Honor Student Placed in Jail for Tardiness

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

The Unworthy Gentleman:

Vuliev:
Judge needs to be disbarred and fired. This is fucking ridiculous.

The judge put someone in jail for a crime? RUIN HIS LIFE, NOW!

OT: I get it, she's in a tight spot and she should have had support and really shouldn't have been thrown in jail. But the judge wanted to make a point that breaking the law is fine as long as you have a reason for it. Hopefully some changes will be made to Texas' system but don't crucify the guy for doing his job.

Alright that's as far as I go. Bugger this reading nonsense if this is what I'm reading.

Stop dating Jews. You've been told its illegal. If you do this again, you go before the public courts. Is it moral? Who cares, its the law.

You stole bread. You are a thief. Nobody cares if you stole the bread because you were starving, you stole bread, end of story.

We done yet, or do we need to dig deeper into the past for all the time's it's been morally compulsory for laws to be ignored? Law is not an absolute. Gravity is an absolute. And even then its only regional.

I don't know how the US precedent system works, in Canada its not done quite that way. It isn't perfect, but this judge forgot one of the first rules of Kindergarten: Two wrongs don't make a right. Attach right-wing jokes at own peril.

As for doing his job? Judges don't have jobs. Police officers and soldiers don't have jobs. Politicians DON'T HAVE JOBS! The guy who fixes my toilet has a job, okay? These people have duties, and are fortunate enough to live in a society that can pay them to perform their DUTIES. If the judge were performing his duty in an acceptable way, while some might be complaining about the outcome, I doubt a simple kindergarten rule could point out the flaws in his ruling. His mere statement about thinking on the case making him 'soft' is a violation of his duty! What if it were a rape case and he was uncomfortable with the idea of rape? Would it be acceptable to rush the trial through court, perhaps even letting a guilty man walk, not due to evidence, but because he couldn't stomach hearing it? NO! It is in violation of the judge's duty that he will not contemplate the evidence to make a JUDGMENT. Crucify him? I wish. Sadly it seems lethal injection and shootings are the way of things in Texas. Up here it was hanging. Still fond of that for Canada, we got a hell of a lot a tall trees and no shortage of hemp.

Namehere:

The Unworthy Gentleman:

Vuliev:

OT: I get it, she's in a tight spot and she should have had support and really shouldn't have been thrown in jail. But the judge wanted to make a point that breaking the law is fine as long as you have a reason for it. Hopefully some changes will be made to Texas' system but don't crucify the guy for doing his job.

Alright that's as far as I go. Bugger this reading nonsense if this is what I'm reading.

Stop dating Jews. You've been told its illegal. If you do this again, you go before the public courts. Is it moral? Who cares, its the law.

You stole bread. You are a thief. Nobody cares if you stole the bread because you were starving, you stole bread, end of story.

We done yet, or do we need to dig deeper into the past for all the time's it's been morally compulsory for laws to be ignored? Law is not an absolute. Gravity is an absolute. And even then its only regional.

I don't know how the US precedent system works, in Canada its not done quite that way. It isn't perfect, but this judge forgot one of the first rules of Kindergarten: Two wrongs don't make a right. Attach right-wing jokes at own peril.

As for doing his job? Judges don't have jobs. Police officers and soldiers don't have jobs. Politicians DON'T HAVE JOBS! The guy who fixes my toilet has a job, okay? These people have duties, and are fortunate enough to live in a society that can pay them to perform their DUTIES. If the judge were performing his duty in an acceptable way, while some might be complaining about the outcome, I doubt a simple kindergarten rule could point out the flaws in his ruling. His mere statement about thinking on the case making him 'soft' is a violation of his duty! What if it were a rape case and he was uncomfortable with the idea of rape? Would it be acceptable to rush the trial through court, perhaps even letting a guilty man walk, not due to evidence, but because he couldn't stomach hearing it? NO! It is in violation of the judge's duty that he will not contemplate the evidence to make a JUDGMENT. Crucify him? I wish. Sadly it seems lethal injection and shootings are the way of things in Texas. Up here it was hanging. Still fond of that for Canada, we got a hell of a lot a tall trees and no shortage of hemp.

How do soldiers not have a job?

"Honor Student Placed in Jail for Tardiness"

Why does this remind me of...

OT: Something still stands out to me. How many days did she miss?

1 day? Bah, no case.

2 days? Still no case.

37 days? Well then, that's a different story.

samaugsch:

Namehere:

The Unworthy Gentleman:

Are you serious? Someone attacks your village. There is no army, you are a tribal society. What do you do? Do you do nothing? Do you get killed? Do you resist? A soldier has the duty to safeguard his or her nation. That is a duty, that means the rest of us get on with our lives and don't worry about raiders from wherever. It's a duty because if they weren't doing it, we'd be doing it for ourselves. It MUST be done. It is an essential service. Why do you think they always talk about DOING OUR DUTY. As opposed to doing their job? Do you think the words are merely interchangeable? Appalling!

Moderated:
Was it wrong?
Yes.
Are you overreacting to a single day in jail?
Yes.

Maybe you've never been in poverty, but missing a day of work along with receiving $100 (bullshit) fine could be incredibly painful on the finances. Especially for a high-schooler.

Texas has a funny law about school tardiness.

Missing enough days of school [at least at the school I went to, it was like three days in a month or more that you didn't have an excuse for], your parents can get a fine, failure to pay that can cause them a jail sentence just by being unable to pay it, the same as if you got a parking ticket and was unable to pay it, you could have the option to sit it out in jail.

that being said, let me watch ze video.

Okay, the judge is a piece of shit.

The girl lives by herself, supports her brother at Texas A&M, and her sisters who live in Houston, works two jobs, one being full time, and on top of that she is in honors classes and a couple of AP classes.

The Judge says that if he was to be lenient on her, what about the other kids who get a truancy?

Do the other kids that get truancy's support themselves, have multiple jobs, support their siblings, AND do more demanding work than the rest of the school by being placed in Advanced Placement and Dual Credit classes?

No?

Then shut the fuck up, your argument is fucking invalid.

Just one night in jail isn't a big deal he says, I guess he doesn't realize that stays with you REGARDLESS of what reasoning behind it was.

I want to see this guy's credentials and how the fuck he got elected as a judge in the first place.

Shockolate:
I for one am geniunely curious as to just how many days she has missed.

It might be because I live in Canada, and also I'm not familiar with the laws, but several times I've missed 50+ days. I've even hit 60 twice. That's one third of the entire school year.

Apart from the "miss 15 days in a row and your gone" rule, I've never had any problems. Seems like an overreaction.

Iunno how different it is in Texas, but in our state if you miss 20 the entire year, you automatically fail the school year... if you miss over 10 then you have to go to summer school and getting late to class 3 times adds up to 1 day missed on your record... around 7 or so and they send you a warning letter

Namehere:

The Unworthy Gentleman:

Vuliev:

Yeah, it's not as if mine is one of the few that offers a view that isn't "kill this man for putting this girl in jail for a night." He didn't put her in prison, she isn't a convicted felon, none of the extreme crap that has been spouted in this thread is true. Yes, it might go on her record, but she'll be among the other kids that also didn't go to school. Her reasons were more than legit, I would be one of the first to tell her of my admiration for her reasons, but the fact of the matter is that she broke the law.

That's all I'm saying; she broke the law and the judge punished her for it, as is his duty.

I'm not saying follow the law, hell to that notion, but don't bitch about it when your decisions turn around and bite you in the ass because you didn't follow it. She broke the law and she should accept her punishment as such.

I've already had this argument on these forums about my idea of how the law works (without morals and with the idea that rule #1 is "don't break the law") and I'm not going to have it again. All the examples you provided, regardless of morals, were of people breaking the law and having to accept their punishment. If you don't like a law then you go about changing it, not breaking it. That isn't how the judicial system works. You don't get to pick and choose the laws you want to abide by and expect everyone else to be cool with it.

Break any law you want, I don't care about following them. The one principal about law I will follow till I die, though, is that if you get caught then you accept your punishment. Rapist, truant child, thief who stole to save their family; I don't care, you break the law you accept your punishment.

Oh, for the sake of fuck. You people....I don't even know where to start.

Regnes:
Even though I'm not surprised by it, I do wish cancer upon the judge. Literally, he's a sick man who was more aware than even we were that she's working two jobs to support her siblings since her parents abandoned them all. The lack of empathy, he's a sick man and deserves to be physically ill and die for what he has done.

Anyway, there's a petition here:

http://www.change.org/petitions/lanny-moriarty-justice-of-the-peace-precinct-1-revoke-the-fine-and-sentencing-of-honors-student-diane-tran#

Though, it would be funny if somebody just straight up murdered him.

EDIT:

Also I'm not joking. If I had the power to have him killed and I could get away with it, he would die. Such cruelty cannot be tolerated.

Really? "Cruelty?" It was ONE NIGHT. It will be recorded as a MISDEMEANOR, which will hardly prevent her from getting a job in the future. Yes, there were a ton of outside factors, but it looks like he didn't know about them when he sentenced her. Obviously it's a shitty decision, but hardly worth KILLING him over. Now, I have a feeling you're still unconvinced, so I would just LOVE to hear from you about how this constitutes cruelty and justifies murder, so I can try to prove you wrong. I await your response. Or you could just admit that you tried WAY too hard to be edgy and ended up sounding ridiculous. (NOTE: Even if you weren't trying to be edgy, you still sound ridiculous)

Don Savik:
"If ya let one of them run loose, then what are ya gonna do wit da rest of dem?" --the judge

I bet he feels the same way about gays. Just a hunch. I dunno, this weird vibe I'm getting....

Kahunaburger:

Caramel Frappe:
Tran

Texas

Why am I not fucking surprised?

AND YOU TWO. Yeah, he sentenced a girl to jail, and she happened to be Asian, so HE MUST BE RACIST. Also, it's obvious that he HATES THE GAYS.

Wait a minute: Crazy, violent overreaction? Sensationalism? Making wild accusations and assumptions that are in no way supported by the actual events?

ITS ALWAYS TEXAS! DAMMIT WHY IS IT ALWAYS TEXAS!

We have students being monitored by armed police officers during school hours. With most of those officers being guilty of police brutality prior to the assignment.

We wanted(dont know if we did) to ticket students for breaking school rules.

We wanted to teach the bible as science.

And now we jailed a student for tardiness?

Just... Why.

The Unworthy Gentleman:

Namehere:

The Unworthy Gentleman:

Yeah, it's not as if mine is one of the few that offers a view that isn't "kill this man for putting this girl in jail for a night." He didn't put her in prison, she isn't a convicted felon, none of the extreme crap that has been spouted in this thread is true. Yes, it might go on her record, but she'll be among the other kids that also didn't go to school. Her reasons were more than legit, I would be one of the first to tell her of my admiration for her reasons, but the fact of the matter is that she broke the law.

That's all I'm saying; she broke the law and the judge punished her for it, as is his duty.

I'm not saying follow the law, hell to that notion, but don't bitch about it when your decisions turn around and bite you in the ass because you didn't follow it. She broke the law and she should accept her punishment as such.

I've already had this argument on these forums about my idea of how the law works (without morals and with the idea that rule #1 is "don't break the law") and I'm not going to have it again. All the examples you provided, regardless of morals, were of people breaking the law and having to accept their punishment. If you don't like a law then you go about changing it, not breaking it. That isn't how the judicial system works. You don't get to pick and choose the laws you want to abide by and expect everyone else to be cool with it.

Break any law you want, I don't care about following them. The one principal about law I will follow till I die, though, is that if you get caught then you accept your punishment. Rapist, truant child, thief who stole to save their family; I don't care, you break the law you accept your punishment.

Oh muffin'. I didn't mean to burst your bubble. You're right. We're a lawful evil society. Any time law is enacted it must be correct. Absolutely. Just because the law says the mentally ill should be killed or you can't survive because that's the law, well that's it. Sorry. I didn't realize I upset the only lawful evil poster on the Escapist.

So remember folks, the law isn't there to protect society or advance it. Its there to be obeyed. I'll remember that. Just something you can't find any method or reason to resist. Fair enough... except completely unfair. And we all know people will die if their fair and consider it fair that they should... I wonder what people do when laws become unfair and too unjust to tolerate? Would there be something about that in the US's history? Nah, I must be mistaken.

No comment on the judge who wouldn't review evidence to shape his judgment? Or is that not criminal just a matter of... something or other?

Alright I might have been harsher on you then I should have been. Suffice it to say, I haven't said thing one about the truancy law. I have said that the judge's ruling in this matter was not acceptable. His own statements about not liking to review the case because of how it made him feel demonstrate that he's unfit for the trial of this case at least. With that said, her sentence could easily be argued a mistrial by a well paid lawyer... but she's poor. And frankly doing the time for this girl could be just as bad, not worse merely just as bad, as not doing the time. Might even be better. She is raising two siblings while putting herself through school as an honour student. But I guess she doesn't need protection or assistance from anyone. A judge throwing a book at her will really help rectify this situation. She'll never do that again!

This isn't helpful, this isn't advancing her or her siblings or society at large. This is ridiculous. A ridiculous law is just that. And to pound out the law in letter with no consideration of spirit, doesn't require a judge, just a computer program. If this is sound judgement and valid justice, then stop hiring/voting in judges and start setting up the computer program that accepts no justification of action. And it is lawful evil to sit around espoucing people be punished for violating laws whose violation was the only means of continued survival. Seems to me those two siblings of her's would be screwed if she weren't supporting them. AKA Lawful AKA Evil.

Suddenly, I just had a flashback of why I hate driving through Texas

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:

Kahunaburger:

Caramel Frappe:
Tran

Texas

AND YOU TWO. Yeah, he sentenced a girl to jail, and she happened to be Asian, so HE MUST BE RACIST. Also, it's obvious that he HATES THE GAYS.

YOU TWO.

TWO

Also, it's Texas, man. Racism is not out of character for their judicial system by a long stretch.

Namehere:
Oh muffin'. I didn't mean to burst your bubble. You're right. We're a lawful evil society. Any time law is enacted it must be correct. Absolutely. Just because the law says the mentally ill should be killed or you can't survive because that's the law, well that's it. Sorry. I didn't realize I upset the only lawful evil poster on the Escapist.

So remember folks, the law isn't there to protect society or advance it. Its there to be obeyed. I'll remember that. Just something you can't find any method or reason to resist. Fair enough... except completely unfair. And we all know people will die if their fair and consider it fair that they should... I wonder what people do when laws become unfair and too unjust to tolerate? Would there be something about that in the US's history? Nah, I must be mistaken.

No comment on the judge who wouldn't review evidence to shape his judgment? Or is that not criminal just a matter of... something or other?

Oh my fucking God, why does nobody ever get the right idea when I have this argument.

1) Don't bitch about being punished for breaking the law, just accept your punishment.
2) The law has nothing to do with right or wrong, you've pointed that out yourself, it's all about making society feel secure.
3) Disagreeing with the law doesn't make it lawful to break it. You change the law if you disagree with it.

Did you even bother to fucking read my post or did you just look over it? It doesn't appear as though you did read it, considering you missed all of the key points.

Finally, I just disregarded that point about the judge because it had literally no place in the argument. That's an entirely different situation to the one at hand and then the judge isn't doing their job right. But the judge didn't rush through this and disregard that the girl worked, he just ignored it because it holds no precedence to the fact that she broke the law.

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:
Snip

I respect and acknowledge your post of course, but I would like to say this situation is still very messed up. The judge may of been just doing his job, however.. he even admitted that he could of let the girl off easily. His reasons to be harsh on her is invalid, as in his justification did not make sense at all. Being soft and being sensible are two entirely different things, he could of given her a less harsher punishment and looked into the matter but because he feared other people pulling out the 'tardiness' card, he sent this girl to jail for the night.

You may not see it as a harsh punishment and I understand that, but you have to know.. it sticks with you. Also it's cruel to me because she gets jail when other people who have done much worse get only probation and the sort. Not to mention she got jail for .. being tardy to many times when her grades are perfectly fine and she's got a load of things to take care of. The laws are to protect people and keep society in check, not to enforce society to crumble when they're unable to do much to live (the poor, the overworked, ect. and this girl makes a fine example of that).

The laws are there for a reason but.. not all laws are good for us to be honest. There are some laws that are just ridiculous, and the punishments that follow for that law are just as bad. Clearly this is a bad judge and I do not approve of his actions. If you disagree with me, that is fine but know I don't think the girl deserved any of this period.

I missed school all the time but i wouldn`t dream of going to jail for it. Good thing there are sane laws in my country.

That judge needs to be barred from working in the legal system ever again, and whatever fucked up law is in place that allows this sort of horse shit needs to be destroyed, NOW.

Kahunaburger:

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:

Kahunaburger:

YOU TWO.

TWO

Also, it's Texas, man. Racism is not out of character for their judicial system by a long stretch.

I'm not sure why you put so much emphasis on "two". I was addressing two people (you and the guy who accused the judge of homophobia), thus: "And you two".

And anyway, assuming he's racist because he's from Texas and she's Asian is still a pretty big leap as far as I'm concerned.

Caramel Frappe:

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:
Snip

I respect and acknowledge your post of course, but I would like to say this situation is still very messed up. The judge may of been just doing his job, however.. he even admitted that he could of let the girl off easily. His reasons to be harsh on her is invalid, as in his justification did not make sense at all. Being soft and being sensible are two entirely different things, he could of given her a less harsher punishment and looked into the matter but because he feared other people pulling out the 'tardiness' card, he sent this girl to jail for the night.

You may not see it as a harsh punishment and I understand that, but you have to know.. it sticks with you. Also it's cruel to me because she gets jail when other people who have done much worse get only probation and the sort. Not to mention she got jail for .. being tardy to many times when her grades are perfectly fine and she's got a load of things to take care of. The laws are to protect people and keep society in check, not to enforce society to crumble when they're unable to do much to live (the poor, the overworked, ect. and this girl makes a fine example of that).

The laws are there for a reason but.. not all laws are good for us to be honest. There are some laws that are just ridiculous, and the punishments that follow for that law are just as bad. Clearly this is a bad judge and I do not approve of his actions. If you disagree with me, that is fine but know I don't think the girl deserved any of this period.

Oh don't get me wrong. I agree that it is very shitty decision. I'm just saying it's not worth KILLING him over. Big difference. The man is clearly an idiot.

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:

And anyway, assuming he's racist because he's from Texas and she's Asian is still a pretty big leap as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, I'm sure it's just a coincidence that a "justice" system that's most well-known for its deeply entrenched racist sentiment happened to pick an Asian to disproportionately punish for being poor.

The Unworthy Gentleman:

Namehere:

Oh my fucking God, why does nobody ever get the right idea when I have this argument.

1) Don't bitch about being punished for breaking the law, just accept your punishment.
2) The law has nothing to do with right or wrong, you've pointed that out yourself, it's all about making society feel secure.
3) Disagreeing with the law doesn't make it lawful to break it. You change the law if you disagree with it.

Did you even bother to fucking read my post or did you just look over it? It doesn't appear as though you did read it, considering you missed all of the key points.

Finally, I just disregarded that point about the judge because it had literally no place in the argument. That's an entirely different situation to the one at hand and then the judge isn't doing their job right. But the judge didn't rush through this and disregard that the girl worked, he just ignored it because it holds no precedence to the fact that she broke the law.

I won't respond again. Your attitude is wholly uncivilized. No respectable judge will tell you that crimes are tried outside of circumstance. When the judge himself says that reviewing the case makes him 'soft inside' something has gone wrong. Watch the video, the part where the press asks the judge if anything can be done and he explains he is uncomfortable reviewing the case.

I read your post. Did you read mine? Mistrial. No high priced lawyer to say it? Damn, guess she's SOL.

Breaking the law in an emergency situation, like being a 17 year old on her own raising two siblings, is far different from regularly speeding. People get exceptions for speeding when the cop who stops them discovers dude's driving his pregnant wife to the hospital while she's in labour; this is called an EMERGENCY. If hers isn't a family in crisis, whose is? LAWFUL EVIL absolutely. A law that doesn't take into considerations the circumstances of those its convicting is no longer convicting people but behaviour and is absolutely useless. The individual becomes meaningless. There were extenuating circumstances that the judge should have been and likely was bound by jurisprudence to look at and didn't. Mistrial.

I'm not sure what else to say here. Anyone willing to follow a law because its called 'a law' is morally blind. You aren't that obviously or you'd tackle this issue a whole other way or simply not care. So whatever your agenda is is beyond me, but law doesn't work as you've stated you wish it does - thank whatever gods there are.

By the way, I hope some day you find yourself in a burning house in the middle of the night, sleeping in your underwear. Then you can decide for yourself, do I get dressed in my trousers or get out of the burning building? I think you need more emergency situations mate.

So if she keeps this up do we put her in jail for 3 days IE for her to miss school for missing school? Also she has fantastic grades so why is she punished at all?

Well you gotta go to school to get better grades!
But I have fantastic grades. I will graduate with honors
Have you ever missed a question ever in your life?!
Yeah.
See you gotta go! You gotta get dem better grades!

I mean seriously this implies that more import than how well you do in school more important than how intelligent you are or how well you are doing is that you are going to school. So a kid that went failed twice and thus had 6 years of High School yet still never graduated yet had perfect attendance is implied to be better than a honors student with X absences due to a lack of procession of the former student.

Kahunaburger:

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:

Yeah, I'm sure it's just a coincidence that a "justice" system that's most well-known for its deeply entrenched racist sentiment happened to pick an Asian to disproportionately punish for being poor.

They didn't "pick" her, she broke the damn law. Maybe it's a stupid law, but she still broke it. It had nothing to do with race. Unless you can show me an instance where a white person was in a similar situation, under the same judge, and got off easier, then your statement is unfounded. There is simply nothing to argue about here.

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:

Kahunaburger:

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:

They didn't "pick" her, she broke the damn law.

Actually, the judge said he wanted to "make an example." That sure sounds like picking someone to me.

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:
Maybe it's a stupid law, but she still broke it. It had nothing to do with race. Unless you can show me an instance where a white person was in a similar situation, under the same judge, and got off easier, then your statement is unfounded. There is simply nothing to argue about here.

You're not that familiar with how this type of racism works, are you?

Namehere:

samaugsch:

Namehere:

Are you serious? Someone attacks your village. There is no army, you are a tribal society. What do you do? Do you do nothing? Do you get killed? Do you resist? A soldier has the duty to safeguard his or her nation. That is a duty, that means the rest of us get on with our lives and don't worry about raiders from wherever. It's a duty because if they weren't doing it, we'd be doing it for ourselves. It MUST be done. It is an essential service. Why do you think they always talk about DOING OUR DUTY. As opposed to doing their job? Do you think the words are merely interchangeable? Appalling!

Seems like it's more about not doing a job as opposed to not having one at all.

Texas, huh?

Maybe I will try and aim for college out of state after all...

This thing was supposed to be for students who happily skipped school and whose parents apparently couldn't do anything about it. Not for someone who isn't trying to. *rolls eyes* Oi.

How do soldiers not have a job?[/quote]
Seems like it's more about not doing a job as opposed to not having one at all.[/quote]

Sorry for deleting things, just clearing up the post a little. Getting kind of long.

Yes, exactly! The judge didn't do his duty. But it isn't a JOB. A shoe maker making shoes for a living to support his family has a job. Soldiers aren't soldiers to support their families, their soldiers to defend their country. That is a duty. Not just a job. A judge isn't a judge to support his or her family. They've got a duty and a duty to perform well on top of it all. It has nothing to do with job. It has to do with the level of accountability and the back spill on it when things boil over. A plumber screws up, one guy, one building, suffers. A soldier screws up and a whole nation can be destroyed. A lawyer screws up and one criminal or victim or some criminals and victims suffer. A judge screws up and its terrible, especially at the supreme court level in any country that's got one..

It isn't about jobs. God get the capitalist ethics out of it already. It's about the importance of what someone's doing, the global impact on either a society, nation or perhaps 'the world.' But these duties must be done and we are fortunate to live in a time when people are paid to execute these duties, allowing us the assumption dedicated of professionals. That doesn't change the fact that it isn't a job, you don't do it for the money, you do it for the love of duty.

Until the 1980s or so in Canada we didn't pay our PM much money, barely enough to really be noticeable frankly. It was because we believed that if someone wanted to assume that 'duty' they had to be self sufficient for their term in office. If they could be there was a good chance they'd be able to assist in running the country well. Duty is different from job. And the only thing more offensive then people who don't know it, are people who accept duties for pay. Because if your doing a duty for the money, your in it for all the wrong reasons. People who accept duties also accept a higher level of responsibility though.

I hope that helps clarify things and prevents the obvious capitalist rant you were about to have. Or else of course I've just sparked it off by suggesting the nature of someone's work might be more important then what their paid for it.

I'm divided, on one hand it's pretty ridiculous and undeserved but on the other she did break the law and you can't go around letting people go free just because of their personal affairs or how good they are at school or whatever, there can't be any sort of partiality.

Does it suck? yes.

Morally was it deserved? no.

In principle was it fair because the law was broken and you can't make exceptions? yes.

*Puts judge on hit list for when i take over the world*
Boy this list is getting long better get some more paper

I live in Texas about 35 miles from where this girl goes to school. I can assure everyone here that Judge Moriarty is a total asshole. Probably the largest asshole judge out there. A few years ago a friend of mine appeared before him for disorderly conduct because he told a cop "watch it jackass" when the officer didn't look where he was going and walked right into my friend spilling his beer all over him at the renaissance fair. The cop pissed wrote him the ticket. When my friend went to court over it Judge Moriarty threw the book at him. He was fined $1200.00 and sentenced 30 days in jail. I was there and he was very respectful dressed professionally and everything but this fucker didn't care. Luckily for my friend he had plenty of vacation time so he didn't lose his job.

Regnes:

Also I'm not joking. If I had the power to have him killed and I could get away with it, he would die. Such cruelty cannot be tolerated.

I agree. He and people like him are a sickness that is devouring the world, and should be terminated.

And yet another example of how shitty the law system is in the U.S
How the fuck can it be ilegal not to go to school? Also, how the fuck is it legal to jail a 11th grader?
I'm starting to like our "inmune to the law until 18 unless you commit a heinous crime like, say, murder" deal. Between this, and the fact that they put 14 year olds on trial for mocking a school principal online... My god, does it suck to live in the U.S
(Waits for last sentence to trigger U.S born moderator's wrath)

fedefrasis:
How the fuck can it be ilegal not to go to school? Also, how the fuck is it legal to jail a 11th grader?

Because it's our state law.

http://www.houstonisd.org/StudentSupportServices/Home/Student%20Engagement/Specialists/CompulsorySchoolAttendance.pdf

The thing is her parents should have been punished not her.

Caramel Frappe:
*SNIP*

Farseer Lolotea:
*SNIP*

Regnes:
*SNIP*

Okay first off. If you miss a lot of school it is USUALLY the parents that face jail time. This is to keep the children in school and to make it so they are made to go to school by their parents. Seeing as how it says that her parents divorced and moved away and that is why she has a full time and part time job it comes down to a choice that she has to make. School or work. If she loves school so much then it shouldn't be too hard.

Also a question that gets raised by this video is why didn't she move with her mother or father.

Having a hard life and having to work 2 jobs isn't an excuse. Considering how shes apparently providing for her OLDER brother who is IN COLLEGE but by the video he doesn't have a job. Maybe he should get one.

My thoughts on the verdict and whether he should over turn it. In my opinion no she should have known the consequences of missing so much school well now she does. If she wants to work the two jobs and avoid anything else like this she should just get her GED shes smart enough to.

porpoise hork:

fedefrasis:

Because it's our state law.

http://www.houstonisd.org/StudentSupportServices/Home/Student%20Engagement/Specialists/CompulsorySchoolAttendance.pdf

The thing is her parents should have been punished not her.

From the video though her parents aren't around anymore. They divorced and moved away to god knows where the video doesn't state.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked