And the Hero that DC teases that will come out of the closet is.........

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

this guy Alan Scott
Green Lantern of Earth 2.
well according to Bleeding Cool at least.

If this is true, I'm kinda disappointed because thought it would be game changer with being one of the main heroes being gay and giving a giant middle finger to all the bigots out there but this wouldn't even made a ripple because for all intents and purposes he is a D-list hero.

Very few people in the mainstream audience know who the Green Lantern are except for some who watched the JL cartoon and in there the GL is African American and not Hal Jordan even though he appeared in one episode as far as I can remember and that disastrous movie that most people want to forget.

Also very few people are aware of the DC multiverses let alone Earth 2 and one of them is yours truly and become aware of it that is after Moviebob discussed it on The Big Picture.

So your thoughts if in fact this is true.

IF it in fact is true, this changes nothing for me since I've never liked the Green Lantern to begin with.

So having him coming out of the closet does two things for me, one being questioning DC's logic in all this, and two, not giving a crap about DC unless it deals with Batman. Because, you know, he's Batman.

cant we just make a new bad ass yet gay superhero? I mean Batman and Superman are the only two well respected DC heroes because people think Wonder Woman is a superman clone and doing away with ether of their love interests is just kinda dumb. I mean Clark and Lois are the classic couple of comics and the Bat has a play boy mansion.

Please note this is not my "thing I have against gays!" okay I have a husband I am gay. But one of these two is just like making James Bond gay, and I think that we can all agree that would be stupid as all hell.

I have a better idea, instead of "re-imagining" a established character as gay, why not make a new one?

Now that is a big belt!

That is a bit of a lackluster effort on DC's part really. They just rewrote their continuity so it could have been anyone...but they make it a D-Lister. I was thinking it could have been Speedy as he isn't a junkie or a father anymore.

Helmholtz Watson:
I have a better idea, instead of "re-imagining" a established character as gay, why not make a new one?

That is impossible for DC. They have no originality anymore. They even have to use marketing ploys by other publishers to make sales.

Otherwise, there wouldnt be a Dog from Krypton.

Here is my impression of a DC exec..... "Sales are down, we need to think of something quick....What has marvel done recently"? Another guy in the room " Wikipedia says they just made a character gay"... DC Exec. "Fantastic. Making somebody gay is a very original idea. Glad we thought of it. Now where is our cocaine?"

I wouldn't call Alan Scott D-List, he was pretty popular in the Golden Age and has regularly been in comics. He's more B-C list depending on how narrow your definition is.

But yeah I was expecting like Wally West, Tim Drake, someone like that.

Well it explains the costume. ZING

But seriously to all those who are calling him a D-lister, he's the ORIGINAL Green Lantern. True he's been a bit under the radar but this is still a big move for DC. While he may not be as "Iconic" these days as he used to be he was a founding member of the JSA, precursor to the JLA and one of the first (maybe THE first) big companywide superhero teams.

I just hope that they handle it well if this does turn out to be true.

I would normally come here to ask why anyone is okay with altering an established character with significant backstory drastically for the sake of a petty political correctness cold war with a competing company. Tbh seems more insulting to me than anything else.

However I don't know anything about that green lantern's backstory, or even regular story, so whatever.

Dammit, I was hoping Icon.

They kept saying "Iconic". And he would've been a Gay, Black, Republican. It would've been ballsy as fuck.

They should make Superman gay.

No really. Gay. Superman.

Didn't that guy have a daughter?

uneek:
Didn't that guy have a daughter?

Daughter and a gay son funnily enough. But that has been retconned away in Earth-2 already. They also took away his originality as he was originally not actually a Green Lantern in the same way of Hal Jordan, instead he's now just the Green Lantern of the Earth-2 alternate reality.

The old Green Lantern that nobody remembers still is part of the DC universe?

Yeah, he really is a MAJOR player nowadays.

Not G. Ivingname:

If you read DC he's still very important playing big roles in 52, Blackest Night, Brightest Day and more. Yes he doesn't have much pop-culture love but he is a major character in the DCU. Or was before the reboot.

darkcalling:
Well it explains the costume. ZING

I dunno, I thought gay folk had better fashion sense than that...that disaster.

Yeah... I'm calling cop-out on this one.

Not that choosing a different hero would have quelled any possible public outcry.

...Not convinced until the official unveiling... They said iconic, which kinda implies this hero will be nearer the forefront of the story right?

STILL THINK IT'S FLASH UNTIL SOMEONE PROVES ME WRONG.

For everything else there is fanfiction.

<Commercial jingle>

I don't see why they are making a big deal out of a character being gay. To me it just seems like a very desperate attempt to gain attention.

He'll never be as cool as the black Green Lantern.

No one will ever be as cool as the black Green Lantern. He's my favorite DC superhero, hands down.

This new one can go ahead and suck a di- wait a second...

Helmholtz Watson:

I would imagine a mix of using a pre-existing character allows them to get more sales if the character's popular and also they won't have to work hard to try and push a new character into a market where the comic might fail and cost them a lot.

It's just more safe to toss the label of something popular onto a new idea to help it float and make money. Like gluing Star Wars onto anything.

I'm wondering how Alan Scott fits the bill of being an iconic character myself.

evilneko:
They should make Superman gay.

No really. Gay. Superman.

I won't lie, when I read about the impending reveal I suddenly thought that perhaps this was why they broke up Lois and Clarke in the Superman mythos, to do this. Man if the announcement had said 'Superman is Gay' then I would have fucking cheered, if only to see the 'Million Moms' organisation loose its mind.

malestrithe:

Well he is the first Green Lantern and that counts as being iconic for some people.

You know I just remembered, this GL's weakness is wood.

There's supposed to be a joke about wood and being gay and I just don't know what it is.

Bluntman1138:

Helmholtz Watson:

That is impossible for DC. They have no originality anymore. They even have to use marketing ploys by other publishers to make sales.

Here is my impression of a DC exec..... "Sales are down, we need to think of something quick....What has marvel done recently"? Another guy in the room " Wikipedia says they just made a character gay"... DC Exec. "Fantastic. Making somebody gay is a very original idea. Glad we thought of it. Now where is our cocaine?"

I have to correct you here. MAINSTREAM-DC has no originality. The rest of probably the most original of all comicbooks. What is the "rest"? I talk, of course, of Vertigo, which is formally owned and ran by DC.

V for Vendetta.
Sandman.
Lucifer.
Fables.
Ex Machina.
Hellblazer.

If that shit ain't original, what the hell is?
Vertigo is responsible for pretty much every successful deconstruction and reconstruction of the superhero-genre. And they are still going strong

Antonio Torrente:

malestrithe:

Well he is the first Green Lantern and that counts as being iconic for some people.

There's supposed to be a joke about wood and being gay and I just don't know what it is.

To most, Hal Jordan is Green Lantern. Either way, Green Lantern is not on the same level as Batman, Superman or Wonder Woman, you know the three that always appear in every adaptation at some point.

chadachada123:
He'll never be as cool as the black Green Lantern.

No one will ever be as cool as the black Green Lantern. He's my favorite DC superhero, hands down.

This new one can go ahead and suck a di- wait a second...

I hate to be that guy but this isn't a new one. He was the original Green Lantern, although he wasn't actually a Green Lantern, except it was retconed so he is now... comic continuity is complicated okay.

And agreed on John Stewart being awesome.

If this is actually what they are doing, I'm not surprised. I expected that the characters they, and the core comic readers consider iconic to be different to what the general population does.

Antonio Torrente:

malestrithe:

I think the real joke is that there are all those colored rings, so they already have the LGTB rainbow motif already worked in!

DeimosMasque:

Not G. Ivingname:

If you read DC he's still very important playing big roles in 52, Blackest Night, Brightest Day and more. Yes he doesn't have much pop-culture love but he is a major character in the DCU. Or was before the reboot.

Well if that's the case then it won't be this guy, will it? I thought DC said it's someone who hasn't featured in the New 52 yet?

I was hoping for Aquaman.

Cause it's just so logically sound.

Wait, why are we surprised? of course the guy with the magic ring is gay!

Wait...what? Seems like an out-of-the-way change up, dont'cha think? But whatever...

Realitycrash:

Bluntman1138:

Helmholtz Watson:

I have to correct you here. MAINSTREAM-DC has no originality. The rest of probably the most original of all comicbooks. What is the "rest"? I talk, of course, of Vertigo, which is formally owned and ran by DC.

V for Vendetta.
Sandman.
Lucifer.
Fables.
Ex Machina.
Hellblazer.

Vertigo is responsible for pretty much every successful deconstruction and reconstruction of the superhero-genre. And they are still going strong

You can't count its indie house as mainstream DC, their different :p

Also i still think its going to be aquaman, look at those shiny trousers :D

Altorin:
I was hoping for Aquaman.

Cause it's just so logically sound.

I think the keyword is "ironic". Or they just wanted people to actually care about the change.
I'm exaggerating... but Aquaman does kinda suck.

Anyway, I was always under the impression Alan Scott was married? Now I need to check on that and I just know that I'll end up on another big Wikipedia readout for the next ten hours.

Realitycrash:

Bluntman1138:

Helmholtz Watson:

V for Vendetta.
Sandman.
Lucifer.
Fables.
Ex Machina.
Hellblazer.

Unfortunately for the Vertigo imprint the titles just are mediocre or awful when adapted as movies. Example V for Vendetta which is ok but a failure on the box office, so yeah only readers or have knowledge with the mythos can appreciate it not the mainstream audience

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked