Seriously why all the hate guys.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Ok so I like to wander round the forums and find discussions about a any number of topics, games, films, ponies, but I don't comment as often as I would like because it seems that after a certain amount of time all threads turn into two sides spewing hate at each other and there is no longer any chance for a discussion above the realms of 'UR GAY NOOB'.

Now I know a lot of people's knee jerk reaction is to say something to the effect of 'this is the internet, you should grow a thicker skin or leave' and that just makes me sad, the only options I have are tolerate peoples complete lack of respect for other peoples opinions or never use the internet again. No, that is bollocks, no one should have to be in a position where they need to put up with disrespectful behaviour or leave, weather that place be real or digital.

Why are we accepting this kind of stuff as a given, and I'm not just talking about the afore mentioned 'UR GAY NOOB' scum bags, I am also talking about the people seemingly intelegent people who just shout people down in droves just because they disagree with them on a given topic or have a point of view not shared by a majority of readers. Now I have an idea that might just be mad enough for us all to have a better communicative experience, STOP INSULTING, BELITTLING, OR JUST BEING AN UNPLEASANT PERSON TO OTHER PEOPLE JUST BECAUSE YOU DISAGREE WITH THEIR OPINION, ENJOY/DISLIKE SOMETHING DIFFERENT, OR HAVE A DIFFERENT VIEW OF THE WORLD.

I've seen so many discussions just plummet into shit flinging contests just because someone has an opinion, if you disagree with someone, fine, great, we've got the potential for a potentially interesting debate and exchange of ideas, but for the love of god keep it Civil.

If you refuse to even listen to another's idea then you are close minded.
If you spew hate you have no value for a discussion.
If you resort to insults your opponent wins by default, as you have run out of valid points to make.

Well that was unpleasant, I apologise for the spelling and grammar mistakes, and before anyone smugly points out the 'irony' or 'hypocrisy' in that I am being aggressive in a (futile) attempt to stop people being aggressive, I'm not because this is in context.

When you try to discuss a subject people are emotionally involved in, you're going to get emotional responses.
Human nature.
People are actually quite pleasant towards one another so long as nothing controversial is being discussed on these forums.
There are plenty of just good old happy threads lounging around.

Passive-aggressive posts like this can be aimed at the offending minority, rather than expressed in their own thread to the general community.

Also, for the most part we're actually pretty good at not descending into insults as a community, because we've got rules and mods guarding against such a thing.

This is the internet. You should grow a thicker skin (I don't expect you to leave though).

If you don't want to see hateful responses, then don't let them happen. It's very difficult to continually muster hate against someone who isn't hating back, because that's what it's all about: the reaction. I'm not saying you should be like some dumb-ass brony and "love and tolerate," because that's bullshit since all they're really doing is a) ignoring, which isn't the same, or b) inciting more hate under the guise of "holier-than-thou-style tolerance" because they find it amusing. Just respond to legitimate points, and ignore the hateful garbage.

As for stopping hate between two or more people, that's pointless. You have no power to do so here, and you'll just wind up ignored or targeted for your trouble. They're just anonymous words, man. They don't mean much to anyone here.

Theres no arguing with Gandalf, my friend.

Anyway, that's what we do here. Don't like it? This site probably isn't the place for you then. I don't think theres a gaming forum anywhere that gets by without this stuff.

I know I'm a newbie but I haven't come across that much hate on here (hence the reason I plan to stick around). Compared to other sites I've started trawling the forums on this one seems way more rational...

Hollyday:
I know I'm a newbie but I haven't come across that much hate on here (hence the reason I plan to stick around). Compared to other sites I've started trawling the forums on this one seems way more rational...

Really, I've always found this forum a tad rough, though that might be due to it's size.

There must be some hellholes out there...

Are you talking about R&P? Because those guys are crazy.

And for the most part discussions here on the Escapist don't dissolve into shit-flinging contests

Jack the Potato:

As for stopping hate between two or more people, that's pointless. You have no power to do so here, and you'll just wind up ignored or targeted for your trouble. They're just anonymous words, man. They don't mean much to anyone here.

And to tack on to this, use the Report Button. If you really think someone crossed the line, let a mod know. It's anonymous so you won't have to worry about people attacking you (not that I've ever seen that happen here), and you can see if it breaks Forum Rules

I find that it gets rough if you start stepping on people's toes, but if you avoid personal insults, and don't rise to anyone else's personal attacks, then unless you are talking with a troll the conversation will stay on a civilized productive level... well, as productive as an argument on the internet can be.

The golden rule is just be civil to those you are trying to intellectually destroy, and they shall be civil back to you, in a creepy passive aggressive kind of way.

I generally haven't seen that many hateful threads on here (unless it relates to relationships or friend zones or gender equality or anything else like that), and I just generally ignore the posters who get on my wick. As nice as it may sound, we can't patrol the world smacking impolite people over the head, but we can ignore them and strive to be more courteous to others. Besides, I find the moderation on this site to be reasonably efficient at weeding out people who are just trying to insult others or start flamewars.

Hey, woah. No one here posts "ur gay noob". They'd get banned. The trick is to be as aggressive as possible without explicitly addressing the person you are arguing with.

For example:
"You are scum" = Forum offense
"People who think [like you do] are scum" = Perfectly fine

A lot of users here have skirting the rules down to an art. Don't trivialise it.

Also, people need to get over this idea that opinions are just opinions, and we should respect or just leave eachother's opinions alone. I say no, that's fucking stupid. Opinions don't exist in a vacuum, nor are they otherwise isolated from the real world. They affect how we behave, how we vote, how we treat others, etc. Therefore, if someone expresses sexist, racist or homophobic sentiments, I am going to call them out on it.

Vegan_Doodler:
snip

Well, I try to be civil, but sometimes when people get so unreasonable that I just can't help getting personal. I'm skirting around the problem by not posting much these days. No point in raging over others' ignorance. :/

Oh, and... LOL Y UR SO GAY NOOB!

bravo OP, bravo. We don't fling insults at each other in real life so why do we do it on the internet?, I find it very strange.

Shame your a Vegan though.

Oh trust me, that will never go away. This site has always been pretty rough and there are plenty of people who will resort to insults over making an actual argument.

manic_depressive13:
Hey, woah. No one here posts "ur gay noob". They'd get banned. The trick is to be as aggressive as possible without explicitly addressing the person you are arguing with.

For example:

Thanks for the tip, I'll remember to watch out for that....

the Internet= animosity = safety.

a majority of these people would never say anything to you in real life to your face.
the Internet gives them the safety to be a jerk with no consequences attached.

so then they feel powerful. there will always be people like this exploiting any medium to bolster their own fragile esteem

Life's too short to spend it moping around on the internet insulting people.

Everyone should be more awesome, like me.

Come now everyone, gather round while I teach you my awesome ways.

Take your clothes off.

Hollyday:

I've heard people say that before, in fact some around here have let that go to their heads. As for me, I find it incredibly sad that if this is the best the Internet has to offer as far as Internet communities go, then things are even worse than I could've imagined.

Well, fromt one stand point, you (not OP specifically) should grow thicker skin. Now, I wont say if someone is insulting you to your face you should just take it, but on a internet forum like this, its much easier to take an insult. This is mainly because they are insulting you froum profile, not you directly. In most cases, some random guy calling you a "dumbass" for whatever reason doesnt know you, they just know your profile, and maybe the few details that are included in the online profile.

Being insulted on the internet is much less personal than being insulted in Real life.

sky14kemea:

manic_depressive13:

For example:

Thanks for the tip, I'll remember to watch out for that....

Also, never argue against popular opinion. The bandwagon will just run you over.

I've been visiting this website long before I joined, and I've gotta say that people here tend to be more civilized than not. Hell, they usually make really good cases for why they think like they do. It's one of the reasons I like this forum; even if I disagree with their opinion, they normally explain their stance really well.
Yeah, there's the ocasional insult sprinkled here and there, but it isn't really hate as much as it is debate and knee jerk reactions...most of the time, anyway. Then again, I stay out of the messy forums, so I havn't seen the worst of it.

Captcha: Head case. I hope you aren't implying anything, computer. I am near the socket, you know.

Vegan_Doodler:
STOP INSULTING, BELITTLING, OR JUST BEING AN UNPLEASANT PERSON TO OTHER PEOPLE JUST BECAUSE YOU DISAGREE WITH THEIR OPINION, ENJOY/DISLIKE SOMETHING DIFFERENT, OR HAVE A DIFFERENT VIEW OF THE WORLD.

You just summed up half of the rules that most people seem to miss on their way in. Of course, people ignoring that means more exercise for the banhammers.

Lionsfan:
Are you talking about R&P?
R&P

R&P

R&P

*Hisses*
Do not mention the name of that place in Off-Topic! It is a bad omen, a thing of pure evil!

"No, that is bollocks, no one should have to be in a position where they need to put up with disrespectful behaviour or leave"

I should have left after reading that, all I got out of it was a migraine and dizziness, probably a nosebleed if I stay here much longer.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Theres no arguing with Gandalf, my friend.

Anyway, that's what we do here. Don't like it? This site probably isn't the place for you then. I don't think theres a gaming forum anywhere that gets by without this stuff.

What are you talking about? gamefaqs.com has never shown even the slight tendencies of incivility or... yeah I can't say this with a serious face...

OT: It's not as much as people hating someone because someone disagrees it's a lot about the way they go around stating it.

When there's a subject I feel strongly about and can talk at length I will write a wall of text. Starting I will say my brief opening statement. Then I will move on to mention every detail I can come up with that is relevant and trying to not go on for too long. I will then break down what I said into a final statement, sometimes with a joke.

If someone comes in and disagrees with my entire post because of statement number 3 without even bothering to put any thought into what I was saying I get a bit annoyed and this might lead to a heated discussion that you call hate.

Here's something that I don't get.

A lot of people don't like the state of the world today. I get it. A lot of people angry at something. At the very least, they will insult you. At the very most, they will take that anger and try to end you and everything you love. It's not a kind, caring world out there, so I guess a lot of people have the right to feel cheesed off.

However, you don't solve something by giving into it. If you dislike it, be the change. If you lament that the world has become 'full of assholes', why turn into asshole number 3,475,196,328? now, I'm not saying don't stand your ground, but I know for a fact I listen to people much more when they let the strength of their argument speak for them. To color responses, arguments, and queries with the oh so fashionable House-like vitriol put people on the defensive and almost all hopes of communication of ideas are now broke down.

I mean, if you want to laud your innate superiority to everyone and just show why you're right all the time, by all means go forward. And to some extent, I think that's what it is nowadays. People don't want a frank discussion of ideas, they just want to express what they think is correct and them lambaste anyone who dares not agree with them fully.

So, in short:

phoenixlink:
the Internet= animosity = safety.

a majority of these people would never say anything to you in real life to your face.
the Internet gives them the safety to be a jerk with no consequences attached.

so then they feel powerful. there will always be people like this exploiting any medium to bolster their own fragile esteem

^this.

Greyfox105:

Vegan_Doodler:
STOP INSULTING, BELITTLING, OR JUST BEING AN UNPLEASANT PERSON TO OTHER PEOPLE JUST BECAUSE YOU DISAGREE WITH THEIR OPINION, ENJOY/DISLIKE SOMETHING DIFFERENT, OR HAVE A DIFFERENT VIEW OF THE WORLD.

You just summed up half of the rules that most people seem to miss on their way in. Of course, people ignoring that means more exercise for the banhammers.

Lionsfan:
Are you talking about R&P?
R&P

R&P

R&P

*Hisses*
Do not mention the name of that place in Off-Topic! It is a bad omen, a thing of pure evil!

Oh really?

Ahem.

Oh mighty R&P gods, please, smite Greyfox for committing such blasphemy, she fears your mighty roles and your mighty plays, she question your motives and wishes to see you gone from this world!

Vegan_Doodler:
Ok so I like to wander round the forums and find discussions about a any number of topics, games, films, ponies, but I don't comment as often as I would like because it seems that after a certain amount of time all threads turn into two sides spewing hate at each other and there is no longer any chance for a discussion above the realms of 'UR GAY NOOB'.

Now I know a lot of people's knee jerk reaction is to say something to the effect of 'this is the internet, you should grow a thicker skin or leave' and that just makes me sad, the only options I have are tolerate peoples complete lack of respect for other peoples opinions or never use the internet again. No, that is bollocks, no one should have to be in a position where they need to put up with disrespectful behaviour or leave, weather that place be real or digital.

Why are we accepting this kind of stuff as a given, and I'm not just talking about the afore mentioned 'UR GAY NOOB' scum bags, I am also talking about the people seemingly intelegent people who just shout people down in droves just because they disagree with them on a given topic or have a point of view not shared by a majority of readers. Now I have an idea that might just be mad enough for us all to have a better communicative experience, STOP INSULTING, BELITTLING, OR JUST BEING AN UNPLEASANT PERSON TO OTHER PEOPLE JUST BECAUSE YOU DISAGREE WITH THEIR OPINION, ENJOY/DISLIKE SOMETHING DIFFERENT, OR HAVE A DIFFERENT VIEW OF THE WORLD.

I've seen so many discussions just plummet into shit flinging contests just because someone has an opinion, if you disagree with someone, fine, great, we've got the potential for a potentially interesting debate and exchange of ideas, but for the love of god keep it Civil.

If you refuse to even listen to another's idea then you are close minded.
If you spew hate you have no value for a discussion.
If you resort to insults your opponent wins by default, as you have run out of valid points to make.

Well that was unpleasant, I apologise for the spelling and grammar mistakes, and before anyone smugly points out the 'irony' or 'hypocrisy' in that I am being aggressive in a (futile) attempt to stop people being aggressive, I'm not because this is in context.

I think a large part of it is the lack of emotional cues with the statements which leads people to read in to them their own state which just creates a nasty feed back loop, hypothetically anyway.

370999:

Hollyday:

Really, I've always found this forum a tad rough, though that might be due to it's size.

There must be some hellholes out there...

In my opinion this forum is like a school.

If you conform then you're not going to get picked on, if you say something that goes against everyone else's opinion then they're going to flame you. But then again that's most of the internet..

It just gets me that on threads like these the culprits never post or try and make out that they're not a culprit.

Lionsfan:
Are you talking about R&P? Because those guys are crazy.

And for the most part discussions here on the Escapist don't dissolve into shit-flinging contests

WHY WOULD YOU MENTION THAT SUBFORM AUGH

But really, this. The OP says "all threads" turn binary and angry. I've not seen ANY of that recently. At all. I've seen threads derailed, I've seen them double-derailed, I've seen threads rerailed, I've seen threads where pretty much EVERYONE turns on the OP, I've seen binary threads where people still stayed civil throughout, I've even seen threads get eaten by SpiderPony, but I've not seen these oh-so-present fury threads.

I think they only happen in the [shudder] [seizure] [stroke] R&P forum [/stroke] [/seizure] [/shudder], which I avoid like it's made of radioactive lava-streaked poo.

Every escapist "discussion" thread ever.

"Hey escapist, i do not like X/i am of the opinion that X is Y"
"Why?"
"Points"
"Counter Points"
"FU FU FU FU FU FU FU"
repeat

Daystar Clarion:
Oh really?

Ahem.

Oh mighty R&P gods, please, smite Greyfox for committing such blasphemy, she fears your mighty roles and your mighty plays, she question you motives and wishes to see you gone from this world!

OH GOD

DAYSTAR

WHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

they come

they come they come they come they come they come

Angry Juju:
It just gets me that on threads like these the culprits never post or try and make out that they're not a culprit.

I posted. Does that revoke my culprit status?

OT: I actually just came back because I have another awesome DWI image I want to share. Enjoy, OP.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Angry Juju:

I posted. Does that revoke my culprit status?

OT: I actually just came back because I have another awesome DWI image I want to share. Enjoy, OP.

Oh please, Smash.

Your the culpritingessty culprit that every culprited a culprit.

manic_depressive13:

Also, people need to get over this idea that opinions are just opinions, and we should respect or just leave eachother's opinions alone. I say no, that's fucking stupid. Opinions don't exist in a vacuum, nor are they otherwise isolated from the real world. They affect how we behave, how we vote, how we treat others, etc. Therefore, if someone expresses sexist, racist or homophobic sentiments, I am going to call them out on it.

Sexist, racist or homophobic sentiments have no intellectual value and are just spewing more shit that everyone else needs to sift through, so I thank you for calling them on that but what I can't stand is when someone expresses an opinion that's not popular, for instance something as trivial as "I don't like The Godfather films" or "I don't like Skyrim" and everyone will treat that person like a moron just because that person dared to voice an opinion, that is what kills discussion and just has everyone agreeing with false smiles.

Daystar Clarion:
-Snip-
Oh really?

Ahem.

Oh mighty -Filthy snip- gods, please, smite Greyfox for committing such blasphemy, she fears your mighty roles and your mighty plays, she question your motives and wishes to see you gone from this world!

Wait, mighty roles and plays?
Are you confusing our grand Role Playing forum with that... other, horrible place that also has the same two letters, but includes an "&"?
Because I'm fine with the Role Playing forum. Hell, I joined a good little RP, and I'm waiting for other people to actually post.

370999:
-Snip-

Like you. Stop doing other things and make Vane dance for my character. I'll pay you in half-eaten hamburgers.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked