracked they will have an incentive to go to school.

DANEgerous:
No this is a hideous idea it is simply an unacceptable invasion of privacy.

School students who are under the age of 18 do not count as citizens and do not get rights given to adults. This is how some justify it.

Mortai Gravesend:

Frozen Fox:

Mortai Gravesend:

Well prospective rules shouldn't be abandoned because some people can't behave properly and will be immature about it. There's always people who are irrational and cause trouble for no good reason. They simply need to be taught it isn't acceptable, not kowtowed to.

But being treated as a criminal when you are not one is a good reason to get pissed, and school need to be taught that is is not acceptable. As I can not vote being a total dick until they kick me out of class or stop treating me as a criminal just sounds like a fantastic idea.

Frozen Fox:

Mortai Gravesend:

Frozen Fox:

But being treated as a criminal when you are not one is a good reason to get pissed, and school need to be taught that is is not acceptable.

It isn't treating them like criminals. It shouldn't affect them at all, they're at school anyway, their location ought to be known regardless. There is nothing sensitive about their location at school.

As I can not vote being a total dick until they kick me out of class or stop treating me as a criminal just sounds like a fantastic idea.

It sounds immature, pointless, and selfish. People like that don't deserve an education.

Arluza:

DANEgerous:

School students who are under the age of 18 do not count as citizens and do not get rights given to adults. This is how some justify it.

Google fuckn use that shit
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=a2ec6811264a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=a2ec6811264a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD

To become a citizen at birth, you must:

Have been born in the United States or certain territories or outlying possessions of the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction of the United States; OR
had a parent or parents who were citizens at the time of your birth (if you were born abroad) and meet other requirements

DANEgerous:

Students have privacy? When did that happen?

When ever I feel like European paternalism is getting out of hand I see one of these articles.

Thank you America... I guess

Zachary Amaranth:

DANEgerous:

Students have privacy? When did that happen?

Never, well at lest not from the time video cameras became available but then again that does not mean they should not fight to the small amount they have left or to be honest get more.

So apparently they want to use this for more accurate attendance. Weird, in my high school we fixed this with pretty simple paperwork. People signed in if they needed to go to the nurses office or some other department and they used an online program to pull the attendance together. Teachers took attendance at the start of class and every class had bathroom passes.

That seems pretty waterproof to me. What are these chips supposed to accomplish that is worth the expense?

Yup, because thankfully we live in a world where no teachers are dogmatic, or prone to anger, or overreaction. Where every single person who becomes a teacher deals with students in a fair and even handed way. Where none of them would dare use such information for anything other than the safety and well being of their students. Where no teachers are murderers, or rapist; prone to exploiting children because it's easier to find them in a vulnerable position.

:/

It's strange; even in Cory Doctorow's somewhat authoritarian-dystopian book Little-Brother, the schools still aren't allowed to microchip students, instead bypassing laws by microchiping things such as Library Books.

Mortai Gravesend:

Frozen Fox:

Mortai Gravesend:

But being treated as a criminal when you are not one is a good reason to get pissed, and school need to be taught that is is not acceptable.

It isn't treating them like criminals. It shouldn't affect them at all, they're at school anyway, their location ought to be known regardless. There is nothing sensitive about their location at school.

As I can not vote being a total dick until they kick me out of class or stop treating me as a criminal just sounds like a fantastic idea.

It sounds immature, pointless, and selfish. People like that don't deserve an education.

Awesome as long as it stops I win, kick me out to the school it accomplishes my goal.

But no you're right you're right being like a human is a very very selfish thing to want. I mean I should track your movements with and RFID you would be immature not to allow this.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked