Man Convicted Of Rape Free After Accuser Reveals She Lied; Will Try-Out for NFL

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rough last 10 years for Brian Banks. Star American football player in high school in California. Then a girl he makes out with accuses him of rape, and despite no evidence of such actions, he is sentenced to 5 years in jail, and has to be registered as a sex offender, preventing him for going to college or getting a job.

When the girl, Wanetta Gibson, who accused him wanted to meet via FaceBook, to of all things GET BACK TOGETHER, he taped her conversation alongside a private investigator stating that she lied to the police. She got a 1.5 million dollar settlement from the school, which her family burned through in six months, and she now has 4 kids from 2 different dads.

Banks took the info to court, and his conviction was overturned. He will get $100 for every day he was in jail. To add the news, 5 NFL teams have offered him workouts, since he spent all of his free time staying in shape.

It is stories like this that make me feel good.

Thoughts?

Well it certainly doesn't make me feel good, no way. Scared, actually. Knowing some random chick who is money-hungry could accuse me of raping her and that I'd probably be hauled off to prison for 5 or more years. Yeah, no fucking thanks, man.

BathorysGraveland:
Well it certainly doesn't make me feel good, no way. Scared, actually. Knowing some random chick who is money-hungry could accuse me of raping her and that I'd probably be hauled off to prison for 5 or more years. Yeah, no fucking thanks, man.

You know i hear homosexuality is all the rage now

Blobpie:

I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what that means. Care to enlighten me?

BathorysGraveland:

Blobpie:

I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what that means. Care to enlighten me?

"All the rage" basically means; it's growing in popularity

Good for him. Least it's working out for him in the end.

But still, all that time (how long was he actually in jail for?) locked up because of a lie. There would always be a very dark part of me after that if I was him. I can't stand my time being wasted (then again, he did stay in shape and that's paid off with NHL calling).

Well its good to hear a news story that doesn't involve plumbing the depths of human depravity for once. Also, is he any good at football? What position is he seeking?

Blobpie:

Right. And I'm guessing your point is that it would be equally possible for a man to say I raped him? Either way, my original point still stands. Someone got 5 years taken from him for an action he didn't commit by an accusation. Not something to sit comfortably with.

The overarching story of this woman lying and getting a man sent to jail for 5 years for a crime he didn't commit AND getting paid 1.5 million makes me sick, but the fact that the NFL teams are willing to help him get his life back on track and he's at least getting some compensation (even if it is a pittance compared to what she burnt through) does make me feel somewhat better about the whole sorry situation.

Can't they take her to court, for false accusations?

Especially considering she essentially stole $1.5 million dollars.

Although she probably doesn't have any money

Prosis:

Go back and read the third paragraph.

bibblles:
Well its good to hear a news story that doesn't involve plumbing the depths of human depravity for once. Also, is he any good at football? What position is he seeking?

He was Wide Receiver in high school, still runs a 4.6 40-yard dash and benches 550 pounds. Not bad at 6'2, 245 pounds.

I think she should be forced to register as a sex offender, it actually makes sense when you think about it. She has forced an innocent man to live a life as a sex offender, making him into an outcast to be ridiculed, shunned, and hated for his sexual life. I would describe that as extreme sexual harassment.

EDIT:

Also of course child protective services should take away any of her four children that may be in her custody.

I also hate how so many places in the States have laws in place protecting the state from legal action regarding false convictions. If it's considered ok to sue a major corporation for libel, slander, or any other misdeeds that have a negative impact on you, why should it not be ok to take the state for millions in the rare cases where they screwed up big time.

The woman is at fault, but the State is responsible for allowing the conviction to happen, they should pay more than 100 dollars a day. He should get at least twice that and also tax exemption for the rest of his life. If the government has violated your civil rights, you should not be expected to fulfill your civic duties.

Lagao:

Prosis:

Noted. Although 182k is poor compensation for 5 years in prison IMO. And still a heck of a lot less than 1.5 million

BathorysGraveland:

Blobpie:

Right. And I'm guessing your point is that it would be equally possible for a man to say I raped him? Either way, my original point still stands. Someone got 5 years taken from him for an action he didn't commit by an accusation. Not something to sit comfortably with.

I think his point was the exact OPPOSITE actually; that being gay is all the rage due to guys NOT crying rape and suing for money and such things, since in our culture guys apparently can't get raped.

This sort of thing wouldn't be happening if they would raise the standards for evidence for rape accusations. Recall how long the Duke lacrosse case went on for despite there being tons of evidence of fabrication from the very start.

Even worse if you're black. And yeah, false accusations (not the cases that end up inconclusive) should have very heavy punishments.

Dreiko:

BathorysGraveland:

Blobpie:

I think his point was the exact OPPOSITE actually; that being gay is all the rage due to guys NOT crying rape and suing for money and such things, since in our culture guys apparently can't get raped.

I thought his point was that there is a lot of gay sex in prison.

I could be wrong however.

OT: That bitch deserves ten years jail.

Regnes:
I think she should be forced to register as a sex offender, it actually makes sense when you think about it. She has forced an innocent man to live a life as a sex offender, making him into an outcast to be ridiculed, shunned, and hated for his sexual life. I would describe that as extreme sexual harassment.

EDIT:

Also of course child protective services should take away any of her four children that may be in her custody.

I also hate how so many places in the States have laws in place protecting the state from legal action regarding false convictions. If it's considered ok to sue a major corporation for libel, slander, or any other misdeeds that have a negative impact on you, why should it not be ok to take the state for millions in the rare cases where they screwed up big time.

The woman is at fault, but the State is responsible for allowing the conviction to happen, they should pay more than 100 dollars a day. He should get at least twice that and also tax exemption for the rest of his life. If the government has violated your civil rights, you should not be expected to fulfill your civic duties.

I second this. Also, why the hell is the woman not being arrested for PERJURY and a slew of other charges?

I'd sue the fuck out of her, as well.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
Rough last 10 years for Brian Banks. Star American football player in high school in California. Then a girl he makes out with accuses him of rape, and despite no evidence of such actions, he is sentenced to 5 years in jail, and has to be registered as a sex offender, preventing him for going to college or getting a job.

When the girl, Wanetta Gibson, who accused him wanted to meet via FaceBook, to of all things GET BACK TOGETHER, he taped her conversation alongside a private investigator stating that she lied to the police. She got a 1.5 million dollar settlement from the school, which her family burned through in six months, and she now has 4 kids from 2 different dads.

Banks took the info to court, and his conviction was overturned. He will get $100 for every day he was in jail. To add the news, 5 NFL teams have offered him workouts, since he spent all of his free time staying in shape.

Thoughts?

about 300,000 dollars... Really? A decade of a mans life is only worth about a quarter of a million?

Well hope all works out for him.

Regnes:

EDIT:

...The problem with that is, if you sue the government you're never actually hurting the government your hurting the tax payers (including yourself).

I agree we as a society should do way more to right the wrong when we take away a mans life like this due to error. Half a million per decade is where I'd set the bar.

SaneAmongInsane:

...The problem with that is, if you sue the government you're never actually hurting the government your hurting the tax payers (including yourself).

I agree we as a society should do way more to right the wrong when we take away a mans life like this due to error. Half a million per decade is where I'd set the bar.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem in taking the government for everything it's worth. I would be pretty bitter with the world, to hell with everybody, the world turned it's back on him already.

If I was wrongly convicted and served even one year, I would take as much taxpayers monety as possible, burn my flag and move to another country.

Well it's good to see he got justice after all.

She should be tossed in prison for the next 10 years and, after that, be forced to work on a farm picking veggies at a fair wage till she pays off the 1.5million she gained.

SaneAmongInsane:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Thoughts?

about 300,000 dollars... Really? A decade of a mans life is only worth about a quarter of a million?

It's actually more than twice that. And he was in prison for five years.

Freechoice:

SaneAmongInsane:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Thoughts?

It's actually more than twice that. And he was in prison for five years.

Uh..... I'm only getting 182,500 with my calculations (I suck at maths however)

100 (money) x 365 (days in a year) x 5 (years in prison) = 182,500

Supertegwyn:

Uh..... I'm only getting 182,500 with my calculations (I suck at maths however)

100 (money) x 365 (days in a year) x 5 (years in prison) = 182,500

Yeah, I just got that too... Dafuq?

100$ per day is 700$ per week. If you work 5 days per week, 8 hours a day, you'd need to earn 17.50 dollars (before tax) to match that. That's not a lot.

Those 182,500 dollars are probably just reimburing the man for the lost salary of a low end job.

He needs to also get indemnified for:
- 5 years of freedom lost (whatever number you want to put on that)
- not having been able to go to college and thereafter find a job paying him much more than 17.50
- not having been able to try for the NFL (if that was ever a likelihood)

On top of that, there's a civil lawsuit about compensation for being labeled a sex offender and the social stigma that goes with it.

The woman must be taken to the cleaners as well. She effectively kidnapped a man for 5 years. I can't see how she should not go to jail for this.

---
All western nations have this prejudiced way of dealing with men. For example, in most countries, if police is called to a domnestic disturbance, the man is taken into custody unless he's completely docile and the woman is a raging fury. When in doubt, police removes the guy.

Same with rape. In 99 out of a hundred cases, the police will treat you as guilty when you are being accused.
This is not a women against men scenario. Every single falsely accused man has a woman that is his mother, many have sisters, many have wives and daughters. False rape accusations often destroy a lot of lives.

And why in the hell does the United States have this fucked up Sex Offender registry?!

RubyT:

And why in the hell does the United States have this fucked up Sex Offender registry?!

Personally, I blame the Christians. They fucked up a lot of things in this country.

At least something good is working out for him in the end.

Can't help but think that maybe he'd already be in the NFL if he wasn't falsely convicted though.

Lagao:

Prosis:

That's the compensation for the jail time. He was talking about the compensation for the 1.5 million settlement.

I don't know about you, but to me $182,500 is not equal to 1.5 million.

It makes the OP feel good to know a man was wrongly convicted of a heinous crime on no evidence but the word of a floozy?

BathorysGraveland:

Blobpie:

This smacks of explaining (aka ruining) the joke, but I think he might have been saying that homosexuality seems like a better alternative now, what with crazy chicks 'n' all.

The real question here is how does a person spend $1.5 million in six months? If I got that kind of money I'd make that shit fucking last.

...That doesn't make me feel good at all. Sure, he got the truth out in the end, but for every case like that there's a shitload where the truth is never told.

So a girl why cries rape gets 1,5 millions. A guy who was wrongly jailed for 5 years gets 0,1825 millions. and spends another 5 years without being able to study or get a job. Sounds fair!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked