Honor Student Placed in Jail for Tardiness

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

.. I'm lost for words. This makes me ashamed to live in America (somewhat)
I understand that there are consequences for some actions taken but this .. this is overboard. Please watch the video.

If you didn't watch the video, it's about a girl named Diane Tran, a high school honors student who states that she loves school. She hates to miss it of all things. But this girl, 11th grade honors student has to work two jobs. And a judge has thrown her in jail for excessive truancy. KHOU's Sherry Williams reports... are you kidding me?

So people who've done much worse like politicians that rip off citizens daily of their money or molesters that harass all people including children only get probation or put on the watch list but a teenager who's working two jobs, supporting a small family, and attending school while being in honors is thrown into jail because ... she missed a few to many days of school??

I don't care if it was for one night, jail is jail. Why should people who work so hard be punished like this when those who've gone corrupted or really became low get a punishment that's not even considered harsh or justified? I don't understand our justice system anymore, it's like a joke now and I am very disappointed the judge would do this to the girl. Thoughts on this fellow Escapists?

EDIT: For those of you who can't see the youtube video, here's a link to see the yahoo video version.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/houston11news-15750765/honor-student-placed-in-jail-for-tardiness-and-truancy-at-school-29458964.html

Seems stupid. I mean, it's obvious that missing school doesn't affect her in any negative way, she's a fucking honor's student for gods sake. If anything the judge should have looked at the case and though "meh, if it ain't broke don't fix it" because it's obvious that her pattern of behavior was already working not just for her but as a benefit to society.

Laws aren't an end, they are a means to an end, they are there to establish a working society, and it's obvious that nothing she was doing in any way jeopardized that order.

I....

Nope.
No words.

Yeah well, as tempted as I'm to say "It's Texas" and "I wonder if she had been jailed if she was male", I'm going to settle with...

"Why does my brain seem to be splattered all over the walls now?" Seriously, that's just wrong. What, is she going to also have to register as a convicted felon? Great, way to ruin a young life because you needed a freakin' power trip - because I'd bet one of my less used extremities that's exactly what it was about.

One word, Texas.

They hired a guy to fudge IQ results of mentally retarded death row inmates so they could be legally executed. There is nothing they can do to surprise me ever again.

lol isnt it one night in jail? who cares lol

My God, people. Do people not know what laws and punishment are supposed to be for?

Apparently not. You know those "kids shouldn't have to go to school libertarians", this is why I sympathize with that position. People balk at Youth Rights as all just a bunch of dumb kids who just want to drink all the time. But I dunno, we punish kids a lot in the name of "protecting" them.

I don't see your point. Personally, I think she should be tortured horribly, then thrown in a cell with the key gone.

Right?

Giftfromme:

That's going to look great and funny on a resume, isn't it.

I get the feeling some people don't understand the long-term implications of such stuff.

Giftfromme:

Well, it's a pretty big deal actually for a few reasons...

- This gets placed on her record. She now a convicted felon so it'll be harder for her to get a job elsewhere.

- She was placed in jail for the night, meaning she missed work for both her jobs. That means she missed pay, plus missed the chance to attend school the following day.

- The reason she got jail (which is a big deal) was because she missed a few days of school previously, then missed one more day of school when she's in a very tight spot.

It's really messed up. She works hard, did nothing wrong, an honor student with a family to support and has 2 jobs of constant labor and she's placed in jail over something very minor. I call that injustice. If you don't think that's a big deal, then I wish to ask you.. what would you do if you were in this girls shoes overworked then punished because you've got so much to do?

Even though I'm not surprised by it, I do wish cancer upon the judge. Literally, he's a sick man who was more aware than even we were that she's working two jobs to support her siblings since her parents abandoned them all. The lack of empathy, he's a sick man and deserves to be physically ill and die for what he has done.

Anyway, there's a petition here:

http://www.change.org/petitions/lanny-moriarty-justice-of-the-peace-precinct-1-revoke-the-fine-and-sentencing-of-honors-student-diane-tran#

Though, it would be funny if somebody just straight up murdered him.

EDIT:

Also I'm not joking. If I had the power to have him killed and I could get away with it, he would die. Such cruelty cannot be tolerated.

Vegosiux:
Yeah well, as tempted as I'm to say "It's Texas" and "I wonder if she had been jailed if she was male", I'm going to settle with...

"Why does my brain seem to be splattered all over the walls now?" Seriously, that's just wrong. What, is she going to also have to register as a convicted felon? Great, way to ruin a young life because you needed a freakin' power trip - because I'd bet one of my less used extremities that's exactly what it was about.

A "felon" is someone who has committed a "felony" and a felony is punished by a minimum of 1 year in prison. She went to jail for one day, so it's a misdemeanor, in this case a status offense.

Caramel Frappe:

Giftfromme:

Well, it's a pretty big deal actually for a few reasons...

- This gets placed on her record. She now a convicted felon so it'll be harder for her to get a job elsewhere.

- She was placed in jail for the night, meaning she missed work for both her jobs. That means she missed pay, plus missed the chance to attend school the following day.

- The reason she got jail (which is a big deal) was because she missed a few days of school, perhaps 3-4 times when she's in a very tight spot.

It's really messed up. She works hard, did nothing wrong, an honor student with a family to support and has 2 jobs of constant labor and she's placed in jail over something very minor. I call that injustice. If you don't think that's a big deal, then I wish to ask you.. what would you do if you were in this girls shoes overworked then punished because you've got so much to do?

She's not a felon. A felon is someone who commits a FELONY.

Ahh, Texas, just when we think you haven't failed any harder, you continue to surprise us.

Dirty Hipsters:

Vegosiux:

A "felon" is someone who has committed a "felony" and a felony is punished by a minimum of 1 year in prison. She went to jail for one day, so it's a misdemeanor, in this case a status offense.

Well, my brain being splattered all over the walls, my thinking capabilities were reduced. Still, the power trip comment stands. And the fact that it's doing her no favors for the future.

Vegosiux:

Dirty Hipsters:

Vegosiux:

Well, my brain being splattered all over the walls, my thinking capabilities were reduced. Still, the power trip comment stands. And the fact that it's doing her no favors for the future.

Oh I definitely agree, the judge is a prick.

Dirty Hipsters:
She's not a felon. A felon is someone who commits a FELONY.

My apologies, I was unsure what really goes on her record but I do know she's marked down under a title thus for this situation- it's extremely unfair so I went with felon. But again my bad good sir.

Regnes:
Snip

Thank you for the link. I signed the petition and I also am going to send them an e-mail stating how downright unfair this is overall. I understand how you feel, really.. but violence doesn't solve anything. Doing this in a legal matter will do better plus maybe even put this corrupted judge out of his job. Cause seriously.. I do not see how in any way the judge can walk freely from this now.

"This video is not available in your country."

What? Really?

Thank you OP for describing what the video is about.

OT:

How dare she commit the offense of working 2 jobs to support her family when she should of just left them on the streets eating garbage and sleeping on the streets in winter like any law abiding citizen would of done! she deserves a criminal record to haunt her for the rest of her life for such a vile crime!

I'm so glad we have people like this judge getting paid a triple digit salary to prosecute these scumbags as he's a true paragon of society and totally deserving of his wage and job! he's so much better then the people he condemns!

"If ya let one of them run loose, then what are ya gonna do wit da rest of dem?" --the judge

I bet he feels the same way about gays. Just a hunch. I dunno, this weird vibe I'm getting....

Okay let's watch this...
"This video is not available in your country"
-.- not only are they excessively punishing a girl for no good reason but they're trying to stop people finding out as well.

TopazFusion:

What? Really?

OT:

I wouldn't be so harsh. But I'd also like an explanation - my my internet is...well, gone, I'm now hogging my phone's connection and any YouTube video over 10 seconds long is not worth the hassle to wait for.

The way I understand it, a good student got some bad grades and was...erm, thrown in jail? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, right now, I doubt it will with more information, but it's still worth a try.

TopazFusion:

What? Really?

OT:

No problem at all. Since you can't watch the youtube version though, they do have a yahoo version which I shall link you now, if you're interested in looking into. Hopefully this video shall work for you.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/houston11news-15750765/honor-student-placed-in-jail-for-tardiness-and-truancy-at-school-29458964.html

DoPo:

The way I understand it, a good student got some bad grades and was...erm, thrown in jail? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, right now, I doubt it will with more information, but it's still worth a try.

No, that's the kicker. Her grades are fine.

Caramel Frappe:
No problem at all. Since you can't watch the youtube version though, they do have a yahoo version which I shall link you now, if you're interested in looking into. Hopefully this video shall work for you.

Ahh many thanks. That link worked.

In fact, for convenience, I'll embed it in here in case others have the same issue.

Dryk:

DoPo:

No, that's the kicker. Her grades are fine.

wut?

Wait...

I...

Umm...

OK, so let me get this right: she is a good student and...is apparently thrown in jail. And that's it? I think there is something you're not telling me. Please there be something you're not telling me.

*reads the article*

I see.

Judge Moriarty:
If you let one (truant student) run loose, what are you gonna' do with the rest of 'em? Let them go too?

Yeah dude, like totally. I mean everybody has to be punished for their crimes. Murder? JAIL! Stealing? JAIL! Drunk driving? JAIL! Truancy? JAIL! Jaywalking? JAIL! Littering? JAIL! If you let one CRIMINAL run loose, what are you gonna' do with the rest of 'em? Let them go too?

Caramel Frappe:
Tran

Texas

Why am I not fucking surprised?

Oh yeah, one more thing to say. It actually doesn't matter, honor student or regular student, it's still a retarded ruling. I do realize "Honor student" adds some extra "oomph" to the headline, but if tardiness is an offense, I wonder what to do with people who show up late for work, too.

Good work Texas, making sure no one can take your title of most fucked up state in the US.

I cannot express how utterly fucking ridonkulous this is. Even considering that it is Texas.

To the judge:

Seriously, this is just wrong... Texas, eh? Not surprised.

Regnes:
One word, Texas.

They hired a guy to fudge IQ results of mentally retarded death row inmates so they could be legally executed. There is nothing they can do to surprise me ever again.

"The only smart person to come out of texas is fictional"

This is an absolute fucking travesty. Really? This girl does something commendable everyday of her life, And because she has to make sacrifices she is punished for them? That is disgusting, and shameful. There is no justification.

I've found a video, Summarising exactly what these people are.

And for the record, I bet if she was a white girl they would have let her off completely.
You think that she's the only kid at that school consistantly missing it, and without good reasons for it.
Fuck you texas.

(In fact, How many americans want to be assosciated with the shithole that is texas? Hows about we just regard it as an entity seperate to america?)

What the hell is tardiness? I've never heard that word before O.O

Lanny Moriarty's office contact info:
http://www.mctx.org/courts/justices_of_the_peace/justice_of_the_peace_pct_1/index.html

Fax him a civilized complaint if you want.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here